Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
wdwgirl100
Mouseketeer

Is Pop Warner really that bad?

I am booked at ASMu for Dec.2 -8, should I try to switch to a moderate to have any peace and quiet? I don't want to be awakened by cheerleaders!
wdwgirl100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
MizzouDisney
Earning My Ears

Honestly, the only time I was there during Pop Warner was when I worked at WDW for my internship. My friends and I took the opportunity of huge cast member discounts at the time and spent the weekend at the Pop Century. While I wouldn't call the atmosphere RELAXING I was never woke up an earlier than I wanted to be. When we saw the masses of teenagers in the food court it was a bit crazy because lets just be honest hundreds of teens in one confined space is never going to be quiet but unless you plan on spending a lot of time at the hotel I don't consider it much of a bother! However if you have small children who you plan on enjoying the pool, food court, etc with you might consider a switch just because teens and small children in areas like that don't always mix. We saw 95% of the teens as extremely well behaved and polite but we also saw a few who shoved past small children or were playing a little extra rough in the pool near littler kids. Again they weren't a bother to us as were were 21 years old at the time and just blew it all off but it might be bothersome to families!
Christmas 2007-Pop (first trip without the parents!)
Sept/Oct 2008-AKL-Me, DM, DNama F&W Fest
July/August 2009-BW Surprise trip from BF now DF...came home with a surprise of our own EDD April 20, 2010
Sept 2009-Pop/Poly-First friends and me trip...just the girls!!!
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6mjxzqa3oqa7x8.png[/img]
MizzouDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

You are going to get mixed answers on this, but I personally wouldn't chance it. A year or two ago, Pop got asked to leave because a fight broke out amongst the kids.

We stayed at CBR one year during a cheerleading competition and while we couldn't hear them from our rooms, anytime we stepped out we could hear them practicing their cheers on the lawns. They, and their chaparones, were also quite obnoxious on the buses and in the food courts.

Just bear in mind that the walls in most of the mods are quite thin so if you are sensitive to noise, you may not want to chance it.

I think there is one value where Pop Warner does NOT stay-Pop Century maybe? You might consider switching to there.

Good luck!

I've heard that you do not even notice them in the parks.

aristocatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I stayed in the allstars with PW a couple of times...Yes it was loud and they were present everywhere.It didn't really bother me all that much at the time.But that was BEFORE I had kids.Now I wouldn't want to deal with the noise .
Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Mick&Minn
Mouseketeer

No way, get as far away as you can
Wilderness Lodge, PORF, AKL, POP Century
Once to Disneyland Howard Johnson
Once on the Disney Magic AOA Little Mermaid
Mick&Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
wdwnomad
DIS Veteran

I was at Music last year for Pop Warner. The kids were fine. I never awoken by cheerleaders practicing. Now some of them liked to cheer in the bus line but it was every once in a while. I didn't have a problem with them there.
All Star Sports - Sept 2008
All Star Music - Dec 2008, Dec 2009
Coronado Springs - Aug 2009, Aug 2011
Port Orleans - Riverside - Aug 2010
Beach Club - Dec 2010, Dec 2013
Boardwalk - Aug 2012
Old Key West - Aug 2014

wdwnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Back in '03, I was at ASMusic at the same time the PW kids were there. The food court was very busy at meal-times, so I ate at off times. The buses were a bit more crowded in the late afternoon/early evening during the week and in the morning on that Sat. During the weekdays, the kids are at their competitions, so not much impact on the parks. At night they come out, and you will see groups of kids in the parks. I really didn't have much issue with them
I have been to WDW, in early Dec, at the same time as the PW kids, about 4 times now. They have never negatively impacted my stays. But, other than that one stay at Music, my stays have been at resorts the PW kids don't stay at.
Will they be an issue at Music while you are there? No one can say for sure. You may be lucky, like I was, and have nicely behaved kids staying there. I really doubt that the issue from last year (that fight) is a common occurance.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

We stayed at the CBR two years in a row when the PW kids were there (overflow from the values) and at night they were hanging around the buildings practicing and stuff but the rooms were quiet at night.

In the early am the food court was loaded with kids, super loud and long lines and they didnt clean up after themselves, just left the rubbish on the tables.

At the parks we really didnt notice them that much..a few here and there but not in mass crowds or anything.
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
db99
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick&Minn View Post
I agree, sorry to say.
October 2006 - POP
October 2007 - Poly!
December 2008 - POP
April 2009 - POP
November 2009 - CBR
October 2010 - 10th Anniversary Trip & First Trip as DVC Members - BLT
May 2011 - AKV
December 2011 - BLT
October 2012 - BLT
db99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick&Minn View Post
I agree as well. You couldn't pay us enough to stay at a resort while POP is there.

I don't blame the kids, we were all that age once. It's the 'chaperone's'. (and I use the term loosely) that are the problem.

They let the kids run wild, and do mostly whatever they want.

No one seems to care or realize that there are OTHER guests at the resort as well, many of which have scrimped and saved for a long time just to be at Disney with their families.

The loud cheer leading practices that start at sunrise are nothing short of totally obnoxious.

Shame on them.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
kelldawn
Mouseketeer

They only stay at Sports and now at POR of maybe it is CBR this year. They do stay at Mods as well we have gone 2 years in a row and they are never a trouble at Music. Not even visable never even seen them at the pool. So do not stay away because of them. really that isn't fair to say as they stay mostly Sports. Never even shared buses with them at all. We were there 9 days both times during their entire stay..
POP Jan 20-29 2012
kelldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_me View Post
I agree as well. You couldn't pay us enough to stay at a resort while POP is there.

I don't blame the kids, we were all that age once. It's the 'chaperone's'. (and I use the term loosely) that are the problem.

They let the kids run wild, and do mostly whatever they want.

No one seems to care or realize that there are OTHER guests at the resort as well, many of which have scrimped and saved for a long time just to be at Disney with their families.
I totally agree with you. My youngest son used to play for Pop Warner and also the Bill George Football League. We traveled often (although we never got to Florida) and we were always very well aware of where the kids were, how they were behaving, etc. We acted responsibly so the kids would. We would see other teams that did not respect other people around them.

Unfortunately, Pop Warner has gotten a bad rap because of a few. People tend to forget that kids are just that "KIDS". And they all have a lot of excess energy and don't just sit and fold their hands and sit quietly. However, there is no excuse for the chaperones not to keep them from destroying property, bothering other guests, being excessively loud or rude.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

We stayed at All-Star Movies about 5 years ago when the Pop Warner kids were there and I have to agree with almost every poster- change resorts. We are staying at a Deluxe this year for partially this reason.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldawn View Post
They only stay at Sports and now at POR of maybe it is CBR this year. They do stay at Mods as well we have gone 2 years in a row and they are never a trouble at Music. Not even visable never even seen them at the pool. So do not stay away because of them. really that isn't fair to say as they stay mostly Sports. Never even shared buses with them at all. We were there 9 days both times during their entire stay..
This year it is the Allstars and CSR
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_me View Post
The loud cheer leading practices that start at sunrise are nothing short of totally obnoxious.

ITA. DS and I were at ASMo one February while some cheerleading competition thing was going on, and never would be around any of that again. A bunch of preteen/teen girls loudly cheering on a bus at 7am make you want to take a hostage. Never again!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: