Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
DisneyObsessive
DIS Veteran

Four New Yorkers' Not So Scary Pre-Trip Report!

Welcome, welcome to my pre-trip report!

We start with a few introductions:

Me (Christine): 22 years old, the Over-enthusiastic Disney Freak from Queens. Cast Member at the World of Disney in NYC for about a year and a half. Been to Disney 6 times, but never in October and so Food and Wine and MNSSHP is all new to me!

Pete (DBF): 29 years old, the cynical Grump from the Bronx. went to Disney for the first time in January. Not exactly "sold", but wanted to go again because he felt he was a sourpuss the whole trip last time and wants to make it up to me. It's a wonder how I fell in love with a non disney freak haha but we've been together 2 1/2 years and going strong.

John: 29 years old, the Outgoing Actor From Manhattan (but originally from Texas!). loves Disney enough. Went way back in the early 90s, and came with me and Pete in January. Had a blast and couldn't wait to return, pestered me EVERY SINGLE DAY until I said "YES we are going again!"

Mike: 26 years old, the ever-optimistic one from Queens. he completes our foursome (often refer to ourselves at the Ninja Turtles. Yes. We are geeks). He did not go with us in January because he already had a trip to Las Vegas planned, but he's coming a long this time and I'm SO excited we've completed our foursome!!!!

Dates:

October 15th-19th. The dates were all based on what I could get off from work. Pete's job is pretty lax about vacation time and Mike had no problems either. John works gig by gig and doesn't have anything planned for then.

Unfortunately, as of last year I was aware that the World of Disney in NYC is closing. They told us the date last month; December 31st. It's heartbreaking for all of us.

And of course, that meant mad dash for CMs to get their last trips to Florida. Holiday season is blocked out as they need as many of us as possible, so October is one of the last months to go and well, finding dates to be approved was tough because everyone was requesting off.

The Hotel:

We knew we were going back for sure since end of June, but I had to wait to find out if my request off was approved, which was a nerve wracking experience! But once we were giving the green-light early July, I ran home and booked rooms!

We debated on either staying in one room CSR (as we did last time and fell in love with) or spending pretty much the same amount for 2 rooms at Pop. We chose to go this route, so Pete and I will be in one room, Mike and John in another, and hopefully we will get the connecting rooms we requested.

Boy am I thankful I don't have to share a bathroom with 3 guys!

The Flights:

We will be traveling on Jetblue out of JFK. We have a 6:30 am flight out, landing approx 9:15 (though i have NEVER had a flight from NYC to Orlando last as long as they approximate, it's usually a good deal shorter).

We will be returning on a 6:40pm flight. But who wants to think about returning? Not me!

MNSSHP!

We are planning on going sunday the 18th. We wanted to dress up, but since I can't seem to coordinate anything with these guys, i don't see it happening *sigh*.

Next post:

A basic run down of our 5 day schedule!

Edit: Oh, ive posted these in the trip report section just to share, but i'll post em here too: John taped us on a mini video recorder so it's a two part video on youtube and it's pretty hilarious! and this way you can get an idea of how we are! (and yes, my hair was long there, it was long since i was 5 years old and i just got brave and cut it this past march!)

Part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61WBcLrGnFI

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn5TcnljIxw

Days Inn- Thanksgiving, 1988
Port Orleans, French Quarters- Christmas, 1998
Hotel Royal Plaza- July to August, 2003
Vistana Villa Resort- July, 2004
Pop Century (one night), Friends home in Tampa- Star Wars Weekends, May to June 2007
Coronado Springs-January 2009
Pop Century- October 2009

Last edited by DisneyObsessive; 09-25-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
jaydoe
Mouseketeer

Hello.... I came here from the October thread. We are heading to WDW the exact day you are!! It's my DD's first trip. So we are very much looking forward to it!!

Anyway I hope you, your DBF and your friends all have a magical vacation!!!

Disney Dream May 2012
WDW May 2012@All-Star Movies Oct 2009 @ POFQ,WDW Feb 2000 @ Dolphin, WDW May 1985 offsite
DL May 2014, Sept 2013, May 2013, Oct 2012, Oct 2011, Oct 2010, Oct 2008, April 2008, June 2007, Oct 2006, May 2005, May 2002, March '99, May '97, Aug '95, March '95, May '88, May '84, May '82, July '79
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
manntra
DIS Veteran

Hi there!
Came over from the October thread. Sadly, I will already be home by the time you go on your trip but I do have another already planned for May
I was there in January also...isn't it great to have two trips in one year...we are especially looking forward to MNSSHP and F&W

Tracy
Old 09-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
carps09
Norway's spirit always has been, and always will be, adventure

Looks like you have a fun bunch to travel with! Can't wait to read more about your trip!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
DisneyObsessive
DIS Veteran

Thanks JayDoe, Manntra, and carps 09 for dropping in!

Ok, so before I continue with a very vague day to day plan... I'm going to drop the bomb now. I do not make ADRs. I KNOW! You are all going and falling off your seats.

Mostly the reason is, I'm a poor just recent grad and table service at disney? not cheap. Even with my cast member discount (which isn't too much and varies place to place). Also, love to eat at DTD and the places i do like there, don't usually require an ADR. Or I like the places like Sci-fi dine in or San Angel Inn. which both have always been fairly easy to get a seat at the right time of day.

So yes. bomb dropped.

So here's the vague plan, with the details to be filled in when i have time to stop and breathe and do so lol.

Thursday, October 15th

Ok, this one is sort of up in the air. We are arriving around 9 am in MCO, I'm going to assume by the time we get to the hotel it'll be 10:30ish. Since we have such an early flight out of JFK, i might let the guys catch a nap before we head right to the parks.

I was planing on going to:

Because it's the only night we are there that they are going to show

But reading all the threads lately about how HS is so much more packed BECAUSE of the lack of shows, im worried. We just didn't get to see Fantasmic last time... and I've seen it but none of the guys ever have.

I'm religiously checking to see if another show is added on another date.

Thursday, October 16th

We'll be heading to

To experience

I'm thinking of doing the F&w gift cards, maybe put $200 on one for all of us or have us each just do a $50 card.

That evening we will head to

Which, can you believe in 6 visits i havent been to?

I want to check out the shops and street performers and we might end the night with

Saturday, October 17th

Thinking in the morning, we'll go to

Its a half day park for us, so from there we'll probably head to

Pete and John loved DTD so we'll def spend an evening there.

Sunday, October 18th

Maybe early in the day we'll go to

[IMG]http://www.*********************.com/images/fantasia_gardens.JPG[/IMG]

And then for 4:00 we'll head to MK to get in early for

Monday, October 19th

Maybe an early day to head back to a park we want to go back to, because our flight isn't until 6:40 pm, so assume ME picks us up from the hotel at 3:30ish, we can check out in the morning and leave our luggage and go hit up some last minute rides.

OR, i may interchange that idea with sunday morning, and monday we do mini-golf instead, as a nice easy going thing before we head home.

Of course this is all subject to severe scrutiny and changes lol so nothing is set in stone, as im sure you all know how that goes!

and any suggestions, do comment away!

Pop Century (one night), Friends home in Tampa- Star Wars Weekends, May to June 2007
Old 09-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
jaydoe
Mouseketeer

I know what you mean about the whole....going to HS on a Fantasmic day!! I had originally planned to go on a Fantasmic day, but after reading posts here.....I change it. We are lucky enough to be able to catch it later in the week. So my plan was just to go enjoy HS on a non-Fantasmic day and then just go to the park JUST to see Fantasmic later on in the week. Hope that works ....

Well, If you keep you plans the same....my family and I may run into you and your friends on Saturday. We are also planning on heading to Animal Kingdom!

Disney Dream May 2012
WDW May 2012@All-Star Movies Oct 2009 @ POFQ,WDW Feb 2000 @ Dolphin, WDW May 1985 offsite
DL May 2014, Sept 2013, May 2013, Oct 2012, Oct 2011, Oct 2010, Oct 2008, April 2008, June 2007, Oct 2006, May 2005, May 2002, March '99, May '97, Aug '95, March '95, May '88, May '84, May '82, July '79
Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
DisneyObsessive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoe View Post
I know what you mean about the whole....going to HS on a Fantasmic day!! I had originally planned to go on a Fantasmic day, but after reading posts here.....I change it. We are lucky enough to be able to catch it later in the week. So my plan was just to go enjoy HS on a non-Fantasmic day and then just go to the park JUST to see Fantasmic later on in the week. Hope that works ....

Well, If you keep you plans the same....my family and I may run into you and your friends on Saturday. We are also planning on heading to Animal Kingdom!
Trying to take a look at HS calendar for Oct and it won't load on the official site. in fact, the other months load just not oct. wonder if they are updating it? I hope a show is added it'll ease my mind.

And that'd be awesome to run into you, i'd like to attach a lime green mickey to my bag. i won't even tell the guys what its about lol. So maybe you can be on the lookout!

Old 09-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
DisneyObsessive
DIS Veteran

So, starting to mark off things to do. Got a much needed hair cut today, and bought my travel sized supplies from cvs and got my prescriptions for the next month so I'm all set on that.

Apparently the month of October for Hollywood Studios has not been showing on the official site... but someone posted a link of the UK version and I'm ecstatic!

Seems October 15th's time was extended from 7:30 closing to 9 so we really have time to rest when we check in, and we have two F! shows to try and catch which is better odds lol. I do still worry about heavy crowds in general on that day, but I think we can brave it.

What's left? Packing list made...

Flight information written and posted on the fridge (my father will wig if he doesn't have the info).

At this point I've not too much to do until it's time to pack, which for me i start only a couple of days before leaving.

That's too much time without something to do! Sure I have work, but it still doesn't make time go fast enough!

I want to try to buy a new pair of jeans before I go down, so that's something on the list. But i feel sort of in that in between stage where I don't know what to do besides twiddle my fingers!

That's my update for now! Next will be the list of things we didn't get to do last trip that we must do this trip!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
jaydoe
Mouseketeer

I'm sure it has to feel good to have most of your tasks finished!!!

I actually still have a few things left to do before our flight! I still have to get to Wal-Mart for some of those last minute items....such as stuff for my contacts, batteries, wipes, hand sanitzer.......basically all that fun travel stuff we all seem to love!! I've already made my Itinerary......which came out very cute and for some reason making it makes me very happy!!

We leave on the 15th at 11:05am my time. And i'm off that whole week so my plan is to clean the heck out of my house (cause I LOVE coming home to a clean house after vacation), get all our stuff packed by Tuesday....that way on Wednesday....I will have a day of relaxation!!!!! Then vacation time!!!!

I know what you mean about having nothing to do as far as planning, but I would much rather be twiddling my thumbs than having to run around like a crazy lady!!!

Disney Dream May 2012
Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
DisneyObsessive
DIS Veteran

So like I've said before, John, Pete and I went to Disney in January. While I pride myself on getting us to hit many, many attractions and places there are still some things we missed that are must-dos this time around.

Magic Kingdom

Because it was down for refurb at the time, we have to make sure we hit

We also need to hop on

As well as

Hollywood Studios:

We've got to plan around the times for

and possibly see if we can do

and OF COURSE find some seats for

Epcot:

Ride-wise we hit mostly everything last time, i think this time we need to just spend more time in

Animal Kingdom:

Again, we hit mostly everything. If the wait isn't long, we'll check out

But I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of it.

Also, we gotta see

Outside The Parks:

Like i said earlier, we will make time for:

And since we were last there, this place opened so we gotta check it out:

And I'm considering, but not totally convinced on

I've read great opinions but i just don't know if it's worth the money.

Anywho, only 3 full weeks to go! Getting closer and closer!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
DisneyObsessive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoe View Post
I'm sure it has to feel good to have most of your tasks finished!!!

I actually still have a few things left to do before our flight! I still have to get to Wal-Mart for some of those last minute items....such as stuff for my contacts, batteries, wipes, hand sanitzer.......basically all that fun travel stuff we all seem to love!! I've already made my Itinerary......which came out very cute and for some reason making it makes me very happy!!

We leave on the 15th at 11:05am my time. And i'm off that whole week so my plan is to clean the heck out of my house (cause I LOVE coming home to a clean house after vacation), get all our stuff packed by Tuesday....that way on Wednesday....I will have a day of relaxation!!!!! Then vacation time!!!!

I know what you mean about having nothing to do as far as planning, but I would much rather be twiddling my thumbs than having to run around like a crazy lady!!!

I have to see what my work schedule is like that tuesday and wednesday, but relaxation is probably NOT in the cards! I have to request an opening shift on wednesday, because i have to be up at 4 am thursday and do not want to be coming home from work at 10pm and heading right to bed when I'll have so much preparation to do!!! Besides when i open i have to be up at 7 am, so hopefully ill be tired by that night and sleep better (because i never sleep before going to disney!).

And yeah i just picked up the hand sanitizer and all that yesterday! There's something really fun about buying all that travel sized stuff

Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
redsunfish
Mouseketeer

Hi there!

I just came over from the October thread as well and I'm getting to disney on the same day as you and jaydoe! Our flight gets into Orlando at 11am.

I'm also going to be in Animal Kingdom the same day as you guys are and I have the same fantasmic plan for the following week as jaydoe....guess we learn similar planning from being on the DIS

Anyway, I hope you have a great trip to Disney!

May 1989 - Offsite - Family Trip, May 1996 - Offsite - School band, Aug 2007 - All Star Sports - Me & DH, Oct 2009 - Birthday trip - POFQ - Me & DH
Old 09-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
jaydoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunfish View Post
Hi there!

I just came over from the October thread as well and I'm getting to disney on the same day as you and jaydoe! Our flight gets into Orlando at 11am.

I'm also going to be in Animal Kingdom the same day as you guys are and I have the same fantasmic plan for the following week as jaydoe....guess we learn similar planning from being on the DIS

Anyway, I hope you have a great trip to Disney!
That is kinda funny how we seem to get these ideas and do the same thing!! I had orignally planned on going to HS on a Fantasmic day until I read threads here.....and changed that real quick!! Hopefully my plan works well. I even had to change my ADR for Sci-Fi Dine In Theater. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to find one.....but I had no problem.

We are only 3 WEEKS AWAY!!!! I'm getting SUPER excited!!!!

Disney Dream May 2012
Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
DisneyObsessive
DIS Veteran

I have 2 very long shifts at work today and tomorrow... but I'll update soon on how me, the girl who never makes ADRs, has decided to experiment....

And check out those counters guys! Officially less than 3 weeks!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
DisneyObsessive
DIS Veteran

So I've been so busy at work and all I lost track of how many days, and here we are at 18 left! We've hit the teens, people! That's a big break through considering ive been counting down since about 80-some odd days.

So... I decided to experiment with ADRs. I've only placed 2, and at places that are cheap and not so fancy, but as a way to ensure a couple of sit down lunch/dinners and to experiment with it and see how it all works out (especially with a couple of guys who have a little trouble being on time haha).

The first one is for our day of arrival. It's for 3:45 at

I'm not telling the guys AT ALL about the "experience" there, I'll let them discover that for themselves!!!

The second is for the day we go to MNNSHP. it's 4:20 at

I figure that way we can eat before the festivities begin and take our time doing so.

My only thing is I'm still sooo iffy about DHS on a fantasmic day... so if that changes, so does my ADR. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding if facing crowds is worth it to attempt to get into a Fantasmic show but none of my fellow travelers know enough to help me on this end.

Am i crazy for doing this?

Anyway, like i said the ADRs are just an experiment of sorts, not at anywhere important, just testing out the system for myself and seeing if i like it.I've heard so many stories of people having ADRs and having to wait a long time anyway so I'd like to see how it all turns out.

At this point im time I'm ready to hop on a plane RIGHT NOW!

I'll update later with some must-do traditions that I have for my trips down!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: