Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #31
MemoriesintheMaking
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
What about an instrument? Do you think he could handle a small keyboard? I think they make some where the keys light up to play the song. You could plug it in to earphones so others don't always have to hear.
Hi I just found this board today, and I know this thread is old, but just wanted to pop in. We care for my 32 year old brother with cerebral palsy. I think the above idea is a nice one. He could even plug in headphones into the keyboard if they are in a public place. My brother loves music. He used to do this, but grew out of it after a while. But it was a nice hobby for a bit.

Also, my db loves books on cd. Our local library has a good selection, he buys sets that he know he likes and will listen to again, and I can't remember the name of it right now, but I've seen a website that will loan out books on cd, kind of like Netflix but with books. I don't know your db's attention span ability, but it might work. My db loves movies also, especially old classics, and he loves to get book versions of some of his favorites. Just another idea.

I am truly sorry your mom has issues with letting others help. Hopefully, someday she will be able to see that it's actually doing a disservice to all involved - your brother, herself, and you.

Sept 2007: DLH --- Oct 2008: Hojo's --- Aug 2011: DLH --- May 2013: DLH

MemoriesintheMaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #32
jodifla

DIS Veteran

How about a Wii??
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2011, 04:10 AM   #33
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

MemoriesintheMaking

Welcome
Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #34
MemoriesintheMaking
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormde View Post
MemoriesintheMaking

Welcome
Thank you!

Sept 2007: DLH --- Oct 2008: Hojo's --- Aug 2011: DLH --- May 2013: DLH

MemoriesintheMaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #35
brat
DIS Veteran

an autograph book, the ipad and movies, greeting cards or post cards, the wii, fact flash cards from a teacher supply store, maybe the step by step cards sp. ed uses to teach the order to do things he would do at home. Autographs of news anchors that you e-mail asking them.Photos of family to oraganize.A tape recorder. Floam, a collectable card deck. rubics cube jr. colored pencils or twistable crayons that look more adult.If he is safe with balloons a picture how to book on making balloon animals.lanyard making kit.the make a pair of moccasins kit.books on tape.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #36
CHICKENLEG
Earning My Ears

Kindle or Nook?

There are some simple games available for the Kindle or Nook but there are also options for the gadget to read to you. I adore my Kindle and have had HUGELY positive reactions when I use it with the little ones I support in school. (I am a paraeducator) It has gotten the most positive response from the little computer obsessed boys. But this might allow your brother to polish some old skills and perhaps even develop new ones. If you go the Ipad route there is free kindle software you can download. Then you could keep him 'stocked' by giving him amazon gift cards, or buying him some of your favorites. There is a lot less worry about it being a 'baby' book if you tell him you love this book & reread it often, though I work in education and all of us read intermediates and everybody books so my take on things is probably skewed.

Your brother really needs a job and I'm sorry to suggest this but you might need to keep this from mom. Maybe it can be his job to bring a bag w/ his games or his Ipad/kindle/whatever, and to also bring Mom a bottle of water. He can watch her for when she needs it and give Mom the water when she needs to be refreshed? You know him better so you'll come up with a more appropriate version of this, but hopefully you get the idea. You say that his behaviors are inappropriate, I would bet that is because his whole world has shifted around. He needs to know where his place in this world is.

If the first 30 ideas you try don't work, go on to the next 30.
CHICKENLEG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: