Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #31
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

I've been having a bit of a wobble when it comes to accessories. I have a beautiful necklace given to me by my grandmother before she passed away. It was given to her by my grandfather (who passed away before I was born) whilst they were courting I also picked up 3 more colourful necklaces in the sales that work well with my shoes and colour scheme, but I'm just not sure about them.

First of all, here's a detail picture of the dress. It doesn't show up all that well but it's ivory satin with lace overlay which has gold metallic thread running through it. The jewelled belt is in antiqued silver tones.

This is my grandmothers necklace

Because of the warm tones and gold thread I'm not 100% certain that silver accessories would work, and the shoes I've bought have a gold heel to tie in with the dress too so I'm really not sure!

Then there are the necklaces I picked up in the sales

I do like that they're not as traditional but looking at them now I'm concerned they might be a little too modern for the dress. They go well with the shoes though!

What do you think?

Because I managed to buy everything super cheap in the sales I'm not adverse to starting from scratch. But then I'm back to square one. I'd like to wear a statement piece of jewellery but it's got to work with the dress. Finding statement pieces in gold tones has turned out to be quite difficult and I'm not sure they would actually suit me anyway. But then I'm not sure if silver works either!

Has anyone else seen anything that they think would work?!
14 Nights with Mum YC & OKW Oct 2012

angel81uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #32
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

If the gold threads on your dress aren't too prominent, I think it would work. After all, the jewel detail on your dress seems to be silver tones (or does it just appear like that in the photo?) If it is just indecision, what about wearing you Grandmother's (gorgeous) necklace for the ceremony and then changing into another for the bridal portraits and/or reception? Of the three coloured ones, my favourite is the third one (the one pictured with your shoe), but they are all lovely!!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #33
KristiLyn
Fab Five Member!

Wow ALL of that is lovely. I like the idea of wearing your grandmothers necklace for the ceremony (for sentimental reasons) and then changing to the last necklace after. It's AMAZING, and so are those shoes!!!!
KristiLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #34
lt90
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to add I love your colours!!!! I think the shoes and necklace work great!!
lt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #35
ckpoodge
Mouseketeer

Hi there.

I wasn't going to post a reply, but I saw your grandmother's necklace, and it looks almost EXACTLY like my grandmother's necklace.

I was in a similar predicament - my DH to be wanted me to wear the heart of the ocean necklace he got me, but I wanted to wear my grandmother's necklace (since she is no longer with us).

I don't know where I got the idea, but I turned the necklace into a tiara, and that's how I'm going to wear it - I get the best of both worlds. I'm sure you can do the same with your grandmother's necklace - either a tiara or a headband of some sort.

BTW - it was really easy to do - get craft wire and clear fishing line - wrap the line around the craft wire and between the stones on the necklace. You can mold it to how you need it.

We were married at the Happiest Place On Earth!
ckpoodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 AM   #36
angel81uk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
If the gold threads on your dress aren't too prominent, I think it would work. After all, the jewel detail on your dress seems to be silver tones (or does it just appear like that in the photo?) If it is just indecision, what about wearing you Grandmother's (gorgeous) necklace for the ceremony and then changing into another for the bridal portraits and/or reception? Of the three coloured ones, my favourite is the third one (the one pictured with your shoe), but they are all lovely!!!
Thanks Joanne, that's my favourite of the coloured necklaces too. I think I'm going to have to go with something a little more neutral though as finding earrings to match the green/turquoise necklaces will be a nightmare I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiLyn View Post
Wow ALL of that is lovely. I like the idea of wearing your grandmothers necklace for the ceremony (for sentimental reasons) and then changing to the last necklace after. It's AMAZING, and so are those shoes!!!!
I'm beginning to wish I'd never seen those shoes, it would be so much easier if I'd bought regular ivory bridal shoes! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt90 View Post
Just wanted to add I love your colours!!!! I think the shoes and necklace work great!!
Thank you! I do love the colours, I just wish I didn't keep on having these doubts about everything. I'm sure it will all come together somehow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpoodge View Post
Hi there.

I wasn't going to post a reply, but I saw your grandmother's necklace, and it looks almost EXACTLY like my grandmother's necklace.

I was in a similar predicament - my DH to be wanted me to wear the heart of the ocean necklace he got me, but I wanted to wear my grandmother's necklace (since she is no longer with us).

I don't know where I got the idea, but I turned the necklace into a tiara, and that's how I'm going to wear it - I get the best of both worlds. I'm sure you can do the same with your grandmother's necklace - either a tiara or a headband of some sort.

BTW - it was really easy to do - get craft wire and clear fishing line - wrap the line around the craft wire and between the stones on the necklace. You can mold it to how you need it.
I love the idea of turning it in to a tiara, I bet it will look great! Unfortunately I look hideous in a tiara. Infact the way I'm feeling right now I'm thinking a paper bag over the head might be more appropriate!
14 Nights with Mum YC & OKW Oct 2012

angel81uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: