Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #691
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
Is the Diana exhibition still there or has that finally given up and closed? any new rumours what might take over that store once its available again?
The Princess Diana exhibit is still there and is scheduled to run through November 30th. With nothing planned to replace it and with the holiday tourist season just ahead, it would not surprise me to see it's run extended into January.

Sources say that the Harley Davidson shop will be moving from its current location on Pleasure Island over to the location formally occupied by Starabillas and part of Mickey's Groove.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #692
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

looks like the end is near for mannequins, or else they are just trying to make it look more generic. WDW has filed a permit to demolish the stairs on the backside of Mannequins. Those were fire exit stairs. So either they are gonna A) demolish the building B) reopen as something and not use the upper floors or C) let it sit and rot, but make it look less obvious(in their eyes)

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #693
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

From Mouseplanet Weekly Update Construction Permits:

Pleasure Island PI Live bridge – mechanical demolition.
Pleasure Island Mannequins – exterior stair removal.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #694
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkelley View Post
Pleasure Island PI Live bridge – mechanical demolition.
We believe that this refers to the "light bridge" that runs from the former PI Live booth over to what is now called the PI Live Bar. The rumor is that the booth is going to be removed so that Sosa Cigars can have an upper deck outside patio above Sosa for smoking and drinking. This is of course in keeping with making Pleasure Island more family-friendly.

BobK/Orlando
Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #695
gemstone1952
Earning My Ears

Well, yeah....I distinctly remember hearing many parents saying their toddlers and kids were asking for a place where could enjoy a good smoke and fine wine after a busy day at the Magic Kingdom. Disney closed that family unfriendly PI, especially those "clubs" and "dance halls" to meet the needs of those kids. RIGHT.
gemstone1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #696
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
We believe that this refers to the "light bridge" that runs from the former PI Live booth over to what is now called the PI Live Bar. The rumor is that the booth is going to be removed so that Sosa Cigars can have an upper deck outside patio above Sosa for smoking and drinking. This is of course in keeping with making Pleasure Island more family-friendly.

BobK/Orlando
I'd heard the "catwalk" holding the TV outside PI Live Bar would be the first thing demolished, at around the same time as the changes to Fuego. So I think you're right, would make sense to do all that at once.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #697
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I'd heard the "catwalk" holding the TV outside PI Live Bar would be the first thing demolished, at around the same time as the changes to Fuego. So I think you're right, would make sense to do all that at once.
Yeah, there are the towers and that light bridge thing that is part of the catwalk over the sidewalk. I posted a picture of the light bridge/catwalk on the Save PI blog at: http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.c...irways-to.html although you have to click on the picture to enlarge it and really see it.

BobK/Orlando
Old 10-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #698
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

We did a one day visit two weeks ago, didn't see any new changes, going again in 3 weeks for a 2 day trip. Will look again at what's is or isn't happening.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #699
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

well it looks like Disney's attempt to get rid of the "Wrong element" has failed again! a man was arrested with a loaded gun at DTD on Thursday night
http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2009/...wntown-disney/

A robbery and an arrest for concealed carry. Obviously those icky, unsafe, immoral clubs were the culprit of such activity

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #700
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Downtown Disney is safer than nearly any other public place. The clubs being there or not being there did not change that. Sure there may be fewer incidents of disorderly conduct now but there never were many to begin with! I've heard people make reference to guard towers out in the parking lot but if my recollection is correct, the PI parking lot never had those. I think the few that exist are in the parking lots that serve the West Side.

BobK/Orlando
Old 11-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #701
WebmasterCricket
Administrator
I'm what Willis was talkin' about

DISboards Administrator

Epcot has guard towers in the parking lot too. What does that have to do with anything? Aren't they for traffic control?

I want to know when the razor wire is being put up since it's such a hotbed of criminal activity with everybody wanting to sing and possibly maybe even -g-a-s-p- dance! All you heathens should be in orange jumpsuits and ankle bracelets while we are at it.
WebmasterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #702
WebmasterCricket
Administrator
I'm what Willis was talkin' about

DISboards Administrator

"Orange" is the new "black" right?
WebmasterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #703
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
Downtown Disney is safer than nearly any other public place. The clubs being there or not being there did not change that. Sure there may be fewer incidents of disorderly conduct now but there never were many to begin with! I've heard people make reference to guard towers out in the parking lot but if my recollection is correct, the PI parking lot never had those. I think the few that exist are in the parking lots that serve the West Side.

BobK/Orlando
We saw one all the way down by the first parking lot {the one just before the traffic light that leads to hotel row} 2 weeks ago.
I believe they move those things around to different areas of DTD as a deterent to whatever evil may lurk in the parking lots in general. Also, I have seen them in different spots {they are portable} throughout all of DTD, from hotel row all the way to OKW.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #704
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

OT: The gal who was Sugar Snap is on FL Lottery commercials. Noticed her on TV tonight. She is also on the FL Lottery web site.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #705
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Ugh, I was walking outside at work today between buildings and thinking about our upcoming Disney trip...1 month out...and got all melancholy all of a sudden thinking about PI and AC! This will be our first trip without it...I would give anything to have it back. (Well, not anything...but if someone told me I could put up $1000 and AC would come back into existence (and stay there), I would gladly pony up the money.)

Just needed to share....I'm sure many feel the same way about various club at PI.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: