Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #736
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
You are SO correct. Problem is that they probably make more money collecting rent than operating stores and restaurants and bars. So the trend continues.

BobK/Orlando
It was so much nicer when the concentration was on making magic, not making money.

Focusing on making magic ends up making money.

Focusing on making money does NOT make magic.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #737
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quick update...

Old PI Live DJ booth is gutted down to the framework. Walls are still up around PI Live bar, but tower-thingy is down (and Harley sign remains up, somehow), a little mouse said walls will be gone sometime this week.

Up Hill Street, the opaque film is off the doors of the AdvClub. Be warned, it's not a pretty sight.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #738
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Up Hill Street, the opaque film is off the doors of the AdvClub. Be warned, it's not a pretty sight.
How odd, why would they want to take that off? Disney usually wants to hide any work going on so no matter what they have planned for AC you'd think removing that would be the last thing they'd be doing.

Still, at least something is finally happening to all these buildings.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #739
LuluLovesDisney
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
I guess Rainy Days are definitely a "turn on"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post
It was so much nicer when the concentration was on making magic, not making money.

Focusing on making magic ends up making money.

Focusing on making money does NOT make magic.

ITA!
LuluLovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #740
jeanylaser
Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista biggest fan

thanks for the info!

jeanylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #741
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
How odd, why would they want to take that off? Disney usually wants to hide any work going on so no matter what they have planned for AC you'd think removing that would be the last thing they'd be doing.

Still, at least something is finally happening to all these buildings.
I have no doubt that the walt quotes they put on the construction walls and the removal of that plastic is just to pour salt on the wounds.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #742
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
A little mouse said walls will be gone sometime this week.
I was out there today and posted a few pics on my Blog at www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

They are making demolition progress at both PI Live and Mannequins but those towers with the Harley Davidson signs remain standing. I don't see how they could be finished this week until the sign issue is resolved.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #743
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
I was out there today and posted a few pics on my Blog at www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

They are making demolition progress at both PI Live and Mannequins but those towers with the Harley Davidson signs remain standing. I don't see how they could be finished this week until the sign issue is resolved.

BobK/Orlando
LOL, admittedly could have been wishful thinking. I assumed it meant someone had a plan for that, but who really knows.

BTW, my friend sent you some interior pics of the AdvClub (taken through the filmless windows) for the blog. I think Zulemara is on to something, talking about salt in the wounds...
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #744
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Jason. Will post it tomorrow (Tuesday) along with a mention of Congaloosh 2010.

BobK/Orlando
Old 12-01-2009, 02:22 AM   #745
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, Jason. Will post it tomorrow (Tuesday) along with a mention of Congaloosh 2010.

BobK/Orlando
the way the walls have been stripped but the furniture left definitely appears as if all the artifacts are being sent on a one way trip rather than just being removed for storage/refurb/whatever.

Thats the end of that then!
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #746
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Well, here's the last post that needs to be posted in this thread. The end is here.

Quote:
In a section describing Disney World’s holdings, Disney writes,” In September 2008, the company commenced a plan to enhance Pleasure Island, which will feature new shopping and dining experiences to entertain guests of all ages. The project is expected to be completed in 2012.”
There you go, that's the big new vision spelled out for you. They'll rent out spaces for shopping and dining, exactly like we all suspected from the start.

RIP Pleasure Island
RIP "So What's Coming to the New Pleasure Island?" thread.
RIP Fun and Frolic at DTD.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #747
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

.................the party's over.
Yes, Virginia, there is no more PI.............
Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #748
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Yes, saw that. And it's in the Orlando Sentinel today.

But the gold nugget in that is not that restaurants and shops are coming. That's not new information. What's new is that now the completion date is 2012, not 2010. All the initial information said it would take "a couple years" to complete the changes at PI.

This would lead one to believe that they really have no clue what's going to be replacing the clubs. If they did, it wouldn't take another 3 years to complete it.

BobK/Orlando
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #749
DC7800
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This would lead one to believe that they really have no clue what's going to be replacing the clubs. If they did, it wouldn't take another 3 years to complete it
It appears that Disney is willing to wait, leaving former club buildings empty, until third-party tenants can be found willing to pay the exorbitant rents WDW has to be asking for these spaces. They cannot solely blame the economy for the problems of Downtown Disney, yet it seems that may be largely what they are doing, thinking that by giving the plan a few more years it will all work out (and probably much the same misguided thinking now exists over Flamingo Crossings).

Why even try to do something yourself - developing and operating your own restaurant or shop would require spending your own money and actually taking a (often small) risk - when it is so much easier to just play landord.

Quote:
The project is expected to be completed in 2012
Wouldn't that mean this thread will still have something to discuss (or maybe the lack of something) for at least three more years?
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #750
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC7800 View Post
Wouldn't that mean this thread will still have something to discuss (or maybe the lack of something) for at least three more years?
It means some will still have hope for the next two years that the AC will reopen...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: