Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
lklasing
When being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

Fun at the Fort - Monday - last day - page 4

Hi everyone! I never know how to best start a trip report, but I guess a little background is always in order. This trip was hatched this past Memorial Day weekend, when my family was at the World with my dad, step-mom and two nephews on that side of the family. We stayed at Fort Wilderness in one of the cabins while my dad and step-mom stayed in their trailer and the kids bounced back and forth between the two. Here is the whole group from the May trip:

It was such a great trip in so many ways, but two primary things jumped out at me – 1. Fort Wilderness is an amazing place to be and the cabins in particular suit our family perfectly (more on why later), and 2. As much fun as WDW is with just our family of four, it's even more fun when you throw more family in the mix. Put those two ideas together, and I was calling my brother-in-law while we were still there to tell him we all needed to come to the World together. His response was perfect – that they needed a good family vacation, so let's do it over Thanksgiving! I convinced him that the FW cabins were the way to go, especially since they have 3 kids, and he took the bait! So, without telling my kids there was any possibility of another trip, I started planning this one as soon as we got back home.

I guess I should fill you in on who all the players are. They are:

Me – I'm a 42 year old big Disney freak. I went several times as a kid, once in college, and then my first time as an adult in May 2003. Each time I've gone, I've grown more in love with being in the World with my family. I work full time, so I really relish the time I get to spend with my family (just like everyone else here at the Dis), and we just love to travel together. So you'll know who everyone is when the pictures start rolling in, I'll post a pic for everyone in this intro part. Here's me:

My DH Ray – 48 years old. Tolerates my Disney obsession very well. He has really come to enjoy being at Disney more over the years as the kids have gotten older and more competent than they were when he first was here with them (they were 6 and 8 then), and really, finding the cabins at FW has helped him enjoy these trips so much more. (Again, more about why the cabins are so right for us in a little bit.) We've been married 15 years and just have a great time together. Ray:

Danielle – our 12 years old DD. Loves the World too, and has a lot of my OCD in her so she's a great help at planning. (Although, we didn't tell them about the trip util about 2 weeks out this time, so she didn't get to help plan as much as usual.) She especially loves being at the World with her cousins around – life really doesn't get any better for her than that. Now that she's in 7th grade, she is at the junior high here, so the trip had to be scheduled to minimize the time away from school. Thankfully, with the holiday, we managed to squeeze a 5 night trip in with her only missing 1 day of school. Here's Danielle:

Jodi – our 10 years old DD. Not at all OCD – just moves through life enjoying most every minute of it. If you asked her what her favorite part of being at the World is, I know she would say, "Getting to be with my family the whole time." While she's 10, she's still a mama's girl big time and I love it. I know life will catch up with her before too long and she'll have bigger interests than just us, but for now I'm loving her loving me. Jodi:

Next, we have the family of my BIL:

Kevin – DH's 42 year old brother. Kevin and I are the same age, and we love giving each other grief. (For my 35th birthday, he called my office and told the receptionist I was 40. ) Kevin is a lot of fun and has lots of energy, so I knew he would be a great guy to tour with. Here's fun-loving Kevin:

Hope – Kevin's wife, slightly younger that the rest of us at 41. She and Kevin have been married 18 years. Hope likes having fun like the rest of us, but also values her sleep. As a result, she and their oldest son David slept in most mornings and met up with us early afternoon. Here's Hope:

David – Kevin and Hope's 14 year old son – a great kid but we didn't get to see him as much as the others as he often slept in while the rest of us headed out to the parks. I think he had a great time, though. David:

Nick – Kevin and Hope's 12 year old son – very athletic, very fun. He was up for anything - the more thrilling the ride, the better. We really enjoyed getting to spend time with him. Nick:

Lynn – Kevin and Hope's 9 year old daughter – she has been good friends with my girls since birth, and they all play together so well. A very sweet girl and always a delight to have around. She spent the night with us several times on the trip and when the group broke into smaller groups, she was always with us, which kept our girls very happy. She even looks a lot like my girls, so when the three girls were together, people thought they were all sisters. Here's Hope:

Like I said earlier, I didn't tell our girls about the trip until about two weeks out. On all previous trips, they've known about it for a year or more, and I thought it would be fun to spring it on them much closer to traveling this time. We actually lined it up for Lynn to tell the girls over the phone, which was lots of fun. Danielle and Jodi were absolutely shocked and thrilled. My only regret on doing it that way was not taking any pictures, as the looks on their faces was priceless.

Up next: Off to the Fort and the MK (with lots of pics, I promise!).

Leslie
WDW Trips: Several as a child with parents and grandparents; June 2003-FW; May 2005-Poly GVC; May 2007-Poly GVC (trip report); May 2008-Fun at FW cabins (trip report); November 2008-Fun at the Fort-Thanksgiving Style (trip report); September 2009-Back to the Fort-Labor Day (trip report); March 2010-Spring Break-lots of pics and FPs (trip report); May 2011-BLT; March 2012 - FW Cabins; August 2012 - DCL Dream!

Last edited by lklasing; 12-20-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
PiperGirlInWondrland
DIS Veteran

Great start, can't wait to read more!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Dallas_Lady
I only work for the vacation money

Great start, I will definitely be reading along. I am considering the cabins for our Thanksgiving trip.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
alan_renfroe
DIS Veteran

Cool! Subscribing!

1200 pics, 1100 miles, 15 deluxe dining meals, 7 days, 6 nights, 1 great time at POR May 29-June 5, 2014 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3289594

Past trip reports:
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report, May 15-22, 2009 - 1500 pictures, dining reviews and DISmeets! - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2187084
Pre-Trip Report for May, 2009 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1884986
First trip report with TONS of pics - May, 2008 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841491
Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
OK GRUMPY
And that is some useless chit chat!
I wonder if they serve Green Beer

Great as alway! I really enjoy the Fort!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
lucy_love
DIS Veteran

subscribed

can't wait to see more

Family cross-country trip, see it here: http://rvtripsdabkowski.com/
My travel and baking blog : http://dessertationblog.blogspot.com/
Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
FlaNative
Mouseketeer

Disney by proxy deja vu all over again

I have not read a Trip Report in several months, today I visit the TR forum, click on one at total random and: Oh. My. Gosh. It's YOU FOLKS again.

I absolutely loved your last TR, it was so complete it was like I was along on the trip. It saved me a ton of money. After I finished it was "Well, no need to go to WDW next week, I feel like I was just there." Great writing, and your pictures document everything so perfectly. The fun you folks have really shows. I'm surprised the Disney advertising people have not starred you in a WDW commercial yet as the Happy Fort Family.

However, one question has been bothering me since your last TR: Just how do you manage to Photoshop every picture so quickly and so perfectly? I refer, of course, to the images of the DD rugrat "Jodi". No One on this planet can possibly have dimples that cute! They just can't be real, you must Photoshop them in!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
lklasing
When being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

Hey everybody - thanks for signing on! But you, FlaNative, are killing me! You are so sweet with your comments, both about my last TR and of course about Jodi's dimples! Yes, there will definitely be a lot of dimple sightings in this report again.

I've got the next installment ready to go, but am trying to wait to see if my Photopass CD arrives tomorrow. It shipped yesterday and I paid for express shipping, so I'm crossing my fingers it will get here. I love some of the Photopass pics, so I'm hoping I can work them in while I post, rather than after the fact. But, if it doesn't get here tomorrow, I'll probably give in and at least posted get the first entry that involves the actual trip.

Stay tuned!

Leslie
WDW Trips: Several as a child with parents and grandparents; June 2003-FW; May 2005-Poly GVC; May 2007-Poly GVC (trip report); May 2008-Fun at FW cabins (trip report); November 2008-Fun at the Fort-Thanksgiving Style (trip report); September 2009-Back to the Fort-Labor Day (trip report); March 2010-Spring Break-lots of pics and FPs (trip report); May 2011-BLT; March 2012 - FW Cabins; August 2012 - DCL Dream!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
MeMom
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty sure I saw you in front of the Mexico pavilion on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I saw three girls, I think, and they called out your name as you walked past them at the Cantina. Then you took a picture of them and you guys left. It was about two minutes in real time. I was contemplating walking up to you to speak, but I was afraid I might be wrong. As you walked away, I saw a LGMH on your bag, so I'm thinking my initial thought was right and it was you.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
poohbearluver
Someday I'll be part of your world

Hi there! I can't wait to read more!
I'm also 10, like your daughter!
I'm subscribing to this!

grace
tumblr
Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #11
lklasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw you in front of the Mexico pavilion on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I saw three girls, I think, and they called out your name as you walked past them at the Cantina. Then you took a picture of them and you guys left. It was about two minutes in real time. I was contemplating walking up to you to speak, but I was afraid I might be wrong. As you walked away, I saw a LGMH on your bag, so I'm thinking my initial thought was right and it was you.
Oh my gosh - that was so us! I can't believe you saw us. We were there on Saturday, ate lunch at the CS at Mexico, then I went inside trying (in vain) to find a restroom, and when I came out the girls hollered my name and I took this picture:

I can't believe you saw us! I wish we had spoken! You'll probably see this picture again in the TR, which I'm still holding off on the next installment hoping my CD comes in the next day or so, but I had to post the picture now since you actually saw it being taken!

I very much wish we had gotten to meet. I trust you had as wonderful a trip as we did. It's such a magical place to be!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
lklasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbearluver View Post
Hi there! I can't wait to read more!
I'm also 10, like your daughter!
I'm subscribing to this!
Welcome, poohbearluver! DD10 Jodi will be glad to hear you're enjoying the report!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
emmababy
DIS Veteran

we are going next Thanksgiving, so I am looking forward to your trippie!
SSR- August 2011

DVC HHI- June 2012
Old 12-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

just found your report and jumping in to read along.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:00 AM   #15
DisKate
DIS Veteran

Hi! Your family looks like you have a ton of fun together! Can't wait to read more about your trip!

Me:Katie (25) DBF:Patrick (25) Ty (14+) Simon (2+)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: