Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
sodashopsunshine
Future Disney Bride

My Proposal story...the longest version ever pictures

I had no idea this was going to happen this weekend…the proposal.
(picture and word heavy, sorry!)

The Location:
My family has a beach house down in Florida (sitting right on the sand of the Gulf, in-between Panama City Beach and Destin). This place is so special to me, My Grandmother lived here on the beach since I was born, and we were very close. There was never a year, despite our distant that we didn’t see each other at least 10 times. In my college years she helped me through tough times and even in the last year of her life we became even closer. Funny how that works, I had no idea that she was going to pass away, I just realized how amazing of a person she was. She passed away 6 years ago. My aunt and my mom decided to keep “Gramma’s Beach House” the same way it was, for us to visit throughout the year. Often times I’ve cried while my boyfriend and I were down there wishing that he could have met my grandmother, and these beaches make me feel so close to her. This beach also became a special place from my boyfriend and I, we visited there many times and it felt like a home away from home for us. So on September 3, 2009 I had no idea that this special place would be the place where DF (that does mean fiancé right?) would pop the question.
here is bettie pug posing in the "backyard" of the beach house...

The Ring:
Little to my knowledge my DFi went to my Mom & Dad’s place to pick up my ring (which turns out to be my grandmother’s ring from the 60’s. My mom, being a jeweler sneakily got sized to my exact finger size from other rings I tried on at her house). Aaron asked my parents what they thought, got the green light to go ahead and put the ring in a box, in a sock and it rested there safely in his bag.

The 8 hour drive from Nashville, TN to Sunnyside, FL – the PMS that I was suffering from and the fuel injector spilt all over me…made me very cranky (YES I really cried “This is the worst vacation EVER, already” at the gas station just 1 hour into our trip) but Aaron was such a sweetheart the whole trip. Looking back I realize how nervous he was, his stomach was hurting, he was hardly eating but I just thought he had eaten something bad.

Get to the proposal already:
9/3/09 sunset Aaron kept pestering me to walk on the beach at sunset, we’ve been down to the house many times and we always walk on the beach so this wasn’t strange to me. The day after the trip from HELL down there I wasn’t in the mood. I agreed anyway, and was glad I did. It was honeslty the most beautiful sunset I’ve ever seen down there. While walking we noticed a woman looking for shells, a few children and then a SEA TURTLE in the gulf, swimming out to sea. Aaron walked right up behind him and then the little Crush swam away. First time I’ve ever see that there. Then as the clouds were letting the sun peak through, I was still in shock about the turtle. Aaron reached down and finds a “shell” and I say “wow that’s a really awesome shell” and the he says “it looks like it’s got something in it” so then I realize that it’s NOT a SHELL it’s a little pocket that has a clasp and at this moment I just knew…that THIS WAS WHAT THAT WOMAN WAS LOOKING FOR! “OH no…we have to go give this to that lady, she must have dropped this and THIS is what she is looking for” (I really had no idea it was for me) and that’s when Aaron said, open it and as I did I saw a ring “Oh no, IT’S HER RING!” I still thinking this was the ladies was so confused when he got down on one knee, “no, stop, stop you’re kidding…this is serious…” I thought he was kidding and I was dead set giving this woman back her shell. That’s when he took the ring out of the shell and said “Will You Marry Me?” and some other things which I have no memory of. I was in shock I just looked at him and he had the greatest look on his face (whenever I get mad I will just remember that day and the look on his face, it was so pure and full of love). Blah blah blah I said “well, yes of course” and walked down the beach where a woman stopped and said she had taken a few pictures of us, and congratulated us. We walked about 2 miles that day just down the beach and saw 2 stingrays, many crabs, a beautiful sunset and a full(ish) moon on the walk back. (I mean this is sounding like an Adam Sandler film right, where that “YOU CAN DO IT GUY” is releasing this marine life behind our backs) The day after we took a few pictures of the “here’s the shell…opening the shell” to share with our families so I’ll share them here too…Everyone knew for months, except me...I mean we had talked about it, looked at rings etc. but I had no idea it was coming.

SO NOW ON TO THE DISNEY WEDDING PLANNING…

wedding planning teaser: I have a very LARGE close family,I know I want Mickey Waffle's, Photobooth, lots of fun!

sorry for the bad grammar, spelling, I'm rushing to get this done on top of 200303 other things today
Old 09-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
mjshorses
Fezzik: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that? Man in Black: Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future. --The Princess Bride

What a great story! How great for your DF to incorporate your grandmother's place and ring especially considering what she meant to you. I'm happy your trip took a turn for the better
mjshorses is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
pezaddict231
DIS Veteran

Congrats and what a great story! It was so funny that you that it was that lady's shell! You should start a PJ with all your plans.

Happy Planning!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
MainStMandy
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!!
MainStMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
LLLBelle
DIS Veteran

Congrats! That's adorable!
LLLBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
CelticBelle
I think my favorite is a phone ringing
Thats me too! the cat herder!

Congrats! I love that he used your grandmothers ring. thats so sweet.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
sodashopsunshine
Future Disney Bride

Thanks everyone!

I will start a PJ just as soon as I come up with a roundabout date...I really started planning earlier this year after we talked about getting engaged, haha How about another Halloween-time wedding PJ?

He has only been to Disney ONCE in his life (with a really really horrible exgirlfriend - they stayed off prop, only went to magic kingdom 1 really rainy day and well...bad moods all around)

I'm really excited to share a place that is pretty much my second home (been going since I was in the womb) with him, because I know he will fall in love with it (Epcot is a must for him)! We were going to do the MNSSHP this year but tight on cash so I think him and his brother will join my family at the Fort for Christmas for a few days (his bro is in the Navy so it'd save them a lot)

I'm so worried about money for the wedding...i've got to learn to save save save and don't want our parents to feel like they have to pay for the WHOLE thing so we might be looking at a 2011 or 2012 wedding date (even though he is telling people he thinks it will be next year ) I'm the realistic one in this wedding planning! He went through Carrie's Passporter book with me yesterday and is getting really excited, me too!

See ya in the PJ. (I've always wanted to use the banana guy)
Old 09-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Are you telling me he really planted the ring in the sand?!?! And then managed to walk back to it?!?!

OMG! I couldn't do that! I once sat a brightly coloured toy car on the sand at a deserted beach once, went to get a bucket of sea water and came back and for the life of me could not find that damn car!!! Fair enough I was maybe 11 but seriously learnt my lesson from that and have never sat anything by it's self on the sand ever again!!!

Beautiful story though, sounds like he went to a lot of work to make it perfect!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
sodashopsunshine
Future Disney Bride

haha he had it in his pocket the whole time! I didn't notice him place it in the sand when i was turned around lookin' at baby crush from nemo. I thought the same thing afterwards!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Dizzy627
Earning My Ears

Oh my god, that's such a cute engagement story. Congratulations!
Dizzy627 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engagement, florida

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: