Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #871
LuluLovesDisney
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
I guess Rainy Days are definitely a "turn on"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemickeyshouse View Post
I would be happy to have liquor free comedy warehouse back it would be entertainment for afterdark which Disney lacks if there is no park open till Midnight
Agreed!!

I love the improv and since some of my favorite improv Streetmosphere actors are gone from the Studios and CW is gone, it just isn't the same.

IMO, AC and CW were unique and fun. If I were in charge, I would put something like CW on the Boardwalk and build an AC outside Animal Kingdom or at another resort, even if they were only open on alternating nights. (ie: CW open M, W, F and AC T, R, Sat to save costs.

Of course, all this means nothing, since I am not in charge and no one cares what I think. I've only dumped 1/4 of my income into Disney since I was 19 lol.
LuluLovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #872
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post
Excuse me?!?!?!?!? I beg to differ.

The "best club" was the Adventurers Club as far as a lot of us are concerned! Remember that the "save Pleasure Island" campaign paled in comparison to the "save the AC" campaign.

Not that Disney ever listened to any of it.

Frankly, I think they should go in and tear the whole thing down and make it into a parking lot. They've already killed it and there's no way to fix it.
I personally agree that the old AC just needs to be flattened. It should have been done even in it's peak.

Not to get rid of the AC, just to move it to a better facility. I went to PI for years before I realized anything went on in there, just because of the poor layout of the building prevented people from exploring the rooms and catching some of the "mini-shows".

Heck, even that time we all met up in there just to walk from one side of the main floor area to the bar was rough, since there were so many people crammed in a tiny room.
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #873
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemickeyshouse View Post
I would be happy to have liquor free comedy warehouse back it would be entertainment for afterdark which Disney lacks if there is no park open till Midnight
Considering it was unprofitable even when it pushed high-margin alcoholic drinks like crazy, I can't imagine Disney (or, far more likely, a third party operator) bringing it back without booze. It's not like there aren't five other businesses selling liquor on the Island right now, anyway.

I do think my fellow AdvClub fans need to cut Zulemara some slack. It's gone, folks--artifacts are gone, and it wouldn't work outside the PI 8-club model anyway. Just because we can't have the perfection of the AdvClub doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy more places like, say, Fuego or Red Coconut. Some "just ok" to "alright (but still not the Club)" nightlife is better than none at all.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #874
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Considering it was unprofitable even when it pushed high-margin alcoholic drinks like crazy, I can't imagine Disney (or, far more likely, a third party operator) bringing it back without booze. It's not like there aren't five other businesses selling liquor on the Island right now, anyway.

I do think my fellow AdvClub fans need to cut Zulemara some slack. It's gone, folks--artifacts are gone, and it wouldn't work outside the PI 8-club model anyway. Just because we can't have the perfection of the AdvClub doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy more places like, say, Fuego or Red Coconut. Some "just ok" to "alright (but still not the Club)" nightlife is better than none at all.
Well this is it in a nutshell eh? I'm going to Disney for 10 days in June. It's my annual 'cut loose and have some fun vacation'....

And for 9 nights.. I'll be off Disney property at CityWalk, or elsewhere in Orlando enjoying a nightclub environment. Of course I'll check out some of the on-property locations on the Boardwalk and probably even RIX over at CSR.

But... in years past I spent GOBS of money on my KTTW at PI. I mean, ridiculous amounts of $$ on overpriced drinks that I greatly enjoyed while dancing at 8Trax, Motion and Mannequins.

Obviously I was the exception I guess.. but it seems to me that for MASSIVE events (Like GayDays or Peak travel periods) where they know they can make money for a week - opening up a venue like 8-Trax oughta be a money maker for a week.

It's not like the Dj's that used to work there aren't still around .. and barstaff ain't THAT hard to find. I can bet that they'd get a lot of takers on those 'open shifts' if they were made available on a CM portal.

K

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #875
OldsDr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post
And for 9 nights.. I'll be off Disney property at CityWalk, or elsewhere in Orlando enjoying a nightclub environment. Of course I'll check out some of the on-property locations on the Boardwalk and probably even RIX over at CSR.

But... in years past I spent GOBS of money on my KTTW at PI. I mean, ridiculous amounts of $$ on overpriced drinks that I greatly enjoyed while dancing at 8Trax, Motion and Mannequins.

K
I have not been to WDW since about a year befor they closed PI( busy time got married, bought a house, and had a kid) I am now planning a trip back to WDW. With No PI I am seriously looking at hotels off property(Wilderness Cabins are still a strong possibility, but I am look at alternatives off property). My parents are going with us so we would have babysitters for a couple nights. I liked the ability to go to AC and Rock n roll beach club(which had already closed when I was there last) and be able to take a bus back to my resort. Now any place I would want to go I have to take a cab

I know these comments have all been made, and PI is not comming back in any form that I will find entertaining. I think My night life at WDW will now consist of Beer from wal mart and cards in my room (usually go with a lot of family) Money I would have spent at PI. This whole thing is just finally really starting to hit me now that I am planning on going down again.

I still remember my first visit to AC(for years I did not know what it was). It was the trip just befor my brother went off to paris Island( another type of PI) We walked in inbetween skits in the front area and did not know what it was because nothing was going on. had a drink and started walking out when the woman dressed up like a maid came out and started up her act. We Turned around sat back down and were hooked on the place ever since.

"Fee Drink Colonel"
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #876
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsDr View Post
I have not been to WDW since about a year befor they closed PI( busy time got married, bought a house, and had a kid) I am now planning a trip back to WDW. With No PI I am seriously looking at hotels off property(Wilderness Cabins are still a strong possibility, but I am look at alternatives off property). My parents are going with us so we would have babysitters for a couple nights. I liked the ability to go to AC and Rock n roll beach club(which had already closed when I was there last) and be able to take a bus back to my resort. Now any place I would want to go I have to take a cab

I know these comments have all been made, and PI is not comming back in any form that I will find entertaining. I think My night life at WDW will now consist of Beer from wal mart and cards in my room (usually go with a lot of family) Money I would have spent at PI. This whole thing is just finally really starting to hit me now that I am planning on going down again.

I still remember my first visit to AC(for years I did not know what it was). It was the trip just befor my brother went off to paris Island( another type of PI) We walked in inbetween skits in the front area and did not know what it was because nothing was going on. had a drink and started walking out when the woman dressed up like a maid came out and started up her act. We Turned around sat back down and were hooked on the place ever since.

"Fee Drink Colonel"
split stay....? half your time at a wdw hotel, half at a universal one where cw is walking distance?
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #877
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Disney pretty much conceded evening night club activities to Universal CityWalk. And CityWalk has turned it up a notch this week with the opening of a Fat Tuesday bar featuring frozen slushee-type alcoholic drinks. I've posted a picture of the place and the impressive drink menu at: www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com.

CanadianGuy, great to have you returning back to Florida. I hope we can warm the weather up for you! It's been a crappy winter!

BobK/Orlando

Last edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH; 03-03-2010 at 08:28 PM.
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #878
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post
Obviously I was the exception I guess.. but it seems to me that for MASSIVE events (Like GayDays or Peak travel periods) where they know they can make money for a week - opening up a venue like 8-Trax oughta be a money maker for a week.

It's not like the Dj's that used to work there aren't still around .. and barstaff ain't THAT hard to find. I can bet that they'd get a lot of takers on those 'open shifts' if they were made available on a CM portal.

K
Agreed, it would be quite easy to use "banquet" people to cover shifts for a week. The fact that they never tried this in 2009, tho, I think basically shows that they never really had a clue, were just flying by the seat of thier pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
Disney pretty much conceded evening night club activities to Universal CityWalk. And CityWalk has turned it up a notch this week with the opening of a Fat Tuesday bar featuring frozen slushee-type alcoholic drinks. I've posted a picture of the place and the impressive drink menu at: www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com.

BobK/Orlando
Used to love the one in Daytona Beach, looks like the two have a similar set-up. Hopefully this helps bring a little more life to the streets of CityWalk, will stop by and check it out tonight.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #879
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Some of the lights were on in Motion Friday evening and the tables were set up in banquet style. Looks like someone is still using the place. It doesn't appear that the light or sound systems were ever stripped-out either, although all those flat screen monitors were removed.

BobK/Orlando
Old 03-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #880
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

For anyone interested in the history of Pleasure Island, my Blog article today talks about the copy of San Francisco's Lombard Street that was built on PI. And yesterday's article has a YouTube film showing what the island looked like back in 1991 when the club options were completely different.

http://www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/

BobK/Orlando
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #881
unfreshdiva1
DIS Veteran

Great video. Like the store with all the Jessica Rabbit merchandise!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #882
kstinw19
DIS Veteran

Quote:

CanadianGuy, great to have you returning back to Florida. I hope we can warm the weather up for you! It's been a crappy winter!

BobK/Orlando
They used to have Fat Tuesday's in Church Street Station downtown. Back in the early 90's it was a huge hit. The line was out the door!

1st Disney cruise! April '13,First holiday visit with kids Nov '12, Family reunion at WLV Jan '12, First visit as DVC members - May '11, Back to the World! - Apr '10, Back to Poly - Sept. 08 w/ kids, Boardwalk Villas - Jan 08 w/ kids, Poly - May 07 - surprising the kids, Beach Club - Sept 06, Off-site at Vistana w/ parents and kids Oct 05,
kstinw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #883
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinw19 View Post
They used to have Fat Tuesday's in Church Street Station downtown. Back in the early 90's it was a huge hit. The line was out the door!
I've heard that. There was a bit of a line this past Saturday night at the one at CityWalk and it was still kind of cold out there. When the warmer weather hits this place is going to have huge lines! Can't wait to try out the one made with Everclear pure grain alcohol! And some jello shots off the dollar menu, lol.

BobK/Orlando
Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #884
kstinw19
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've heard that. There was a bit of a line this past Saturday night at the one at CityWalk and it was still kind of cold out there. When the warmer weather hits this place is going to have huge lines! Can't wait to try out the one made with Everclear pure grain alcohol! And some jello shots off the dollar menu, lol.

BobK/Orlando
Oh they were quite strong. Two of the frozen drinks would knock me on my behind!

1st Disney cruise! April '13,First holiday visit with kids Nov '12, Family reunion at WLV Jan '12, First visit as DVC members - May '11, Back to the World! - Apr '10, Back to Poly - Sept. 08 w/ kids, Boardwalk Villas - Jan 08 w/ kids, Poly - May 07 - surprising the kids, Beach Club - Sept 06, Off-site at Vistana w/ parents and kids Oct 05,
kstinw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #885
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

I'm going to give one of these a try tonight!

BobK/Orlando

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: