Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
JaimJaim76
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the great advice!! I am starting to calm down now, lol...I have been stressing so much over our planning and making sure everything is "perfect" but I need to just focus on having a good time and not worrying about seeing and doing every single thing there is to do, and eating at all of the best reviewed restaurants (after all, someone elses opinion is not our own, right?) It will be great as long as we just go with the flow, take our time and enjoy!!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #17
Ready2GoBack
Earning My Ears

Time Out

The old saying goes "If mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy"; well at Disney it's if the "kids aren't happy, nobody's happy"!

When the kids become tired and cranky, head back to the resort for a nap and time out. Once you push them past their threshold, nobody will be happy! After their nap then you can head back out, everyone will be refreshed and ready to go.

DH- ME- DD- DS-

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
mrsfiehn143
Earning My Ears

great advice! I think the most important thing to remember about planning a trip to Disney is it is YOUR TRIP! It is best to plan the things you know you and your family will enjoy most And take advantage of all the free entertainment Disney has to offer! My boyfriend and I fortunately live about an hour from Disney, so we will frequently spend the day just walking around downtown disney (where we met!) and then have a nice dinner at Rainforest, or the new exciting T-Rex!! It's a full day of the Disney atmosphere without the hefty ticket price!

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/cvgu4v8ugt5xyki7.png[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

NOTE FROM THE MODERATORS:

This is a great thread with helpful advice. If you have some great advice to share to help out those just starting on their trip planning please post!

But to keep the thread from becoming to long and cumbersome we are going to limits posts to those that offer advice only. It can be very difficult to wade through numerous "thanks" and "great advice" and "great thread" type posts to get to those offering helpful tips. I will be deleting these type of posts and just leaving those that offer trip planning advice.

If you have specific planning questions for your family or situation please post them in a new thread on the Welcome Board or on the appropriate Trip Planning Forum. We have quite a few topic specific boards to help you out:

Theme Parks Attractions and Stratagies
Disney Resorts
Disney Restaurants
Budget Board
Disney for Families
Disney for Adults and Solos
Transportation
Disney Tips

and we have boards just for Disney Cruise Line and Disney Vacation Club.

Enjoy your Disney Trip Planning and we are so glad you found the disboards to help you out!

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #20
linda19
Earning My Ears

Smile planning advice

Just back from our first trip. Our group ranged from the excessive planner (me) to my very laid back "don't plan anything" adult son to our 8 yr old "do everything now" grandson. Our compromise worked really well for us:
We did one park per day with one ADR (usually dinner)
We decided on 2 or 3 "must dos" for the park of the day
We got there before the park opened and at rope drop went directly to
those attractions (got on with little or no wait)
We did the rest of the day at a more leisurly pace - if lines were too long
we either got a FP or just skipped it.

Oh yes, we took a day off from parks in the middle of the week to enjoy our cabin and the activities at Ft. Wilderness (and rest up Grandma and Grandpa's weary bones.

We had a great time!!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #21
Danis630
Earning My Ears

Great Advice!!

I took my mom and dad for all most 2 weeks this past august for my 40th birthday and I researched and planned and made ADR's all over the place and we were going here on a certain day and there on another.

When we got there we ended up just doing whatever we felt like and kept are ADR's that I really wanted to go to and we just went with the flow.

It was so much fun and I didn't barely see all I wanted to ;-) of course so I am going back this December for 2 more weeks lol.

Thanks for helping others to remember to see the fun in whatever they decide to do on "their" dream vacation.

Dani
Old 10-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #22
Princess Janay
Mouseketeer

Here Here !!!! I agree with everyone !!!! Put down the books and just come out for a Visit! Once you've been here you'll be able to make your own assumptions. There is only so much you can read on the web on in the books.

Swagtivate Group trip: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party 8-21-2010

I take for a living it helps with my addiction for the mouse
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #23
Danielle618
Earning My Ears

Great advice!!! This trip I'm going to have to continue to remind myself of some of the things discussed on this thread. It will be the first time that my DS will not be using a stroller. DF and I are fast walkers (we know where we want to go, so get out of our way) and DS is always lagging behind. This trip we are going to try to slow it down a bit and "smell the roses".

Danielle
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #24
jadoca
Earning My Ears

We have spent many days at WDW....actually my husband was a seasonal part-time cast member working about six months in the winter. My favorite park is DAK with The Lion King Show, Safari, and Tough to Be a Bug being favorites. Next favorite park is EPCOT with Soarin' being a must. The fire works at EPCOT are actually fire, water and fireworks....an awesome display that is well worth planning on staying for one evening. MK fireworks, also excellent, include Tinker Bell's flight from the castle. A couple of pieces of possibly useful information. Christmas is not a good time to visit WDW as all parks are very crowded and when filled to capacity will be closed for a period of time during a very busy day. The week after Thanksgiving to mid-December is a slow time. Park hopping doesn't work well as you spend too much time traveling between parks even when using Disney transportation. To see as much as possible at MK you really need three days, AK is a 1 1/2 to 2 day venture, as is DHS. EPCOT is a full two days. It is best to get some of the park maps and study them so that you can decide what the family feels are must things to see and do. So that you have a great, memorable, "can't wait to get back to WDW" vacation, pace yourselves. Take advantage of the "fast pass" and remember that when you get a pass (one must be had for each person going on the ride) there will be a time on the pass when you can pick up your next "fast pass". Not every ride offers a "fast pass", just the very popular ones.
Have a fantastic WDW vacation.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #25
chargincharlie
Earning My Ears

Very good points been going to disney every year since 1996 for 2 to 3week vacations we see parents pushing there kids to major melt downs flying from ride to ride. We flew are 10 month old grand daughter for 5 days this year took her in the park for a few hours then took her back to the camper for a nap then we would go to the pool for a hour she had a blast with no melt downs at all for five days oh she did cry once when she got a belly ache from eating to much at the trails inn at dinner...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
marlym5
Earning My Ears

my experience with disney

I am a mom of 2 boys, they were 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 the 1st time we took them back in 2006. Everyone told me i was crazy for taking them when they were so young. However I will tell u that they still ask questions like" mommy remember when we ate breaakfast with mickey and goofy". Or my favorite was are we goona try to catch the ghosts again on the scary mansion ride." This goes to show they do remember, and I have scrapbooksthat we look atall the time. We are going back next month and they are more than excited! so go with your instinct, if you know your kids, you know what's best!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #27
Jaleatonbro
Earning My Ears

advice

I have been to Disney world 33 times in 16 years and if there is one thing I have learnt is best to go to the parks early, when you first enter go to get a fast pass for the long wait lines then get in one of the more popular attraction lines. Make sure you take breaks every now and then to gather thoughts and make sure you haven't lost anyone or anything. I wish you luck on your first trip.

Jaleatonbro
Old 01-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #28
LovetheTink
Mouseketeer

We are planning to go in June with a 3yo and 2yo so we're going to be going with the flow..definately taking breaks throughout the day and hopefully not get too stressed about what ride we're missing..lol. Also my sister and brother and their kids will be going at all different ages so our intrests might be different then theirs. Have fun everyone!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:17 AM   #29
Sullybosco
Earning My Ears

newbie advice

Your advice is excellent. I've been to DW 2 times (once as a kid and once with just DH) and unforunately due to NO planning and being overwhelmed I feel like our trips were wasted. This time 4-2010 I am planning what we Must see, would like to see and can skip. And hopefully making some order, realizing it needs to be flexible. I keep asking my DH to remind me if I get anxious about missing something that our kids (5,3,2) have absolutely no clue if we miss something, only I do, so not to make a big deal about it, the kids literally don't know what they are missing! (Just my two-sense)(or is it 2 cents?)
Old 01-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #30
ralanthony
Earning My Ears

100% agree with all the great advice. Getting ready for our 3rd trip. Try to plan a little but go with the flow as much as possible. Sometimes there is an attraction you considered skipping but there is no wait, you go and that ends up being a favorite. My favorite tips are taking full advantage of the FastPass and the Child Swap opportunity when riding most popular rides. When you just read about it, seems confusing. But once we had accomplished it a couple times, we became masters and got to do everything we really wanted several times!!

Remember not everyone's tips are going to work for you. You could make a full time job out of finding tips and discounts! Plan like you would for any other vacation, but then get ready for lots of great fun and surprises!
Closed Thread