Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
LuluLovesDisney
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
I guess Rainy Days are definitely a "turn on"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey81808 View Post
I DO like top 40. My husband always comments that I have the music taste of a High School Freshman. I'm very diverse in my music choices, my IPOD goes from Jay- Z to Kerli. We did go to 8 track I guess overall the crowd was just way to old to me. It looked like old people trying to regain there youth and very classless people ALSO I wasn't offended by the fact that the three woman were dancing together they were just not attractive and older like in their 40's. Gay or not that to me is way too old to be doing that. Also I think because I'm originally from NYC and live in Boston my expectations of clubbing or going out are a bit higher.
You're more offended by their age and their looks than the groping?

I agree with you that PI was going downhill and needs a revamp, but I just thought that was sort of interesting.

The AC is/was unique and I hope they bring that back in some form, somewhere. My own opinion is that they should rebuild AC at one of the resorts and make a dinner package- buy dinner at one of the resort restaurants and get a discount admission to the AC. Senior citizens get in for free-- j/k.
LuluLovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #17
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The cigarette and cigar smoke was horrific.
You must have been OUTSIDE because smoking is not allowed inside. I can't imagine where smoke is thick outside unless you were in a smoking lounge or inside the cigar bar. I've been to NYC clubs and they are full of smoke.

Quote:
We went to Mannequins and it was just horrific as well the music sucked because they kept mixing it with awful techno beat circa 1990 Webster Hall NYC.
I have no clue what you're talking about. I was there Friday night and the DJ was playing current house, trance, dance and dance remixes. It is, after all, a techno club.

Quote:
we also went to Motion was not good at all. The played AWFUL hip hop by many people with the title LIL in front of there names.
I have to agree with Zulemara. Motion plays Top 40 and it just so happens Top 40 right now is mostly hip hop. You must not go clubbing much anymore back home because that is what is being played nearly everywhere. I don't like it either but it's a reality. This is what is so upsetting about the closing of all the clubs at PI; there was actually a variety of music to choose from at PI.

Quote:
It's wasn't the PI that I recalled from my youth that i was dying to go back to. I can see why they are closing it.
I'm not here to change you're opinion; you're entitled to your opinion. They say you "can't go home again" and I'm not sure what you're remembering from your youth. PI has changed with the walk-through traffic, the lack of outdoor stages, the closed stores, the closed restaurants, the lack of fireworks and so on. Most of us agree those things led to its demise. But I don't think the music led to its demise.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #18
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney View Post
You're more offended by their age and their looks than the groping?

I agree with you that PI was going downhill and needs a revamp, but I just thought that was sort of interesting.

The AC is/was unique and I hope they bring that back in some form, somewhere. My own opinion is that they should rebuild AC at one of the resorts and make a dinner package- buy dinner at one of the resort restaurants and get a discount admission to the AC. Senior citizens get in for free-- j/k.
I live in a city with the world record for most consecutive bars on one street and the world's largest six pack. Yet, the clubs that PI offered are the only escape from the beer drinking, country playing, smoke filled bars with a dance floor measuring a whole 10x10. At one time Mannequins was rated one of the best techno clubs in the country and the only reason that changed is because Disney let it change. I don't doubt that your bigger cities offer a different environment, but for people like me, Disney is the only clubbing I can ever dream about. Throw in the free transportation and I know I can be safe and still have a good time.

also FYI I wouldn't be surprised if the older women were European.

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #19
Honey81808
Honey8/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
You must have been OUTSIDE because smoking is not allowed inside. I can't imagine where smoke is thick outside unless you were in a smoking lounge or inside the cigar bar. I've been to NYC clubs and they are full of smoke.

I have no clue what you're talking about. I was there Friday night and the DJ was playing current house, trance, dance and dance remixes. It is, after all, a techno club.

I have to agree with Zulemara. Motion plays Top 40 and it just so happens Top 40 right now is mostly hip hop. You must not go clubbing much anymore back home because that is what is being played nearly everywhere. I don't like it either but it's a reality. This is what is so upsetting about the closing of all the clubs at PI; there was actually a variety of music to choose from at PI.

I'm not here to change you're opinion; you're entitled to your opinion. They say you "can't go home again" and I'm not sure what you're remembering from your youth. PI has changed with the walk-through traffic, the lack of outdoor stages, the closed stores, the closed restaurants, the lack of fireworks and so on. Most of us agree those things led to its demise. But I don't think the music led to its demise.

BobK/Orlando
I dis notice the lack of outside entertainment and I remember there being a beach club like bar with a live band. They played Dishwalla, I was sooo happy!! i was also 13 or 14. At 28 I go out not often but as much as I can and when I do GOOD Hip Hop is played and GOOD House. Trust me I love the house I have a t shirt that says so!! HAHAAH I was outside in a cloud of smoke BTW and In NYC you can not smoke inside nor in Boston. I personally think the crowd lead to the demise. Just my opinion. And yes their age bothered me. When you're young you don't want to see someone your moms age grinding all up on two of her friends.
Honey81808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #20
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I have to laugh at being offended at the "old" people as I am having my 44th birthday at PI on Saturday - don't worry, I'll stick to the Adventurers Club where I probably won't offend anyone by just sitting in a chair (I hope)
Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #21
LuluLovesDisney
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
I guess Rainy Days are definitely a "turn on"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
I live in a city with the world record for most consecutive bars on one street and the world's largest six pack. Yet, the clubs that PI offered are the only escape from the beer drinking, country playing, smoke filled bars with a dance floor measuring a whole 10x10. At one time Mannequins was rated one of the best techno clubs in the country and the only reason that changed is because Disney let it change. I don't doubt that your bigger cities offer a different environment, but for people like me, Disney is the only clubbing I can ever dream about. Throw in the free transportation and I know I can be safe and still have a good time.

also FYI I wouldn't be surprised if the older women were European.
Since you mentioned "your bigger cities," I think you meant to quote Honey, not me. Just checking.
LuluLovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #22
EvilQueensandPixieDu
I was born with my ears!

I do hope they somehow go back to the old PI. Doubt it but hope.
EvilQueensandPixieDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #23
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I remember there being a beach club like bar with a live band. In NYC you can not smoke inside nor in Boston. And yes their age bothered me. When you're young you don't want to see someone your moms age grinding all up on two of her friends.
Unfortunately, the Rock'n'Roll Beach Club closed this past February, the first of the club closures. I was in the world-famous Pacha in NYC this past May and you most certainly can smoke. It was horrible! As for the middle-aged grinders, I know one of them and just don't recall who the other two were. But the one I know is married and her husband was there. She does seem to attract other girls and usually they're younger. When one of the top club and radio songs this summer is Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl, their behavior is hardly unusual and similarly can be found in clubs all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Also FYI I wouldn't be surprised if the older women were European.
Actually, from what I've observed from my weekly visits, they're locals with an occasional tourist joining the grind; a couple hispanics too. They're just having fun.

BobK/Orlando
Old 08-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #24
EvilQueensandPixieDu
I was born with my ears!

The women with her were not young. To each their own I guess. I just hope that by the time I go back PI is revamped into something worth while. FYI you are not allowed to smoke in bar NYC unless it has an outside pavilion. I don't know about the smoking rule I guess. I know where I go out Oyster Bar and such, I always have to go outside and keep my GF company while she inhales cancer. HAHAAH
EvilQueensandPixieDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #25
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluLovesDisney View Post
Since you mentioned "your bigger cities," I think you meant to quote Honey, not me. Just checking.
yes probably. I often type very fast in between responding ot emails and browsing message boards. being self employed is tough

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #26
cowza
Mouseketeer

There is going to be a big hot air balloon you can pay to ride in like in the Disney Village at Disneyland Paris. I'm sure that was already announced though along with the t shirt store.
cowza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #27
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowza View Post
There is going to be a big hot air balloon you can pay to ride in like in the Disney Village at Disneyland Paris. I'm sure that was already announced though along with the t shirt store.
My understanding is that the hot air balloon ride will be over in DD West Side, not Pleasure Island. Only the South American restaurant and t-shirt shop has been announced.

Hotel brochure racks around Florida now have an information "card" brochure (English on one side, Spanish on the other) entitled "Pleasure Island, What's In, What's Out, What's Up" and it explains all the clubs are closing. I've scanned it onto my blogsite at: http://www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

BobK/Orlando
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #28
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:
My understanding is that the hot air balloon ride will be over in DD West Side, not Pleasure Island. Only the South American restaurant and t-shirt shop has been announced.

Hotel brochure racks around Florida now have an information "card" brochure (English on one side, Spanish on the other) entitled "Pleasure Island, What's In, What's Out, What's Up" and it explains all the clubs are closing. I've scanned it onto my blogsite at: http://www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

BobK/Orlando
I just went to your blog and looked at the card. It's nauseating.

Just like every other response back to concerns that they're killing the magic, it's message is "We don't care what you want, you WILL be excited about mediorcre dining and increased shopping. You WILL want what we tell you to want! Here, look at the craptastic dinosaur restaurant. You'll love it!"

It all looks so "lowest common denominator" to me.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #29
cowza
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yeah you're most definitely right there. What I would love to see is a really unique Disney dining experience. The dinner shows they do in Orlando are so popular and Disney do a few of them like the Hawaiian one at the Polynesian and the one at Fort Wilderness. But there isn't one that *theatrical* really.

With the space they had there in Pleasure Island tho they could do something really special. Just a thought... but something like 'Mulan'... I can imagine acrobats and broadway style musical numbers.

Something like that would be VERY popular I'm sure!?

What do yall think? Mulan is just a passing thought... there's plenty of options. They could easily borrow influences from the Aladdin show at DL and do something with that. Or a Pirates of the Caribbean one. SO many options really!
cowza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #30
buf68
Mouseketeer

They should totally build something like a Medival times, but focus it around mulan or some other disney character(s). They could totally do it and with the space on PI it would work. It would definately be a creative disney dining experience.
buf68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: