Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
loralie
DIS Veteran

Our 2009 GRAND trip to WDW

This is my first trip report so please bear with me. We had been to WDW twice before but the last time was in 2005. We planned a trip for 2007 but had to cancel it. When the Buy 4 get 3 deal came out combined with my DH getting a bigger Christmas bonus than we were expecting, we had to jump at the chance to stay at the Grand Floridian. We were in WDW May 15 to May 22, 2009.
Let me introduce you to the cast of characters you will be reading about.

Me - I am a 39 year old wife and mother of 2 boys who are 13 and 11 years old. I LOVE going to Disney World and think planning the trip is half the fun. I am so happy I have found the DIS. It makes me realize that I am not the only crazy one who is obsessed with WDW. J

DH – 43 years old and loves his family very much but not as big of a fan of WDW as I am. He wants to make his family happy so even though he hates to fly, he agreed that WDW would be the place for our family vacation. One condition…I had to agree that the next family vacation will be a cruise that leaves close enough from our house so he will not have to get on a plane. No problem!

DS13 – He is graduating from Jr. High School in June and he loves WDW almost as much as I do. He still likes character meals but is there more for the food. He was very happy we did the basic dining plan.

DS11 – He is a loveable boy who loves his family but does not get excited about WDW like his brother. This is our 3rd trip and he actually said “Been there, Done that”. He loves it when he gets there but does not really show his excitement. He was most excited about going to Japan in Epcot to buy some more Bakugan toys.

Here is a picture of the 4 of us in front of the castle

This report will also have some before and after pics. Back on our 2005 trip to WDW I was at my heaviest weight. Since then I have lost over 60 pounds and I tried to recreate some of the pics from the last trip. Seeing the before pics after my 2005 trip really made me realize how overweight I was and started me on my weight loss journey.

Here is a pic of me waiting in the airport to go to WDW in 2005

And here is a pic of me waiting in the airport to go to WDW in 2009

That’s it for now…I will post the first day soon.

Loralie

Here is a link to my May 2009 Grand Floridian trip report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2186301

Can't wait to plan more trips to Disney! When you are here the rest of the world just goes away along with all the problems.

Last edited by loralie; 05-25-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
mindystar
DIS Veteran

Congrats on writing your first TR! And congrats on the weight loss too I'll be leaving for the Grand in four days, but have so much o do between now and then, but will definitely squeeze in some time to check out your tr Ahhh, what we can do for a Disney fix, even if we're headed out that way shortly
Can't wait for more
1993-CR1996-Poly1997-Offsite1999-CR2002-AKL/Poly 2005-CR Feb 2006 PolyJune 2006-Sister's DFTW Custom Wedding (GF/CR)April 2007-PORDec 2007-Coronado2008-PolyMarch 2009-POR 30 B-day!May/June 2009-Family Vacation -GFJune 2010-CR May/June 2012-Family Vacation-PolyFeb 2013-Princess Half Marathon-POFQ December 2013-Pop Century
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Loralie Great start to your TR!!! And congratualtions on the weight loss..you look terrific! and I'm sure feel terrific too....

Looking foward to reading more about your trip! BTW love your family photo...and the pics that you posted on the GF FAQ...

Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
loralie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindystar View Post
Congrats on writing your first TR! And congrats on the weight loss too I'll be leaving for the Grand in four days, but have so much o do between now and then, but will definitely squeeze in some time to check out your tr Ahhh, what we can do for a Disney fix, even if we're headed out that way shortly
Can't wait for more
Yeah...I am so glad you posted. I was getting worried no one would want to read my report. You are going to love the Grand Floridian and you leave in 4 days...how exciting. It goes by so fast. I wish I was back there. Thanks for reading along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
Loralie Great start to your TR!!! And congratualtions on the weight loss..you look terrific! and I'm sure feel terrific too....

Looking forward to reading more about your trip! BTW love your family photo...and the pics that you posted on the GF FAQ...
The GF FAQ gave me so much great info before my trip. I will try to post more pics on there a little later today. Thanks for the kind words and for reading along.

I will try to get day one posted today.

Loralie

Can't wait to plan more trips to Disney! When you are here the rest of the world just goes away along with all the problems.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
loralie
DIS Veteran

Day one

We had a nice smooth flight on Jet Blue to Orlando. We got on the magical Express bus and had a nice ride to the Grand Floridian. I was a little disappointed it was a yellow Mears bus but it still showed the video so the kids were happy. The Grand Floridian was the last stop. First stop was the Wilderness Lodge, then the Contemporary then finally the Grand Floridian. We were the only family going to the Grand Floridian that morning so we had the bus to ourselves and chatted with the bus driver. We had used online check-in before we left so a nice CM met us at the bus and took us right over to the online check-in desk. Our room was not ready since it was only around 11:00 am so we left our carry-on luggage with bell services and decided to start using our dining plan and go to Gasparilla Grill for lunch. Since they have the arcade in there the boys played for a little while and DH and I got a chance to just sit and talk and marvel at how beautiful the Grand Floridian really is.

After lunch it was still early and the weather was nice, we decided to get the boys their bathing suits from the carry-on luggage and let them go swimming. They enjoyed the beach pool and the slide very much.

I did not go swimming but did relax in a lounge chair while they had fun.

Finally our room was ready and we could not wait to see it. I told the boys not to touch anything until I got some good pics of the room before they messed it up. I will show those pics in the next post.

That’s it for now…I will try to post more later on.

Loralie

Old 05-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What a beautiful family you have! Congrats on the weight loss too. I often say that trip reports and pictures are what keep me sane until my next WDW vacation. Thanks for your contribution to my sanity!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
MEK
DIS Veteran

Great start to your TR. Congratulations on your 60lb weight loss - that is an awesome accomplishment. You look pretty skinny in that picture in front of the castle!

My boys are 16 and 14. It's the 16 year old who has the "been there, done that" attitude. We found that bringing a friend works wonders for this and immediately adjusts the attitude.

Looking forward to reading more!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
loralie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
What a beautiful family you have! Congrats on the weight loss too. I often say that trip reports and pictures are what keep me sane until my next WDW vacation. Thanks for your contribution to my sanity!
Thanks, I agree, I love reading trip reports with pics too. I don't have another trip to WDW planned so writing the report will help keep me sane for a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Great start to your TR. Congratulations on your 60lb weight loss - that is an awesome accomplishment. You look pretty skinny in that picture in front of the castle!

My boys are 16 and 14. It's the 16 year old who has the "been there, done that" attitude. We found that bringing a friend works wonders for this and immediately adjusts the attitude.

Looking forward to reading more!
Bring a friend...I will have to remember that for the next trip. It will be a few years so we will see how the attitude is at the time. Thanks for reading along.

Loralie

Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
loralie
DIS Veteran

Day one cont.

We finally got to the room and it was beautiful. We were in Sago Cay room 5409.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
loralie
DIS Veteran

Here is a few pics of the balcony and the views.

Our view looking straight

Looking to the left

Looking to the right

After we saw the room we relaxed for a while. We had been up early traveling all day and we all needed a little rest. We set a wake up call so we can get ready for Chef Mickeys dinner.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #11
MEK
DIS Veteran

Wow - Beautiful views from your room. What a gorgeous resort! GF is one resort that I have never even visited, so I have to try to tour it someday. I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to stay there, since I am trying to stay at all the DVC resorts first, but ya never know!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-27-2009, 04:46 AM   #12
Rozz
DIS Veteran

Your trip report is fantastic! I can't wait for more! I love the photos.
We have 13 and 11 year olds. They still look forward to going to Disney World. I think one reason is so they can try to beat me at Buzz Lightyear and TSM.
I will be looking for the next installment later today (hint).

I want to congratulate you on your weight loss! I have struggled for the last couple of years to shed 50 lbs. I haven't given up yet!

Caribbean Beach Wilderness Lodge WDW Swan WDW Dolphin Regal Sun Carribean Beach POP Century
Old 05-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #13
carrie6466
DIS Veteran

Good job, love the pictures! I can't wait to see more soon (hint, hint)

Congrats on the weight loss!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
loralie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Wow - Beautiful views from your room. What a gorgeous resort! GF is one resort that I have never even visited, so I have to try to tour it someday. I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to stay there, since I am trying to stay at all the DVC resorts first, but ya never know!
You should go over and give the GF a tour. Maybe have dinner or afternoon tea. I wanted to do the afternoon tea so badly but with a family of boys I knew there was no way they would want to waste time having tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
Your trip report is fantastic! I can't wait for more! I love the photos.
We have 13 and 11 year olds. They still look forward to going to Disney World. I think one reason is so they can try to beat me at Buzz Lightyear and TSM.
I will be looking for the next installment later today (hint).

I want to congratulate you on your weight loss! I have struggled for the last couple of years to shed 50 lbs. I haven't given up yet!
Thanks for the positive feedback. My boys LOVED Buzz Light year and TSM. They are 2 of their favorite rides and they are great that the whole family can enjoy them. Never give up on the diet. This is my motto "If I don't give up I will succeed...if I do give up I will NEVER make it to my goal." It took me a year to lose 48 pounds on weight watchers and then almost 10 months to lose the rest. It is not easy but as long as you don't give up you will make it to your goal. Keep up the great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie6466 View Post
Good job, love the pictures! I can't wait to see more soon (hint, hint)

Congrats on the weight loss!
Thanks, I love that people are starting to read the report. I am mad at myself for not giving it a better title but it is what it is. I am going to try to post more later on today but it is my MIL's birthday so I don't know how much I will be able to do. Thanks again for reading and for the congrats on the weight loss.

Loralie

Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
dpndka
Mouseketeer

I'm on board for your TR. Great beginning. Congrats on the wieght loss. That is a pretty big deal. I'm trying to lose 20 lbs and it is a major struggle.

Your GF pics are simply beautiful. We're headed there in Dec

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: