Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Starbrite
DIS'ing since 2004........... Didn't like my old name ;)

Making Gourmet Apples

Anyone have any tips on making your own Candy/Gourmet apples? I would love to try & make our own this year. If they turn out nice - maybe pass a few out for gifts

Let's start with....what kind of apples do I use?

What kind of carmel works best?
What kind of chocolate works best....Merkens, bars or chips?

What's your favorite topping?

How long do they usually last in the fridge?

Any other pointers?
Starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Disneysun
Mouseketeer

We have been making very good carmel apples lately and Honeycrisp apples, if available, are amazing. We have bought the grocery store carmel in the wrappers (have the kids unwrap). I usually double boiler the carmel and add water to make it soften faster and coat the apples. We have been buying the high grade dark chocolate bars from Trader Joes and they are really good. We melt and drizzle a good amount all over the apple. So good!

My husband thinks they would last 7 days (we usually don't give it that long) and I would say a little less for the best quality. Over time the seem to "sweat".

Good luck!
Disneysun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

We use

Granny smith, and also the bulk caramels.

My best tip though.. boil the apples for a few seconds before you dip them in candy. You need to get the wax off or it won't stick. I took 3 to a party last year and everyone went crazy. Very easy to do, and so impressive and yummy.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
Granny smith, and also the bulk caramels.

My best tip though.. boil the apples for a few seconds before you dip them in candy. You need to get the wax off or it won't stick. I took 3 to a party last year and everyone went crazy. Very easy to do, and so impressive and yummy.
Seriously? Has that been my problem all along? I have tried to make caramel apples on two or three different occasions... every time with apples from the grocery store, not from the orchard. And EVERY TIME I have ended up with caramel-coated wax paper and no caramel on the apples! They start off looking great, but within a few minutes all of the caramel has slid off the apple onto the wax paper! It is SO frustrating. The first time I figured that it was because it was a really warm day.... but the next time I figured it was because I am "kitchen challenged". Do they really wax EVERY APPLE at the market??................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

They probably do

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Seriously? Has that been my problem all along? I have tried to make caramel apples on two or three different occasions... every time with apples from the grocery store, not from the orchard. And EVERY TIME I have ended up with caramel-coated wax paper and no caramel on the apples! They start off looking great, but within a few minutes all of the caramel has slid off the apple onto the wax paper! It is SO frustrating. The first time I figured that it was because it was a really warm day.... but the next time I figured it was because I am "kitchen challenged". Do they really wax EVERY APPLE at the market??................P
We were kinda disgusted when we noticed how much wax was coming off. Try this and I bed you'll have better luck.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Starbrite
DIS'ing since 2004........... Didn't like my old name ;)

Thanks for the tips I would've never thought of the wax.
Starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Mom2Ben02
Our little souvenir from WDW was baby #2! :-)

They now have caramel "pellets" by the baking stuff - same Kraft caramel, with NO wrappers!!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Wow, I learned two new tips here today; boil the apple for a couple seconds to remove the wax and that kraft makes carmel pellets, no unwrapping needed!
Thanks!
disneyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

If you don't buy unwaxed citrus fruit you need to do the same if you plan on using the zest for cooking. It won't hurt you not to, but its better to get rid of the wax if you can. Unwaxed fruit does tend to cost more - if you buy organic fruit is that unwaxed?
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
DeborahA
DIS Veteran

If you use the chocolate candy melts or the bark in bricks the apples set up nicely and faster too. I have used the caramel pellets and they are terrific. I put a few in my brownies before baking, and sprinkle a few over apple crisp while still hot from the oven. yum-yum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: