Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #181
jfinke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianway View Post
My question would be, how many people actually paid the cover charge? Between CM's, PI Annual passes, and Premium AP's, I would be interested to know how much money actually flowed to the Adventurers Club financial statement. Also, how did they account for a 6 club admission? Split 6 ways? Assign the revenue to the Club where the ticket was activated? And as for CM's, does the Club get a credit that then gets charged to some type of employee benefit pool?

I personally think that creative accounting could have either saved the club or did it in.
Yeah, but can't you say the same thing about say Animal Kingdom. People rarely purchase one day tickets, I assume. Most people attending are on APs, PAPs, or PH for however long they are in the area.

They certainly have had counters at every entrance to the AC and CW. Is it even necessary to split it from an accounting point of view. It seems that they treated PI as one operating entity.
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #182
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianway View Post
My question would be, how many people actually paid the cover charge? Between CM's, PI Annual passes, and Premium AP's, I would be interested to know how much money actually flowed to the Adventurers Club financial statement. Also, how did they account for a 6 club admission? Split 6 ways? Assign the revenue to the Club where the ticket was activated? And as for CM's, does the Club get a credit that then gets charged to some type of employee benefit pool?

I personally think that creative accounting could have either saved the club or did it in.
The cover charge was only a small portion of potential profits for PI. The real area for profits was the prices they charged for drinks and other items. Almost any other club would love to have the profit margins that the clubs in PI had. In addition they certainly wouldn't be closing to look for a way to make more profit while driving away existing customers.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #183
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
The cover charge was only a small portion of potential profits for PI. The real area for profits was the prices they charged for drinks and other items. Almost any other club would love to have the profit margins that the clubs in PI had. In addition they certainly wouldn't be closing to look for a way to make more profit while driving away existing customers.
Not just any other club, any other BUSINESS would love to hae the profit margins that the AC had. Sadly, someone with a spreadsheet somewhere in Califorina thought that they could do better as landlords of crappy merchandise stores and mediocre food offerings. They got greedy, pure and simple.

Completely missing the point.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #184
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I think it's been established that Disney wanted to divest itself of all of its nightclub business at PI. Their intent is to turn it into another Anaheim DTD - third-party businesses with the exception of the Disney merchandise stores, street entertainment provided by independent contractors (not Disney employees), selling mass-produced food and merchandise geared toward tourists, not locals. Unless I am mistaken, while the Disneyland parks attract locals, the Downtown Disney area in Anaheim does not. (I actually spoke to someone a couple of weeks ago who made this comparison - they were ecstatic about WDW moving toward a Disneyland type of downtown area, as Disneyland's didn't attract the same "undesirable element" as WDW's did. This person blamed the PI nightclubs for that "element." I think it's more the fact that WDW does not charge for parking at DTD, while Disneyland does.)

I tend to consider the "family-friendly" bit to be a smokescreen as they are still selling alcoholic beverages in bars on the street, and one of the new additions will be a Latin combo restaurant and dance club (run by someone other than Disney of course.)

I'd speculate that for those of you who are pleased to see the nightclubs go, you're going to see more nightclubs. The difference will be that a third party will run them. (Some already consider Raglan Road a nightclub - it's open late and features live music and copious alcohol)
Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #185
rpmdfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I think it's been established that Disney wanted to divest itself of all of its nightclub business at PI. Their intent is to turn it into another Anaheim DTD - third-party businesses with the exception of the Disney merchandise stores, street entertainment provided by independent contractors (not Disney employees), selling mass-produced food and merchandise geared toward tourists, not locals. Unless I am mistaken, while the Disneyland parks attract locals, the Downtown Disney area in Anaheim does not. (I actually spoke to someone a couple of weeks ago who made this comparison - they were ecstatic about WDW moving toward a Disneyland type of downtown area, as Disneyland's didn't attract the same "undesirable element" as WDW's did. This person blamed the PI nightclubs for that "element." I think it's more the fact that WDW does not charge for parking at DTD, while Disneyland does.)

I tend to consider the "family-friendly" bit to be a smokescreen as they are still selling alcoholic beverages in bars on the street, and one of the new additions will be a Latin combo restaurant and dance club (run by someone other than Disney of course.)

I'd speculate that for those of you who are pleased to see the nightclubs go, you're going to see more nightclubs. The difference will be that a third party will run them. (Some already consider Raglan Road a nightclub - it's open late and features live music and copious alcohol)
The thing about Anaheim's Downtown Disney is that, since it's ajacent to the parks, hotels, and parking garage, it doesn't have to be a destination in and of itself. You pretty much have to walk past it or through it whenever you're going to Disneyland. So that model works well for that resort.

At WDW, however, it needs to be a draw. A reason to get on a bus, or into a car and travel to the edge of Disney property. For many people, local and tourist alike, that draw was Pleasure Island.

They're making Florida decisions based on the California business model. That's stupid. They're two distinct markets and demographic models. Making the same decisions for both, isn't smart business.

I could see phasing out some of the dance clubs. Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club and Motion clearly weren't carrying their weight. But why close all of P.I. when they can't even get anyone to lease RNRBC? It makes no sense.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #186
jfinke
DIS Veteran

And again, I would have to point out the existence of the AMC and Virgin Mega stores. This has nothing to do with being "family friendly", whatever that means. It has to do with the bottom line and making more guaranteed money by leasing space.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #187
rpmdfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinke View Post
And again, I would have to point out the existence of the AMC and Virgin Mega stores. This has nothing to do with being "family friendly", whatever that means. It has to do with the bottom line and making more guaranteed money by leasing space.
That "guaranteed money" only comes along if you can actually get someone to lease the space. Word is that they haven't had ANYONE interested in Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club since it closed in March, and rumor has it that they've dropped their price a couple of times already.

Likewise, they don't currently have any takers on ANY of the clubs.

So it seems that the "guaranteed money" would have been to continue operating night clubs that were actually pulling in revenue, rather than having to maintain empty buildings that no one wants to lease.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #188
jfinke
DIS Veteran

I am not disagreeing with you.

I am saying the the sole reason for the change is that someone came up with a spreadsheet that showed better numbers for leasing the land vs. operating PI as is or reinvesting in it. We all know that Disney never makes mistakes in their estimations.

The "family friendly" angle is just a red herring.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #189
rpmdfw

Quote:
I am not disagreeing with you.

I am saying the the sole reason for the change is that someone came up with a spreadsheet that showed better numbers for leasing the land vs. operating PI as is or reinvesting in it. We all know that Disney never makes mistakes in their estimations.

The "family friendly" angle is just a red herring.
Sorry. I knew you weren't in disagreement. I was just adding on to what you said and pointing out how absurd it all is.

Didn't mean to come across as defensive or argumentative.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #190
jfinke
DIS Veteran

No worries... I was just clarifying my statement. I have been getting kind of defensive with all of the "family people" around saying that closing PI was a good thing for the kids. Won't anyone think of the children?

My wife keeps telling me I need to step away from the Disboards.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #191
rpmdfw

Quote:
My wife keeps telling me I need to step away from the Disboards.
I agree! Let's go to Pleasure Island for a drink.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #192
jfinke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post
I agree! Let's go to Pleasure Island for a drink.
Oh how I wish I could...

However, at this point, I will just have to sip on some Jack on my DVC balcony in Feb.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #193
rpmdfw

Quote:
Oh how I wish I could...

However, at this point, I will just have to sip on some Jack on my DVC balcony in Feb.
That works. And it'll probably be cheaper, too.

Still, I never begrudged spending a cent on P.I.'s overpriced drinks, and would gladly pay double to have one more "normal" night at the Adventurers Club.

*sigh*
Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #194
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Oh how I wish I could...

I could do that, if I set up a laptop and watch YouTube all night on the balcony it'll be just like old times. Sort of.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #195
jfinke
DIS Veteran

Maybe we will have a virtual PI to go with DisneyQuest.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: