Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #31
nikkipowell1
I always cry when I see my kids first expressions at Cinderellas Castle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Scrooge makes fun of me for it but it does generally pay off. It's funny, our last WDW trip we completely winged it, just showed up. And it was fine. But it was really really nice to have a plan, still have flexibility but know that the big things were taken care of. And I had fun with my surprises...there were more in store for the crew.
We are traveling by airplane as well from MI and its our first time staying in the cabins. Where did you order your food from?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #32
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkipowell1 View Post
We are traveling by airplane as well from MI and its our first time staying in the cabins. Where did you order your food from?
We got everything from Garden Grocer

http://gardengrocer.com/

We were quite happy with the service.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #33
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Valentine's Day at the World!

Valentine's day dawned sunny and lovely! We (I) had some special plans for the day, not all of which the crew knew about. It was somewhat of an open day, no EMH anywhere so it was a day we'd planned to let the kids decide where they wanted to go. MK was the winner for a couple reasons, 1) boat straight there from the Fort and 2) dinner was booked at the Poly.

First up.

Scrooge. I had shipped some of Scrooge's favorite candies ahead and gave them to him that morning with a card. This place is the BOMB! The Tiffany's of chocolates.

http://www.woodhousechocolate.com/

Scrooge is a caramel freak and their salted caramels are well, a slice of heaven.

In planning the trip we had tried to figure out something special for each person. Today we were starting with Tink. She and I arose a wee bit early and headed off too...

The Grand Floridian! For pedicures Nothing like some girly girly stuff on Valentine's day!

I had let her choose which spa she wanted to check out and this was her top choice. We had hoped to arrive in time for breakfast prior to the pedicure but of course, did not. The pedicure was lovely. I think Tink was more interested in the GF and the idea of staying there someday, the spa was a little sedate in their polish color choices for her preference but she was impressed with all the extra treatments (leg wraps etc...must have used 3 different treatments on our legs and feet) versus the standard pedi she's had before. The spa was strewn with rose petals, a nice touch.

Afterward we wandered around and checked out the GF and then hit Gasparilla's for lunch. Yum! Tink and her incredibly healthy (NOT) lunch of dorito's, pizza and a coke. Note the refillable mug. It lasted 3 days before she left it somewhere. I think I still saved money but it was a bummer!

While Tink and I wandered, checking out pools, lobbies and beaches, the other natives had gotten restless and began their trek to the MK. We told them to go eat and we'd meet them.

Finally she and I finished and headed over to MK. After grabbing FP's to Space Mountain (the boys had theirs) we met them at Cosmic Rays.

A note. It took us forever, it felt, to get to Space Mountain, and then to Cosmic Rays. Of course, part of that could have been the stop for a photopass picutre or two but the place was PACKED! Like non stop parade (Celebrations was going as we walked in) can't walk down main street, can't move to even get to the FP line, packed. I have never seen crowds like this. While the rest of the trip was pretty ridiculous crowd wise, this was one of the worst. And ultimately a bit of a bummer as the effect, as the week went on, is that we never "really" got a full day at the MK and when we were there, it was insane. We still had fun though!

After finally getting to the boys (it was so warm, I stopped and changed to something sleeveless, Tink had done that back at the GF) we sat with them and waited for them to get their food.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Steven had wanted a cheeseburger and had gone in ahead of Scrooge and the boys who had waited for Tink and I to head in so we could save the table. Scrooge and the little boys came back out with their food. Still no Steven.

Finally we call him.

He's still in the cheeseburger line. Scrooge had skipped it as it was so long!

I know Cosmic Rays gets good reviews and the boys seemed to like their food but it looked pretty basic and the crowds were ridiculous. I have to admit it will not be on my top list of CS to try the next time at MK (for me).

By now it is yes, once again 1pm and we've done not a single ride. Everywhere we go the lines are so bad, we opt out. Still a little too early for another FP. So we decide to split up, the big kids and Scrooge head off to Big Thunder and the little boys and I head off to....

the Main Street Barber! I had peeked while grabbing a locker (I'd run back once everyone had food) and there wasn't much of a line. All the boys knew was...they could get a haircut. Which they really really wanted (and needed). What they didn't know about was...

Pixie Dust!

The "Before Picture"

Next.....

Pixie Dust, a lime green mickey head...MORE parades (TWIRL Mania) and finally! A RIDE!!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #34
OneTreeHillAddict
CNC Photography of Myrtle Beach, SC

I'm in! We're staying at the cabins again in Nov/Dec. Can't wait. I already noted a special cleaning after my last visit. Dust free those babies are going to be a lot of fun!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #35
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTreeHillAddict View Post
I'm in! We're staying at the cabins again in Nov/Dec. Can't wait. I already noted a special cleaning after my last visit. Dust free those babies are going to be a lot of fun!
A special cleaning? We had no dust and incredible mousekeeping..

Oh wait...pixie dust! ???? in that case I hope you are NOT dust free. lol.

Last edited by eandesmom; 04-14-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #36
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Pixie Dust!

Ok, a little backstory here.

My kids LOVE to get their hair cut. I'm not sure why but they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And they needed one. Big time. I'd planned to do it before they left and had originally booked them for a "cool dude" at DTD's BBB but when I found out about the Main Street Barber, I cancelled it.

Scrooge was happy about that, he didn't want to be tied to heading to DTD for boy glitter lol. So I had mentioned to the boys that they could get a cut at MK and they had been asking...when when when...since we arrived. I'd made them leave their hats in scrooges backpack (visions of them being forgotten at the barbers) and as you can see, it was bright! Wall-E is squinting away. He isn't unhappy, just blinded by the sun. It was a GORGEOUS day!

Check out their hair...yikes!

Scrooge is calling and texting as they head over to try and get on Thunder Mountain. All the lines are pretty bad, 60 minutes+ and no FP's. They then get stopped by celebrations and are kind of stuck. He's not happy. Tink and I had seen the front end of it before we met them at their lunch and I couldn't believe it was the same parade but who knows.

The line had increased by the time we got to the MSB. For those who are not familiar with it, it's a basic barber shop, with 2 CM's giving haircuts and pixie dust and a truly magical 1st haircut for babies. We got to watch 2 of those, one of the babies slept thru the entire cut! They each got a first set of ears embroidered with my first haircut, and a special certificate.

After the babies, a dad was up. He had a cut, and then a BOUQUET OF ROSES created on the back of his head! It was very very cool. I should have taken a picture. His kids were up next, for girls they would do an updo of some sort (one pony or 2 pigtails) and then get them with the pixie dust, boys would get a cut and then pixie dust. After those kids were done we still had a 19 year old and an older man in front of us. The kids were pretty patient and happy to be out of the sun during this.

Waiting in the shop...

Pretty soon we realized we had some live entertainment outside our window. Twirl Mania!

The boys were not all that into it, far more fun to play in the chair and watch other people get their cuts.

Finally it was our turn! I think we waited about 30 minutes, not too bad!

First up, Goofy.

The Barber. I was SOOOOOO impressed with the barbers as stylists. Goofy wanted a buzz cut so not a big deal. Wall-E on the other hand has tricky, nightmare hair and likes a little boy cut (precision) that is hard to get right and can be a disaster. These guys took their time to get it right and were so entertaining and friendly, you can tell they love their job.

Next....Pixie Dust! Goofy requested "lime green" so the mixed up a special blend to create the color, just for him.

A little on the top

Followed by a liberal sprinking of pixie dust

and...

A Hidden Mickey!

One happy little boy. He will be stopping at MSB for the rest of his life. I am convinced. He will be the dad getting a bouquet of roses on the back of his head. I love it!

Next up. Wall-E

We could NOT convince Wall-E to get dusted. He had a bad bad experience with colored hair spray a couple of years ago (sensitive skin, super dry scalp, BAD reaction). not good. Since then, no go on the color. Tried to convince him it was gel, not spray and it'd be fine, but no dice.

These big girls were all for it though!

Finally....two MUCH better looking little boys!

After we came out from the barber, guess what, Celebrations parade. AGAIN!

Scrooge was stuck too, just coming out of Pirates. We agreed to head over to the Haunted Mansion and meet them there.

Here's a few pictures of Celebrations. The boys were not that into it, until they saw goofy. They LOVE Goofy.

Next....Off to meet up with the rest of the gang, first ride of the day and....

THE FIRST MICKEY BAR!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #37
msce2
DIS Veteran

The boys look so handsome with their new haircuts!!! I love the Mickey in green!!! We are planning to take DS (2) for his first haircut. I'm not sure he will go for the paint and glitter though. Hoping he won't scream!!!

I just got caught up on the rest of your TR. That stinks that they changed the times of all the fireworks!!! I mean I know it's within their right to do so, but it just makes it so hard for all of us who have planned for months to make sure we got to see them. It's one of my biggest fears because we are a party of 9, and it would be impossible to get new ADR's for anything.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Me(31) DH(33) DS(11) DD(7) DS(4)

AKV - Jan 2011
BLT - June 2010
BCV - May 2009
BCV - May 2003
Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #38
Stefy
Fantasising of our next DCL & WDW Trip

Hi, just thought I would pop on over. Great start and enjoying reading your report

Until I read this I did not know you could pixie dust your hair at the barbers, I am so there next year

Can't wait to read more
Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #39
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
Hi, just thought I would pop on over. Great start and enjoying reading your report

Until I read this I did not know you could pixie dust your hair at the barbers, I am so there next year

Can't wait to read more
Thanks for popping over! I've been rather behind on it as I keep trying to con folks into a trip for next fall but...I don't think it's going to happen.

I'm hoping one of these days to go with just my siblings and we would be ALL over it! The girls anway...one of my brothers shaves his head so...maybe just a mickey for him! LOL!

Not going to work this fall, sadly. The barbers were amazing, there was one set of girls who popped in and didn't have time to wait so they just sprayed the heck out of them with hairspray and sprinkled away on the pixie dust. Didn't even charge them! It is one of the best deals there, even if you are paying!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #40
Stefy

Well it makes it all the more exciting for next year as you have that to look forward to, didn't you say you wanted to go for 2010, how cool would it be if we were there at the same time

I don't know if I could go nuts and let them spray away, as I am v picky with my hair. How much do they charge? Also, do they do close shaves with real barber straps or strops (don't know the name of them)?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #41
ckdsnynt
DIS Veteran

Your kids are precious! I know, the girls probably don't want to be called that due to their teenage years!
Okay, silly question. Can or will they do adultsat the barbershop? I mean put the hair up and dust it with pixie dust/sparkles? I had a very neglected childhood and now I love to dress up Would absolutely love to have this before the huge Dis meet on May 17 in epcot!
Do you know?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #42
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Well it makes it all the more exciting for next year as you have that to look forward to, didn't you say you wanted to go for 2010, how cool would it be if we were there at the same time

I don't know if I could go nuts and let them spray away, as I am v picky with my hair. How much do they charge? Also, do they do close shaves with real barber straps or strops (don't know the name of them)?
I'm not sure how much they charge to just "dust" you (which is colored gel and the pixie dust, and for a girl, putting it into the pony tail). For a haircut it was $14 and that included the "dust".

I have no idea if they do a "real" shave. My DH would actually get into that if they do, might have to check into that.

We are for sure going 2010 (I think!), turns out my MIL's husband (DH's stepdad I guess although they married in their 50's so that sounds weird) is a huge WDW fan and the plan is to go with them, for F&W in 2010. Going to try to hit the Free Dining overlap, if there is one. So it'll be last week of Sept/1st of Oct ish! Dh would rather wait until 2011 but his mom and I can overrule! We won't have all 4 kids though, just the younger 2.

We hit F&W on accident 4 years ago but the younger ones were 4&5 and we didn't really get to do much other than enjoy the food and wine. Which was amazing! I think I visited New Zealand every night. Ever since I've wanted to go back and really "do" it, checking out the seminars, cookbooks, whatever and my MIL is completely into that! I also feel like I've never (despite 4 visits) really "gotten" to do the WS as it is more adult. This would let me do that. SOOOO excited!

I'm hoping we can get a 2Bvilla at BWI or BC but they are hard to come by, if not it will probably be BLT. I'd LOVE to stay in a Treehouse (and they cost less!) but convenience will win out for that group plus for dining reasons if we can't be at an Epcot resort, I want monorail! Plus MIL is a "deluxe" resort kind of gal lol, and I can't quite picture here in a Treehouse, and definitely not the cabins (much as we loved them, it just isn't for the in-laws). Plus....her hubby SNORES! LOL!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #43
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdsnynt View Post
Your kids are precious! I know, the girls probably don't want to be called that due to their teenage years!
Okay, silly question. Can or will they do adultsat the barbershop? I mean put the hair up and dust it with pixie dust/sparkles? I had a very neglected childhood and now I love to dress up Would absolutely love to have this before the huge Dis meet on May 17 in epcot!
Do you know?
Yes! they did tons of adults while we were there, maybe more adults than kids! Let me think. While we were there we saw...

2 babies (cuts and ears)
1 9yo-ish girl (pony and pixie dust)
1 5yo-ish boy (cut and pixie dust - mickey head)
1 man in his 40's (cut and elaborate rose pixie dust)
1 man in his 60's (cut only)
3 girls in their 20's (up do and pixie dust)
1 teen (19 or so) (cut and pixie dust - mickey head)

and then my boys.

For the girls they did mostly "stripes" of the colored gel (and they have or will mix any color you could possibly want) on the top part of the head where the hair was pulled tight. Unless you had a close cropped cut the mickey heads or whatever really wouldn't work on girls hair.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #44
Stefy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'm not sure how much they charge to just "dust" you (which is colored gel and the pixie dust, and for a girl, putting it into the pony tail). For a haircut it was $14 and that included the "dust".

I have no idea if they do a "real" shave. My DH would actually get into that if they do, might have to check into that.

We are for sure going 2010 (I think!), turns out my MIL's husband (DH's stepdad I guess although they married in their 50's so that sounds weird) is a huge WDW fan and the plan is to go with them, for F&W in 2010. Going to try to hit the Free Dining overlap, if there is one. So it'll be last week of Sept/1st of Oct ish! Dh would rather wait until 2011 but his mom and I can overrule! We won't have all 4 kids though, just the younger 2.

We hit F&W on accident 4 years ago but the younger ones were 4&5 and we didn't really get to do much other than enjoy the food and wine. Which was amazing! I think I visited New Zealand every night. Ever since I've wanted to go back and really "do" it, checking out the seminars, cookbooks, whatever and my MIL is completely into that! I also feel like I've never (despite 4 visits) really "gotten" to do the WS as it is more adult. This would let me do that. SOOOO excited!

I'm hoping we can get a 2Bvilla at BWI or BC but they are hard to come by, if not it will probably be BLT. I'd LOVE to stay in a Treehouse (and they cost less!) but convenience will win out for that group plus for dining reasons if we can't be at an Epcot resort, I want monorail! Plus MIL is a "deluxe" resort kind of gal lol, and I can't quite picture here in a Treehouse, and definitely not the cabins (much as we loved them, it just isn't for the in-laws). Plus....her hubby SNORES! LOL!
Am so gonna try that out next year :D

I heard about the treehouses, hope you get lucky (fingers crossed for you). Your MIL could always stay in one of the rooms and yourself and the others could stay in the treehouse :D
Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #45
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Am so gonna try that out next year :D

I heard about the treehouses, hope you get lucky (fingers crossed for you). Your MIL could always stay in one of the rooms and yourself and the others could stay in the treehouse :D
\

Well, we will see. I'd rather we were all in one villa and the others would be better for F&W but it will just depend on what we can get. She'd probably pick the main SSR or OKW though, both of which I have zero desire to stay at. She's a GF kind of gal. LOL! If I can't get into BC, BLT is the best compromise I think.

But...I promise you this. Someday, I WILL stay in a treehouse! lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: