Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #301
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I read that as $5000 minimum for food and drink - don't know what they consider minimum. Full bar would probably be more. Food would be still more. The event I went to had a buffet and all 8 performers and must have cost a fortune.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #302
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I didn't read Bob's prices as being anywhere near $1500

$1000 gets you the venue and a couple of bouncer CMs

+$5000 gets you food and drink as well.

+$???? gets you the talent...I'm guessing that's what gets you to $10k, to get most of the actors.
You are roughly correct.
I am still not opposed to booking the club, but I will now have to find 100 of my closest internet buds that are willing to cough up a c-note... All on the same date that I am there!!

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #303
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maistre Gracey View Post
You are roughly correct.
I am still not opposed to booking the club, but I will now have to find 100 of my closest internet buds that are willing to cough up a c-note... All on the same date that I am there!!

MG
Yeah, a C-note is tough to swallow, even for a private AC showing with food and drink. Although if its open bar...

Get 200, and that cuts it to $50, a bit more palatable...what's the library capacity exactly?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #304
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I read that as $5000 minimum for food and drink - don't know what they consider minimum. Full bar would probably be more. Food would be still more. The event I went to had a buffet and all 8 performers and must have cost a fortune.
Yes.. You can use that 5k however you see fit between food & bar, but as you say that is a minimum.
To put on a good show will be around 10g's. I would consider this package if we could drum up 100 people willing to pay $100. That would include the first 5 grand of food & drink..

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #305
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maistre Gracey View Post
Yes.. You can use that 5k however you see fit between food & bar, but as you say that is a minimum.
To put on a good show will be around 10g's. I would consider this package if we could drum up 100 people willing to pay $100. That would include the first 5 grand of food & drink..
Sorry if the prices I quoted were confusing to you. That's why I said what they're offering is expensive! I have my doubts that this way of livening up the island is going to accomplish much. I did not write down the AC capacity and I see you're working off 100 guests. That is indeed $100 per person. However, you could have $5K in drink tickets which would be $50 per person which is a LOT of drinks for those in attendance. Too much, in fact. So maybe you have $25 in drink tickets and allow for finger foods. Makes the $100 entry fee more palatable and perhaps you'd find 100 people willing to do it.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #306
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Do it as a commercial venture during something like gay days and you could easily MAKE money..

Heck.. open Motion playing 8Trax music... I'd be shocked and appalled if you didn't hit 10k at the bar alone.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #307
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

edited for privacy

Last edited by zulemara; 02-09-2009 at 08:33 PM.
zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #308
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
I did not write down the AC capacity and I see you're working off 100 guests. That is indeed $100 per person. However, you could have $5K in drink tickets which would be $50 per person which is a LOT of drinks for those in attendance. Too much, in fact. So maybe you have $25 in drink tickets and allow for finger foods. Makes the $100 entry fee more palatable and perhaps you'd find 100 people willing to do it.

BobK/Orlando
For present itents and purposes, the Library capacity is the Club capacity (at $100 a ticket I best see the Balderdash Cup again!). So 100 people in classic table seating, I think 140 or 150 if they kept the theater seating.

Honestly, I could probably find 100 people to pony up the cash for another night--I know a lot of Adventurers. The biggest drawback--the thing that killed at least two Halloween parties last October--is that you need someone with $10,000 up front who doesn't mind waiting to be paid back (and risking that he might now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post
Do it as a commercial venture during something like gay days and you could easily MAKE money..

Heck.. open Motion playing 8Trax music... I'd be shocked and appalled if you didn't hit 10k at the bar alone.
This thought has also crossed my mind as I watch the hoards of dressed up people wander past Laffers with confused looks. Two potential hurdles: (1) I imagine there must be some clause in the WDW contract that forbids this. (2) It wouldn't take long to get on Orange County's radar, and then you better hope you have the proper licenses, permits, et al (you could coast on WDW's liquor license--probably--but who knows what else you would need).

I think a better option would be to run it as a charity event, giving all "profit" away. You'd get a lot more leeway. I suspect this is why the "Con-galoosh" was set up as a charitable entity, to avoid these issues.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #309
zulemara

All are good questions to ask the disney rep. I would be willing to pony up money for BET and Motion for gay days.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #310
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I think a better option would be to run it as a charity event, giving all "profit" away. You'd get a lot more leeway. I suspect this is why the "Con-galoosh" was set up as a charitable entity, to avoid these issues.
This had crossed my mind too as it might avoid having to charge sales tax on ticket sales. But if I'm going to risk $10K of my own money, I'd like the chance to profit too if its successful. But right now I just think the prices they are charging to rent any of the 3 clubs is way too high.

I checked my paperwork from my 2002 rental of 8TRAX. Yes, that was just over 6 years ago but get this: the DJ fee was $800. Now they're seeking $3000 for similar sized Soundstage. That's a +275% increase. There is no justification for such pricing. Sure, they can do what they want, it's their club. But except for AC, there are other clubs out there too.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #311
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
at $100 a ticket I best see the Balderdash Cup again!
yeah, but who'd win?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #312
zulemara

Quote:
This had crossed my mind too as it might avoid having to charge sales tax on ticket sales. But if I'm going to risk $10K of my own money, I'd like the chance to profit too if its successful. But right now I just think the prices they are charging to rent any of the 3 clubs is way too high.

I checked my paperwork from my 2002 rental of 8TRAX. Yes, that was just over 6 years ago but get this: the DJ fee was $800. Now they're seeking $3000 for similar sized Soundstage. That's a +275% increase. There is no justification for such pricing. Sure, they can do what they want, it's their club. But except for AC, there are other clubs out there too.

BobK/Orlando
That is because they know they can get away with it. What gets me is how they could be charging even more for Mannequins and they are throwing it away!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #313
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
yeah, but who'd win?
Ideally Emil Sr. would finally get his due.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #314
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:

BobK/Orlando
I don't see why Disney would have a problem with you earning a profit from an event you hold at one of their rented locations. The promoters who rent out Typhoon Lagoon and Disney's Hollywood Studios every year for Gay Days sure aren't giving their profits to charity. So there is a precedent for the model you're talking about. I say go for it.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #315
whodini
Mouseketeer

I had my wedding welcome reception at the AC in November 2007 for 90 people. Just as a point of reference, here's how the expenses broke down.

Venue Package - $500
Schmooze Package - $2000
Library Show - $500
Of those, only the Venue itself is taxable

Hot Hors D'oeuvres (I think a selection of 3) - $15pp
Antipasta Display - $13.50pp
2.5 hours beer/wine open bar - $20.50pp
Sode & Water package for kids/non-drinkers - $13.50pp
You pay the previously mentioned service charge & tax on all of those.

All together it was ~ $8,500 for 2.5 hours which included 1 library show at the end.
whodini is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: