Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Wislodgers
Mouseketeer

Iraqi Food/Baghdad

I am looking for some recipes for my daughter's college friend. He is from Baghdad and here on a student program for 4 years. He said he misses food from home, but is very gracious about eating anything. He is Muslim, so I know that pork is not served, but does anyone have any recipes? I am looking for main dishes, desserts or anything!
Wislodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

I don't know specifically about Iraq, but we are living in the middle east. Kofta is a regional meat dish that we've had in most of the Middle Eastern countries we've visited. Basically lamb seasoned and grilled, or cooked in skillet... on kabobs or just flat sort of like a burger. Do a search, there are many recipes.

Eggplant...hummous...schwarma...
A dessert is Um Ahli , sort of a bread pudding, but much more liquidy than usa bread pudding.

Google "Iraqi recipes" and see what you find. Good luck!
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
myamber
myamber

I found this at recipe z a a r . com
I've only made six posts, and it won't
let me do it if there are any links. What
I had to do was put a bunch of spaces
in that site name. But if you enter it with
a w w w . before it, and no spaces between
any of the letters, it will take you to the site.

I wonder if he's had this breakfast before?
If memory serves me correctly, the King Arthur
Flour Baking Company sells rose water.

Sweet Vermicelli Breakfast (Gluten Free)

Recipe #361328 | 43 min | 10 min prep |

A tasty sweet breakfast like dessert made in Arabian Gulf countries especially during the month of Ramadan. This dish is called by a few different names.

SERVES 4 (change servings and units)

Ingredients

* 450 g rice vermicelli
* 1 cup sugar
* 2-3 teaspoons ground cardamom
* 3 tablespoons rose water (some use orange blossom water, I have yet to try it that way)
* 2 tablespoons olive oil (may use butter)
* 1 pinch saffron
* 3 liters water

Directions

1. Place vermicelli on oven trays under broiler until golden brown. Watch carefully. May need turning to color all.

2. Remove from oven and cook in 3 liters of boiling water for precisely 3 minutes.

3. Drain and set aside.

4. In a large pan mix the other tbls oil or butter with sugar, cardamom, saffron, and rose water stirring over medium heat.

5. Add the vermicelli, stirring to combine, let it cook over very low heat for 1/2 hour.

6. Serve warm.

I hope that you and your exchange student have
a great year getting to know each other! If you want
the American measurements, you can look this up
on the site and it will give a 'translation' for you.
myamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
gottaluvPluto
I feel like Tink and Tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle View Post
I don't know specifically about Iraq, but we are living in the middle east. Kofta is a regional meat dish that we've had in most of the Middle Eastern countries we've visited. Basically lamb seasoned and grilled, or cooked in skillet... on kabobs or just flat sort of like a burger. Do a search, there are many recipes.

Eggplant...hummous...schwarma...
A dessert is Um Ahli , sort of a bread pudding, but much more liquidy than usa bread pudding.

Google "Iraqi recipes" and see what you find. Good luck!
I LOVE schwarmas!!!! They are so good.

I used to live in Saudi and I have a cookbook from there. I could give you some recipes from the book, just let me know.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
WalkingintheFog
DIS Veteran

Location: North America's most easterly city: St.John's Newfoundland and Labrador!

The first time I stayed away from home/overseas for any length of time, one of my sisters wrote out some of mom's (ie ours) favourite yet easy recipes, and mailed it to me (yes, pre-internet, pre-home computer days).

I still have it in my recipe box! I made cottage pudding, corn-pineapple salad, pancakes from scratch, apple crumble, muffins and more for my friends. Even carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

Just maybe, his mom/sisters (or their cook) could do the same for you. You might need a translation, double checked, but still, besides just getting his ethnic foods, you'd be getting ones you know he liked!

WalkingintheFog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: