Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
BellyBaby
I swear Walt had OCD, too!

Question What's wrong with my brownies????

I am at my wit's end, and I'm hoping someone out there knows what the hey I am talking about!

I have used the same brownie recipe for years. They were rich, chocolately, had that nice little "crackle" on top that made it decadent.

I have since moved, and now they are dry, like a heavy cake, and do not have that nice "crackle" on top or a rich chocolate taste.

I CANNOT for the life of me figure out what is going on. This is the scoop so far:

1. The obvious - it's the very same book, same recipe.

2. Altitude is the same from old house - new house.

3. I no longer have a gas stove in the new house...but I've baked in a regular stove before for years and was able to make good brownies.

4. I've tried using different size pans...8x8, 9x9, and what the recipe calls for, 13 x 9. No difference.

5. I'm using real butter now. Just realized that one now....hmmmm. But you'd think that would make them better, not worse....?

6. I have used half sugar, half Splenda, but pretty sure I've tried whole sugar because of the yucky outcome with my dry brownies since moving to the new home.

7. I use free range eggs now, can't see how that would make a difference???

That's all I can think of. If anyone can see something obvious, I'd love to hear it. I hate wasting food, but yet hate wasting calories not enjoying a good, rich, fudgey brownie. I figure if I HAVE to ice a brownie to make it taste edible, it's not a good brownie. Period.

This whole post probably sounds pathetic, but I've been eating bad brownies for a year now, finally thought maybe the Dis crowd would know what to do. Like I said, it's my same recipe I've used for years. I think my house is brownie-haunted. Help please!
BellyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
DOPEYLUVER
DIS Veteran

My guess is that the oven temperature is off causing the brownie to be over-cooked.

There definitely is a difference between margarine and butter. While I agree that butter is better, I think it's more what you are used to. Since it is a change, it could be causing a change you don't like.

Good luck.

DOPEYLUVER is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
BellyBaby
I swear Walt had OCD, too!

I may try the margarine instead, it's the only thing that is different besides the oven.

I forgot to mention that I did buy an oven thermometer awhile back while adjusting back to the electric oven.

I should try a basic mix, and if that doesn't work, then it's definitely the oven!
BellyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #4
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

My old oven cooked way hot and fast, so everything had to be cooked on a lower temp and for less time - I'm still finding things (after nearly 2 years) that I need to adjust timings and temps back to the recipe. (Especially toad in the hole).

does sound like your oven is a bit hot. Also, are your eggs smaller maybe?
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPEYLUVER View Post
My guess is that the oven temperature is off causing the brownie to be over-cooked.
Oven temperatures can be off by 25 degrees in either direction from the temperature marked on the dial.

Also, electric stoves take longer to heat up. So, if you used to let the oven pre-heat for 5 minutes, let this one heat for 10 minutes and turn the over all temperature down a little while cooking.

You could also try moving the oven rack up or down. Each oven heats differently and has hot & cold spots.

Alternately, take the brownies out of the oven sooner.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: