Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Mocharilla
DIS Veteran

We didn't come to Disney to sleep!! - A Honeymoon TR; 9/2 Garden Grill

Alright. My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon in Disney!

We got engaged there August 2008 (you can read about it in our other TR), so we had to go back.

Details, details, details, right?

Who: Me and my husband, Nic.
What: Our honeymoon!
Where: Disney's Polynesian Resort, plus one night at All Star Sports
When: August 2nd-10th, 2009.
Package: MYW w/ Deluxe DDP

Enjoy!

Table of Contents:
Intro (This post)

August 2nd, 2009: Arrival/Downtown Disney
Part 01: Arrival and Tea
Part 02: Downtown Disney + Raglan Road

August 3rd, 2009: Epcot
Part 03: 1900 Park Fare + Epcot Morning
Part 04: Le Cellier + Epcot Afternoon
Part 05: Garden Grill
08/08 Trip Report - Engagement (Complete) 08/08 Dining Report - Engagement (Complete)

Last edited by Mocharilla; 09-02-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Me&3
DIS Veteran

Welcome Back Can't wait to see and hear more.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Mocharilla
DIS Veteran

Arrival and Tea

Well, after a long crazy day of getting married, we spent the night at the airport Westin. We woke up the next morning and headed down to the check-in and security. Got in, got on the plane, no issues.

Here's the stars of this TR on the plane:

And our weird faces in attempting to take good pictures:

We got off the plane and headed to the ME. My uncle stopped by (he works at the Orlando airport) since he couldn't make it to the wedding due to work and surprised us.

We got to ME, waited maybe 5 minutes, and up pulled a bus! Little did we know that would be our only good bus service all week, but that's a story for later in the TR.

We're almost there!

Yaaaay!

And the Poly is the first stop. Sweet

Oh, Poly, how I love you.

We checked in and found out we were in Tahiti. A quick side note on our thoughts on that. We loved being so close to the beach! But, we definitely found it faster to walk to the TTC unless we were going to another resort. It was closer, and mostly shaded. The only thing we didn't like was the distance from the GCH, because we barely used our mugs due to the walk.

Well, our room wasn't ready, so we wandered a while, and decided to go to Captain Cook's

We got two yogurt parfaits because we thought tea wouldn't be much food (we were wrong).

They were good, but frozen.

Side note: On food, I'll give a basic thought on each dish, but if you want really in depth, my dining review is going to have that. I'll be writing it together with this.

Well, since our room wasn't ready and we were bored, we headed to the GF. We had tea reservations, but not for almost two hours. We walked around for a bit and explored. Then, we finally headed down to the tea room. I went up to the lady and explained that we hoped to get in early, and she told us no problem since they weren't busy, and sat us right away. She did make sure to note we had arrived for our reservation so they knew we wouldn't be there then.

Happy to be seated!

And here's the menu:

Mmmm, sugar cubes!

Yes, I ate one.

We went with the Buckingham Palace tea.

Nic got the Nobo Whole Fruit:

It was SUPER sweet. Much moreso than we expected. But, still good.

I got the Princess Breakfast Tea:

Nic really liked it. I thought it was a little weird, but good. It reminded me a little bit of cough syrup, so I didn't totally love it.

First of the food was the sandwiches:

There is an onion tart that was a little too weird for me. Not a big fan of sweet onion things. There were five sandwiches. Egg Salad, Chicken Salad, Shrimp Salad, Pear and Gorgonzola, and Cucumber and Watercress. I subbed an extra egg salad instead of shrimp, and Ali subbed an extra chicken salad instead of egg. They were all totally delicious!

Next up was the scone and tart round.

The scone was delicious! Moist, and just sweet enough. The tart was good, but nothing special.

Now, normally, they let you each choose two pastries. But, we were on our honeymoon, so they told us to each choose three!

Here's the tiramisu, raspberry swan, and chocolate covered eclair.

The tiramisu was very good, even though I usually don't like coffee flavoring. The raspberry swan was very strange. The raspberry was good, but the pastry was... not quite gross, but just not good. The chocolate eclair was just okay for me, but Nic really liked it.

And here's the fruit mousse, chocolate covered strawberry, and banana cake.

The fruit mousse was strawberry and mango. We thought it was very light and perfect. The chocolate covered strawberry was just that. But, we noticed it was well made. The chocolate actually stayed attached after a bite and didn't all fall off. The banana cake was by far our favorite. So delicious!!

Coming up: Tour of our room, and Downtown Disney (with dinner at Raglan Road)
08/08 Trip Report - Engagement (Complete) 08/08 Dining Report - Engagement (Complete)
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Yay! Subscribing!

Next Trip: September 25, 2014!
Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
crocko
DVC Member

Yay for a Disneymoon!

Signing on to follow along.
Saratoga Springs (2008, 2011)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (2009)
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 08-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
janloz
Wishing I was at WDW now.

Welcome Back and Congrats on the wedding! Waiting for more and some wedding pics.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
MrsSpratt
I've got a Bazooka full of Pixie Dust, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Congratulations!

I'm curious - how did your DH enjoy the tea? Did he feel comfortable? I think I might be able to convince mine with the promise of sandwiches....

Can't wait for more!

Mrs. SPratt

The "Bueller" Family hits the world, with Auntie Spratt reporting Pixie Dust LIVE!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215281
Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Mocharilla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&3 View Post
Welcome Back Can't wait to see and hear more.
Thank you! Glad to have you along for another TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
Yay! Subscribing!
Yay! And Nicole's here, too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocko View Post
Yay for a Disneymoon!

Signing on to follow along.
Yay! Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloz View Post
Welcome Back and Congrats on the wedding! Waiting for more and some wedding pics.
Yay janloz!! Everyone's here. (Well, not quite. Missing a few still, but shhh...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpratt View Post
Congratulations!

I'm curious - how did your DH enjoy the tea? Did he feel comfortable? I think I might be able to convince mine with the promise of sandwiches....

Can't wait for more!

Mrs. SPratt
Thank you!

He really enjoyed it! He didn't feel weird at all, like it was some weird girly thing. There were lots of other guys there, too. And none seemed too annoyed, that I could tell.

Although, he does have a weird thing for tea...
Old 08-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
Mocharilla
DIS Veteran

Downtown Disney + Raglan Road

Well, during tea, we got the text that our room was ready!! So, we headed back to the Poly after tea. We were in 1014, which is the first floor, all the way to the West side of the floor (first room when you come in the building), facing away from MK. Sweet. First floor, and near the door. We like that.

So, we dropped our stuff and headed over to the bus stop for DTD. We waited about 10 minutes, and the bus came, and we got on.

First up, Goofy's.

We each got a make-your-own. Unfortunately, I didn't upload those pictures yet. But, they'll be posted in my snack post. (I plan to do "side note" posts, with things like photopass pictures, snacks, our room, wedding pictures, etc) Nic got the rice krispie treat with dark chocolate, M&Ms, butterfinger, and caramel. I got the pretzel rods: dark choc with dark/white choc chips and milk drizzle, white with oreo and milk drizzle, and milk with peanuts and caramel drizzle. All delicious!!

We then walked around and visited the rest of the shops

Legos!

These were all little lego guys on the wall. Pretty cool.

We caught a glimpse of the new T-Rex restaurant:

Then, we headed into Pleasure Island. It's very strange right now, if you haven't been there since it closed. All the buildings are still there, just not lit up and closed. Kinda freaky, like looking across Hourglass Lake at Pop Century at the unfinished buildings.

Anyways, on to Raglan Road!

Nic was so excited about eating here the whole time we were planning, so we were excited to get there.

First came the soda bread:

And the dip:

We got what they were trying to do with the dip, but it wasn't working. My mom makes soda bread, and I like it, but this was really dry and not good. Worrying start.

I got the Lickin Chicken:

Overall, I LOVED this dish.

Nic got the soup of the day, a Canadian Beer and Cheese soup.

So delicious!! Gave Le Cellier's a run for their money (but the pretzel bread makes them win).

I got the Goat's Town:

It was good, but after a few bites, it was very overwhelming.

Nic got the fish and chips:

He thought it was really good.

For dessert, I got the Triple Your Pleasure:

The white was PERFECT. The milk was a little thin and the taste reminded me of when you try to make chocolate milk and put in too much chocolate syrup. The dark chocolate was a little thick for my taste, but it tasted delicious!

Nic got the Dunbrody's Kiss:

It had a really good chocolate taste to it, but there were these weird chunks in it.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
crocko
DVC Member

Very cool time at DTD.

I'm excited about getting to do a make-your-own at Goofy's!
Saratoga Springs (2008, 2011)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (2009)
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
tlhbdm
1354.40 miles away from the mouse

Hi Summer!

Congrats to you and DH! Can't wait to read more
1992-Carribean Beach, 1993-POFQ, 1996-POFQ, 2001-POFQ, 2002-POR , 2005-Cornado Springs , 2006-Pop Century , May 2007-Pop Century, , December 2007-Contemporary, 2009-SSR, 2010-WLV, 2011-WLV , 2013-POR & Off-site, 2014-WL

Me(25) DH(26)
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Yay! I'm here! I'm looking forward to it all - looks like you are off to a pretty good start with the tea and DTD. The Lego Man wall is really neat - we've never been in that store.

You are going to share wedding pics, right????!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

I love the new text messaging system, I almost don't want my room to be ready when I check in just to use it! lol

Next Trip: September 25, 2014!
Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Mocharilla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocko View Post
Very cool time at DTD.

I'm excited about getting to do a make-your-own at Goofy's!
I totally dork out about it, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhbdm View Post
Hi Summer!

Congrats to you and DH! Can't wait to read more
Thank you! Well, more is coming up tonight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Yay! I'm here! I'm looking forward to it all - looks like you are off to a pretty good start with the tea and DTD. The Lego Man wall is really neat - we've never been in that store.

You are going to share wedding pics, right????!
Good. I was starting to get worried that you got lost! I never noticed the lego man wall before, so when I did notice it, I got excited. Jacques would have such a blast in there now, but I'm pretty sure the people who hate to sort the bins would hate us. You guys should check it out.

Of course!! I'm waiting for them to come back from the photographer, and then I'll port them! I can't wait to get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
I love the new text messaging system, I almost don't want my room to be ready when I check in just to use it! lol
lol, Yeah. I did get totally excited, and I won't ever delete it.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
Mocharilla
DIS Veteran

1900 Park Fare and Epcot Morning

(Warning, I almost directly copied the 1900 PF part from my dining review)

We started off the day by hopping a monorail for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare.

It all started okay. We sat down and ordered orange juice and chocolate milk for both of us. Server seemed friendly. We could see the characters making their way around. Alright.

Then I asked where the bathroom was. This was the first of many restaurants where the bathroom is outside the restaurant. I hate that. I should not have to trek across the hotel for a bathroom. So, I go, letting the guy standing at the door know that's where I'm going, and do I need to do anything special to get back in. He says no, it's fine. So, I go, and come back, and it's another guy standing there, and he's all suspicious. I'm like "Do people never have to pee?! This place is filled with children. Are you kidding?" and finally after pointing out my table and telling him my name and reservation time (which he didn't check while I was there, but seemed to reassure him), he let me go. So, I'm grumpy when I get back to the table.

Alright, let's go get food, and see if that cheers me up.

Here's Nic's plate:

That's strawberry soup up in the corner. Then, clockwise around the plate, pineapple, croissant, potatoes, ham, sausage in the middle.

The soup was good, but more creamy and less strawberry-y than we'd hoped for. The pineapple was really good and juicy and sweet. Nic informed me that the croissant want "not croissant-y enough". Take that for whatever you want. The potatoes were good, but a little bland. The ham was super good. Our favorite thing. And the sausage was "sausage-y" according to Nic (which he explained as meaning, it tastes like sausage, and it's not bad, but not super good).

And here's my plate:

Starting at the bagel, going clockwise: bagel with cream cheese and tomato, potatoes, yogurt with granola, bacon, ham, breakfast pizza, sticky bun.

The bagel itself was stale. The granola was stale. The bacon was gross (although I never had good bacon, except at Kona, the whole trip). The breakfast pizza was okay. And the sticky roll itself was good, but the nuts tasted weird. Yeah, not so happy with my plate.

And a close up shot of the soup:

Now, during our trip up, she brought our drinks, and we returned to one glass of chocolate milk. We didn't think too much of it, and thought we'd ask for another one. Little did we know, we would not see her for over 40 minutes. We ate, and were not necessarily full, but not hungry anymore. Then we sat and waited. And waited. And waited. All the characters came around.

And then started to come around again. And we were getting pissed. Finally, we saw another server, and asked her to please get us our server. So, she finally comes out, acting like nothing's wrong, and I'm like, "Can we please get our check now? We've been done for quite a while." So, she gets us our check. Then, she disappears for another 15 minutes to freaking run our card. I was livid by the time we left.

So, yeah, awful time. But, it's time for Epcot!!

We started by going to Soarin and getting a fastpass, and then visiting The Seas a bit.

We saw the Jammitors.

Kinda cool show.

Then, of course, time for Club Cool!

Then we grabbed Test Track fastpasses, since our old ones were up already!

We went to Mousegears to pick up some souvenirs (those will be pictured in the souvenir post).

Time for the World Showcase!

We like to start in Canada, plus we had lunch reservations here, so that was first!

Hotel du canada

The waterfall

O'Canada (no, we didn't watch it)

The gardens

Next up, time for Le Cellier!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: