Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #151
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post
And that Spoodles menu looks soooooo gooooood.
Can I just say..... Chocolate-Apricot-Pistachio Cake
Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

Old 01-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #152
EllaEnchanted
iDIS...resistance is futile!
Champagne Girls Rule!

Hey Guys are we going to have an old geezer meet up at the Cove Cafe one night too??? I would also love for a group of us to get together and do that. Who's up for it?
Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life...love gives us a fairy tale.

Devout Co-Founding Member of THE CHAMPAGNE GIRLS! ... GET YOUR PINK ON!

Upcoming DIS Cruises
PLATINUM-15 cruises completed; Southern Caribbean 10/4/14 next; We moved near the mouse YAY!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #153
ibouncetoo
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Oh Deb, you'll probably find all of the "R" family in there at night...well, depending on the 'adult' shows it might not be till a little later.

I missed the 'midnight dessert buffet' on the WBPC...don't even know what night it was...probably one of the ones I went straight to bed after dinner.
Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

Old 01-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #154
EllaEnchanted
Champagne Girls Rule!

Quote:
Oh Deb, you'll probably find all of the "R" family in there at night...well, depending on the 'adult' shows it might not be till a little later.

You mean at the Cove Cafe??? What time did they have the old geezer meets on the PC cruise? I never made it to any of them but I wanted to. I know they had a good time.

I missed the 'midnight dessert buffet' on the WBPC...don't even know what night it was...probably one of the ones I went straight to bed after dinner.
John went to the midnight dessert buffet and took pictures. I have them if you would like to see what you missed....hahahaha
Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life...love gives us a fairy tale.

Upcoming DIS Cruises
PLATINUM-15 cruises completed; Southern Caribbean 10/4/14 next; We moved near the mouse YAY!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #155
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaEnchanted View Post

Thanks so much Donna, Kathe, Jackie and Jan.

Jackie, YES it's definitely a DIS meet!!!

Jan, the legS are both now infected again. Just finished a double batch of antibiotics. Gotta get back to the doctor again soon and see what he says.
So SORRY

Stay on top of it! We need you healthy before September! Whatever the MDs say--do it all.

Jan
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #156
EllaEnchanted
Champagne Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSE50 View Post
So SORRY

Stay on top of it! We need you healthy before September! Whatever the MDs say--do it all.

Jan

Oh I definitely will. I know that if I ignore them it only gets worse and I end up in the hospital like what happened when my mom died and I could not attend to them properly. They got worse and after her funeral, I went into the hospital. It was horrible! I don't want to go back there again. I'm doing my best. I just don't understand why they won't heal and why they get worse again after being better. It's coming up on two years this spring since this started. Sometimes I think they won't ever heal.

Upcoming DIS Cruises
Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #157
pit303
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Hi Jackie, Good day to you!!!

I'm trying for Sunday Sept 13 to do the Champagne Girls. It's a sea day with the following day a sea day also. We'll set it for 2pm this time so that people will be able to make their 6pm committments.

It's a good idea to check with the April cruisers to find out the specifics about evening themes and attire. But I think if we can get Diversions for that time and date, I'll keep it scheduled for then. I like Diversions better than Sessions so I'll try to get that space. I'm getting excited.
Just remember in Sept on a Sunday afternoon FOOTBALL Games at Diversions on all the TV's
Old 01-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #158
EllaEnchanted
Champagne Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit303 View Post
Just remember in Sept on a Sunday afternoon FOOTBALL Games at Diversions on all the TV's

Thanks Maureen for reminding me. I did forget. The last Champagne Girls was in May so it was not football season. But you're right so it looks like we might have to move to Rockin Bar D or someplace. We'll have to see what DCL says as we get closer. Thanks for the heads up though.

Upcoming DIS Cruises
Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #159
NotSoLittleMermaid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
Also, now that I'm engaging in this voyage.

I shall soon start to post my requirements for acceptable social intercourse.
Now hearing THAT is enough to get me engaged in this voyage!

Quote:
I post technology alerts on another cruise thread. A trip a took with a bunch of riffraff through the Panama Canal.

I thought that I would share my overwhelming wisdom here as well.

And so, gentle reader, without much further ado:

Technology Alert

OK, I have stumbled across something really cool from Sony that is going on the market very soon:

Webbie HD

It's a Hi-Def video camera that records to a memory stick. You can fit up to 5 hours on a 16GB stick. The camera weighs, 7 oz.

The best part? The price of Webbie HD - $199

Webbie HD
This really looks cool! I might have to budget for one of these. Wouldn't it have been great the day we went through the PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katypop View Post
Hi Cheri. So glad you've checked in! How are you?

Kathe
Trying to get over a cold but basically just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRN1 View Post
I learned a valuable lesson about patience while I was healing, not to mention a renewed (sympathy) & admiration for everyone who has struggles like that everyday and manages.

I had the same experience when I was in a wheelchair/on crutches while on my first cruise. Very humbling and a very good lesson I haven't forgotten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLittleMermaid View Post

Hi! I'm here! Cheri, age 59 (at the moment), late dining, FE, looking forward to 3 weeks with some of my favorite people!!!

Hi Cheri!!! We came very close to visiting Arizona in Feb. It would have been way down in Tucson for the jewelry show, but we would have traveled around the state some. We had to change our plans because Greg's having surgery in a couple of weeks. We are going to Vegas instead in April.
I hope everything is OK with Greg. Good to hear from you! Maybe another time (AZ)--

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmaz View Post
We are now on the WB Transatlantic in 2010. We made the decision to cancel the Baltic and do that instead. Hard decision, but the TA is half the price for 2 more days.

Have to work out the dreaded one way airfares though.
How many of us are on the WB? I booked that, too, in Dec.

Quote:
OMG! Cheri was awake at 4:something AM! Oh wait....she probably hadn't gone to bed yet.
Unfortunately no, I went to bed about midnight but then woke up at 3:30 a.m. and was awake for about 3 hrs.

Quote:

I'm trying for Sunday Sept 13 to do the Champagne Girls. It's a sea day with the following day a sea day also. We'll set it for 2pm this time so that people will be able to make their 6pm committments.

It's a good idea to check with the April cruisers to find out the specifics about evening themes and attire. But I think if we can get Diversions for that time and date, I'll keep it scheduled for then. I like Diversions better than Sessions so I'll try to get that space. I'm getting excited.
I'll be sure to have my Tink outfit pressed and ready to go!!

Quote:
OK, I am beginning to engage in this trip.

Who interested in:

Shots Around the Ship
A Stem to Stern Extravaganza

And more importantly, what night should it be held on?

Let me know. I'll be in my office.
Quote:
Hey Guys are we going to have an old geezer meet up at the Cove Cafe one night too??? I would also love for a group of us to get together and do that. Who's up for it?
OG and GIT, baby!! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

The AZ Cardinals are ahead of the Carolina Panthers 27 to 7! Can they hold on to the lead for 2 more quarters?????
Old 01-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #160
ibouncetoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoLittleMermaid View Post

Unfortunately no, I went to bed about midnight but then woke up at 3:30 a.m. and was awake for about 3 hrs.

The AZ Cardinals are ahead of the Carolina Panthers 27 to 7! Can they hold on to the lead for 2 more quarters?????

I've been experienceing the same problem lately.

How about those Cardinals?!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #161
granmaz
Dis Veteran and Old Geezer

Quote:

Whe should do an old geezer and git group. I know Donna was originally going to head it up.

I think we met at 10pm, so time for those who still want to party to go after!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #162
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

Quote:

Yea, it's been a slow going new year but hopefully we have gotten it all out of our system and will return to health and happiness.

Quote:

I LOVE Barbados. It's my favorite Carribbean Island. So sorry you had to cancel. At least you're able to start planning your April WDW trip. It won't be long now. What dates will you be there???
Yes, it's our fave too... Unfortunately this is the 3rd time we've had to cancel a trip due to DH's work thing so I'm going to have to put the charms of the island to the back of my mind for a while...

As for April, we actually fly out on March 31st, stay 10 nights at AKV (our first time) and then the final 4 nights at HRH before flying back on April 14th... I am s-l-o-w-l-y getting our plans sorted and so far the highlights include an Illuminations cruise, Fishing excursion, Orlando Magic, Busch Gardens, Victoria & Alberts, Aquatica with cabana, Mardi Gras at Universal - it's going to be the best trip...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
Old 01-11-2009, 05:41 AM   #163
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg3 View Post
I was fortunate to have a wonderful copy of Vogue's Book of Etiquette, copyright 1948, which I got when my grandmother passed away. It is extremely detailed and quite enlightening regarding how "things were done" at the time. I love browsing through it. It is 658 pages long. Some sections are: Manners, Ceremonies & Events, Weddings, Household Customs, Furnishing a House, Entertaining, Correspondence, and Clothes. I can only imagine what something from 1907 would say.
I love old etiquette books. I also love old travelogues, particularly ones written by British people who had visited the US, more because it tells you a lot about the British, since they are commenting about the US.

I find that in old travelogues, the authors end up revealing more about themselves and their own countries and cultures than that of the country they are writing about.

I have one entitled, "You're Welcome!". It was published in August, 1939. Britain declared war on September 3rd.

It is a wonderful travel account. The author is either upper class, or upper middle class.

Particularly of interest is how he criticizes Eleanor Roosevelt, for some perceived slight on his part at a dinner party, and how he goes on for a few pages, negatively criticizes an in a magazine, that took a less than favorable view of Lindbergh's pro-Nazi views.

It reveals much of the authors pro-Nazi views.

All this on the very verge of Britain, declaring war on Germany. It's a fascinating read into the mind of someone from that class, at that point in history.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 AM   #164
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

Quote:
...It reveals much of the authors pro-Nazi views.

All this on the very verge of Britain, declaring war on Germany. It's a fascinating read into the mind of someone from that class, at that point in history.
It is very interesting and here are a few potential reasons why a 'toff' might have had this viewpoint.

Hitler's popularity came partly from his destruction of the German Communist Party. Many people in Britain - not only aristos but middle-class folk too - were very much afraid of a communist revolution. Also, it seemed (until at least 1938) that Hitler had done a good job for Germany. Their experience of the Depression had been more severe than in Britain so when Hitler became Chancellor there were six million unemployed. Seemingly, he had put Germany back to work and restored national pride so the Nazis appeared to offer a successful model.

Of course there was also the lingering memory of the 1914-18 war. That had been terrible, wiping out entire generations of British men, so many were ready to accept Hitler's assurance that he had no desire for war, but wished merely to rectify the injustices of the Versailles Treaty...

And don't forget that the Duke of Windsor (aka Edward VIII) and his wife visited Germany after his abdication and expressed great admiration for what he saw there. His political sympathies were definitely pro-German (given his German background) and probably pro-Nazi. There are even claims he had an agreement with Hitler to be the puppet king of the United Kingdom if the Germans won the war...

And hereby endeth today's lecture...
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
Old 01-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #165
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustardTart View Post
It is very interesting and here are a few potential reasons why a 'toff' might have had this viewpoint.

Hitler's popularity came partly from his destruction of the German Communist Party. Many people in Britain - not only aristos but middle-class folk too - were very much afraid of a communist revolution. Also, it seemed (until at least 1938) that Hitler had done a good job for Germany. Their experience of the Depression had been more severe than in Britain so when Hitler became Chancellor there were six million unemployed. Seemingly, he had put Germany back to work and restored national pride so the Nazis appeared to offer a successful model.

Of course there was also the lingering memory of the 1914-18 war. That had been terrible, wiping out entire generations of British men, so many were ready to accept Hitler's assurance that he had no desire for war, but wished merely to rectify the injustices of the Versailles Treaty...

And don't forget that the Duke of Windsor (aka Edward VIII) and his wife visited Germany after his abdication and expressed great admiration for what he saw there. His political sympathies were definitely pro-German (given his German background) and probably pro-Nazi. There are even claims he had an agreement with Hitler to be the puppet king of the United Kingdom if the Germans won the war...

And hereby endeth today's lecture...
Exactly. That's what makes such things interesting reads. It is unvarnished. It is a view, frozen in time, looking forward, rather than via a rear view mirror.

We know what the future held, but at the time of the writer, it was unknown.

By the way, while we on the subject of "toffs," is the term, "Hooray Henry" still used.

I too am frozen in time.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: