Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #76
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Well, we'd had that meal at RFC and we were pretty tired. E was too but he was refusing to admit it. We had called the hotel from RFC and got our room number, so that made us happy. We walked to the hotel, and went through the pool-facing doors of the Dreams tower (the one facing DTD, also the one with the concierge lounge). Didn't realize the trick of the concierge glass elevator yet, and we didn't figure that out until AFTER we realized there were doors on the DTD side of the building! AND we didn't realize there was a ramp until maybe Wednesday, and just clunked the stroller up the 3 steps. We're slow on the uptake!

Caught E in motion, doing what he would do almost exclusively while in the room. Going back and forth from bed to bed. He also liked to stand with one leg on one bedframe, other leg on the other bed's frame. Repeatedly. I couldn't get on his case too much...I remember all too well doing the same exact thing as a kid at home! It did get exhausting though, to watch at least.

Carnation...it was a bit droopy, and it disappeared the next day. Then it reappeared (well, a new one appeared) on Thursday, so I guess it's an every 3 nights thing? Glad that we now have matching/coordinating shampoo etc containers to the PPH ones. Though I still can't tell if it's the products or the Anaheim water that I think stinks so so much. I try not to use the products, but the bottles are cute.

At last, we all slept. I, of course, woke first, since I am not a natural born napper. I was getting all twitchy about "missing everything, sleeping all week, being left out" and all the rest of the stuff that has caused me to be a nightowl since I was brand new... E absolutely refused to wake up, but I dragged Robert out of bed and we went up to check out the e-ticket lounge.

Oh it was lovely! We had the nicest concierge lady named Natalie, we could write sonnets about her. She was just wonderful. She has a nervous smile, but she is pretty much the most genuinely nice person on the planet. I made an official thanks about her at the end of our stay, and also thanked the other staff who let her be herself and talk to guests that want to talk with her.

So we were talking just about everything under the sun, including how she grew up with missionary parents, and how strange it is to come back to the States when you aren't aware of current US stuff...hubby went to a missionary boarding school in Taiwan for 2 years and had the same experience...she wrote some wonderful quote on a napkin for us... She urged us to try a cheese we'd avoided (they have cheese and bread, fruit, salsa and tortilla chips...they generally, around that 5pm hour, had some hot appetizer out but it was always meat-based so we obviously avoided it) and it was just delicious. We talked about health, and Robert brought up how cinnamon has helped his blood sugar problems, and she excused herself, then came back with a coffee cup full of cinnamon sticks for us to have! Then showed us a wake-up, clear-your-sinuses, trick with a peppermint tea bag...we just loved her. I also had a glass of some sort of yummy wine...ahhhh.....

E slept in his stroller (how that was comfy we'll never know, as it's just a Volo and his head hangs back) the whole time.

Finally we left the lounge, and walked around the grounds. The koi were relatively elusive at that hour, but the waterfall noise woke up Boy-o just in time to see the RC boats!

RC boats were awesome! I didn't even "play" with them, but just the concept was wonderful, and E loved them.

They have a machine right there to get the tokens.

If you buy one "round" it's $2. If you want 4 rounds, put in a $5 (so it's 4 for $5 instead of $8). If you know you'll love it and have a $10 on you, you get 10 rounds for $10! I went for the $5, but we realized quickly we should have done the $10, it was that much fun. We did ultimately stick to the 4 times, though...2 that evening and 2 on our very last hour at the hotel.

If someone has no idea what I'm talking about, there's the above-pictured small body of water, with small remote controlled boats. The wheel E is turning controls a certain boat, and you steer it around. If you go under one thing, it makes a thunderstorm effect. Another thing causes a rope bridge to tremble as though there's an earthquake. And by doing something else, you cause a fire on a fixed boat, that is put out by a water hose from another structure. Wild!

The boats and the wheels have numbers, so you just choose a wheel then find your boat, or choose a boat then find the matching wheel. E liked this one.

Rope bridge with dude and gorilla.

After the 2 turns with the boat, we wandered into DCA. Robert always insisted on going through the Grand Cal, saying it saved time, and he's probably right, but I don't know. I never quite managed to put a pedometer on.

I do know that I actually really enjoy being in the Grand Cal when that huge, light-sucking xmas tree is gone! I love all the rest of the Disneyland Resort with the yuletime decorations, but I cannot be in the Grand for more than a minute, it's just too dark and I feel that I'm going blind. Stupid Lasik....

Anyway, we went into DCA, and with time running short, we went straight to TSMM. Waited in a 40 minute line and as usual, it was absolutely worth it.

I have to say, though...I sure do hope they are going to change out those handles for the pull strings...YUCK! You can tell that most people hold it with their left hand and pull the string with their right, as the left hand side of the handle/wheel is disintegrating, mushy, and downright nasty. I hope that the person that thought of using that material for them has been talked to sternly, and I hope that they bring in some nice, shiny plastic wheel/handles soon, b/c it's just getting gross. Hasn't even been open a year, either! Sad.

ETA...

While waiting in line, we noticed the Fun Wheel. No one mentioned how *pretty* it is! I'm still not totally sure of the whole mickey head thing, but the colors on it are really lovely, and at night it's gorgeous!

From there, we went right back to the hotel, snagged the movie Beverly Hills Chihuahua from the e-ticket lounge (a perk of that level is that you can check out 2 movies at a time to watch in your DVD player), and watched it. I did it for E, b/c he really wanted to see it...but it was a FUNNY movie!!! We all laughed out loud through the whole movie, it was that funny and cute.

Here was our nighttime pool view.

After that we all pretty much passed out.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-01-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: forgot some pictures
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #77
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Adding a couple pictures to the above post.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #78
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Well I just checked out MSN, and read about the Air France flight that is missing.

We were, scratch that, I was, feeling so weird about this trip that you guys are really the only ones that knew about it (well, some of hubby's co-workers did, and they thought he was absolutely crazy to miss the last week of his department's existence). Hubby felt weird about flying without anyone knowing where we were. And I think that from now on...we won't keep it secret. It would just be so awful for something horrid like that to happen, and have none of our friends/family know that we're missing. I mean, not horrible for us, but for them, definitely. So...no more secret trips, even if they tease us.

I had this whole *positive* thing typed out about goings on today with hubby's interviews, but realized I probably shouldn't talk about it. Drat. All I know is that the company he's worked at since Oct '07 is being incredibly sweet right now, as a "just in case" measure, and they're only doing it for HIM. Along with some other stuff, he now has personal contact info for two of his higher managers and signed a form allowing them to give TRUE referrals, not just "he worked here for this time", if he needs them in the future (plus one of them wants to buy into DVC with Robert as a referral), and he has a small bit of extra breathing room. They are just being really nice, in a bad situation caused by higher higher higher uppity ups in the company (making a good business move that we theoretically support...just at a rotten time). And I'm not being nice about them just b/c they have a non-denigration clause in the severance! No, we truly support their overall business decisions, and either one of us would go back there in a heartbeat...we'd just make sure to get our emergency fund more fully "stocked" first. Just in case.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #79
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Hi Molly. Didn't mean to confuzzle the moment. When I said just arrived here, I meant just arrived here at the trip report. I wish I had been at DL though!
Just caught up on your report, and loving it. We spent a ton of time at the DLH driving the JC boats. I say always go with the 10! We do have about 5 tokens left over that we are taking back in October, just in case we make it over there. With only 3 days, I am not sure we will. Anyhow, can't wait for the rest
Old 06-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #80
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I have been sort of following that Air France story on the news, and am I correct that there is still no sign of the plane (even in the ocean)? Last I heard, it had just disappeared off the radar and I was thinking how bizarre that is - literally, like something out of a Twilight Zone episode. It seemed odd that there was no trace of the plane anywhere in the water - yet. Has anything changed yet?

I have always loved those remote controlled Jungle Cruise boats at the DLH. My favorite part of them? The little tiny people aboard the boats and waiting on the dock thingy! I love those wee folk!

I also don't know yet how I feel about the new Mickey Fun Wheel. Jasmine (WazowskiLOVER) took some great photos of it (which are in her TR), and I can see what you mean about how pretty it is, and I love that it changes colors. BUT, I got so used to that big sun face, and I LOVED seeing the mouse head in California Screamin', so am very miffed that they took that out.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #81
amyamya
Mouseketeer

Loving the TR so far! You have me seriously considering the DLH e-ticket level instead of the GCH for the next trip! It sounds like you guys had a great time...
amyamya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #82
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenDoOver View Post
Hi Molly. Didn't mean to confuzzle the moment. When I said just arrived here, I meant just arrived here at the trip report.
Oh OK! Whew. I was getting even more upset with myself for being out of contact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I have been sort of following that Air France story on the news, and am I correct that there is still no sign of the plane (even in the ocean)? Last I heard, it had just disappeared off the radar and I was thinking how bizarre that is - literally, like something out of a Twilight Zone episode. It seemed odd that there was no trace of the plane anywhere in the water - yet. Has anything changed yet?
I don't know if anything has changed. And yes it is very weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamya View Post
Loving the TR so far! You have me seriously considering the DLH e-ticket level instead of the GCH for the next trip! It sounds like you guys had a great time...
It was definitely nice! Of course now that my mind is open to PPH and DLH (e-ticket), who knows if we'll someday feel the need to complete the trifecta? Oh man, what have I done? WHAT have I done.....

Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #83
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
It was definitely nice! Of course now that my mind is open to PPH and DLH (e-ticket), who knows if we'll someday feel the need to complete the trifecta? Oh man, what have I done? WHAT have I done.....

If you DO ever decide to complete the trifecta, you now know to not do it during the holidays when the huge tree sucks the light out of the lobby!!!!!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 06-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #84
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Most definitely!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #85
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Well, right before we all fell asleep, Robert arranged for a wakeup call, and while doing so, asked if there were any special calls he could get. He was told yes.

So in the morning (I think I was already awake), the phone rang bright and early. And rang and rang. Hubby and son slept on. No one answered it.

While I continued to get ready, I guess they allow for that sort of "I'm still sleeping leave me alone" thing, and the wakeup call "robot" called back. E was starting to slowly wake up, so I grabbed the phone, listened to the normal guy talking, then put it to E's ear as...Mickey! started to talk. Well that woke him up!

He sat up, saying "Mickey called me...", but he had NO idea what Mickey had said to him.

We were moving slow, and stopping off for coffee and waters (we were water smugglers, definitely, naughty naughty us...I just read that that is totally NOT allowed at WDW Concierge levels? thank goodness it was at the DLH for our stay.) and fruit, and THAT morning, croissants, didn't help us go faster. Since we were already running late, and since E had made us very aware of his yearning to ride Nemo, we made the decision to take the monorail.

And then...can you guess it? Our fickle little brand new 5 year old decided that Nemo was scary and he refused to go on. Even exiting the monorail was worrying him b/c it goes right next to the Nemo ride.

I noticed that the monorail exit changes! That morning we left "outside" of the Nemo line, on the Tomorrowland side. Another time, we exited on the inside, between the Nemo line and the water. Interesting!

So there were were, 20 minutes into MM, near Nemo, with a kid who wanted to be in Fantasyland. I'll be honest with you...we're really not aware of what all is open in Tomorrowland. And we get nervous about wasting steps by checking things out, so we gravitate towards *known* things. So I didn't want to go see if Buzz was open, even though I really did know it was.

So anyway, we went over to Fantasyland, where, of course, the guys wanted to ride Teacups.

Seriously, should anyone be on this ride at 7:30 am?????

Well, I guess...HE should.

I even let the guys twirl it... I was so brave.

From there, the guys did the Carrousel and Dumbo. I'd had enough spinning!

Oh goodness gracious, I forgot what else Natalie did for us the afternoon before! She gave E his birthday button ahead of time, though he was asleep so got to be amazed when we gave it to him that morning.

Getting so big!

Not quite strong enough though.

Loved the landscaping around the sword/stone...

After that it was time for BBB. I don't want to talk about it. I wrote up our experience in the BBB thread and that's enough. They had a photopass person there, and the picture she caught of his disappointed expression when they drew back the mirror curtains breaks my mama heart. He was so bummed about it, and refused to tell us how it could be fixed, because he was nervous that the Fairy Godmother in Training would be mad. Even though she was absolutely gracious and terrific, and wouldn't have been mad. She'd also made him nervous by telling him that he couldn't hug me until his hair gel was dry, and somehow he got it into his head that his hair would ALWAYS be like that, so he'd NEVER be able to hug me again.

OK I guess I'm talking about it, but that's about all. I was glad to meet some non-costume CMs at the end of the trip who wanted to hear my thoughts, so I'm hoping it gets better for boys.

Because frankly, this is not an OK pamphlet to give to a boy (read the wording):

And this does not make a 5 year old boy think he looks like a knight:

He was, however, very happy with the sword and shield he got, even though we barely got the sword home.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-01-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: looking like a pamphlet definitely doesn't make you feel like you're a knight!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #86
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I love the Dreams Tower and I don't think that there is a bad view in that tower. And I just love the grounds. Now I have stayed at PP and at DLH and I prefer DLH. I will stay there any chance I get. Aren't those boats great? I love them.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #87
prettyprincessbelle
I'm just excited for the BBQ! Yum YUM!
Pots and pans? Seriously?!

The little boats at the hotel seem like a blast! I think we need to make a walk over there just to play with those!

ETA: Did E get the foam sword/shield or the plastic ones? I remember hearing you say you wanted to get him the plastic ones and he already had the foam ones? I saw on Disneyshopping.com that they had the foam ones that looked very similar if not the same as the ones they sell at the parks on sale. For something very cheap like $2.99 or something.

I think they should have a separate little paper for little boys. With no mention of princesses on it. You would think with the popularity of BBB at WDW, even with boys they would have printed one for the BBB here.

Last edited by prettyprincessbelle; 06-01-2009 at 08:15 PM.
prettyprincessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #88
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Love the boats, kaoden!

PPB, yeah you'd think having appropriate paperwork would be simple, wouldn't you? Guess they haven't figured it out. I just think that...if you're going to offer this for boys, especially since it's such a tiny offering, at least do it *right*. Don't do it halfway. In fact, get capes with a knight head on it, get appropriate paperwork (the back of that page, by the way, showed the three girl styles), give the paperwork at the right time (that paper was given to us AFTER he was done, when it's obviously not meant for then), have pictures so that the little kids know what to expect.

He got the plastic sword and the foam shield. We had talked about the choices and he said he wanted the foam, to replace the ones he already had (they are the Prince Philip foam sword and shield), but when they showed him the shiny plastic one, he was gone.

BBB did look really cute for girls, though. I saw a couple "reveals" and they were so happy about it. They have scented nail polish.

I hope it gets better for boys. And I have nothing bad to say about the FGIT, she was great. Spent scads of time getting his hair up, really wanted to make it right when he obviously hated it, etc etc. She tried her hardest.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #89
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

The confetti baffles me a bit....but I have to say that 'Sir Eamon' has a great ring to it - very regal, indeed!

How cute that E said "Mickey called me," even if he had no clue what Mickey said.

You let them spin the Teacup??? As I recall, on a previous occasions they were not allowed to spin! And those cups spin faster than they used to in the old, old days! You were definitely feeling daring, I guess! I guess seeing that look of pure joy and elation on E's face makes the spinning worthwhile, eh?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #90
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

can I just say that Eamon is the cutest little boy and I can't believe how much he has grown from last year????

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: