Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
onelilspark
DIS Veteran
 
onelilspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 7,123

Quick Trip, Quick Fix, Quick Service! -Final Thoughts QSDP/Complete 8/25

My AP was about to expire...

I was having withdrawal symptoms...

I was dreaming (and drooling) thinking about my corn dog nuggets...

Oh what's a girl to do!!


...plan a short weekend getaway to WDW of course!

Welcome everyone to my "quick" everything trip! I just returned late last night from 3 action-and food-packed days at the 'World. Come with me as I explore the World at a dizzying speed!!

First...the cast!

There's me:

I'm 24 and while I'm pretty picky, I'll try most anything once. I'm a huge fan of pastas and breads. I'm Dr. Atkin's worst nightmare!!

And my little brother:

He's 21 and I'm pretty sure he's still growing...he eats a lot! He doesn't really dislike any foods either. Typical boy I suppose!

And the guest stars (featured on earlier episodes):

My Mom & Dad. My Dad's got a thing for cheese & pretzels. And coffee. My Mom doesn't like things that are too sweet.

The rest of the family lives in FL, I live in Rochester, NY...when they visit, they bring coats...even in the summer

On this trip, since my brother and I were staying on property, we added the Quick Service Dining Plan to our package. We both have AP's, but since I booked through the AP website, I was able to add it.

Here's where we'll be reviewing (and I'll add links as I review them!)

Starring Rolls
Chefs de France
Sunshine Seasons & drinks in the World Showcase
Columbia Harbor House
Siestas Bar
Pepper Market
Casey's
Rix Cafe

Yak & Yeti CS
Goofy's Candy Shop
Final Thoughts on the QSDP

Come along and join me as I eat around the world at a breakneck speed!!

Trip Report


Last edited by onelilspark; 08-26-2009 at 08:18 AM.
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
onelilspark
DIS Veteran
 
onelilspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 7,123

Starring Rolls Cafe

My flight out of Rochester Saturday morning was at 7am. By the time I got checked in and over to Hollywood Studios, it was close to 11:30 (really not too shabby considering my flight landed at 9:30 and my room was ready, so we checked in!) But the only Table Service meal I had planned was at 2:30. I was hungry, but not starving. However, it was hot and I didn't want to give myself a headache...what to do...what to do...

Use a snack!!

We were passing Starring Rolls, so we ducked in and checked out all the delicious offerings









My brother wasn't really hungry, but if you place food in front of him, the boy will eat it...so I persuaded him to split something with me.

We settled on a cinnamon roll:


Yum! It was much larger than the picture suggests, and perfect for a snack to hold us over for lunch.

It's well known that HS is lacking in the CS department, but I must say, these sandwiches looked excellent:


And I'm keeping it in my back pocket for an option for lunch in October! The only thing about Starring Rolls is that all the seating is outside. This weekend was hot! (It was August after all!) So it would have been quite lovely to eaten that roll in some A/C, but the umbrellas and shade were alright.

Overall, a pleasant start to our QSDP!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran
 
Pooh&OurHunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,141

Great start, can't wait to read more.
__________________
DS (6)DH Me

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 40,081

Wonderful start...I'm here for the duration.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran
 
butiflfeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: My happy place
Posts: 1,293

Those pastries look so yummy! Thanks for sharing your pics! I'll be back for more
__________________

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse
 
TigerKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Terrytown(New Orleans)LA
Posts: 39,621

Great start, I'm in!!!!!
__________________
TigerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
DisneyFaeriePrincess
Chocolate and Mickey, what else could be better.
 
DisneyFaeriePrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 889

Ok I am definitely not going to be able to read this while hungry. It all looks delicious so far!! I'm excited to see what you have to say about the quick service dp, it's what we have for our trip.
__________________
'95=Port Orleans '96=OKW '97=OKW '98=OKW in Jan. with Nonna and Grandma and OKW in summer '99=OKW and New Years trip '00=OKW '01=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a week at Boardwalk '02=My bandtrip to WDW in May(off property) and OKW in the summer '03=OKW in the summer and for New Years '04=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a day trip to Downtown Disney '05=OKW in the summer and AKL for New Years '06=My brother's bandtrip to WDW in May and OKW in the summer '07=OKW '08=OKW '09=Pop Century for DBF's first WDW trip'10=Disneyland with the family and Pop Century with DBF for my birthday '11=AKL and DCL for our honeymoon'12=Pop Century for my birthday our 1 year wedding anniversary '13=OKW with the whole family!! '13=OKW for Christmas decorations! '14=Pop for anniversary and birthday trip
Me DH Rajah


DisneyFaeriePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
Shenanigoat
I shall call him squishy. And he shall be mine. And he shall be my squishy.
 
Shenanigoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 786

Let the drooling commence in 3... 2... 1

Those sandwiches look huge and delish! I haven't been in Starring Rolls in years, because the giant line of guests baking in the sun always turns me off. It could also be because I'm always running past like mad to score a new TSM fastpass when my window opens and dont' have the time for lines.
__________________
Shenanigoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
catne
DIS Veteran
 
catne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 8,377

Pictures are making me hungry, and lunch is an hour off! But nice review start...loved those pics of Starring Rolls sandwiches (and they ARE quite good...we've had them several times. Also like that you have so many fresh bakery choices for dessert there instead of the usual choose from just two counter service pre-packaged desserts.


Glad to see you're going to review Yak & Yeti counter service...that's one place we're considering for September.
__________________
Cathy from Nebraska
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
onelilspark
DIS Veteran
 
onelilspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 7,123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
Great start, can't wait to read more.
Thanks for joining along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Wonderful start...I'm here for the duration.
Hope you're hungry then

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
Those pastries look so yummy! Thanks for sharing your pics! I'll be back for more
I think I could have eaten one of everything in there...but then I wouldn't have had lunch!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Great start, I'm in!!!!!
Welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFaeriePrincess View Post
Ok I am definitely not going to be able to read this while hungry. It all looks delicious so far!! I'm excited to see what you have to say about the quick service dp, it's what we have for our trip.
Since your trip is fast approaching (how exciting!) and I'm not going to get to my final thoughts before then, I'll sum it up for you: Loved the QSDP. How's that?? Seriously, we ate really well and it's still a lot of food!! The only thing is that since you're eating QS the whole time, you need to watch that you're not just having fried foods the whole time, but with how much Disney offers, there's so much there now for QS that you're not eating burgers and chicken nuggets the entire time! (Though you could...if you really wanted to!) Oh, and I had my iTouch with me. If you have that or the iPhone, there's a 99 cent app you can get that has all the menus at WDW. Really convenient. We'd sit down and check out the menus of the places close to us. It might not be 100% accurate, but it at least gives you an idea of what you can get at each place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigoat View Post
Let the drooling commence in 3... 2... 1

Those sandwiches look huge and delish! I haven't been in Starring Rolls in years, because the giant line of guests baking in the sun always turns me off. It could also be because I'm always running past like mad to score a new TSM fastpass when my window opens and dont' have the time for lines.
Haha, we were there at 11:30am and there was no one else in the place. It might have been because it was 190 degrees outside (according to my brother...fact) so no one wanted to sit outside? But I'd definitely keep it in mind instead of running out of the park for lunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
Pictures are making me hungry, and lunch is an hour off! But nice review start...loved those pics of Starring Rolls sandwiches (and they ARE quite good...we've had them several times. Also like that you have so many fresh bakery choices for dessert there instead of the usual choose from just two counter service pre-packaged desserts.


Glad to see you're going to review Yak & Yeti counter service...that's one place we're considering for September.
Oooo, good point on the desserts! I hadn't even thought about that!!

And since Y&Y is further down on my list of places, here's my review of it from February. We had different things on it this time, but it'll give you an idea!

Thanks for following along everyone!!!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
stace1214
Mouseketeer
 
stace1214's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 268

My absolute most favorite thing on my most recent trip was the cinnamon bun from Staring Rolls. Yum! My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Can't wait to read more!!
__________________
Me , DH , DS(4) , DD (1)
stace1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
DisneyFaeriePrincess
Chocolate and Mickey, what else could be better.
 
DisneyFaeriePrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dunmore, PA
Posts: 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Since your trip is fast approaching (how exciting!) and I'm not going to get to my final thoughts before then, I'll sum it up for you: Loved the QSDP. How's that?? Seriously, we ate really well and it's still a lot of food!! The only thing is that since you're eating QS the whole time, you need to watch that you're not just having fried foods the whole time, but with how much Disney offers, there's so much there now for QS that you're not eating burgers and chicken nuggets the entire time! (Though you could...if you really wanted to!) Oh, and I had my iTouch with me. If you have that or the iPhone, there's a 99 cent app you can get that has all the menus at WDW. Really convenient. We'd sit down and check out the menus of the places close to us. It might not be 100% accurate, but it at least gives you an idea of what you can get at each place.

Haha, I figured you wouldn't be done by the time I left but thank for that lovely summary!! Good to know!! I pretty much looked at the menus on allears and kinda figured out what we'd want to eat but of course that could change. I don't have an iphone but to be honest I've been there so many times I know which restaurants I like and pretty much what they're menu is!! I know, it's horrible!!
__________________
'95=Port Orleans '96=OKW '97=OKW '98=OKW in Jan. with Nonna and Grandma and OKW in summer '99=OKW and New Years trip '00=OKW '01=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a week at Boardwalk '02=My bandtrip to WDW in May(off property) and OKW in the summer '03=OKW in the summer and for New Years '04=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a day trip to Downtown Disney '05=OKW in the summer and AKL for New Years '06=My brother's bandtrip to WDW in May and OKW in the summer '07=OKW '08=OKW '09=Pop Century for DBF's first WDW trip'10=Disneyland with the family and Pop Century with DBF for my birthday '11=AKL and DCL for our honeymoon'12=Pop Century for my birthday our 1 year wedding anniversary '13=OKW with the whole family!! '13=OKW for Christmas decorations! '14=Pop for anniversary and birthday trip
Me DH Rajah


DisneyFaeriePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?
 
supersuperwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: neverland
Posts: 5,335

subscribing!

We are doing nothing but CS in 11 days...so tell me more!
__________________
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #14
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...
 
Halloweenqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 4,249

Count me in!
__________________
dh me ds 16 dd 15 ds 15 dd 14 dd 10
Halloweenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
onelilspark
DIS Veteran
 
onelilspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 7,123

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace1214 View Post
My absolute most favorite thing on my most recent trip was the cinnamon bun from Staring Rolls. Yum! My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Can't wait to read more!!
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFaeriePrincess View Post
Haha, I figured you wouldn't be done by the time I left but thank for that lovely summary!! Good to know!! I pretty much looked at the menus on allears and kinda figured out what we'd want to eat but of course that could change. I don't have an iphone but to be honest I've been there so many times I know which restaurants I like and pretty much what they're menu is!! I know, it's horrible!!
I knew most of the menus, it was helpful to hand the iPod to my brother and go, "I'm thinking of eating here, what do you think?" And he could say yay or nay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperwendy View Post
subscribing!

We are doing nothing but CS in 11 days...so tell me more!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
Count me in!
Hiya!

Onward: Next up...Chefs de France, our only sit down meal!
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick question about Mimi's mad hatter fan Disneyland (California) 12 08-04-2009 12:34 PM
Hey all, need some QUICK help with issues I'm having booking Chelmarie53 Disney Resorts 3 08-03-2009 08:27 PM
a quick question about upgrading surfergirl602 Disney Resorts 3 08-03-2009 04:12 PM
Quick update (and funny story) live from Disney World ImTooExcitedToSleep Creative DISigns 3 08-03-2009 11:46 AM
Need help on a quick project heatherbabydoll1 Creative DISigns 6 08-01-2009 06:14 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.