Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
ashleybea
DIS Veteran

Kindle vs. Sony eReader.

I am looking into getting either a Kindle or the Sony reader. Does anyone know which is better?
I'm having a tough time deciding, I read different reviews that sway me to the kindle then I read another and I wasn't and e reader.
Can anyone help me? Thanks!
ashleybea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

You also might want to consider the Barnes and Noble Nook, although you might not be able to get it until the week after the holidays.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Pamlur
newbies DO get tags!!

There are a lot of threads here, discussing the various ereaders. I think search works now.
Pamlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
You also might want to consider the Barnes and Noble Nook, although you might not be able to get it until the week after the holidays.
They are vailabkle for shipment January 11
I bought myself a Sony and am debating on whether or not to return it and get the Nook.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

I have the first generation Kindle, and I love it. I just bought my daughter the second generation Kindle for Christmas.
It is easy to use, easy to read, downloads books quickly, and makes it so that I'm never without something to read, no matter what time it is. The Kindle was a gift from my husband last Christmas..absolutely one of the best gifts I ever received.

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
emma'smom
P.S. Who would serve turnips at a wedding?

We bought my mother a Nook....why? You can share your books on the Nook (pass them to others who have an e-reader....even just a iphone e-reader app or one on their computer). So, my mom can feel like she is downloading a book for two people instead of one. However, the Nook books seem to have a range of prices where I have never bought one for over 9.99 with the Kindle.
emma'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
5 for WDW
DIS Veteran

My husband bought me the Kindle 2 for a combo b-day/Xmas gift. He gave it to me early so, I have had it for about 2 months now. It is hands down the best gift I have ever received.

It was a piece of cake to figure out. Navigating the store is incredibly easy. Any books I purchase are literally to me in less then 10 seconds if not instantly.

Highly recommend the Kindle!

22 trips since 1996 (Dixie Landings, POFQ,POR, CBR, AS Movies, POP, SSR, BWV, OKW, A of A)

Next up: Dec. 13-17th! Happy 40th to Me!!
5 for WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma'smom View Post
We bought my mother a Nook....why? You can share your books on the Nook (pass them to others who have an e-reader....even just a iphone e-reader app or one on their computer). So, my mom can feel like she is downloading a book for two people instead of one. However, the Nook books seem to have a range of prices where I have never bought one for over 9.99 with the Kindle.
As far as we know from the early information, you can share certain books - depending on the publisher - once, for 14 days. That's very limiting but if you know someone who wants to read a book that you have bought - and if that person can read the book and finish it within 14 days - it might be a nice feature.

Still it's not a feature that would make me want to pay more for Nook books over Amazon books, which is what most of the comparisons I've seen are saying. B&N is about two dollars more for the titles I've seen compared. I'd much rather have cheaper ebook prices consistently than limited features that don't really mean much to me.

But then everybody knows I love my Kindles!!!
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Disneyglobegirl
DIS Veteran

I have been trying to make this decision for myself also. I have been going back and forth between the kindle, sony reader and the nook. I finally told hubby to go head and get me a Kindle for Christmas - I will use it for awhile then pass it too my daughter if I decide that I rather have a sony or nook later next year, depending on the reviews of those who are getting them now.

CBR June 2002 1st trip to WDW,
Dolphin June 2004,
POFQ May 2005 ,
Grand Californian June 2006 1st trip to DL & POR Sept 2006,
CSR May 2007 & POLY Sept 2007
DTD Hilton July 2009
Disneyland Hotel - June 2010
Hard Rock Hotel & AKL - June 2014
Disneyglobegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

DH has researched both and bought the Sony Reader. He says, "If you want to sit in a coffee shop and read a book, the Kindle is fine. If you want a more 'book-like' experience, the Sony Reader is better. If I want to sit on an airplane and read a book, the Sony Reader is better. It has easier to use controls, too. In a few years, there will be a reader that will be the best of both worlds. I don't know who will make it, but I'm sure someone will."

DS23 is getting a Nook as that is what he thinks is best for him.

I say: Look at all three and then figure out which one you think you'd like the best.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)
LadyZolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

With the Kindle, you can have multiple devices on one account. My SIL has her mom and dad on her account, so if one of them buys a book they can all read it. Totally allowed.

If SIL bought a book I really wanted to read, I could disconnect (not the real word but hubby-the-one-who-works-in-the-kindle-dept is playing with DS right now) from his account, and then put my kindle on SIL's account. Read the book, then disconnect from her account and go back to hubby's. Totally OK.

There's a limit of the number of devices on one account...something like 6? I think?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
my3sonsagn
DIS Veteran

While we're on the topic of e-readers, how available are older books for them? Most of the books I look for are based on others' recommendations and are frequently 5, 10, 15 or more years old. I'd love to have one, but I'm not sure how practical it would be for me.

Me DH DS19 DS14 DS8

Off-site 1984, 1987, 2001, 2005
PO (what's now FQ) 1996
Pop 2009
GAD/GAD 5/2010
CR 11/2011
AoA 09/2013
my3sonsagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #13
luv2nascar
You're a wizard Harry. And a thumpin good one.
I love the beavertails, I think that it is the maple and chocolate I love best
Leave my drink alone!

still undecided about which one to buy DD. The nook not being available until1/11/10 is detering this one.

2000 CBR
2005 Pop Century
2009 Buena Vista Palace Downtown

Me Dh Princess 14 Princess 6 Prince 6
luv2nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:07 AM   #14
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There's a limit of the number of devices on one account...something like 6? I think?
There isn't a limit to the number of devices on one account but most books have a limit on the number of devices it can be downloaded to, which is usually 6 but sometimes 5 or less.

So I can have an account with 10 different devices, but only 6 of them could receive a copy of the book I just bought.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #15
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyZolt View Post
DH has researched both and bought the Sony Reader. He says, "If you want to sit in a coffee shop and read a book, the Kindle is fine. If you want a more 'book-like' experience, the Sony Reader is better. If I want to sit on an airplane and read a book, the Sony Reader is better. It has easier to use controls, too. In a few years, there will be a reader that will be the best of both worlds. I don't know who will make it, but I'm sure someone will."

DS23 is getting a Nook as that is what he thinks is best for him.

I say: Look at all three and then figure out which one you think you'd like the best.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)
Dorothy, just out of curiosity, what makes him feel the Sony is a more book like experience? I have a Kindle and I have it in a leather cover, so it feels like I have opened a book when I begin to read. The screens and eink are identical on the two products, so I was just wondering what made him feel the Sony was more book like. To me, they are exactly the same on the exterior except for a few minor things like the way you push a button.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: