Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
aggiedisney
Earning My Ears

Princess meals???

We're going to Disney in May...starting early on my planning. I've got 2 sons (12, 9) and a daughter (5). We're looking for the best princess meal. We're focusing on girl meals this time because the boys had their turn last trip. What are the best princess meals and why do you think that? I was thinking CRT (for the castle experience) and Askerhaus both for breakfast, but then I heard how wonderful 1900 is for dinner. HELP!! We'll go really cheap on our other meals, so the expense isn't really what we're looking at right now, we're looking for 1) best experience and 2) decent food. THANKS!!!!
aggiedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
ktlm
DIS Veteran

We've done Akershus and CRT for lunch and the 1900 Park Fare dinner. I (and DD who has been at 2 yrs 10 mths and again at 3) put CRT and Akershus above 1900 Park Fare. In fact, DD doesn't even ask to go back to 1900, but she really wants to go back to both CRT and Akershus. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. The food at 1900 Park Fare was just okay; we had a long wait for a table (got there 30 minutes before our ADR time and didn't get seated until 45 minutes to an hour after our ADR time); the characters were fun, but it took a really long time for them to all get to our table and it was really loud in the restaurant and hard to hear what they were saying. From checking in to finish, we were there for a little over 3 hours. We had good character interaction at both CRT and Akershus. At CRT they give the girls a magic wand. DD gives Akershus the slight edge (I would give a slight edge to CRT because it's the castle), but that is just because Jasmine was at Akershus, and because we were one of the last lunch sittings at CRT and we got a clearly exhausted and therefore not very friendly Cinderella. The princesses upstairs at CRT definitely made up for it.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
PurpleSurfer
Mouseketeer

We have only done Akershus. We had the free disney dining plan and did not want to pony up the 2 extra credits for the CRT.

We were suprised that the Akershus meal included a gratis photo with Belle. We were given a large one 5x7? and 2 smaller ones included in the meal.

The main meal was very good and the appitizer buffet was fun to try. If you do this meal having your girls dressed up for the photo would be a good idea.
PurpleSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
2ndStar2theRT
Pixie Dust Pal

Spread out the Experiences

We've done 2 Princess experiences with our 5yrDD , each on different trips. Because you get to see and spend time with the characters, you may not want to dilute the experience with over exsposure (and risk ruining the believability).

We have done lunch at both MK castle and Askerhaus (EP). I prefered the atmosphere at MK much more. Not sure about breakfast, but at lunch you meet personally with Cinderella, have photo with her and almost every princess visits your table. Same goes for EP but picture was with Belle. I believe that at dinner you only meet Fairy Godmother.

Food is good at both but more traditional at MK AND they put on more of a magical "show" in the castle...they get a wishing wand and star and something magical happens!

So.. I would do the Castle if it's your DD 1st time..just check to see what characters are availalbe if your doing breakfast. (Go to allears.net -character meals)
2ndStar2theRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

I have not gone to CRT, but between Asherkus and 1900 Park Fare I would say that Asherkus is MUCH better. It's less hectic and noisy than 1900 Park Fare is (at least in my experience), and I felt that the character interaction is better as well. I thought that food at both restaurants was good, but I enjoyed the characters at Asherkus more (When I went, it was Ariel, Jasmine, Cinderella, Belle, and Alice).
everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
sss
Mouseketeer

CRT and Akershus

Hi,
My daughters are currently 7,7 (twins) and 4.5. We have done CRT on different trips now probably about a total of 3 times...all of them breakfasts except for one lunch...the lunch was terrible. ew. Breakfast was better. We also did Akershus for the first time last year at breakfast. Of the two, personally, my husband and I liked Akershus better. There was lower stress, better character interaction, and the physical facility was less cramped and crowded. I also think the whole establishment is managed better. There is no wish ceremony at Akershus which freaked out my youngest DD who is very sensitive to loud noises...That said, I think as the mom of a DD you should do CRT once. I will never forget when one of my twins was about 4 and met Cinderella for the first time...I've never seen her so excited, it was precious and hysterical all at the same time. The problem with CRT is it is a small space and gets crowded and overwhelming fast. They also try to get a crazy # of people up this narrow staircase....much like a real European staircase, lol. Anyway...I say do CRT this trip once for breakfast then stick with Akershus. I have never done 1900 Park Fair. Also, I felt the food at Akershus for breakfast was better than CRT. Less sugary stuff (cause what a kid needs at disney is MORe sugar, lol) and better choices for the grown ups and kiddos.
HTH
sss
sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

We've done CRT breakfast twice, dinner twice, Akershus breakfast and dinner once and 1900PF dinner twice in the last two years.

Although the character interaction at 1900PF is amazing I would personally never eat there again. The food was not warm, congealed (sp?) and both times we went a member of our party was ill approx 6 hours afterwards. That said I'm sure others will post positive feedback and the characters are amazing. Cinderella is a guarantee and visits the tables, Prince charming is also there (he was more charming on our first visit than our second) and the ugly step sisters and stepmother are HILARIOUS. Every hour Prince Charming sweeps Cinderella into a waltz in the centre of the room. BUT NEVER AGAIN WILL I EAT THERE i'm afraid.

CRT for us is a must. I personally prefer the characters at breakfast and the food at dinner, (thinking of lunch next trip as this appears to combine the two). This is the only Princess meal my son (now 11 and extremely embarassed by the whole princessey thing) would choose to go to. He loves the chance to eat in the castle irrespective of the Princesses. We like to alternate visits with one family photo and one photo of DD on her own with Cinderella. You only get a few minutes with Cinderella downstairs (perhaps seconds) they take your photo, she signs your books and next......... Upstairs at breakfast you meet another four princesses who visit your table (we have seen Snow White, Belle in blue, Sleeping Beuaty, Jasmine, Wendy Darling and Mary Poppins.) The breakfast food is a let down IMHO. The children get wands and swords and there is a fabulous little wishing ceremony with stars.

At dinner the food is much better but he mice and Fairy Godmother only whisk around the room - the mice stopping briefly at most tables for phots and they do a little show and announce celebrations.

Can't beat that my Lord and Lady thing though LOL.

Akershus is fantastic, we prefer the food at breakfast to dinner. We have had our photo with Belle in yellow and Sleeping Beauty. Breakfast we had Jasmine, Snow White, Mulan and Mary Poppins, dinner we had Jasmine, Snow White, Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland.

Love it at both CRT and Akershus, already planning our 2010 trip, DD has both on her 'must-do' list and DS has CRT on his!!!

Think we will go to Akershus for breakfast again (although DD wants to go for lunch as this seems to be the most likely time to see Ariel) and CRT for lunch.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character meal, princess

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: