Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #3676
DreaGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Of course it isn't, but realistically if they had to pay, say $10 million, and that would involve selling the house and emptying their savings, then what? They live on the street with the kids? A 3 bedroom apartment? They would still have eight children to feed, cloth and shelter at the bare minimum.

I do not believe Kate wants to end the show, but it is entirely possible that even if she did the contract might make it virtually impossible.
I can see I'm alone in this, but I would rather live in a little cramped apartment and know that my kids are being taken care of emotionally than live in a mansion that is all a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
I think their marketability will quickly become only slightly better than Michael Jackson's after it became known that be liked to cuddle boys to sleep.

I also wonder how the people at Crooked Houses feel about being associated with J&K's marital implosion!
Where have you been? You are cracking me up tonight.

Drea, DH, DD 6 y.o., DS 4 y.o.

October 2007-POFQ,May 2008- Wilderness Lodge,November 2008 - Free Dining @ POP,October 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort, May 2010 - Pop Century, November/December 2010 - CBR,, Leap Year Trip!-POP!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #3677
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post
agreed. and other than the big announcement shows, the ratings were declining already.

I wonder if attractions, resorts, companies, etc. will still contact TLC to continue offering things for product placement on the show.
With 60% of Americans divorced and a large population of single moms? Sure. I think you might see different placements, but they will still be there. The focus may be different, and you may see things like 'The Maids' for Kate, and Dial a Date for Jon, but they will still be there. As well, I think you will see things meant to brighten the kids lives, such as parks and resorts.

If Jon and Kate have been arguing for a long time, this time out may be better for the kids. There are a lot of divorced parents on the Dis, and I've yet to hear one of them say, I wish I had stayed with my husband (or wife) and just duked it out..it's so much better for the kids.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #3678
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
I think their marketability will quickly become only slightly better than Michael Jackson's after it became known that be liked to cuddle boys to sleep.
I hardly think this is the same. It isn't illegal to divorce, almost 60% of Americans do that. It is illegal to cuddle boys to sleep, in the inference you are using that.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 PM   #3679
DreaGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
With 60% of Americans divorced and a large population of single moms? Sure. I think you might see different placements, but they will still be there. The focus may be different, and you may see things like 'The Maids' for Kate, and Dial a Date for Jon, but they will still be there. As well, I think you will see things meant to brighten the kids lives, such as parks and resorts.

If Jon and Kate have been arguing for a long time, this time out may be better for the kids. There are a lot of divorced parents on the Dis, and I've yet to hear one of them say, I wish I had stayed with my husband (or wife) and just duked it out..it's so much better for the kids.
Kate is not your typical single Mom. She doesn't go to a 9-5 job, struggle to pay daycare, come home exhausted to no help, do it all alone, but still enjoy her children. I think it will be a slap in the face to single Moms out there that are struggling to hear of her "struggles" with cooks, house cleaners, drivers, bodyguards, nannies, etc., etc.

October 2007-POFQ,May 2008- Wilderness Lodge,November 2008 - Free Dining @ POP,October 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort, May 2010 - Pop Century, November/December 2010 - CBR,, Leap Year Trip!-POP!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #3680
DreaGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
I hardly think this is the same. It isn't illegal to divorce, almost 60% of Americans do that. It is illegal to cuddle boys to sleep, in the inference you are using that.
I'm pretty sure he meant that tongue-in-cheek.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #3681
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
IF they were really doing that show for the future financial security of their children, they would have split the money into tenths; Jon and Kate would take 1/5 of it for the household income (house, cars, gas, food, etc, if they pay for any of those things) and a remaining money should have been split 8 ways with each of the kids getting an amount set aside in a trust fund. :
We have no idea if they did or didn't do, just what you laid out. The kids may have huge trust funds.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #3682
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
but they will be farces.
like the "Mother's Day" brunch at the end of the show? I just read where they claimed to have gone out to lunch on Mother's Day and how rainy the weather was .. well. it wasn't. that was the weekend of the kids b'day and when Kate went tanning.
http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/05...n-mothers-day/

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #3683
Starbrite
DIS'ing since 2004........... Didn't like my old name ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaGirl View Post
Kate is not your typical single Mom. She doesn't go to a 9-5 job, struggle to pay daycare, come home exhausted to no help, do it all alone, but still enjoy her children. I think it will be a slap in the face to single Moms out there that are struggling to hear of her "struggles" with cooks, house cleaners, drivers, bodyguards, nannies, etc., etc.
As a single mom....If they continue shooting, I'll watch. Her financial & household struggles may be different than mine, but she is still "alone". She has no significant other to share special moments with. Believe me, I'd rather spend them alone than with my Ex-H but it's still sad. She will have many of the same emotional struggles that I had.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #3684
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
Regardless, she would be a single mom.

I assume she will have other struggles, just like single moms. Not neccesarily poor single mom's, but I assume there is a lot more to spending an evening by yourself, and not having dad to share the days triumph's with as well as the problems with the kids.
I have friends that are single mom's with wonderful, executive jobs. but they are still single mom's with struggles.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #3685
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Quote:
like the "Mother's Day" brunch at the end of the show? I just read where they claimed to have gone out to lunch on Mother's Day and how rainy the weather was .. well. it wasn't. that was the weekend of the kids b'day and when Kate went tanning.
http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/05...n-mothers-day/
I didnt' hear them say it was a Mother's Day brunch. Jon did say they were going to a fancy dress up brunch but I don't recall it being Mother's Day?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #3686
Magical JenK
DIS Veteran

I didn't read all of this thread (yet LOL), but here's my stand on this whole thing...

If you have to announce that you have a "special announcement" that's just a ratings ploy. They could have, announced the divorce separately & perhaps did their interviews on it on the show, but to have TLC advertise that a special announcement is coming? That's sick. It's a divorce not a new motorcycle. It's a major, should be personal, situation & they've (either TLC or J&K) have pimped them out for the whole world to see.

Money/the show totally changed them both, period. Sure it allowed Jon to stay home w/his kids & that's great, but their marriage suffered. I just find it sad that in one People magazine interview she said that she'd do the show because she needed to for the public/fans. Ah no...you NEED to do what's best for your family, not your pocket book & I think that has long since been forgotten.
Off site September 1983 Off site February 1993 Caribbean Beach April 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter September 2005 Port Orleans French Quarter September 2006 Coronado Springs Resort September 2007Coronado Springs Resort April 2008Saratoga Springs Resort October 2008Coronado Springs Resort December 2008Polynesian Resort September 2009Contemporary Resort/Tree House Villas October 2009 Polynesian Resort September 2011Polynesian Resort September 2012
Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #3687
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
I can see I'm alone in this, but I would rather live in a little cramped apartment and know that my kids are being taken care of emotionally than live in a mansion that is all a lie.
I understand what you are saying. My question is, what if the fine is more than they have? What if they are staying in this, because they don't have the money to buy out of it? You talk about a cramped little apartment. I'm talking about having zero. I would love to know what the buy out figure is..and then I would be happy to judge her, based on knowing that figure. Some of these contracts have very high buy outs. The point is, to make sure the person in the contract doesn't leave the show.

I do think if they want out, then TLC should let them out, but I haven't heard them annouce they will.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #3688
blissventure
Thinks oeufs ā la neige is the best dessert that was ever invented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Ann View Post
It doesn't matter "who" was the "most" wrong - or who was the "most" right..

There's is absolutely no reason (other than money) for them to air their dirty laundry and announce their pending divorce on tv - knowing full well what kind of impact this will have on their children - both now and in the future.. It was totally disgusting and irresponsible on both of their parts..

Or maybe this is a new "trend".. Video tape the discussion and announcement of your divorce, have it televised, and save that "happy childhood memory" on DVD for your children to enjoy over and over and over again..

Yeah.. That's it..
This is exactly the reason I was enjoying the college world series tonight. (Go LSU Tigers!!!) I was not going to watch any more of the train wreck. Both Kate and Jon have responsibility for what has finally come to pass. So sad that the decision was to hop right to divorce, rather than take a year or more and work hard at family therapy. I hope someone clues them both in that they are going to be working closely together for probably the next 20+ years. They still need to work out their "issues".
Those poor kids.
I can only hope someone at TLC has a heart for the 8 children and pulls the plug on the cameras. Those children don't owe us their pain. We have no need to see one minute of what they will be going through.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #3689
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
I didnt' hear them say it was a Mother's Day brunch. Jon did say they were going to a fancy dress up brunch but I don't recall it being Mother's Day?

only going by what I read... hopefully someone else who watched will know .. LOL

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #3690
Magical JenK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
only going by what I read... hopefully someone else who watched will know .. LOL
Kate mentions it when the kids are getting ready at the door. She says it was Mother's Day & then goes into how she'll always spend every holiday with the kids....or something along those lines.
Off site September 1983 Off site February 1993 Caribbean Beach April 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter September 2005 Port Orleans French Quarter September 2006 Coronado Springs Resort September 2007Coronado Springs Resort April 2008Saratoga Springs Resort October 2008Coronado Springs Resort December 2008Polynesian Resort September 2009Contemporary Resort/Tree House Villas October 2009 Polynesian Resort September 2011Polynesian Resort September 2012
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: