Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #181
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Thumbs up Mickey's Hand is back in MY pocket - DH's Defense!|Day02 #5 - OHANA!!! woo!

Originally Posted by TyRy
After parking a million miles away even though the half of the front lot was completely empty we finally make it to the Poly about 15 minutes after our ADR time. Thankfully they would still seat us.

OH MY LORD!
My knee was still hurting bad this early in the trip.
And let me tell you: There is nothing like hoofing it out in pain,
and watching the tram pass you by, folks sitting in comfort, enjoying the ride!
..."D'oh!"
'twas bad enuff my back was really sore to begin with, but to hurt my knee running up the stairs to catch the cab on the way to Disney was just plain torturous!~

By Day 03 I purchased one of those cheap knee braces...

and I was virtually healed by Day 04... <whew!>

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

We waited probably about ten minutes for our pager to go off and then we were shown to our table in the main dining room.

In the absence of the Contemporary's Outer Rim Lounge...

...the Ohana bar (no pics )may be becoming my 2nd favorite bar at DisneyWorld, 1st being the Territory Lounge @ Wilderness Lodge,
click to enlarge
...no question (great drinks, best atmosphere).

=-=-=-=-=-=

While we weren’t sitting at the windows, we were the next row in and had a great view of the MK and the Castle. Which we have no pictures of!!!

THIS is why I love OHANA so much. You can get a perfect view of the MK and the gorgeous Polynesian spread. I remember yearning to go here back in 2000 while walking the grounds,
looking up at the smoke-tinted forward-angled windows (like those of an air traffic control tower),
...seeing folks enjoying their food, looking out at the resort.
I pictured it to be serene, boy was I wrong (and happily so!).

LOOK AT THAT FLAME!!! (Yum!!!)

=-=-=-=-=-=

Chris was our server and I cannot recommend him enough. If you are headed to O’Hana soon, be sure to ask for him..he was probably the best waiter we had during the trip. Here’s a pic with him in the background:

He was good, but not that great. TyRy just had a crush on him LOL!

DH orders a beer, and I order something else I had been looking forward to – a Lapu Lapu.

Yes! Finally a half way decent beer at Disney! (can't remember the ones at that Boardwalk brewery, though (too long ago, need to return ))...
Thirsty just lookin' at it...

BUT...that Lapu Lapu was unreal. Next time I'm making a point of sitting at that bar, slamming a Lapu Lapu down long before dinner. Aww, heck. WHo needs dinner?!

Gotta love that Lapu Lapu light! ...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Since we were in the main dining room, we got to see the Coconut Races and some of the other fun things that were happening.

Adorable!~ This was one time I wouldn't mind having a younger child at Disney. Fun!!!
Check out the video of the Race!

Click to Play ! Click to Play ! Click to Play ! Click to Play ! Click to Play ! Click to Play !

Last edited by 312.Duck; 11-11-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #182
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Smile Mickey's Hand is back in MY pocket - DH's Defense!|Day02 #6 - Ohana dessert pt. 2

Dessert...can someone explain why, in the restaurant we had arguably our best time in, with decent food and good dessert, we would look so darn mad eating it up?? LOL!

...me stuffing Bananas Foster down my throat...but seriously, I loved it!

mAD mARK

And something must've interrupted TyRy,
cuz all of a sudden she looks up and gives a mean stare out the window...
(VIDEO BELOW- CLICK TO PLAY)

mAD tyRy ................(clearer on the home vid)

She probably heard something and was ready to defend the Castle~

Click here to see TyRy's Dis binder growth over time...
< "Miss you, mom."
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #183
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Smile

Just wanted to throw in an Ohana video,

showing the grille flaming away...

"Yum!"
Old 11-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #184
Tinkerbellcrafter
DH & DD getting tagged by Dreammakers after me!!

[QUOTE=312.Duck;28668099][I][COLOR=black][U] Since we were in the main dining room, we got to see the Coconut Races and some of the other fun things that were happening.

Great video of the race. DD8 always does the one at Whispering Canyon Cafe.. " The Pony Trot!" We are headed to the Lua on our trip in December..first time to eat at the POLY

1983 Disneyland, 1985 - offsite, WL-9/1995(Honeymoon), CB-09/04, VWL-7/05, WL-9/05(10th Anniversary), POR-2/06, OKW-8/06, CB-12/06, BWV-5/07, OKW-7/07, POR-12/07, SSR- 4/08, OKW- 8/08, SSR- 12/08, VB/AKV- 2/09, THV- 6/09, BCV-10/09, SSR-12/09, AKV-3/10, Fort Wilderness/VB/Disney Wonder/WL 8/10 to 9/10-15th Anniversary, Adult only SSR-12/10, The Fort-3/11, FW/DDream/BWV-9/11, FtWilderness 12/11, Treehouse villas5/2012, WL, DisneyDream & AKV 9/2012, AKV/SSR 12/2013
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #185
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Almost Home!

Today dawned really early and I was out the door around 7:30am to go and check-in at AKV. I used one of the quick exits DH detailed as we parked in the lot right by the bus stop the night before. That was a really quick way to the car. Anyway, I don’t know why I still have in my head that the earlier I check in the better chance I have at getting what I’ve requested. So I pull up with a great feeling of anticipation, I valeted the car (LOVE THAT!) and ran inside. The first thing to hit me was that awesome wood burning smell, which if I now smell anywhere else instantly reminds me of the AKV . And for some reason, it just seems to be so relaxing once you walk in. Well, at least most of the time, I was on a mission and that mission was to get checked in so I could get back to BWV and enjoy our last couple of hours there There was only one other person in line, so I got through pretty quickly. Our room was not ready (big shock!) so it was back to BWV. For some reason, the lot I had just left was suddenly blocked off and I could not get back into it, oh well, off to the Valet I go

DH was still asleep, so I finished packing and waited for him to get up. Once he did and we were ready to go, we grabbed everything and walked to get the car from the valet. Figured that would be quicker than waiting for Bell Services on a Sunday morning. Since the Chicago Bears were not playing until later tonight our original plan today was to go to the outlet mall, but since we had already done that and were not going to go down that path again , we headed to DTD instead since we had not been there yet. It was the morning after the last night for Pleasure Island, so it was kinda sad to walk through part of it (they had a big part blocked off) and remember how much fun it used to be. We had not been back after they opened it to everyone to walk through…it just lost part of its fun for us. But it was still sad

Since we had not had breakfast and had no plans until dinner we decided to see if we could get into Raglan Road. I walked up and asked if they could seat us (wasn’t even noon yet) and they said no problem. We were seated right away and the restaurant was pretty much empty and seemed to stay that way throughout our lunch.

I haven’t seen a ton of pics of the inside, so here are a few:

DH started off with a beer flight and I had just a pop.

I did try the beers, one I liked and one tasted like burnt wood, which DH just happened to get a pic of me tasting:

DH ordered the Keen Eye for the Shepherds Pie

and I had the Fada Burger minus the cheese.

DH thought his Shepherds Pie was on the small side, but my burger was huge and delicious. I ended up giving him part of it. For dessert DH ordered Gert’s Bread and Butter Pudding. I only had a taste which was yummy, but I think DH enjoyed it.

After that it was off to the Candy and Christmas store to spend my rewards card which was burning a hole in my pocket. I picked up a couple of small things at the Candy store and then hit the Christmas Store. A store I can spend hours in and would be willing to sell DH off for just so I could buy more Christmas things. See – we are Christmas crazy at our house. DH will probably say that I am the crazy one, which I freely admit to being, but he does help. Afterall – he has to decorate the whole outside while I take care of the inside. And just so you know who you are dealing with, here’s a pic of our house at Christmas time:

You understand now right

So my arms are full of things to purchase (I could not find anywhere one of those little baskets!) when DIL’s call to say they are arriving and where should they meet us? Ummm, we had to call them back because we had not called the AKV to see if our room was ready yet...
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
Old 11-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #186
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Wow you do like your Christmas lights Over here it's only really been the last few years that people have decorated the outside of houses
Old 11-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #187
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Wow you do like your Christmas lights Over here it's only really been the last few years that people have decorated the outside of houses
Yep - and now once we convert all to LED's we'll be able to string even more togther...there are a few bare spaces that need covering
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #188
Tinkerbellcrafter

You need to go to DHS during Osbourne lights! Your house reminded me of them! :-)

1983 Disneyland, 1985 - offsite, WL-9/1995(Honeymoon), CB-09/04, VWL-7/05, WL-9/05(10th Anniversary), POR-2/06, OKW-8/06, CB-12/06, BWV-5/07, OKW-7/07, POR-12/07, SSR- 4/08, OKW- 8/08, SSR- 12/08, VB/AKV- 2/09, THV- 6/09, BCV-10/09, SSR-12/09, AKV-3/10, Fort Wilderness/VB/Disney Wonder/WL 8/10 to 9/10-15th Anniversary, Adult only SSR-12/10, The Fort-3/11, FW/DDream/BWV-9/11, FtWilderness 12/11, Treehouse villas5/2012, WL, DisneyDream & AKV 9/2012, AKV/SSR 12/2013
Old 11-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #189
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellcrafter View Post
You need to go to DHS during Osbourne lights! Your house reminded me of them! :-)
I've ALWAYS wanted to go during that time of year - I've actually seen them during the day up, but not on. We came close on our 2004 trip as the last day or two we saw some of the holiday decorations. Unfortunately it was cold and now DH has declared we are not going during that time of year cause it's too cold One of these days I'm going to have to just grab a friend an go without him!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #190
TyRy
It is making me nutty

We're finally at our new "Home"

Since the DIL's are now very close we call and check and our room is ready, #5430. So DH decides we can come back later in the week to buy things (again, famous last words ) so he makes me put it all down so we can go meet up with them at AKV. As soon as we get to the car, I make DH pop the trunk so I can get out my teeny tiny binder for this trip. I wanted to cross-reference our room number with notes I had about all the AKV rooms and was happy that it had really nothing bad to say about it.

The car ride back to AKV consisted of me having to call AGAIN to get the room number because all of the sudden I thought I had rememered it wrong - I even got the same CM and he laughed at me as was DH Once we arrived we had perfect timing and just as we were pulling up and emptying the luggage, they appeared walking across the driveway. I know the binder didn't have anything bad to say about the rooms BUT – I was still anxious, so while the guys got the luggage DMIL and I took off for the room.

Well – have I mentioned I have no sense of direction? Once I lose Lake Michigan I have absolutely no way of knowing any direction. So I promptly took DMIL off in the opposite direction of the pool (which is what view we had) and we walked all the way down the first hallway on the left. After a while we figured out we were nowhere near where we were supposed to be, so we went back the other way. We eventually found the room, but just barely beat the guys to it. Oopsie.

It’s exactly like we expected and I’m really, really happy with it. Got all my requests – non-handicapped, Zebra Trail. I was trying to avoid looking at the restaurant roofs by requesting Zebra Trail and it worked

Here are the pictures of the villa..
Studio #5430

And the one bedroom part - Room #5432

It was awesome! We hung out at the resort for a bit as we had plans for MNSSHP that night, and DIL’s were going off on their own. The plan was to come back and catch the end of the Bears game with DFIL, but that was the extent of the plans together for that night. I, of course, was planning to spend as much time at MNSSHP as I could
Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #191
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Lovely villa, looks as though there was tons of room and how funny you got lost
Old 11-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #192
Tinkerbellcrafter

Wow, gorgeous Villa! We just attended an event in upstate NY where we got convinced to add-on 100 pts at AKV(Kidani) We are going to tour the mock-ups at SSR in 18 DAYS!! Yeah! By the way, you were there for 9 days? at what point did you switch over to AKV? Keep the info coming!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #193
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Lovely villa, looks as though there was tons of room and how funny you got lost
Since there was only four of us, it was a TON of room. We have one reserved for next year, again for just four of us, but lots of friends coming and staying other places as well, so we'll have plenty of room to hang out.

Quote:
Wow, gorgeous Villa! We just attended an event in upstate NY where we got convinced to add-on 100 pts at AKV(Kidani) We are going to tour the mock-ups at SSR in 18 DAYS!! Yeah! By the way, you were there for 9 days? at what point did you switch over to AKV? Keep the info coming!
YEAH - Welcome Home neighbor (now I have the Mister Rogers song in my head ) We were at BWV for two nights and AKV for eight. It was awesome. We did the two nights at BWV first and then switched to AKV...it was so relaxing, but then again...I didn't have a choice after our first night....but that's coming up
Old 11-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #194
TyRy
It is making me nutty

Quote:
We are going to tour the mock-ups at SSR in 18 DAYS!!
YEAH - have so much fun!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #195
312.Duck
pro-Duck

wooo!

...got some catchin' up to do!

Click here to see TyRy's Dis binder growth over time...
< "Miss you, mom."

Last edited by 312.Duck; 11-21-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: