Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
Rora
I'm the needy, sexy Unicorn fruit-hating Ballerina
I just eat it. I bite into it.

My alltime favorite is The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Especially the book illustrated by Ruth Sanders, she is fantastic!!

I also love Stone Soup, Cabbage Rose, and Ella Enchanted.

I specialized in child literature in Grad School and found so many amazing fairy tales but I will always love every single Disney "fairy tale"/movie. Always!

Best of luck to you on your new book!!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #17
kimono rose
In a world of my own

My favorite fairy tale is Little Red Riding Hood, I have no idea why it's my favorite, I guess I just like the story. I've liked it for a long time.

Another favorite is The Little Match Girl, the story is so sad and I cry every time!

I have a book called The Children's Treasury, I've had it for a long time there are lots of good stories, it's worth it to check out!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #18
Craftsman Revival
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
The myth of Cupid and Psyche has always appealed to me because Psyche got so far because of her kindness (not an unusual theme in fairy tales, I suppose). I also enjoyed Bluebeard. What can I say other than sometimes I find the macabre fascinating?
Yes, Cupid and Psyche is a gorgeous tale! Bluebeard is definitely macabre, although I agree the oedipal-tinged fairy tales have a place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
I'm not a huge Bruno Bettlheim fan, but I do think he has a point that the heroines (and, let's remember, heroes) of many classic fairy tales are somewhat passive because children feel they have little influence over their environment and are encouraged by stories that show people who do their best with little power and succeed, rather than because they were putting women down.
Yes, so true. This is one reason I wanted the heroine in the story to earn her way to being Queen, instead of being plucked out of obscurity for just being pretty and quiet

Thank you so much for all the references! I'm going to read these this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrHawk View Post
Growing up I always like "The Bremen Town Musicians", though I couldn't tell you why.

In a more modern sense, I love the graphic novel Fables.
I love the Bremen Town Musicians too! Mostly b/c they seemed fun to me as a child. I haven't heard of Fables but am going to check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
My favorite is Sleeping Beauty mostly because of Maleficent. So obviously I love Disney's version. I always thought that Aurora was the prettiest princess too when I was a girl - don't ask me why.

My son's favorite seemed to be the Lion King. I think that he could relate to the boy Simba in a way.
I love Sleeping Beauty for the artwork and the music, but also b/c its a classic fairy tale. I heard that Tim Burton is thinking of making a Disney movie from Maleficent's POV? If true, that could be really fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rora View Post
My alltime favorite is The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Especially the book illustrated by Ruth Sanders, she is fantastic!!

I also love Stone Soup, Cabbage Rose, and Ella Enchanted.

I specialized in child literature in Grad School and found so many amazing fairy tales but I will always love every single Disney "fairy tale"/movie. Always!

Best of luck to you on your new book!!
That sounds like a fun specialty!! And thanks 12 Dancing Princesses is a fun one, especially b/c of all the variety of versions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimono rose View Post
My favorite fairy tale is Little Red Riding Hood, I have no idea why it's my favorite, I guess I just like the story. I've liked it for a long time.

Another favorite is The Little Match Girl, the story is so sad and I cry every time!

I have a book called The Children's Treasury, I've had it for a long time there are lots of good stories, it's worth it to check out!
The Little Match Girl used to be one of my favorites as a child too Such a beautiful story, and very sad...
Craftsman Revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #19
Mickey527
DIS Veteran

I definately would choose ANY of the Disney fairy tales over the original versions.
Way back in the olden days.. when I was in college I took a Children's lit course. We had to read the original Grimms Fairy tales. They were really grim.
I can't remember exactly but something like this:
The big bad wolf killed grandma and chewed her apart and then he got Red Riding Hood.
Hansel got cooked in the stove before Gretal could save him.
Gepetto died in the Whale.
I am going to get up to the attic and dig up that book again. But get the originals from the library, it is quite a change in storyline.

Tags
fairy tale, favorite, prince, princess, story

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: