Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

Who posted the 'Sugar Weenies' recipe?

My dh and dss LOVE you!

I made these for the first time for a family party a couple weeks ago. And then again, making a few small changes to how I did them, this past Sunday for another family party. GONE, both times. And they were asking for more.

It's the new fave at our house! And it's SO easy...for that *I* thank you!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
babylisa4
DIS Veteran

I didn't post it

But I would love to have the recipe.
babylisa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

It's one of those non-specific type of recipes...LOL...

1 package of cocktail franks (mini hot dogs)
1 package of bacon
brown sugar
toothpicks

Cut the bacon into thirds.
Take a strip (one third of one piece of bacon) and wrap it around a frank. Secure with a toothpick.
(Up to here can be done ahead of time, I did it the night before and stored in plastic container.)
Place in a baking pan (I used a disposable) and bake for about 20 minutes. (Note, I didn't get a temp, I baked at 350 since that's what the oven was set at for something else.)
When the bacon has rendered most of its fat, remove the pan from the oven and pour off the drippings.
Generously top with brown sugar (I used about a cup and a half.)
Return to the oven and continue baking until the brown sugar has melted and is caramelized. (Maybe another 15-20 minutes.)

The original recipe I got didn't say how long, or to dump the bacon fat but I found the 2nd time I made it and did this that the bacon crisped better and the sugar caramelized better. Plus it wasn't as greasy when serving as it wasn't sitting in a half in of pork fat.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
babylisa4
DIS Veteran

I think it was threeboys mom

I just found a similar recipe in a church cookbook. They call it "heart attacks on a stick". They use toothpicks to hold the bacon on.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Dismom+two
Dh and I always refer to it as "The Almighty Boards"
Wanted: Warm fuzzy feelings
I am still walking...haven't dropped yet
Almost left the bookstore without her lapdance

OH I think I need to try these!!
Dismom+two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismom+two View Post
OH I think I need to try these!!
Buy alot of ingredients...you'll be making them again, and again, and again...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Califgirl

VMK MVP
I heart my DIS VMK friends
Looked for Stitch, but found Huck Springs!

This reminds me of 'pig candy'. I got the recipe out of the SweetPotato Queens book, I think.

dredge the bacon in brown sugar, put it on a rack and bake it for about 60 min. Ummm .. crispy sugar coated bacon. YUMMMM
Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
amykay9377
Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations. After all it is what I do.

Hmm, it seems that the Uber-Secret Family Recipe that I stole from an ex-coworker has been leaked (only good thing I got from a job I worked at FOUR years was this recipe and the corningware dish it came in!)

At our house, we've dubbed them Man Sushi. If you cook them lower (around 325-350) and slower, the sugar will caramelize and get drippy yummy!

I cannot have a family function without making these! I buy the weenies and bacon at Sam's so I always have enough.

And as hubby put so elequently one morning, nothin' says Christmas like weenies!

(Sugar Weenies is a good one, too!)

Check out my blog!
(I may need to change the name soon...)

amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
jrnunzio3
DIS Veteran

Do you think tht these could be done in a crockpot for a work party??
jrnunzio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
babylisa4
DIS Veteran

Maybe could be done in crockpot

I have always done this in the oven and its the kind of carmelized brown sugar that makes them so good. But a previous poster just said it worked well with a low oven so maybe they would.

I also have a similar recipe that uses whole water chestnuts wrapped in bacon with the brown sugar. They are really good too. I think I just get it off of allrecipes.com
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
virginiamama
DIS Veteran

Does the bacon cooking in the oven make a huge mess?

"(June '94 Off site / Oct '03 Caribbean Beach / Dec '04 DCL-Wonder / Dec '05 Pop Century / Dec '06 DCL-Magic CC Double-Dip and Coronado Springs / Oct '07 Beach Club Villas / Aug '08 DCL Wonder CC Double-Dip w/ Tropical Storm Fay and Beach Club Villas / Nov '08 Beach Club Villas / Oct '09 Villas at Wilderness Lodge/ Nov '10 AK Villas / Aug '11 DCL Dream and Bay Lake Towers / Dec '12 Beach Club Villas)

Next trip: Oct '13 Beach Club Villas
virginiamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
cassiez76
DIS Veteran

i usually put a rack in the baking pan when i do bacon in the oven so it's not soaking in grease. it turns out really yummy if you cook bacon in the oven. you also don't make a mess on the stove!

i had my hubby wrap the weenies today and gonna bake tomorrow! can't wait to try this out!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

Making these for our SB party today - hope everyone likes them! I decided to use the Lil' Smokies instead of the little hotdogs. Have three pounds of the smokies and they used 2 1/3 packs (pounds) of bacon for the wrapping.

We prepped them last night and they are in the refrigerator waiting to be baked. I'm going to bake them on the broiler pan (but not broil them!) so that the bacon fat runs off and is easily collected.

ETA:
Ok - reporting back after the Super Bowl party - these were a huge hit! The 350-degree oven worked well, the broiler pan worked well, the Lil' Smokies worked well..yum! I baked for 15 min, then added the brown sugar and baked for another 10 min. I did move them around with a spatula twice to flip some and make sure the bacon all cooked well. Next time, I may try baking for 10 and 10 instead or try 10, then 15, but they looked and tasted great. I'll be making these again and again, I'm sure!

Last edited by PinballFamily; 02-08-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: made these - reporting results!
PinballFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
cassiez76
DIS Veteran

i had my hubby make these last week (don't even ask what he said to my mom on the phone when she asked what he was doing )

i bought 2 packs of cheese smokies and 2 packs of bacon (some bacon was used for another recipe) and everything fit on my baking pan with a rack inside. it kept them from being drenched in the grease.

i was kinda worried about them cause i found that the baking time on a recipe site was wrong and they needed about an hour on 375. they kinda smelled a little burned, but i think i got them in time. there were 3 left in the bowl out of 9 adults at the party.

they were a hit and i'm being asked to make them again.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califgirl View Post
This reminds me of 'pig candy'. I got the recipe out of the SweetPotato Queens book, I think.

dredge the bacon in brown sugar, put it on a rack and bake it for about 60 min. Ummm .. crispy sugar coated bacon. YUMMMM
I do that and boy is it deadly for a diet. Betcha can't eat just one!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: