Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #151
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

There's a Contemporary pic update on allearsnet. There's some pics of the new Fantasia Market.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jacksp..._april_14.html

Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #152
oasispaul
Mouseketeer

glad to see Fantasia Market open up a littler earlier than expected!
APR 2009: Contemporary
FEB 2004: Villas at Wilderness Lodge
APR 1990: Polynesian

2001-2013: Epcot Beers Around the World (13 years and counting!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #153
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
There's a Contemporary pic update on allearsnet. There's some pics of the new Fantasia Market.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jacksp..._april_14.html
I already added this link to the front first page of this thread in the section with the all the stores.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #154
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyjax View Post
Getting nervous about staying at the contemporary. We leave in a couple of weeks and are doing an off site on site split stay. I made my dh cancel two days at the JW to stay on site.

My 4 year old is so excited about the "monorail hotel". We booked a garden view, is there much of a different feel in the resort if you are staying in that area? I was excited either way. However my dh who could care less about hotels is now talking about wether or not we could get upgraded to the tower. He never talks like that and so I am worried about his expectations. Then there is the whole bed bug issue being talked about. Something I freak out about at every visit at Disney!! Why oh why do I only hear about this stuff at Disney??
I am the person with the bed bug problem and if I were you I wouldn't worry about it! If I had known what I know now before my trip I would have simply checked the mattresses etc upon check in and moved rooms! The bed bugs are very isolated to certain rooms and the rooms around it. If you check and see no evidence then you will be fine! I won't let the bed bug issue stop me from going to Disney again. Bed bugs are something that you need to look for at ANY hotel from a flea bag to a 5 star! Just be wary if they assign you to room 6128!

As for the garden wing having a different feel this is JMO but I did feel distanced from the Disney experience staying there. I would pay to upgrade to the tower if I ever stayed there again. It almost felt to us like when we left the tower to go out to our room that we were almost leaving property. I never had that feeling staying at the lowest level rooms at the Poly, ASMovies or Pop. That's JMO though, there are many, many people who love it.

As for hoping for an upgrade don't get your hopes up too high. You hear about it here a lot but in reality the chances are pretty slim you'll get upgraded. We had it marked on our ressy that we were celebrating a 60th and a 4th B-day and I was super, super nice to the check-in CM and no upgrade for us! I was hoping too! If you really, really want to stay in the tower you need to upgrade and pay for it.

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #155
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I'm just itchin' to hear what they have to say Monday! The medical release almost makes it sound like they're fearing a law suit. If you have specific expectations, don't be shy about letting them know, and I'd immediately let them know of your hearing impairment so that perhaps an alternate means of communication can be established for the future.
A lawsuit? Are you kidding?? I wouldn't even dream of filing a lawsuit for this! All I absolutely want is confirmation that they are taking care of the problem. If they wanted to offer me a great discount on a future trip I wouldn't pass it up but I'm not expecting that!

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
Old 04-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #156
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm just itchin' to hear what they have to say Monday! The medical release almost makes it sound like they're fearing a law suit. If you have specific expectations, don't be shy about letting them know, and I'd immediately let them know of your hearing impairment so that perhaps an alternate means of communication can be established for the future.
I've been fretting about this phone call since I got the letter due to my hearing loss. The type of loss I have is rare and it is in the mid-range where most talking is. I decided to try and call the number today in hopes of getting an answering machine. I did and the lady has a very, very thick accent so I know I will not be able to understand a thing she says on the phone. In my message I explained my hearing loss and asked her to please email me. I explained I was confused about the medical release form because I never saw a Dr, but my son did. I told her I would be more than happy to comply with any request they have so that the issue can be dealt with. I said I really want to make sure the room gets dealt with so that future guests don't have problems and so that I can return to Disney in confidence of being bed bug free! I tried to sound very upbeat and friendly so as to relay the feeling that I am not sue happy or looking for anything. I am worried that if they are thinking I would try and sue (which is insane!) that they will refuse to email since they won't want to put anything in writing. I sure hope they will email! I'll update!

Old 04-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #157
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelsGoingToDisney View Post
I've been fretting about this phone call since I got the letter due to my hearing loss. The type of loss I have is rare and it is in the mid-range where most talking is. I decided to try and call the number today in hopes of getting an answering machine. I did and the lady has a very, very thick accent so I know I will not be able to understand a thing she says on the phone. In my message I explained my hearing loss and asked her to please email me. I explained I was confused about the medical release form because I never saw a Dr, but my son did. I told her I would be more than happy to comply with any request they have so that the issue can be dealt with. I said I really want to make sure the room gets dealt with so that future guests don't have problems and so that I can return to Disney in confidence of being bed bug free! I tried to sound very upbeat and friendly so as to relay the feeling that I am not sue happy or looking for anything. I am worried that if they are thinking I would try and sue (which is insane!) that they will refuse to email since they won't want to put anything in writing. I sure hope they will email! I'll update!
Shel,

They called me (and sent a letter) after I sent a letter of complaint to them. I think they want you to call them because it's a more personal way of dealing with a guest. It's good you left the message today so that you can re-emphasize to them that you have a hearing impairment. She'll probably e-mail you, but if she doesn't, could your husband call?

Don't fret about it, you did the right thing letting them know. They can't make it right for you (or any future guest) unless you let them know there's a problem.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #158
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Shel,

They called me (and sent a letter) after I sent a letter of complaint to them. I think they want you to call them because it's a more personal way of dealing with a guest. It's good you left the message today so that you can re-emphasize to them that you have a hearing impairment. She'll probably e-mail you, but if she doesn't, could your husband call?

Don't fret about it, you did the right thing letting them know. They can't make it right for you (or any future guest) unless you let them know there's a problem.
Well my husband could call for me which he does all the time but he didn't go with us on the trip. It was my 3 kids, my Mom, and myself. He would also have to call from work due to the times given in the letter to call. I wouldn't be there with him and I am afraid he wouldn't know how to answer everything. He doesn't have the best memory & listening skills around (well at least for my voice!) ! If I don't get an email or if they refuse to communicate that way then I guess will will resort to him calling. I hope she's ready for a lot of "I don't know, I'll have to ask my wife..." type answers! Just last week he had to call Chase to add our new car loan to our online account where our Disney Visa is and that was a 3 phone call mess! It all ended with us having 2 online accounts now because he had no clue and didn't listen to my information or read carefully enough the email I sent him. It is such a PITA (for him and me) to be the one in the know and in charge of everything but then not be able to talk on the phone to anyone! Protect your ears is the best advice I have!!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #159
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Hi all!

I just upgraded from Pop to CR this AM and am REALLY exicted! DS has wanted to stay here since he was 2 and now at age 6- he finally is!!!

I have a few questions(forgive me if this is already covered )

First, re: the pool?
Is it a zero entry?
If not, how deep is it at the edges (DS is 45 inches tall at present).
Also, are life jackets available?
Can the children wear them on the slide?
If not, does anyone know how deep the water is at the bottom of the slide?

Re: Dining:
Is the Contempo Cafe the only place to fill the mugs?
Is there a grab and go section there? (like for yogurt, bottled water etc)
We are doing DXDDP and have ADR's for Cali Grille, Chef Mickeys and the Wave (both) for breakfast. Any thing else I should try for at CR?

Rooms:
We are booked Garden Wing, Garden View- should I request a view, or let the room assigners surprise me?
Is turndown service available upon request in the wings?
About how big is the safe? (want to put in a small portable DVD player and sometimes, our small camcorder)

Transportation
About how long to walk to MK?
If the bus is shared with the Poly, who is picked up first on the way to the park?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 04-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #160
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
Hi all!

I just upgraded from Pop to CR this AM and am REALLY exicted! DS has wanted to stay here since he was 2 and now at age 6- he finally is!!!

I have a few questions(forgive me if this is already covered )

First, re: the pool?
Is it a zero entry?
If not, how deep is it at the edges (DS is 45 inches tall at present).
Also, are life jackets available?
Can the children wear them on the slide?
If not, does anyone know how deep the water is at the bottom of the slide?

Re: Dining:
Is the Contempo Cafe the only place to fill the mugs?
Is there a grab and go section there? (like for yogurt, bottled water etc)
We are doing DXDDP and have ADR's for Cali Grille, Chef Mickeys and the Wave (both) for breakfast. Any thing else I should try for at CR?

Rooms:
We are booked Garden Wing, Garden View- should I request a view, or let the room assigners surprise me?
Is turndown service available upon request in the wings?
About how big is the safe? (want to put in a small portable DVD player and sometimes, our small camcorder)

Transportation
About how long to walk to MK?
If the bus is shared with the Poly, who is picked up first on the way to the park?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pool: Not zero entry. There are stairs and then it goes about 3+ ft to the max of a little over 4 ft I believe. I think it is about 4' a the bottom of the slide. You can get life jackets with your room key over in the building where you rent boats etc. You can keep it for the stay just have to return it by the end or you'll be charged $45. You can wear them on the slide.

Dining: I am guessing the mug fill is only at Contempo but I didn't get one so not 100% sure. There was a grab and go section but it closes when they close the tills down at 11-12 at night. The market place was closed for refurb while we were there so now that it is open again you may be able to get grab and go stuff there. I believe you mentioned all the restaurants at the CR so you should be covered for that.

Rooms: We had a garden view and it was on the bottom floor with a little patio. The view was pleasant. Didn't seem to me to have better views in the garden section. They all kind of faced each other.

Transport: For us the walk seemed long to the MK and we preferred the monorail. The walk took about 10-15 minutes. There is no bus service to the MK from CR, just the monorail and walking. We used the bus for the HS and Blizzard Beach and we shared with Poly. They pick up at CR first then go to Poly. The busses were kind of full when we got on so they may have stopped somewhere else first??

HTH!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #161
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Thanks Shel! What a great tip about renting the life jacket for the week too!

As for walking to MK, we probably won't do it much (it will be too hot ) and probably not at night, I was curious if it was that much of a time saver vs. the monorail. We normally stay GF so we are spoiled by the MK being the first stop after there (and we usually take the boat back to the GF rather than run the monorail loop). How long do you think it is on the monorail to MK - 15 minutes plus wait time?

And what about turndown? DS thinks that is the coolest thing at the GF (and it is automatic there), but if I can request it, I think I will.

Thanks again!!!!!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~

Old 04-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #162
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
Thanks Shel! What a great tip about renting the life jacket for the week too!

As for walking to MK, we probably won't do it much (it will be too hot ) and probably not at night, I was curious if it was that much of a time saver vs. the monorail. We normally stay GF so we are spoiled by the MK being the first stop after there (and we usually take the boat back to the GF rather than run the monorail loop). How long do you think it is on the monorail to MK - 15 minutes plus wait time?

And what about turndown? DS thinks that is the coolest thing at the GF (and it is automatic there), but if I can request it, I think I will.

Thanks again!!!!!
I've never had turndown so I don't know if it is available or how that works.

AS for the monorail personally I didn't think it was much of a time saver to walk and it just ended up tiring the kids out that much more. We love the monorail though so riding that is always a treat for us. I never timed it but it didn't seem to take more than 10-15 minutes I think for the CR to the MK. We never had to wait for a monorail either, they were always right there waiting for us!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #163
spacec47
Mouseketeer

Welcome to the CR thread Turndown service is by request on a non consierge level. I plan to request it when we go.

CR Sept 2009April 2008 GF my 30th b-dayJune 2006 Poly DD's 1st b-dayJune 2004 CR DS's 1st b-day 3rd anniversaryJan 2002 WL honeymoon
Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #164
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacec47 View Post
Welcome to the CR thread Turndown service is by request on a non consierge level. I plan to request it when we go.
Thanks! I am REALLY excited to finally stay here.

I have been on here most of the day looking at pics etc.

Another question, if everyone will indulge me but is there any drawer space in the room for socks etc. I like to unpack the suitcases and put the dirty clothes back in the empty cases as the trip progresses, but I don't see where I can even unpack

Also, is there one of those folding stands to set a suitcase on in the room somewhere? (in the closet perhaps?)

Lastly, what about a coffee pot in the room? I haven't seen one in the photos yet, but I hope I am just missing it...

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: I found the coffee pot and a couple of drawers under the safe- any more drawers hiding in the room? Thanks!

Last edited by Cinderumbrella; 04-20-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #165
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacec47 View Post
Any extra fee for it?

2014 (July) Contemporary -Concierge (Bay Lake View) 2013 (July) POR - 2012 (December) Contemporary -2012 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View), 2011 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),2010 (July) Contemporary (MK View), 2010- (March) All-Star Music, 2009- Contemporary (MK View),2008- Port Orleans Riverside (July),2007- Port Orleans Riverside (May & December),2006 - All-Star Music (July),2004 - All-Star Music (May),2000 - Travelodge Maingate (April),1991 - Rodeway (On intl' drive),1987- Quality Inn,1985 - Sheraton
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: