DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
dgaston
Proudly wears a "Believes in Fairies" t-shirt

DVCMike: Great thoughtful post

duffy: (that was our son's imaginary friend btw) A lock-off is a room that can be split into a 1 br and a studio with connecting doors; each area has an entry door into the room. A dedicated 2 bedroom consists of a master bedroom and another bedroom with either 2 Qs or a single Q and a pullout sofa depending on the resort. There is only one entry door.

HTH
Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
duffy
The Tag Fairy did not give me this tag...I wrote it myself.

Thanks!
duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #18
RLRDA
Go Sox!! Go Pats!!

Too bad the DIS couldn't make this a "sticky" (is that what it's called?) so that it's always on the top of the first page for easy reference. I think it hits the nail right on the head, DVC Mike.

The DVC DISboards are really invaluable to potential members who want answers to their questions from people who've "been there, done that".

Aug'14 VB & OKW~Aug'13 SSR~Aug'12 BCV, Dream, AKV/CL~Aug'11 THV~Aug'10 OKW~Aug'09 AKV/CL & BLT~Oct'08 BWV~May'08 BCV~Aug'07 SSR & AKV ~Oct'05 BWV~May'04 WL~May'02 POR ~Nov'98 GF
RLRDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

This is great! I'd like an add-on at BLT. But after comparing point charts for the times we travel, we'd get 1 more night at our home resort, AKV than BLT and that's worth much more to us than the lower MFs. That makes sense, right?
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #20
circhead
Mouseketeer

DVC Mike - Thanks for the info. I am hoping to be able to add on in the next year or two and will refer to your well organized "How to" when doing it.

It raises all the questions my head has but my heart always rules where Disney is concerned.
circhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
Muhlenberg
Clues! We want clues!
It's a small world after all It's a small world after all...
E / E
Tushy imprinting chair here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Add "Sentimental Reasons" - some people feel a strong attachment to the resort they spent their honeymoon at - or the one they first took the kids to.

My adivice is to make a matrix of all the attributes and rank them - zero to ten - ten being most important to you - zero being the things you can't understand why anyone would care about. Then score each resort against the attribute - and this is completely subjective for a lot of these attributes. Then multiply the weight by the score, add them up - and the highest ranking resort is "home" - unless you look at the result and say "darn it - I was hoping for VAKL" - in which case you have learned where your heart lies.
This is a good idea as well.

I THOUGHT we'd want to buy-in at BLT. We bought last August, and BLT wasn't for sale yet, so we bought at AKV. Although I wasn't "in love" with AKV, I'm very glad we did. At the time it saved us about $2,000 since the price was raised for BLT and they didn't have the incentives at the time. We've already had a 2BR stay at SSR, and my DD also had a studio stay at SSR. AKV is growing on me, style-wise...the more I see, the more I like. So while I THOUGHT my heart was at BLT, it's not anymore.

Your likes/dislikes may change over the years...what's important now, may not be so important in 10 or 20 years...life changes.

All the resorts are different, and I'm finding that I like many of them...so far! I guess we fall into the category...buy where you don't mind staying...since we don't really care where we stay (at least for the time being).

Next dream unknown...

CR 6/97 6/00 8/06 1/07 CBR 8/07 CR 1/08 BWV 8/08 SSR 1/09 AKV-K 9/09
BLT 2/10 THV 8/10 BWV 1/11 AKV-K 4/12 OKW 12/12 SSR 12/13

Muhlenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
All my contracts have the same UY.
You can request your UY at the time of purchase?

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO View Post
You can request your UY at the time of purchase?
Yes, when you buy from Disney.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #24
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimect View Post
Yes, when you buy from Disney.
I just bought @ BLT and was told the UY is Feb. I would rather have Aug. Is it possible to switch?

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #25
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

"Keep in mind that if you have more than one home resort, all vacation points being used to make a reservation during the Home Resort Priority Period must be associated with that home resort. That is, you cannot combine points from multiple resorts to book one resort during the Home Resort Priority Period. You may combine all the points you have at all your home resorts and book any DVC resort only at the 7-month window."

Thank you for telling me this. That just helped me make up my mind to stay w/all my points @ BLT.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #26
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTtinkerbell View Post
I just bought @ BLT and was told the UY is Feb. I would rather have Aug. Is it possible to switch?
If you haven't signed the contracts or are still in your period to recind the purchase then yes, you should tell your guide that you would like August. If you have closed on the purchase then you will not be able to have the contract rewritten and Disney cannot change the UY.

KAT4DISNEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #27
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
If you haven't signed the contracts or are still in your period to recind the purchase then yes, you should tell your guide that you would like August. If you have closed on the purchase then you will not be able to have the contract rewritten and Disney cannot change the UY.
No I have not signed yet, I just received my paperwork today. We usually got to WDW in July, so that is why I am thinking of changing my UY. Right now my UY is Feb. I need to learn more about UY to help me decide the right thing to do.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #28
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

Quote:
No I have not signed yet, I just received my paperwork today. We usually got to WDW in July, so that is why I am thinking of changing my UY. Right now my UY is Feb. I need to learn more about UY to help me decide the right thing to do.
Then yes, you will be able to change. Just call your guide and they will send out new paperwork.

HOWEVER - if you travel usually travel in July then August is the last UY that you would want!!!!! For UY you want to have one that will allow you to cancel a reservation and still be able to bank your points if necessary.

If you travel in July then a June or July UY will be best. February will even work out ok b/c you would have until Sept 30th to bank your points.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #29
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
Then yes, you will be able to change. Just call your guide and they will send out new paperwork.

HOWEVER - if you travel usually travel in July then August is the last UY that you would want!!!!! For UY you want to have one that will allow you to cancel a reservation and still be able to bank your points if necessary.

If you travel in July then a June or July UY will be best. February will even work out ok b/c you would have until Sept 30th to bank your points.
Thank you so much for the info. I have been trying to figure out the UY pros & cons. I will probably leave it at Feb.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #30
KAT4DISNEY
1st trip Disneyland 1969

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info. I have been trying to figure out the UY pros & cons. I will probably leave it at Feb.
Your welcome!

The UY you choose will really have an affect only in the instance that you need to cancel a reservation. A Dec (July 31 banking), Feb (Sept 30 banking), Mar (Oct 31 banking), Apr (Nov 30 banking), Jun (Jan 31 banking) or July (Feb 28th banking) UY would work out for you since the banking deadlines are currently 8 months after the start of your UY.

The other thing you might want to think about is if there are any other times you might decide to travel to WDW. Travel habits can change but I do think that a person should get a UY that they expect to be best for unexpected situations.

Just to try and help your understanding if you purchased an August UY but had a July ressie that you needed to cancel after March 31st then you would be unable to bank your points (b/c Aug has a March 31st banking deadling) and since August UY points expire on July 31st you might have anywhere from 4 months to only a few days to try and use your expiring points.

Personally - If I thought I would always travel in July for many years I would go ahead and switch my contract from Feb to either June or possibly July.

Our main UY is Oct b/c we like to travel in the fall, Dec and Spring. The 8 month banking window spans all of those timeframes so we have maximum flexibility should we ever need to cancel a reservation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: