Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #136
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
I can not believe you stayed awake that long I'd have been in bed by about 6pm
You know how DH talked about Disney time a couple of posts ago...I swear there is something about Disney air. At home I'm in bed pretty early - 10ish probably and if I have to be up extra early for something, I'm out much earlier. However, as soon as I get to WDW, I don't need as much sleep. Who knows what it is, but I honestly thought we would keep going, even that night....which I was wrong about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJo View Post
Sounds like a lovely day, so what was the BWV secret for not walking all the corridors?
DH is going to have to chime in with that since he remembers and knows the ways much better...probably since he paid attentioned while I pouted And I just tended to follow him - all I knew was go out this door or that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nts4wdw View Post
Just joining in! Love the stone table shot!
nts4wdw - glad to have you aboard. I made DH take a bunch of shots but that is the only one that really came out. I need to make him watch the movies so he gets why I was so excited.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*

Last edited by TyRy; 10-23-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #137
Tinkerbellcrafter
DH & DD getting tagged by Dreammakers after me!!

Yay, more pictures!! I understand that whole Disney time thing but somewhere mid trip, my lack of sleep catches up and I have to sleep in!! BWV hallways ARE LONG!! They go on and on and on and on.....:-) Well, you know that song that never ends?

Ok, waiting for more days.....

1983 Disneyland, 1985 - offsite, WL-9/1995(Honeymoon), CB-09/04, VWL-7/05, WL-9/05(10th Anniversary), POR-2/06, OKW-8/06, CB-12/06, BWV-5/07, OKW-7/07, POR-12/07, SSR- 4/08, OKW- 8/08, SSR- 12/08, VB/AKV- 2/09, THV- 6/09, BCV-10/09, SSR-12/09, AKV-3/10, Fort Wilderness/VB/Disney Wonder/WL 8/10 to 9/10-15th Anniversary, Adult only SSR-12/10, The Fort-3/11, FW/DDream/BWV-9/11, FtWilderness 12/11, Treehouse villas5/2012, WL, DisneyDream & AKV 9/2012, AKV/SSR 12/2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #138
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Talking Mickey's Hand is back in MY pocket - DH's Defense! | Day01 #5 - TyRy, speechless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 312.Duck View Post
All our check-ins are relatively painless - She stands at the counter for 45 minutes while I stroll around, soaking it all in.
I honestly don't know what all she's doing - I'd fail HUGE as a Disney planner,
no doubt. I think she's probably shootin' the breeze with a castmember,
then comes back and tells me she negotiated some room deal for us.
Gotta back up for a vid...
After checking in, before heading to what we thought was Belz, we walked the BWVilla grounds to soak it in...we had never checked out much more than the Boardwalk & lobby areas...

We took a quick seat near the main pool, and Tracy was at a loss fer words...
...almost in disbelief she was back home.

Click to Play . Click to Play . Click to Play . Click to Play . Click to Play . Click to Play .

312D: "Tracy's home...."
TyRy (binder in hand...): <giggles> ..... <sighs> ...
TyRy (in a "never again will we go this long between trips" tone): "f i n a l l y ..... TWO years..."

Click here to see TyRy's Dis binder growth over time...
< "Miss you, mom."

Last edited by 312.Duck; 10-25-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #139
tiggerwannabe
Optimistic Realist~

Photographer Extraordinaire~

Disney is my Therapy~

Quote:
312D: "Tracy's home...."
TyRy (binder in hand...): <giggles> ..... <sighs> ...
TyRy (in a "never again will we go this long between trips" tone): "f i n a l l y ..... TWO years..."

Great first day guys!

I LOVE how you both are telling your story...

the video above ^^^^ I feel ya Tracy, I feel ya!

°O°The Key to Happiness is Self Delusion°O°

Old 10-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #140
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Cool Mickey's Hand is back in MY pocket - DH's Defense! | Day01 #6 - Room & exit stategy

Originally Posted by TyRy
I make the phone call and am told we are in room 1123? Ummmmm – starts with a 1, somehow I don’t think that matched my request of upper floor. Well let’s see if the other request (overlooking bus stop) was ignored as well.

Me, I'm not that picky about the room.
I pretty much assume we're not getting a "primo" room on the Boardwalk proper,
and just sorta hope we don't get shafted into one of those reaaaally bad rooms folks talk about.
From her reaction, that's what I thought we were getting into!

So we valet the car – which is my new favorite perk of being a DVC member…the free valet parking at DVC resorts when staying on points

<in excited 12 yr old girl's voice> "OH. MY GOD!"
From my single experience, this is unquestionably the best perk! I could be happy just hanging in a studio everyday as long as I can pull my car up and leave it!
(and always tip your valet guy!)

...we try to grab the elevators... Evidently the whole two that we found were not working exactly great…as a CM told us...
We then start the trek to our room. And I do mean TREK! I think walking to Canada might have been closer than walking to this room.

LOL...I'd imagine the Animal Kingdom hallways extend farther out, but they're wider, brighter, and more decorated there.
Couple that with my belief that nothing could be as long as some AKL treks and this turned out to be deceptively long.
Triple that with the fact I was carrying someting over my shoulder, dragging my suitcase, and keeping grasp on a plastic bag full of beer and soda which had an escalating tear along the seam!

Look out the back and we have a shared patio with the room next door.
awkward. I had to put pants on to go out. What is up with that?

Our luggage then arrived along with an angel named Al. Al saved me (and DH too) from a weekend of pouting and walking back and forth between our room and the Canadian border. I was too busy pouting so DH is going to have to fill this part in, but Al basically gave us the secret to get to the pool, bus stop, DHS, and our car quickly and without having to go back through customs each time we wanted to get anywhere

lol...
Yeah...and we did not pictorially document this properly...shame, shame, shame. It's going to be quite a while before we can achieve tiggerbell-level detail (if ever).

Basically the guy gave me some quick pointers as to the shortcuts from our room to places,
after which, we did not traverse that hallway again during our (admittedly short) stay.
It's not that the hallway is so much longer than our other routes, but the other routes were just plain better.
Something about the halls there seems a li'l smaller, darker, colder (is is possible to look dank?) than those of say, the AK Lodge. No windows either.

Though our room was in one of those "bad locations" TyRy previously showed me,
it turned out to be quite the advantageous location for our stay.
If you're stuck that far out in the BWV's, you might as well be on the first floor for the exit options.

Click on the map (it should open in separate window [maximize it]),
and follow the text below-

There were three different exits we could use to avoid trudging down the halls:
[map: Green path] One leading to the front was right next to our room. It led to the front driveway, on the hotel side of the bridge which separates the parking lot from the grounds.
If not using valet, we turned <right> there, and were a hop, skip, & a jump from the lot. When using valet, we simply turned <left> and walked up to the entrance...and I adore this walk. BTW, The Boardwalk entrance is my favorite of all Disney Resorts...

...yes, cooler than the Wilderness Lodge and AKL's thatch roof entrance. Just my opinion, as I have a thing for that throwback old east coast style with the clear incandescent bulbs outlining it...

[map: Yellow path] The next exit was opposite our front one...it technically went to a smoking area (didn't encounter any there) which was conveniently located by the QUIET POOL (<- that which EVERY resort should have!!!). We could be at the pool or hot tub in about 30 seconds...or continue around, and hit the main pool.

[map: Blue path] The third escape (blue & red paths) was at the end of the building; just a short hike to the end of the hallway. That deposits you by the Riverwalk, at which point if you turn right you can go to either pool, continue on to the Boardwalk (Dance Hall entrance area), head over to the Swan/Dolphin bridge, or ramble on over to the Yacht/Beach club. Neato!

[map: Red path] Turning left out of the hotel sets you on your way down that gorgeous riverwalk toward Hollywood Studios.

-----

These (Red and Blue paths) are what gives BWV a tactical advantage over BLT, AKL, and WLV...the other DVC resorts put you close to only one park. BWV gets you to Hollywood Studios and Eppy Cot, naturally.

Last edited by 312.Duck; 10-25-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #141
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Mickey's Hand is back in MY pocket - DH's Defense! | Day01 #6 - addendum

addendum to above post...

Granted, a majority love the Magic Kingdom the most, but for many like me that's not necessarily the most visited. While I believe the Magic Kingdom is the most essential of all parks (of course...it's where the pipeline to the SOURCE of all magic (DISNEYLAND ) terminates), it doesn't offer as many new wrinkles and attractions the others may over time. e.g. During Food & Wine fest I may have to hit Epcot 2 or 3 times to get it all in. Animal Kingdom easily takes two trips + patience to realize everything IT has to offer. Purely tactical. You get my drift.

And anudder ting - the boat from Hollywood Studios:
(this is probably rehash from millions of TR's before this...)
IMHO, Unless you're at Yacht & Beach Club AND you're in position to immediately catch it (pulling up, short-ish line), don't bother.
The wait is twice as long as a S L O W walk home, doesn't stop at the Villas, goes all the way around to the Boardwalk.

OK, maybe once just to experience it.

Map of Riverwalk from Boardwalk Villas to Hollywood Studios:

Click to Enlarge

A few more pics along the Riverwalk, heading to Hollywood Studios...
(all pics clickable for full size versions)

OK, underneath the bridge doesn't give the most flattering view
along the riverwalk back towards the Villas...

Turning around gives...

Getting closer to Hollywood Studios, looking back...

TOWER OF TERROR!

__________________________________________________ ______________________

< "Miss you, mom."

Last edited by 312.Duck; 10-25-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #142
312.Duck
pro-Duck

fluff

Quote:
One thing which struck me about the BW was how gorgeous the walk is in the morning hours...

My cheesey attempt at a photo stitch in Paint...
(Click & click again to view)

...somewhere I had a nice li'l vid panning around...gotta find it.
¶¶¶¶¶
fOUND it.

FWIW:

Click to Play . Click to Play . Click to Play . Click to Play . Click to Play . Click to Play .

< "Miss you, mom."
Old 10-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #143
Tinkerbellcrafter
DH & DD getting tagged by Dreammakers after me!!

I just played the boardwalk video and DH sighed and wished he was there right now. Great posts! Looks like the weather was typical Florida gorgeous!

1983 Disneyland, 1985 - offsite, WL-9/1995(Honeymoon), CB-09/04, VWL-7/05, WL-9/05(10th Anniversary), POR-2/06, OKW-8/06, CB-12/06, BWV-5/07, OKW-7/07, POR-12/07, SSR- 4/08, OKW- 8/08, SSR- 12/08, VB/AKV- 2/09, THV- 6/09, BCV-10/09, SSR-12/09, AKV-3/10, Fort Wilderness/VB/Disney Wonder/WL 8/10 to 9/10-15th Anniversary, Adult only SSR-12/10, The Fort-3/11, FW/DDream/BWV-9/11, FtWilderness 12/11, Treehouse villas5/2012, WL, DisneyDream & AKV 9/2012, AKV/SSR 12/2013
Old 10-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #144
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Unhappy

Thanks. I get the same feeling watching it myself. Knowing that's my eye taking that video makes me long to be back there even more. Yes, the weather was GORGEOUS...I can picture it, feel it, just thinking about it.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #145
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Talking Mickey's Hand is back in MY pocket - DH's Defense! | Day01 - recycled rubber mats

Before I continue, I need to show one of my favorite parts of Hollywood Studios.
These things are so cool and innovative, I'm surprised they're not at (or maybe they are) EPCOT.

< "Miss you, mom."
Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #146
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Unhappy Mickey's Hand is back in MY pocket - DH's Defense! | Day01 #7 - PT & Dining rants

I’m thinking DH must really like it cause he loves things from the 50’s and
60’s…he’d probably furnish our house with half the stuff in this restaurant.

That's right. I'd love to recreate an old 60's basement.
While I LOVE those old bubble-lookin' screen televisions, I'm sold on HD.
Let's see...maybe we could concoct an old time oblong HD throwback...

Old Fashioned HDTV. (No Photoshop at work...quick cheese with Paint) heeheehee...

DH liked his pot roast (which I tried and was really yummy) but thought it was
on the smallish side. I thought it was a normal portion. I also got DH to eat
my “greens” as I told him we might not get dessert otherwise. We did order dessert – the Smores

Yeah...I'm definitely not a huge fan of Disney dining..........some of the experiences are great,
and the pictures all y'all post are delicious looking, but... I'd opine that a majority of food at Disney is so-so in terms of value.
I understand you're paying for the Disney experience...that's fine, no problem; I expect that,and request that for the future of DW.
Yet at times the execution fails (great looking, OK quality), or the amounts are simply not worth the $$ spent.

eg.
This pot roast tasted just fine, but the portion was disaapointing. I mean, come on...this is pot roast, not some exotic bird to be served as an art form. I think the pictures TyRy posted above must add 10 grams.

I'll give them an A++ if their focus is on leaving room to sell you dessert!
Speaking of which...
s'mores - OK. Price wasn't bad, but I've had much better s'mores just about everywhere.
Stone Mill pale ale was pretty much ..... pale. I'd suggest they get another ale sponsor. Cool name, lame ale.

Stone Mill

People say that you don’t save anything with it, but I disagree. We tend to
tip 20%, so we looked at it like we got all the tips for free. When I did the
analysis when I got home, we ended up saving about three hundred dollars...

Without question. We came out ahead, and the DDE helps promote a better dining experience whereas the DDP seems to be lowering the quality of, IMO.
The only caveat to that is for buffet-style dining, a la Hollywood & Vine, or Boma.
Unless you agree with giving an 18% tip for service that amounts to clearing your plates and refilling your soda, I'd recommend paying cash.
I guess those who don't understand how waitresses are paid and how that affects dining prices would disagree as well...but I'm sure that's a whole 'nother argument well hashed out here many times before.

For the record, I am anti-Disney Dining Plan.
I believe the DDP (along with general economic issues + branding) has led to a decline in counter service throughout the parks,
and to some extent, the resorts.
I don't have any empirical proof of this, but my experience on the DDP supports that assumption.
I think that's a discussion/rant for another time, 'nother thread.

Please, don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE dining at Disney...there are individual experiences at just about every restaurant/counter that someone is going to adore. Yet I also believe that over time I'll be figuring out just exactly what at which places I'm going to have in the future, and not just eating for the sake of an experience.

Last edited by 312.Duck; 10-27-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #147
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Red face Mickey's Hand is back in MY pocket - DH's Defense! | Day01 #8 - post-dining fun

We decide we would come back to it later in the week (famous last words!) and
go see Voyage of the Little Mermaid... It really is a good show and I think DH even liked it.

I did. I don't think I've ever watched The Little Mermaid.
I was deprived of Disney as the last child, and thought it was a little girls flick <> when it was on.
Well, I cried like a little girl. My right eye is teary as I'm typing this.

It’s now about 7:45 and Fantasmic is in 15 minutes…
She seats us and then a minute later a lady comes back and starts asking her
DH why he let the CM give up seats..at least that’s what my DH said…I couldn’t hear the conversation.

Yeah...that was a bit uncomfortable...
The lady next to us was saying, "I can't believe they did that. Why would they do that?"
It was no one's fault, really. When the CM's are rushing about getting folks seated, they can't necessarily be darting up and down the stairs asking everyone in every row if they're all there - u know, it's pretty hectic.

Also can't fault anyone not in their seats due to being stuck in a long line for popcorn and soda either!

"No Coke, Pepsi!"

It didn’t dawn on me till the next day (after I’d had some sleep and my brain was functioning again) that had I simply left the room and gone out the exit right next to our room I wouldn’t have had the trees blocking my view!

Yes! That li'l area just in front should give a nice view of the show for anyone in this part of the BWV!

There existed a perfect view of show, within close range of her camera.

Distance from TyRy's butt to a perfect viewing area, LOL...

Overall sitelines from sitting area outside our BWV wing to Illuminations...

< "Miss you, mom."
Old 10-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #148
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Thumbs up Mickey's Hand is back in MY pocket - DH's Defense! | Day01 #9 - TyRy's drink videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRy View Post
Our drinks come and I actually get a star glow cube…had no idea they came in stars. And my Dad’s Electric Lemonade was outstanding on top of it.

It's even cooler on video...

Click to Play! . Click to Play! . Click to Play! . Click to Play! . Click to Play!

Here's a video from above, showing her "Star" cube!

Click to Play! . Click to Play! . Click to Play! . Click to Play! . Click to Play!

< "Miss you, mom."

Last edited by 312.Duck; 10-27-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #149
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Post END of Day 01: FWIW - my Daily trip notes

After getting involved in trip reports in 2006 (well sort of...I started out hot, and petered out somewhere around Day 03...lame, won't happen again),
I decided to jot down notes to help jog my memory after each day's activities.

Each night I logged some "short hand" notes in Notepad.
Figured I'll post them here (including all misspellings, and such) at the end
of each Day's Reports for a laugh (sans any dirty words, of course).

Day 01 FRI-
Code:
Day 01 FRI- up for flight, back already sore, twist knee, nice flight, quick car ride, check in, walk around, 
go to Belz, cry, go to get beer, go to room, long hallway, bed is awesome, room is worn a bit, but still great, 
check out exits from bell boy, pool(s), go to 50s Prime Time, had beer, Narnia, Ariel 3D thing, Phantasmic, 
walked path home in leiu of boat, sore knee, Philly fans...crash time...photopasses...

< "Miss you, mom."

Last edited by 312.Duck; 10-27-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #150
tiggerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Day 01 FRI-
Code:
Day 01 FRI- up for flight, back already sore, twist knee, nice flight, quick car ride, check in, walk around, 
go to Belz, cry, go to get beer, go to room, long hallway, bed is awesome, room is worn a bit, but still great, 
check out exits from bell boy, pool(s), go to 50s Prime Time, had beer, Narnia, Ariel 3D thing, Phantasmic, 
walked path home in leiu of boat, sore knee, Philly fans...crash time...photopasses...

Now that's a trip report!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: