Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #151
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
How completely Providential that the last update you did involved Grandparents that were very dear to us, and in fact, had a LOT to do with our love of all things Disney. As you know, I have not been on the boards for a few weeks because my beloved Gramma passed away 3 weeks ago, resulting in an unexpected trip to the States.
My thoughts and prayers are still with you, hon.

Quote:
It was hard and painful, but I have so many amazing memories of her- incredibly many of which involve going to Disneyland. I wish I could have been there with you toasting Gramma along with you. Perhaps maroo and I can add a toast to her when we arrive next year. I think that'd be a poignant thing to do.
That would be a wonderful thing to do. It's very healing.

Quote:
Incidentally, while we were going through some of her things, I came across an AMAZING Disney relic of hers! I found a letter dated August, 1943 calling her in for an interview!!!! Can you believe it??!!! I've taken pix. and will do a post over on our PTR in a few days. It's on ancient Disney letterhead and everything! My love of Disney truly has bloodroots!!
Oh my goodness! That's amazing!!!! I would love to see pictures of it when you get a chance.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm playing TR catch up this week, and I fear it will take far more than that. Yikes! When I subbed to your reports, I truly wanted to be regular; I sure hope life will normalize now, and I can "visit" with you more often.

Liesa
You take your time, hon. I know it takes time for things to settle down.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #152
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

Oh great...I go away for 2 weeks, have no access to Internet during that time, and you toss out TWO updates...

But at least you haven't gotten too far yet....

I want to multi-quote all over the place here but I'm so tired and have soooo much other DISness to catch up on, that I'm just gonna say that the pictures of you two crack me up....there's Tink's adorable smiling face, and there's TK's blacked-out Mickey head!!!

And I'm waiting with such anticipation for this little TR to continue....

Oh, and no, I'm quite sure no one from Florida goes to New England and takes a deep breath and sighs "Ahhh, New England air...". Although I always did enjoy the smell of the ocean in Maine. It's different down here. Icy-cold water must just smell better.....

Register to remove

Old 07-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #153
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
Oh great...I go away for 2 weeks, have no access to Internet during that time, and you toss out TWO updates...

But at least you haven't gotten too far yet....
Well, dang it woman! Don't go away for so long.

In all seriousness, I missed you. I may have done a little happy dance when I saw your DIS name.

Quote:
I want to multi-quote all over the place here but I'm so tired and have soooo much other DISness to catch up on, that I'm just gonna say that the pictures of you two crack me up....there's Tink's adorable smiling face, and there's TK's blacked-out Mickey head!!!
Oh, you noticed the blacked-out Mickey head, did ya?

Quote:
And I'm waiting with such anticipation for this little TR to continue....
And I'm waiting for my dear Tink who is actually on a little bit of a vacay this week. I think the next chapter's hers.

Quote:
Oh, and no, I'm quite sure no one from Florida goes to New England and takes a deep breath and sighs "Ahhh, New England air...". Although I always did enjoy the smell of the ocean in Maine. It's different down here. Icy-cold water must just smell better.....

You're right on that one. Granted it was a while ago, but Florida beaches do not have that certain ocean smell like up here.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #154
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Okay, so you have made me decide that for my girls-only trip next year, we are totally staying at CBR! I love POR, but I need a change (the horror!)

Old 07-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #155
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Okay, so you have made me decide that for my girls-only trip next year, we are totally staying at CBR! I love POR, but I need a change (the horror!)
Reflecting upon it now, I don't think I've ever been at a resort that was that quiet. And I mean that in the best possible way. No interior corridors, but I rarely if ever heard neighbors coming and going. It was so peaceful.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #156
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
When last we left our daring duo, they were off in search of generous libations.

Preferrably containing rum.
Wait? You mean there is some other kind??? LOL

Quote:
Off to Old Port Royale we headed. I was in "let me take my time and soak it all in mode." Fortunately, Tink seems to operate in that mode on vacation in general. It's like an automatic switch with her. Let me just say right now, no matter what happened to us (ha ha ha) on this trip, that my dear Tink is a fantastic travel companion. She's go with the flow, but direct enough to express her own opinion. Quite frankly, we're a match made in heaven.
Awwwww. Thanks, my friend.
I operate under the rule that when on vacation ENJOY your vacation. Likely it was slightly expensive, a long time coming and much needed. I won't waste a single second. Vacation for me always starts on vacation eve. Especially a Disney vacation. I open the floodgates and let the pressures of real life start to pour out so that by the time I arrive I can absorb every nuance and not feel pressured by "real life" or feel like I might be missing out on something.

And not to be outdone, TK is an excellent traveling partner. Though I knew she wasn't used to doing Disney "my way" (a.k.a. sans the stroller/hubby/family set) she adapted in, oh, about 4.6 seconds and was a pleasure to spend 4 days with.

Quote:
Basically, we shopped. But only with our eyes.
Do you understand how difficult this is to do??? It's a skill. And TK is much better at it than I am.

Quote:
Something that screamed out to me. And said, BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME I WASMADEFORYOU!!!!!!!!!!!
No joke. I believe the sign above the hoodie said, "Place prominently so that TK will see and purchase me for I was made for her. And only her. In 4 sizes."

Quote:
I looked at Tink.

I looked at it.

I looked at Tink.

And I said, "Tink...I don't need another $50 hoodie."

And Tink said, "But you have to buy this. It was made for you."
I think what actually happened was we were browsing (again, hands and eyes only, no wallets...yet) and I rounded a stand that had some piratey merchandise. As I came around the backside of it, I saw a tee that I'd rued not getting on my Sept. trip (and ultimately didn't get on this trip either). I then spotted IT. THE hoodie that was made for TK in the same way my TINK hoodie was made for me. My eye was first drawn to it because it was pink. And my eyes are, at least initially, drawn to most things pink. (And that's all the detail you're getting on the hoodie for now.) And I eyed the front.
The sides.
When I turned it around, the deal was sealed, as they say. I said, "Hey Kat. You NEED this."
Then the exchange above took place.

And yes, I'm an enabler. Particularly when it comes to the PERFECT souvenir.

And any shoe-related purchase.

And NARS makeup.

AHEM.

Quote:
"But I can't buy another $50 hoodie." My resolve was weakening. Crumbling.
She said this to me no less than 5 times in those 4 days. Every time we discussed/saw said hoodie.

Will this hoodie story have a happy ending????

Quote:
Surprisingly, I really like this picture of me. I remember how happy and excited I was. Makes me happy now.

Quote:
Isn't she lovely?

Quote:
The Pina Colava.

By way of a little backstory, we'd been planning our first drink in the World for, oh, 4 months now? LOL Honestly. We had perused and considered all of the drinks we could find on the Barefoot Bar menu. We hemmed and hawed. We even pretended like we'd just have a beer. Pssht. We knew. We knew it would be fruity and girlie and rum-my and NOM! We were SO looking forward to this drink. We knew that whatever we had would be good. But we didn't realize it would be Pina Colada with a raspberry swirl and a pineapple garnish good.

Quote:
Actually, my first taste was a bit potent, because I hadn't mixed it thoroughly and let's just say that our gracious bartender was not only gracious but generous. Bless her.
We tipped her kindly.

Quote:
See, I was honored that Tink would stay at this particular resort with me. I don't know how many of you have read her trip / pre trip report from her Sept 08 trip, but if you haven't, let me tell you a little something about our dear girl. See, Tink had a grandmother who was very, very special to her. Who took her on trips to the World, and as a matter of fact, CBR was a place that they stayed together. If I remember correctly, it was the last place they stayed together, but I could be mistaken. Tink, correct me if I'm wrong. So, knowing that there could have been some emotions surfacing, I honestly felt honored that Tink would consider a stay here. I know I get a little misty when I walk past things at the World that remind me of my grandfather, never mind whether or not we stayed there together.
It was, in fact, the last place we stayed together. It was our last trip together and, little did I know then, that she would be gone about 6 months later.

I worried that I would have a hard time staying there again. Not so much that I wanted to consider another resort, but it was in the back of my mind. When we arrived it was familiar, but in a comforting way. I wasn't sad. On our first morning I took a good, long morning walk and visited the village where I'd stayed on that last trip. Found the pool we'd played at. The little courtyard we'd sat in, close to our room. Those moments were a little bittersweet...but I get ahead of myself here.

Back to the present.

Er. Past.

Um, fairly recent history.

Quote:
...and we toasted.

To her grandmother, and my grandfather. Who I know would both be very proud of us. And who, I entertained the notion, may have even been sharing a few laughs as well, just like we were.

It was a good toast. And a good way to start the trip.
It wasn't just good. It was perfect.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlenzendorf View Post
I also just turned 30... nothing has fallen off yet, I'm still waiting

There really should be a snortlaugh smiley at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
I always seem to find myself up north in Jan. The response is more like, "YIKES! Cold, dry northern air!"
I can usually make it through January but February is the worst - when it seems winter will NEVER end and everything is really just an icy, frigid mess.

::sigh::

Remind me again why I haven't moved somewhere warmer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Dude, they're pushing pins like crack! I was offered pins to celebrate something - ANYthing! - no less than 5 times over the long weekend.
"You found the Ladies Room?! Yay! Have a pin!"

"You made it a third of the way around the WS while getting only moderately wasted?! Yay! Have a pin!"

"You did not remove that lobster-colored infant with no hat or sunblock from their parents 'care' and run away screaming?! No pin for you. Come back 3 months."

That last one is an unfortunate Disney memory. Sometimes I think there is a common sense-based test you should have to pass before you procreate. But I digress...

Quote:
As you know, I have not been on the boards for a few weeks because my beloved Gramma passed away 3 weeks ago, resulting in an unexpected trip to the States.

Quote:
Incidentally, while we were going through some of her things, I came across an AMAZING Disney relic of hers! I found a letter dated August, 1943 calling her in for an interview!!!! Can you believe it??!!! I've taken pix. and will do a post over on our PTR in a few days. It's on ancient Disney letterhead and everything! My love of Disney truly has bloodroots!!
Wow! That's pretty amazing! And very special. And was meant for you to find.

Quote:
And I'm waiting for my dear Tink who is actually on a little bit of a vacay this week. I think the next chapter's hers.
Ahhhhh, yes. Vacation. That blessed event that removes you from the 9-5 scene. I've been sparse, I know, but my sanity needed it, believe me.

I only have to upload and resize some pics for the next chapter. Writing it should be easy. I've been looking forward to it. However, I can't promise it will happen before the holiday. We have some plans over the next few days and I'm not sure I can properly write the chapter in the time I have. If I can, believe me I'll get that baby up there. If not, it will be Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Quote:
Reflecting upon it now, I don't think I've ever been at a resort that was that quiet. And I mean that in the best possible way. No interior corridors, but I rarely if ever heard neighbors coming and going. It was so peaceful.
No kidding. I think part of it was the location of the room (I'll share that in the next chapter) but honestly, the resort itself is just sooooooo low-key. I know that my morning walks are taken early enough that ANY resort (even POP!) would be quiet, but no matter what time of the day we were returning to the room it was to a sense of peace.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #157
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
Do you understand how difficult this is to do??? It's a skill. And TK is much better at it than I am.
Ha! Years of practice.

Quote:
No joke. I believe the sign above the hoodie said, "Place prominently so that TK will see and purchase me for I was made for her. And only her. In 4 sizes."

I think what actually happened was we were browsing (again, hands and eyes only, no wallets...yet) and I rounded a stand that had some piratey merchandise. As I came around the backside of it, I saw a tee that I'd rued not getting on my Sept. trip (and ultimately didn't get on this trip either). I then spotted IT. THE hoodie that was made for TK in the same way my TINK hoodie was made for me. My eye was first drawn to it because it was pink. And my eyes are, at least initially, drawn to most things pink. (And that's all the detail you're getting on the hoodie for now.) And I eyed the front.
The sides.
When I turned it around, the deal was sealed, as they say. I said, "Hey Kat. You NEED this."
Then the exchange above took place.

And yes, I'm an enabler. Particularly when it comes to the PERFECT souvenir.

And any shoe-related purchase.

And NARS makeup.

AHEM.

Quote:
She said this to me no less than 5 times in those 4 days. Every time we discussed/saw said hoodie.

Will this hoodie story have a happy ending????
I don't even want to talk about how much I talked about that hoodie.

Quote:
[COLOR="magenta"]It was, in fact, the last place we stayed together. It was our last trip together and, little did I know then, that she would be gone about 6 months later.
I thought so. I wanted to be sensitive to that, I hope I was.

Quote:
I worried that I would have a hard time staying there again. Not so much that I wanted to consider another resort, but it was in the back of my mind. When we arrived it was familiar, but in a comforting way. I wasn't sad. On our first morning I took a good, long morning walk and visited the village where I'd stayed on that last trip. Found the pool we'd played at. The little courtyard we'd sat in, close to our room. Those moments were a little bittersweet...but I get ahead of myself here.
You know, after you sent me your photos via cd, I saw those pics, and said to DH, this must be the last place Tink stayed with her grandmother. I'm glad you got to do that, hon.

Quote:
No kidding. I think part of it was the location of the room (I'll share that in the next chapter) but honestly, the resort itself is just sooooooo low-key. I know that my morning walks are taken early enough that ANY resort (even POP!) would be quiet, but no matter what time of the day we were returning to the room it was to a sense of peace.
Just to clarify, you're taking the room arrival and dinner, right?
Old 07-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #158
PaMom001
Used to be good at dodging
You have piqued my interest and I'm heading over

I got a pic of 2 today.....I'll post them when I get home.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #160
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMom001 View Post
I got a pic of 2 today.....I'll post them when I get home.
yum! (and I was not referring to the popcorn)

And, TK...

Your next post is your 7000TH post... so make it a good one!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #161
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
yum! (and I was not referring to the popcorn)

And, TK...

Your next post is your 7000TH post... so make it a good one!!!

I took your advice to heart, my dear. It's on my PTR.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #162
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Okay, this is going to sound completely random now and nuts, but Tink I just love the bag you have in this pic...

Quote:
Is that a Coach wristlet? I think I need one. These stupid boards are just way too enabling even when they aren't intending to be.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #163
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I'm in tears...what a beautiful way to start your trip.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 07-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #164
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
Okay, this is going to sound completely random now and nuts, but Tink I just love the bag you have in this pic...

Is that a Coach wristlet? I think I need one. These stupid boards are just way too enabling even when they aren't intending to be.
I know Tink should be getting on soon, but I didn't want to ignore you. That is her Coach wristlet, and she loves it. It's a great little organizer, I have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I'm in tears...what a beautiful way to start your trip.
Aw. I'm glad you're enjoying our sentimentalness. Is that is, in fact, a word. If not, I make it up as I go along.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #165
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know Tink should be getting on soon, but I didn't want to ignore you. That is her Coach wristlet, and she loves it. It's a great little organizer, I have to say.
I guessed she was busy. I'm such a fan of small bags. The majority of my family and friends think I'm nuts. I just could never get into carrying around a big huge tote bag.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: