Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Flower & Garden Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I grew a pumpkin!

I planted some pumpkin seeds, and didn't expect much. Didn't see any pumpkins but the vine grew wild. I was harvesting some tomatoes and found a pumpkin about the size of a soccer ball under the foilage!

Did anyone else grow their own jack o lantern?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Congratulations! I haven't grown a pumpkin since I was a child.

Rebecca
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
tnkr mom
DIS Veteran

We did grow pumpkins; only two turned out (orange) before something ate most of them this year!

Saw in your siggy Cape May, NJ - we LOVE the beach area down near The Cove restaurant! Even had our family photo taken there this summer.....which reminds me I have to order them before Christmas comes, LOL!!
Off Property 80's - All Star Music 90's, Wilderness Lodge '04 - PO Riverside '05, Rosen Center 1/06, All Star Sports 8/06, Animal Kingdom Lodge 3/07, Pop Century 10/08 for MNSSHP; DD March 09 Cheerleading @ Univ Trip, April 2009 DD Senior Class Trip Grad Night! And Lots and Lots of Trips to the Most Magical Place On Earth!
* Always looking for a deal to go back! *
tnkr mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkr mom View Post
We did grow pumpkins; only two turned out (orange) before something ate most of them this year!

Saw in your siggy Cape May, NJ - we LOVE the beach area down near The Cove restaurant! Even had our family photo taken there this summer.....which reminds me I have to order them before Christmas comes, LOL!!
Congratulations on getting 2, I've only one!

We had a 4 generation family photo taken in '07 by the beach by the bay at the Fisherman's memorial. It came out lovely, and I hope yours did too!

Bobbi
Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Bella_Tink
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your pumpkin!!! That is one of my goals for next year...a home-grown jack-o-lantern.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
tnkr mom
DIS Veteran

Don't have a pic on my computer but last year I carved a purchased white pumpkin from a Tinker Bell stencil and used a battery operated color changing light -
So cute
Off Property 80's - All Star Music 90's, Wilderness Lodge '04 - PO Riverside '05, Rosen Center 1/06, All Star Sports 8/06, Animal Kingdom Lodge 3/07, Pop Century 10/08 for MNSSHP; DD March 09 Cheerleading @ Univ Trip, April 2009 DD Senior Class Trip Grad Night! And Lots and Lots of Trips to the Most Magical Place On Earth!
* Always looking for a deal to go back! *
tnkr mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

We DID have one growing but MIL knows nothing about pumpkins or squash, thought we were growing it for the table and cut it "so it wouldn't rot away". Grrrrrrrrrr DS(10) was growing it for a competition to grow the biggest pumkin by halloween, and he was one of the few kids in the school who had one.
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
DebšošS
DISneyngardenFANopics
Better get back to my laughing place for cheese

Location: 1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home"resort The Boardwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
I planted some pumpkin seeds, and didn't expect much. Didn't see any pumpkins but the vine grew wild. I was harvesting some tomatoes and found a pumpkin about the size of a soccer ball under the foilage!

Did anyone else grow their own jack o lantern?
Congratulations! It's so exciting! I love growing pumpkinsUnfortunately the deer love pumpkins too
We've picked 3 large ones and 4 small so far. Lost quite a few to the deer. Right now I'm guarding 4 with baskets at night. One is already huge and turning orange!

DebšošS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
JulieK2000
Earning My Ears

Congrats!! We didn't get any pumpkins this year (we got squash bugs... nasty little things that wrecked the vines before we realized what they were...) there's always next year though

Not sure when we're going back to Disney... but I do know it's not soon enough!!!
JulieK2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions

I found another, smaller one. I picked it as soon as I saw it and we brought it to the pet cemetery where the ashes of our dear dogs are buried. It was just the right size to put on their marker.

Deb, did the ones you were protecting, make it?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #11
Compte de Yoyo
..mostly Harmless..

We grew our first pumpkin(s) this year too! WOW are those plants HUGE! We had two types, a regular "jack o lantern" type and then a small container of little ones. We got two larger pumpkins, maybe two or four pounds and then four TEENIE ones, from 2 inches to four inches that were super cute. We're doing to do more of the latter next year, being city apartment dwellers :D

°○° Disneyland, California :\: Disneyworld, Florida
Adventures by Disney ☼ Peru '08 Miraflores :\: Cusco :\: Sacred Valley :\: Machu Picchu
Compte de Yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
bobbiwoz
I have 2 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compte de Yoyo View Post
We grew our first pumpkin(s) this year too! WOW are those plants HUGE! We had two types, a regular "jack o lantern" type and then a small container of little ones. We got two larger pumpkins, maybe two or four pounds and then four TEENIE ones, from 2 inches to four inches that were super cute. We're doing to do more of the latter next year, being city apartment dwellers :D
It's so satisfying, isn't it? Congratulations!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: