Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
mbb
Wishin' & Clappin' & always Believin!
Traumatized by Neil Diamond lyrics as a child
Enjoys the "night sparkles"

Pancakes
Waffles
MacDonald's chicken nuggets
French fries
Garlic fingers with cheese (both)
Pizza with cheese and tomoto sauce (just one)
Tomato soup (just one)
Peanut butter sandwiches
dry Cereal
Ice cream, or really, really ice creamy tasting frozen yogurt
Scrambled eggs, with pancake syrup (hey, if it works! )

Milk - white or chocolate
Water
V8 fusion juices are new in the last month

Snack items:
Plain chips
Pretzels
Multi-grain tostitos
Oreo cookies
Cinnamon rolls
Chocolate chip bear paws (just one)
Molasses bear baws (just one)
Goldfish crackers
Banana bread

Peanut safe sandwiches - soy "pea" nut butter - little grainier than good ole Kraft, but they're old enough to understand that if a sandwich is what they want for lunch, it can't be a sandwich that will hurt someone else.

For extra protein:
Hemp hearts in cookies, and banana bread
Amway/Nutrilite makes a protein powder suitable for cooking with - pancakes and waffles works well
Boost/pediasure/ensure/protein drinks - we try them all

Fruit and vegetable supplements
Again, Nutrilite supplements are what our boys will tolerate.
We've tried them all!

We've always tried to provide a choice through social stories...they love reading labels, so showing them daily intake values, and daily percentages helps get the message home
Not that they'll eat it, but they sure can recite it! LOL
I figure, baby steps first...and we go from there.

They can swallow pills, thank goodness!!
Echinacea, week on, week off
Vit C and D
Fish oil

And they're healthy, active kids.

I try to let go of the guilt - esp when well meaning friends or family members comment on their "lack" of nutrition....and they go on to tell me how they would NEVER eat xxx food when they were kids/or had kids!!!

It's all good.
I have to remind myself of it sometimes, though!

HTH
Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #17
mbb
Wishin' & Clappin' & always Believin!
Traumatized by Neil Diamond lyrics as a child
Enjoys the "night sparkles"

Oh, other posters have mentioned purees...

Try Jessica Seinfeld's book Deceptively Delicious.

Who cares if she really wrote it , the recipes are good

http://www.doitdelicious.com/
And apparently, has a new book out too.

There you go!!

Register to remove

Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
brergnat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb View Post
Oh, other posters have mentioned purees...

Try Jessica Seinfeld's book Deceptively Delicious.

Who cares if she really wrote it , the recipes are good

http://www.doitdelicious.com/
And apparently, has a new book out too.

There you go!!

I got this book to give me ideas. I've incorporated a lot of IDEAS. The actual recipes look overly complicated and not very "sensory kid friendly".

I stole the idea of adding purees to desserts like brownies. That was a good one. I've just adaped many of her recipes to things my kids will actually eat (they won't actually eat almost anything in her book the way she wrote it).

It is a decent book, if you can get it for a good price. Knowing how to make all the different purees is good.
brergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #19
bellebud
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMom View Post
I guess I'll calm down for now. He is weight is great. Between fortified/whole grain options of his foods and the dairy & gummy vitamins, he appears to get his nutritional needs met. It just disappoints me a little to make food for the rest of family that he won't touch.

Thanks again for keeping me sane.
I wanted to respond because I know it's sometimes hard for a parent to know when a behavior is from a kid's diag. or they're just being a kid.

My ds9 is just a regular, pain in the butt kid with food. He used to eat EVERYTHING when he was a toddler (stuffed mushrooms, eggplant parm, garlic shrimp, etc - stuff other kids/toddlers would never consider touching). Then it stopped one day.

Anyway, he's gone through stages in the past few years of "I ONLY eat nuggets"... "I ONLY eat raviolis", etc. He'd eat the same thing for bkfst, lunch and dinner if I let him (I don't let him, but he'll still try). His food kicks usually last about 6 months (of course, I can't get the timing down, so I'll stock up on raviolis, then he decides he doesn't like them anymore one morning -thank goodness they're frozen and i can save them). I make him a different dinner than our family dinner almost every night. I know - many parents would say don't. But it's not a 'cooked' dinner type thing - it's quick nuggets, etc.

He chocked (pretty seriously) 3x's in a few months period (on a lifesaver where my dh did the heimlich to dislodge it), on popcorn, and something else I cannot remember. He's scared to eat certain foods (he says chicken is too dry and sticks to his throat and he's scared of choking again, etc). I feel 1/2 of it is true, and 1/2 of it is he's just a pain in the butt and I'm an enabler.

But in my defense of being an enabler, growing up, we were always allowed to get a bowl of cheerios or make a simple sandwich if we didn't like what was made for dinner, and I feel the same way. (and honestly, my mom wasn't the best cook, and she'd cook yucky things for my dad (yucky to a kid at least), so we kids ate a lot of cheerios and sandwiches - LOL).

My dh used to always laugh at me for not caring if I had a hot, meat and potatoes dinner - I'd always be like "a bowl of cereal is fine" (like if we forgot to defrost something) - whereas dh, who always had a nice, hot dinner every night growing up, cannot function without a meat/potatoes dinner every night. He's simply lost.

He then heard both my brothers over the years say "a bowl of cereal is fine for dinner" and he was like "you people and your cereal!! you're weird!!" I say we're flexible! LOL!

Anyway, the docs have also always told me to not worry about the kids and their food, as long as they're a healthy weight and healthy overall. It all balances out, and the body usually craves what it's lacking. I do give a multivitamin, but the docs don't even think it's necessary.

So don't sweat it (I know it's hard sometimes though).
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #20
HeatherL
Mouseketeer

Have you thought about a consultation with a feeding therapist? They are usually speech therapists or OT's who specialize in this area. I have heard many success stories from kids with sensory issues who receive feeding therapy.
DS #1-9 DS #2-7
Grand Floridian-1990
Caribbean Beach-1994
Beach Club honeymoon-2000
Caribbean Beach-2005
All-Star Music Family Suites-May 2011
HeatherL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: