Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #616
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

Missing pics have been located. Pics were not missing. Tink is a word that rhymes with shmidiot. Pics are currently being uploaded to Photobucket. Update immiment.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #617
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
Missing pics have been located. Pics were not missing. Tink is a word that rhymes with shmidiot. Pics are currently being uploaded to Photobucket. Update immiment.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #618
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
YES!

A Tink update!!!!

I mean that in all sincerity, I've missed having you here.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #619
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
YES!

A Tink update!!!!

I mean that in all sincerity, I've missed having you here.
And I sincerely missed being here.

Just about done resizing. This "work" thing keeps getting in the way.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #620
Tinkerbellarella

The One Where Tink Is BACK!!!

Oh my goodness.
Look at this place!
It's all familiar...and cozy-like!

Oh how I've MISSED this lil' trip report of ours.

Lemme stretch out here and put my feet up and I'll continue our tale.
Gather 'round children and let me speak to you about...

Getting up at 5 a.m.

Yes, THAT 5 a.m.
On vacation.
In Disney.

Unfortunately I work an hour and a half from home. And in order to be up, presentable and on time, I have to get up at 5 a.m. Monday through Friday. And that internal alarm doesn't really have an OFF button anymore. So, on every morning of our trip I was up at 5 a.m.

While normally one might think, "THE HORROR!", yeahhhhh, not so much for me. I love me some early morning Disney. The Disney "coffee walk" as it's been coined here on the DIS. (Did ZZUB start that? I miss Z.) A'course, I'm not out and about getting coffee. I more prefer the walk part of it.

Each night before retiring, I'd get my outfit ready for the next day. I'd shower in the evening, leaving TK the shower at her leisure for the whole morning. When my internal alarm would go off, I'd tiptoe into the bathroom and change up in there. Mind you, I wasn't what I'd call "pretty-fied" but I was presentable enough for anyone I'd encounter on my walk in the early morning light.

Namely bunnies. And ducks. And the occasional human being who hopefully had forgotten to put his/her contacts in before leaving their room to encounter, well, the lovlieness that is me sans make-up at 5 a.m.

The morning of my very first walk was the earliest I was out. I think I was walking by 5:10 a.m. It was lovely - mostly dark with bits of lavender just starting to peek in on the horizon. It was a little humid still, from the typhoon that had blown us back to the resort the night before, and warm, but nothing unbearable. I felt the tiniest bit stuffy and my throat was a little scratchy, but I figured it was nothing but the AC.

Remember that for later.

I walked with a purpose that morning because truthfully, I also woke up a little bit sad. As TK mentioned eons ago now, the last time I'd stayed at CBR had been with my grandparents, circa 1993. My grandmother was like a second mother to me and we were very, very close. About 8 months after our trip she passed away, succumbing to a very long battle with lung cancer. Twelve days before Christmas. I'd not returned to the resort since and, for a while, wasn't sure I'd ever be able to. During our planning, though, I realized that I did want to return. And I wanted to do it with a good friend who would understand how tangible memories can be in the right place and the right time. Given the recent events in TK's life, it seems timely that I'm writing this post now.

Love you, girlie! I do.

On my last trip we'd stayed in Trinidad South. I had no idea what our room number was but, for some reason, the building location and, specifically, the courtyard were very sharp memories in my mind. I'd set out to find that very spot, sit a spell, and think on my grandmother. I headed around the back part of the oval, moving away from the front of the resort. It was quiet and for a long time, I was the only one out. Soon, the bunnies started to venture out and then race back into the brush when they heard my sneakers. The ducks began quacking, but quietly, as if they knew it was too early to get their real quack on. I made it to Trinidad South and wandered a bit. I found the quiet pool and after that it was like GPS was pulling me back to that room from 16 years before.

I found the courtyard.
I sat.
I even cried a little.
And I had a few moments, just me and my gram.

I collected myself and headed out to finish the walk. I've done the "coffee walk" in quite a few places - ASMu, POP, the Poly, the Swolphin/Epcot resort area, and the CBR "coffee walk" is the best. Really. Even better than the Poly. I think it's actually because the resort is so big. The grounds are as lush as the Poly, but there's more of them. Everything is so well-maintained. Unless you're around the OPR area, you'd never know you were in Disney. Over the next 3 days I took lots of pictures. I can't distinguish, anymore, what picture was taken when, so here are some of my favorites from my 3 days worth of walks:

Setting out from Jamaica at dawn:

Trinidad North and OPR:

Heading towards the "back" of the resort, I'd go over this bridge...

and then under it...

right by this guy:

"Sand" turtles by the beach near OPR (they're concrete):

Looking across, at Castaway Cay in the foreground, and then Jamaica:

Main pool area:

OPR:

The Marina and Bike Rental:

Jamaica from OPR:

Heading over the island (NOLost) - Hi Man and Cute Child! I'd like to think they weren't running away from the crazy lady with the camera:

I heart this shot:

The paths meander all over the island:

Seriously, the most idyllic spot for a nap, no?

Dude this bridge is steep. I keep trying to imagine navigating it after a new too many...Matter of fact, the way this pic is tilted, it looks like I've ALREADY had too many LOL!

Sunrise in 'Jamaica':

The beach/playground in Jamaica from the "Don't Cross Whilst Drunk" bridge:

Our "home" building:

SO. GREEN. (And yellow and blue.)

Old 05-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #621
TarzansKat

Quote:

Each night before retiring, I'd get my outfit ready for the next day. I'd shower in the evening, leaving TK the shower at her leisure for the whole morning. When my internal alarm would go off, I'd tiptoe into the bathroom and change up in there.
Yes, folks. She is one of the most considerate people I've ever traveled with. And you can't have her. She's mine. So there, Tink's BF!!!!

Quote:
I felt the tiniest bit stuffy and my throat was a little scratchy, but I figured it was nothing but the AC.

Remember that for later.
Cue ominous and foreboding music.

Quote:
Given the recent events in TK's life, it seems timely that I'm writing this post now.

Love you, girlie! I do.

I found the courtyard.
I sat.
I even cried a little.
Thank you. I know how hard it was, and yet how happy you were to stay at this resort with me, and I feel priviliged...honored really, that you considered it to be an option.

Given that I can't even think of staying anywhere I've stayed with my mom right now, I can understand what kind of moments those would have been for you just thinking of your gram.

And I love you, too.

And just think, now your gram and my mom will be able to watch all our crazy antics and sit back and laugh.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #622
TarzansKat

Quote:

Heading over the island (NOLost) - Hi Man and Cute Child! I'd like to think they weren't running away from the crazy lady with the camera:

Sunrise in 'Jamaica':

You do realize that you were stalking the man and cute child, right?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #623
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
Yes, folks. She is one of the most considerate people I've ever traveled with.
I try.

Quote:
And you can't have her. She's mine. So there, Tink's BF!!!!
Were he reading this he'd say, "There are days you can have her!" LOL
Jerk.

Quote:
Thank you. I know how hard it was, and yet how happy you were to stay at this resort with me, and I feel priviliged...honored really, that you considered it to be an option.

Given that I can't even think of staying anywhere I've stayed with my mom right now, I can understand what kind of moments those would have been for you just thinking of your gram.
Some people say time heals all wounds. I don't know if this is true. But time does amplify the good memories and suppress the bad. We've discussed this in and out and sideways and I know that you know that someday, it'll be more smiles and less heartache.

Quote:
And just think, now your gram and my mom will be able to watch all our crazy antics and sit back and laugh.
They'll likely also just shake their heads as we try heading over that bridge after one Pina Colava too many...

Quote:
You do realize that you were stalking the man and cute child, right?
You know, I was going to comment on this when I posted the pictures...LOL I will attest that the man was NOT actually running away from me with his child. He was walking. At a leisurely pace. I was just walking slower. And taking pictures every 3.5 steps.

Last edited by Tinkerbellarella; 05-10-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #624
TarzansKat

Quote:
I try.
You suceed.

Quote:
Were he reading this he'd say, "There are days you can have her!" LOL
Jerk.
I'm sure my DH would feel the same way about me right now, especially given the rampant pregnancy hormones. Thank goodness they're more level than they were in the first trimester.

Quote:
Some people say time heals all wounds. I don't know if this is true. But time does amplify the good memories and suppress the bad. We've discussed this in and out and sideways and I know that you know that someday, it'll be more smiles and less heartache.
I know this, in essence, because my Granddad has been gone for thirteen years now.

Quote:
They'll likely also just shake their heads as we try heading over that bridge after one Pina Colava too many...
I think that two Pina Colavas would probably be one too many for me, given how strong they were! And yet, we may have to try it.

Quote:
You know, I was going to comment on this when I posted the pictures...LOL I will attest that the man was NOT actually running away from me with his child. He was walking. At a leisurely pace. I was just walking slower. And taking pictures every 3.5 steps.
Are you sure it wasn't CUTE MAN and cute child?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #625
Pollito916
Some day my Prince will come and I'll live in the castle...
I do NOT have a Chicaaahgo accent!

Awesome pictures! I love CBR at sunrise. I'll probably never see it first hand that way, so thanks for the pics! I also can't believe how green everything is! I guess I've been living in the desert too long.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #626
maroo
DIS Veteran

Well...you must be amazing...because I actually have a desire to wake up early on vacation and go walking around the resort...

And that resort looks AMAZING!

Awesome update!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #627
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

What a lovely, heartfelt update! So truly beautiful.

You probably don't know this, without having read the very beginnings of my PTR, but some of my upcoming trip in Sept. is all about my gram as well. It was she who instilled my deep love of all things Disney, and I yearn to just sit and contemplate all that she was to me in a place she would have loved (we always went to DLR together when I was a child). If I may wax for a spell... her favorite drink was an apricot sour, and I am determined to have a silent toast in her honor at the Brown Derby (I'll be solo at that point). This was HER kind of place-being themed with her era, and I can't help that if she were alive, we would have really enjoyed being there together in a place like that!

OK, so that was a very long way of saying, "I get it!" I really do.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 AM   #628
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Ah, it's so good to have you back and regaling us with tales, Tink!!!

I love early morning walks at Disney! I think there is just a certain play of sunlight across those buildings that can't be found anywhere else.

I am glad you had a few moments to sit and remember your gram in the courtyard.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #629
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

I didn't realize how much I had been missing this trip report!!

Your pictures of CBR are just breathtaking!! I think on my next trip I'm going to go for an early morning walk and just enjoy the resort! What a splendid idea!!!

Can't wait for more!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #630
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Getting up at 5 a.m.

Yes, THAT 5 a.m.
On vacation.
In Disney.

Unfortunately I work an hour and a half from home. And in order to be up, presentable and on time, I have to get up at 5 a.m. Monday through Friday. And that internal alarm doesn't really have an OFF button anymore. So, on every morning of our trip I was up at 5 a.m.
I can't express how jealous I am that you can do this. I have to get up at 5 am daily too, but my internal alarm wants nothing to do with being up at that hour. I can't tell you how often I oversleep and am running out the door barely presentable to be able to catch my train. On days off, my internal alarm is thrilled that it doesn't have to get up until about 7 or so. I live with the hope that one of these days it will get with the program.

Quote:
The morning of my very first walk was the earliest I was out. I think I was walking by 5:10 a.m. It was lovely - mostly dark with bits of lavender just starting to peek in on the horizon. It was a little humid still, from the typhoon that had blown us back to the resort the night before, and warm, but nothing unbearable. I felt the tiniest bit stuffy and my throat was a little scratchy, but I figured it was nothing but the AC.

Remember that for later.
What a lovely way to start the day. I'm a bit scared about your scratchy throat though. Over the years I've become well acquainted with the Disney scratchy throat. Never really ends well.

Quote:
On my last trip we'd stayed in Trinidad South. I had no idea what our room number was but, for some reason, the building location and, specifically, the courtyard were very sharp memories in my mind. I'd set out to find that very spot, sit a spell, and think on my grandmother. I headed around the back part of the oval, moving away from the front of the resort. It was quiet and for a long time, I was the only one out. Soon, the bunnies started to venture out and then race back into the brush when they heard my sneakers. The ducks began quacking, but quietly, as if they knew it was too early to get their real quack on. I made it to Trinidad South and wandered a bit. I found the quiet pool and after that it was like GPS was pulling me back to that room from 16 years before.

I found the courtyard.
I sat.
I even cried a little.
It's wonderful that you got to have those moments to yourself to be in touch with your grandmother.

Quote:
Seriously, the most idyllic spot for a nap, no?
Love this spot!

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: