Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #31
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post
I just went to your blog and looked at the card. It's nauseating.
Well we know that the South American restaurant is going to turn into a club later in the evening with salsa and similar music and dancing. Presumably some of the other new restaurants will do similar. So how has the place become more family friendly? NOT. It's all a bunch of b.s.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #32
buf68
Mouseketeer

so it'll be family friendly daytime, party nightlife night time ? That would work...
buf68 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #33
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

So, how is it that the Adventurers Club, already the most family friendly place on the island doesn't fit with this concept?

I can not believe that Disney can't find something to do with that space during the day.

Everything that they're telling us is a load of bull.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #34
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

I have not heard anything going in PI or DTD that even comes close to a wow factor. Not even anything interesting, quite frankly.
I HOPE they prove me wrong.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #35
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowza View Post
Yeah you're most definitely right there. What I would love to see is a really unique Disney dining experience. The dinner shows they do in Orlando are so popular and Disney do a few of them like the Hawaiian one at the Polynesian and the one at Fort Wilderness. But there isn't one that *theatrical* really.

With the space they had there in Pleasure Island tho they could do something really special. Just a thought... but something like 'Mulan'... I can imagine acrobats and broadway style musical numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buf68 View Post
They should totally build something like a Medival times, but focus it around mulan or some other disney character(s). They could totally do it and with the space on PI it would work. It would definately be a creative disney dining experience.
You're both missing the point, I'm afraid. Disney, as a corporation, isn't going to do anything. They'll lease the space and let someone else build/run the operation (like Rainforest Cafe--there are similar RFCs across the country not on Disney property). Doubtful Disney characters will be involved, unless the 3d party operator is willing to pony up a licensing fee.

Did Disney ever officially claim the new PI would be more "family-friendly"? Or was that just spin/wishful thinking on the boards from the pixie dust crowd? Because right now the "new" PI will be the outdoor bars, a Harley shop, a cigar bar, and a two high-end restaurants that prominently feature bars. Find it hard to believe their PR people were that brazen.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #36
kstinw19
DIS Veteran

A dinosaur restaurant?? Really?? Why??

I have four little kids, three of them boys, and they won't even be interested in a dinosaur restaurant.

I am really worried about this one...I will be shocked if it isn't just more stores and restaurants.

1st Disney cruise! April '13,First holiday visit with kids Nov '12, Family reunion at WLV Jan '12, First visit as DVC members - May '11, Back to the World! - Apr '10, Back to Poly - Sept. 08 w/ kids, Boardwalk Villas - Jan 08 w/ kids, Poly - May 07 - surprising the kids, Beach Club - Sept 06, Off-site at Vistana w/ parents and kids Oct 05,
kstinw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #37
AdventurerKat
Cries in her Jello shots
Adventurers Club Addict
Thinks she is invisible to the Tag Fairy, but she's not!

Wow, that brochure just makes it all sound so exciting, doesn't it?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #38
Forever42
The best part of Disney is the food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I have to laugh at being offended at the "old" people as I am having my 44th birthday at PI on Saturday - don't worry, I'll stick to the Adventurers Club where I probably won't offend anyone by just sitting in a chair (I hope)
We were there all evening on Saturday - wonder if we saw you?

Went over to Mannequins for the first time after the Hoopla and had a GREAT time (we're mid 20s) until DH lost our camera with 4 months worth of un-downloaded photos on it.
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #39
cowza
Mouseketeer

Well I was a CM at Disney World and when we were given the green light to tell guests officially about Pleasure Island closing, we were also told it was going to redeveloped into more family friendly shopping and dining experiences. That was the official statement.

We were told about the hot air balloon being launched in Downtown Disney like they have in Paris but anything else hasnt been officially announced yet.

To be honest I'm not really sure how much of the stuff in Pleasure Island is Disney owned or leased? If they own it they can potentially do anything they want I guess.
cowza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #40
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Sorry,

The PI bus stops are closing for rehab and will reopen around Sept 12th.
Yikes! I'm going to PI on the 6th. Where will I be let off and how long will it take to get to PI? I will be using a power wheelchair. How long should I figure for getting from All Star Music to PI.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #41
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
My understanding is that the hot air balloon ride will be over in DD West Side, not Pleasure Island. Only the South American restaurant and t-shirt shop has been announced.

Hotel brochure racks around Florida now have an information "card" brochure (English on one side, Spanish on the other) entitled "Pleasure Island, What's In, What's Out, What's Up" and it explains all the clubs are closing. I've scanned it onto my blogsite at: http://www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

BobK/Orlando
absolutely pathetic. We're going to take away everything Disney owned and operated and replace it with 3rd party operations because we're cheap and don't care about your experience.

Rob hit it right on the head. Disney is giving the middle finger to its guests and especially to the convention, college, and single adult crowd.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #42
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever42 View Post

Went over to Mannequins for the first time after the Hoopla and had a GREAT time (we're mid 20s) until DH lost our camera with 4 months worth of un-downloaded photos on it.
You probably did at some point.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #43
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Double Barf. T-Rex cafe? We've already got one here in the Kansas City area. Over by the giant Cabela's store and Nebraska Furniture Mart. Yeah, I want to fly to Florida for that...Dolts.
ThurlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #44
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurlFan View Post
Double Barf. T-Rex cafe? We've already got one here in the Kansas City area. Over by the giant Cabela's store and Nebraska Furniture Mart. Yeah, I want to fly to Florida for that...Dolts.
I understand the one in KC is the first one built and DTD is going to be the second one. Thus, for nearly everyone in the country and for foreign visitors, this will be a first encounter with T-Rex Cafe. ThurlFan party of 4, your adventure is about to begin!

Quote:
You definitely saw ME as I was in Mannequins nearly the entire evening Saturday night. I recall someone taking photos of the hanging upside down mannequins....was that you?

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #45
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:

I was there, too! Was that the night that Pamelia did the Titanic song during the Hoopla? If so, you saw my husband . . . he was one of the guys holding the words for the song.

That's awful about your camera! Did you check lost and found just in case? I've heard that some people have had luck with that.

By the way, some people who have talked to the Disney board members about trying to save the Adventurers Club have been told that the decision to close PI has nothing to do with "family friendly" and everything to do with money. They can make more (in the short term, at least) by leasing out the space. I think some people who are excited about reclaiming this "scary" area of DTD and making it family friendly are going to be sorely disappointed when new outsourced bars, restaurants, and shops show up and the area is no more family friendly than it is now.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: