Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #76
tink_lover
POLKA PRINCESS

We would not go again. Went on a Sunday night last year in mid-October and while I agree with others that the parade and especially fireworks are fantastic - we have never encountered such massive crowds - and we usually vacation at WDW over spring break. There were times when we could not even move the crowds were so heavy. I think a lot depends on when you go. We were told that because it was a Sunday, probably a lot of locals there. I don't know, just know that I'm glad we experienced it, but wouldn't do it again. We will be down there for one of the MNSSHP in Sept and plan to watch the fireworks from the beach at Poly.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #77
MarieS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrissa View Post
Wow...I just stumbled onto this thread, which is really great. I love reading all of the comments. I didn't even know about MNSSHP!
We will definitely be going! We're at DW 9/29 to 10/5, so we should be able to work it in.

Question. My boys LOVE all things Halloween and they love to dress up. Do a lot of guests dress up? Only thing is...more stuff to pack...ugh... Anybody acutally pack costumes?

Me DH DS(13) DS(9) DS(6)

Many adults and kids are dressed up. I love seeing how creative some groups are with their themes. We bring costumes, but keep in mind how hot it can be in Florida at that time of year and plan accordingly. Be sure the costumes are not too bulky or awkward for getting on/off rides. If your boys love halloween this should be a lot of fun for them!

MarieS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #78
PDJPrinceCharming
I'll be easy to spot. Come & say hello...
Ok I might be losing my mind here & that is very possible

Been going every year since 2006 & twice last year. This will be my 5th MNSSHP & every year I have more fun. It might be a little different this year without the option of SM but where else in the world can a near 30 year old trick or treat constantly without worry of glares from others? The lines were never too bad, just go in around 4 & take care of Fantasyland before the actual party begins at 7 & you're golden. The Ghirardelli at the turnstiles when you exit definately doesn't hurt things either. Have a great time, its definately worth every penny.

Movies 2006 & Christmas 2013, Music 2007 & Sports Christmas 2008
Pop 2008, 2009(20th Trip), 2010, 2011(It's a Non Kinda Thing!), Christmas 2012(Podcast Cruise 4.0), 2013, 2014 & Christmas 2014
Art of Animation 2012(Disney Sea Across The Universal)
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo 2013 Kidani Village Christmas 2013
Boardwalk Villas Christmas 2013
Old Key West Villas Christmas 2013 & 2014
Villas at Grand Floridian Christmas 2013
Polynesian Resort Christmas 2012
Paradise Pier at Disneyland Resort- Christmas 2009
Cabana Bay Beach Resort at Universal- 2014 & Christmas 2014

My YouTube Channel: Pop www.youtube.com/user/SirOwenDisney
PDJPrinceCharming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #79
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

I have a question about the park crowded-ness during the day of MNSSHP.

We'll be going on 9/25 (so not near Halloween at all really.)
Since MK closes at 7 pm that day, I would figure that people would want to go to other parks and it wouldn't be that crowded.

MK has EMH the day before, so if I wasn't doing the party I would probably do MK that day. AK has evening EMH on the day of the 9/25 party, so if I weren't going to the party I would go there instead of MK.

So am I right in assuming that the daytime of MNSSHP won't be too crowded? I can't see people going there unless they have park hoppers...What do you think?
Beauty & the Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #80
rainydayplay
DIS Veteran

Took my DD (4 at the time) to MNSSHP last year. She took a late afternoon nap and was ready to go for the party.

We went on Columbus Day, so there was a sign up at the gate that said that night's party was sold out.

The lines for the rides that we went on were insanely short. In fact, on the Buzz Lightyear ride, we were stopped in the room with Zurg for a bit both times we rode that night, which gave us extra opportunity for racking up some points. (When we rode it again later in the week, it just didn't seem right to go straight through without at least slowing down for that part...)

There were several characters available for meeting with little or no lines. Tons of candy (like we needed that, being on DxDP). And the parade was great.

My only complaint was the Villians stage show, which got rained out, but was certainly no fault of Disney's. I had really looked forward to that.

I would definitely go again!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #81
Kit'smommy
Luck favors the prepared, darling.

We have been to 5 MVMCP, 2 MNSSHP and 1 P&P Party. All have been great! DS who is now 5 has been to 4 of the above and has done great every time, even when he was under 2.

We have only been in really large crowds one time, in all the times we have attended.

We are planning to go in September and DS is really excited.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #82
LaughingGravy
Earning My Ears

We only have 4 nights/5 days.
4 parks to see.
5th day DME departure will be at 3:55, so pretty much 1/2 a day for any make up park we want to go back to.

No park hopping.

We're on Free Dining, so have planned the park we go to around what TS we really wanted to get into and what's available at relatively normal times.
At least we have those.

For the 4 of us to go to MNSSHP, it'll be $210.
We're Free Dining people here, and that's making the difference between us going and not, so an extra $210?

First day is DHS based on the strong desire of DW to do 50s Prime Time and the only time we can get the ADR when reasonable for dinner.
Happy DW = Happy Life

The first night is the only night MNSSHP is on during our stay.

Flight arrives at 9:44am MCO

DHS closes at 7PM, so will spend as much time as possible at DHS until close.
Add 45 min. for time to get to MK with buses, and we're basically down to 4 hours 15 min, best case.
Our kids only like chocolate candy (Snickers, Milky Way, Reese's etc, with the exceptions of taffys, and Nerds).

They're usually out like lights by 10:30 latest, would likely stay up, but we need them to be up for 8AM "rope drop" at Epcot the next day.
Like pulling teeth to get them up in the AM on a good day.

I saw a full and high quality video of the MNSSHP fireworks show.
It's nice. Really, it is.
I also saw a full video of the parade in the same quality.
Again, nice, it really is.

$210/4 hours= $52.50 /hour to:
-Watch a parade. The kids are not huge villain fans any more than the other characters. They'll be fine with any regular parade, and even then may wish to bypass in favor of the attractions.

-Hope the kids make it that long until midnight. First day starts really early from home with a 5AM departure from home not including wake up time.

-Collect candy of which 70% or more they don't eat.

-Go on rides they'll be on in two days with the possibility of multiple reports of crowds, which we hate; that's one reason why we go in the off season.

-See a fireworks show, of which we'll see Wishes and Illuminations in the next 2 days.

-Deal with what seem to always be reported as mega crowded buses at the end of the night.

That said:
IF we had another day where we could enter the park at 4PM, getting 8 hours out of it, we might do it, (yes, as cheap as we are!) but I can't see how. Too much to do at DHS.

So, we're taking it a bit easy on the first day, since we'll be departing the house at 5AM for the flight down and allowing some down time at the hotel pool or DD for the first day, plus any leisurely shopping on the way out of DHS.
Oh, and there will be $210 not OOP.

I wish it would work for us, but it doesn't.
LaughingGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #83
TiggeRx
Mouseketeer

The original question was "Is it worth it?"
My opinion is no.

Let me explain.

It would cost our family of 5 $242 dollars. This would give us an evening at MK, to which we already have purchased a 7 day hopper pass. From past experience (yes, I've done it twice), for that money, we get a headless horseman led parade, special fireworks, special decorations and lightings, and trick or treating. That's it!
When we last did this (2006), we had to wait 40 minutes for POC. 40 minutes! In October! We then rode attractions that we could have done earlier in the day, or later in our vacation.
Now granted, by midnight, it did seem we had the park to ourselves, and could ride Buzz Lightyear without a wait, numerous times. But so to could we during an evening EMH.

I do think, however, if you reside in Florida, or are within driving distance, it may well be worth it.
Just not convinced to have an additional cost on a park hopper ticket.

Now, if you want to have the pants scared off of ya...
HallowScreams at Busch Gardens!
Excellent!
TiggeRx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boys, mnsshp

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: