Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #751
lissiesmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Hi. My DD is always cold and had one of those North Face fleece (thin one) sweaters with her all the time. Once or twice it was chilly at night -- nothing that a light jacket wouldn't fix. But we were moving around alot -- if you are going to sit for an hour or two to watch the parade & fireworks, I would definitely bring a jacket. It was pleasantly warm, but not hot or humid while we were there. Perfect for us, since we run around alot and the heat and humidity really slow us down.

Weird thing -- when we left home it was 60 degrees and rainy. It's supposed to be 90 today! Really unusual for us, especially since it's warmer than Florida!
thanks! I will definitely pack a sweatshirt for both of us and some long pants. Glad I asked! I will have the same weirdness for weather here. The day before and the day I leave it will be in the 70's - 80's...not normal for NH in April!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
Thanks taylor3297 & lissiesmom for the information about Pop Werner Football at WDW. That is what I was hoping but it is good to have it confirmed.

Carlix30, taylor3297 is correct - UG stand for Unofficial Guide.
you're welcome! I fretted about it forever and never ended up going, but it didn't sound like it would affect crowds at all. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmamom View Post
HI everyone, I have a question for those of you who have been to MNSSHP, I hope someone can help! I know the tickets go on sale May 1st, but the park hours for September won't be posted until June. Do I need to buy the tickets right away, or can I wait until June when I can plan my whole week? I'm thinking they won't sell out right away, especially for September. What do you think? Thanks!!!!
I booked my MNSSHP tickets about three weeks before I left, and I was there for the first party in September. I don't think they sell out, except maybe close to/on Halloween. You will have plenty of time to plan your week...my biggest stress was, will it rain the night of the party? It did rain at first, but then cleared and we were still able to enjoy the rest of the night. You will absolutely love it, I wish I could go back again. We bought the soundtrack and listen to it every day while wer'e driving. You'll be singing Boo to you for weeks after you leave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAJUNWDWFAN View Post
If you want to find us. We will be the newlywed couple with honeymoon buttons on. I use a blue Jansport backpack with a green mickey ear attached to the backpack. Look for us!
I will look out for you guys. What a great place to honeymoon...congratulations We have a brown stroller and I'll try to attach a LGMH to it if I can find one. Enjoy your wedding, and hope to catch up with you soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebee View Post
Although it wasn't in the 80s when we were there, I will say that that wind at night was rather chilly if you were hanging out on the Poly beach. I'd recommend something warm to wear if the wind kicks up while you are there. We were unprepared and had to all buy hoodies at WDW.
Thanks, Juliebee! My DD is never cold, but lately I'm cold all the time. I've had a cold that never ends since February, got rid of it for a week, and now have a new one so I will definitely need something to keep me warm at night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post

Hi to you too! Better get packing! We ended up in Tokelau, and it was a good place for us. I highly recommend Samoa for you, since it's very close to the monorail, Captain Cooks, both pools, the boat dock, etc. They are definitely rebuilding the outside stairs at Fiji now. The workmen I spoke with said it would be at least a month before completion (But will probably be done before then )

For O'hana I would try the front desk concierge first, then if that doesn't work just show up in the AM and ask at the check in desk for Ohana. Even when the front desk said I couldn't get in, I did a "walk up" there and was seated in ten minutes for dinner. There were folks doing walk ups for Crystal Place (20 minutes to an hour and a half wait depending on party size) and we did several meals as walk ups at Kona Cafe. More for you later - I took pics with you in mind.

Yeah for you! Pretty soon you'll be there enjoying the lovey Poly!

I'm glad you liked Tokelau. I'm just going to wait until I get there, tell them what I'm looking for and see what I get (and hope to get a decent view or location). I'm looking forward to those pictures, thanks for thinking of us . Thanks for the tips on 'Ohana. DD is dying to eat with Lilo and Stitch so I'll ask concierge first, then try walk up. The only day we could do it is our departure day, and I already have a ressie for Kona that I could cancel, so I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best

PS...my countdown clock conked out and disappeared? what the heck???
April 2011 - Easter at the Dolphin, Epcot fireworks view
February 2010 - Polynesian Resort, Tuvalu TPV
April 2009 - Polynesian Resort, Hawaii GV
September 2008, MNSSHP - Wilderness Lodge, Courtyard view

(me 41) (DH 41) (DD 8) (DS 10)
Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #752
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Hello! We booked the Poly (club level) right at the end of the 4/3 promotion and I have enjoyed reading this thread everyday since. The thread itself has gotten me so excited for our trip in July. Here's where I need some advice from everyone that has stayed at the Poly (I have not). We are booked for 7 nights with 8 day park hopper tickets. We are going to go down to Orlando a few days early and stay near SeaWorld and do that park a couple of days. Then the plan is to move over to the Poly on 7/8. I hate split stays, but 9 nights at the Poly isn't in the budget (1,000 for the additional 2 nights-I had my DH call last night just to be sure). Well, yesterday I was reading some of the Swan/Dolphin threads and decided to get a quote for the 9 nights. With the current $99-for-the-second-room special and my teacher discount we can get 2 rooms for 9 nights for the price of 7 (1 room) at the Poly. Now I am seriously torn between the two. Has anyone stayed at both resorts and could give me some advice? We will be going to all 4 parks, but probably MK the most. Help please .
If you stay at the Swan and Dolphin there is something/benefit you miss out on (which I can't remember what it is right this minute) because even though it is on Disney Property, it isn't a Disney owned hotel. Someone on here who will remember what I can't at this moment.
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #753
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Teehee....

I had to come on here and tell you all. DH always has this attitude, like you book it, plan it, just let me know when the $$ is due. Not that I am complaining...

So now for the second time I caught him browsing the net, the first time checking out tiki's site and then just now he was on the DIS.

I knew something was up because he was asking me questions about stuff like bouncebacks and park hours. He has never cared before. He loves Disney but I was the offical planner. His research consisted of the park maps located in the lobby upon arrival.

Then today a box came from Eddie Bauer so I called him at work to tell him and his response "Oh, that is my new backpack for Disney".

He is a total closet Disney planner. He just has not come out to me yet.

If you are reading this "Hi honey, welcome to the DIS"
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #754
Sphyrna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post
Teehee....

I had to come on here and tell you all. DH always has this attitude, like you book it, plan it, just let me know when the $$ is due. Not that I am complaining...

So now for the second time I caught him browsing the net, the first time checking out tiki's site and then just now he was on the DIS.

I knew something was up because he was asking me questions about stuff like bouncebacks and park hours. He has never cared before. He loves Disney but I was the offical planner. His research consisted of the park maps located in the lobby upon arrival.

Then today a box came from Eddie Bauer so I called him at work to tell him and his response "Oh, that is my new backpack for Disney".

Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #755
Sphyrna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
If you stay at the Swan and Dolphin there is something/benefit you miss out on (which I can't remember what it is right this minute) because even though it is on Disney Property, it isn't a Disney owned hotel. Someone on here who will remember what I can't at this moment.
From what I remember from listening to the podcast, you can't use Magical Express with the Swan & Dolphin. Also, you can't have purchases bought in the park sent to your resort. I believe those were the 2 main things.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #756
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Teehee....

This sounds sooo much like my DH!
At the beginning he was all "Whatever. Just tell me when and where." Now he's insisting that we upgrade to MK view so he can watch the fireworks every night from his balcony.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 04-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #757
Pugsly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Teehee....

Thanks for ending my day with a laugh!

14 trips and counting ...
1978-offsite 1998-POFQ 2000-ASMo 2001-ASMo, CSR 2003-ASMo 2003-Hotel Santa Fe (DLP) 2004-ASMo, WL 2008-Pop 2009-Poly 2011-Hilton Grand Vacation Club 2012-Carribbean Beach 2012-Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2013-Grand Californian 2014-AoA
Old 04-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #758
NJBILL
Always Keep An Eye To The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperMickey View Post
Sorry to go off topic but...
Have you taken the auto-train before? I am just curious of your experience and how you pass the time. I have looked into it occasionally but could never get my head wrapped around sitting in those seats for 20 hours (even if you can get up and walk around).

Thanks
Not bad at all. We have made the trip by train 5 times since my kids were small..You leave at 4pm and arrive around 8:20. You get a free dinner and continental breakfast. There are electrical outlets at each seat so kids play their video games or watch movies,as well as look out the window and see different states..My kids still enjoy it and they are 12,12, and 14 now. It takes a little planning,and some patience, but between eating,sleeping,walking around,the time moves pretty quickly.
Norwegian Dawn-2005
4 Night Land/ 4 Night Land/Sea Package - Aug 2006 AKL Concierge-Disney Wonder / Deluxe Family Stateroom
Aug 17, 2007 Explorer Of The Seas- 9 Night-Bermunda, St.Thomas, St.Maarten, Puerto Rico.
Aug 11, 2008 Norwegian Sky- Bahamas-Nassau, Grand Bahama Island
Polynesian Garden View Club .....July 21-July 28 ,2009
Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean 2010
Disney Dream- CR Club Level- Land/Sea August 25, 2012
Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #759
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Teehee....He is a total closet Disney planner. He just has not come out to me yet.

I love this! There's something great about a guy who loves Disney, even if he's still in the closet!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 04-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #760
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphyrna View Post
From what I remember from listening to the podcast, you can't use Magical Express with the Swan & Dolphin. Also, you can't have purchases bought in the park sent to your resort. I believe those were the 2 main things.
I think you also can't be on the dining plan (no biggie to me, but a big deal to some people).

Also, I'm not sure that you can charge stuff to your room from the parks (that would be a big deal to me).

S/D is in a great location, though, so for me that would make up for a lot!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 04-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #761
jmamom
Mouseketeer

I booked my MNSSHP tickets about three weeks before I left, and I was there for the first party in September. I don't think they sell out, except maybe close to/on Halloween. You will have plenty of time to plan your week...my biggest stress was, will it rain the night of the party? It did rain at first, but then cleared and we were still able to enjoy the rest of the night. You will absolutely love it, I wish I could go back again. We bought the soundtrack and listen to it every day while wer'e driving. You'll be singing Boo to you for weeks after you leave!

Thank you so much! Have a great trip!!!

October 2001 at the Wilderness Lodge
September 2009 at the Polynesian
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #762
CAJUNWDWFAN
Do or Do Not, There is No Try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
It's is good luck to have your honeymoon at the Poly....we did!!! 30 years ago and are checking back in Saturday to celebrate our 30th anniversary!!!

MJ
That's wonderful! Happy Anniversary. Actually is so funny, me and my fiance are getting married Friday the 24. My parents were also married on April 24th! So we will celebrate Anniversaries together! They will make 38 years together!

Disney Trips: 20 Trips and Counting!)
Grand Floridian Dec.-2013
Beach Club Dec.-2009, April 2014 (Stone Harbor Club twice!)
Polynesian Resort April-2009 (Honeymoon!) Sept.-2013
Coronado Springs May-2003, Nov.-2006, June-2008, April-2012
Wilderness Lodge Dec.-2005, Oct.-2011
Port Orleans 1994, Port Orleans Riverside Oct.-2007, May-2013
Numerous trips as a kid to (Contemporary/Polynesian) (1977, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1987)
Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #763
LJD2143
DIS Veteran & DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Hello! We booked the Poly (club level) right at the end of the 4/3 promotion and I have enjoyed reading this thread everyday since. The thread itself has gotten me so excited for our trip in July. Here's where I need some advice from everyone that has stayed at the Poly (I have not). We are booked for 7 nights with 8 day park hopper tickets. We are going to go down to Orlando a few days early and stay near SeaWorld and do that park a couple of days. Then the plan is to move over to the Poly on 7/8. I hate split stays, but 9 nights at the Poly isn't in the budget (1,000 for the additional 2 nights-I had my DH call last night just to be sure). Well, yesterday I was reading some of the Swan/Dolphin threads and decided to get a quote for the 9 nights. With the current $99-for-the-second-room special and my teacher discount we can get 2 rooms for 9 nights for the price of 7 (1 room) at the Poly. Now I am seriously torn between the two. Has anyone stayed at both resorts and could give me some advice? We will be going to all 4 parks, but probably MK the most. Help please .
No, no, no - Don't give up the Poly Club Level!!!

Although the Swan & Dolphin sound like wonderful hotels, IMO they just don't compare to the Poly: Theme, location, room views, transportation options, restaurants, pools, monorail access, and proximity to MK.

I am also not a fan of split stays - but in this instance, I definitely vote for keeping 7 nights at the Poly, with the 2 additional nights at the Swan or Dolphin.

Good Luck!
2000 Wilderness Lodge 2006 Polynesian 2007 Polynesian 2008 Polynesian/Disney Wonder 2009 Grand Floridian SugarLoaf
2010 Wilderness Lodge 2011 Bay Lake Tower 2012 Boardwalk Villas 2012 Beach Club Villas 2013 Boardwalk Villas 2014 Aulani 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas
Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #764
tarak
DIS Veteran

Originally Posted by BreezysMom
Quote:
Teehee....He is a total closet Disney planner. He just has not come out to me yet.

The only thing my husband has decreed is that we should stay at the Poly. Which is the way I like it.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #765
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD2143 View Post
No, no, no - Don't give up the Poly Club Level!!!

Although the Swan & Dolphin sound like wonderful hotels, IMO they just don't compare to the Poly: Theme, location, room views, transportation options, restaurants, pools, monorail access, and proximity to MK.

I am also not a fan of split stays - but in this instance, I definitely vote for keeping 7 nights at the Poly, with the 2 additional nights at the Swan or Dolphin.

Good Luck!
I have to agree.....I have stayed at both the Swan and the Dolphin and even though they are nice hotels...they don't compare, at least to me, with the ambience and feel of the Poly....we have stayed at the Poly several times and just love it.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: