Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 07:14 AM   #91
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawx04 View Post
GREAT!!! I searched the internet and DIS and cound never find it...thank you very much...you BOTH made my day.

My all time favorite memory at the WL was my first stay, about 6 months after they opened. They used to offer a 3PM tour of the lobby, smokehouse, Artist Point, and ended the tour with a trip to the roof. Later that night my wife and I ate at AP where we both enjoyed the onion soup!

Another thing I really miss is Lodge Ale (micro-brew) in Territory Lounge.

Ahhhh the memories!
I'm glad we could help!

I haven't had time to read through the whole thread yet, but hope to get to it later this week. In the meantime, here are some of the recipes we've made & liked.

Boma's Flank Steak Marinade - I've seen other versions of the recipe, but love what was sent to us right after our trip so much that I haven't tried them! LOL We use this for all kinds of steak & always grill it. Yummy!

Boma's Frunch - This is an annual part of our Christmas brunch. Again, I've seen newer versions of the recipe, but what they sent me just after our 2001 trip is great & always makes us think about our stay at AKL.

Strawberry Banana Bread from the Wilderness Lodge - Another staple of our Christmas brunch. This stuff is awesome! It's extremely moist & needs to be refrigerated if it's not all consumed the same day...like that happens often. I don't care for bananas particularly, but the addition of the strawberries really cuts the heavy taste of the banana.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #92
sanilacjack
DIS Veteran

Great thread. you all have inspired me to try something this weekend!!
Can't wait!

Kim
sanilacjack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #93
piratesmate

One of our summer favorites is Boma's Durban Spiced Roast Chicken Salad. I was totally intimidated when I first saw the recipe - it seemed extremely complicated...lots of steps. But it really wasn't. And absolutely delicious! DH said it tasted just like being there & has requested just the Chili Cilantro Dressing for other salads.

We've also made Boma's Fufu recipe. (mashed white & sweet potatoes with spices) DH & DS really love these. The recipe I received from Boma, though, didn't say anything about adding any liquid to the potatoes when they were mashed and the end result was WAY too dry that way. I now add some of the liquid used when steaming the potatoes (the 1st time I'd drained it away) and they're perfect. We use them at Thanksgiving instead of candied sweet potatoes. Yum!

One recipe that we didn't care for when we tried it at home was Boma's Ginger Carrot Soup. DH had requested this, but was totally unimpressed here at home. Honestly, I think he didn't remember the name of the soup correctly that he liked so much, since he's not an American cheese fan. It was okay, but not exciting. You know?

One other recipe that disappointed was Garden Grill's Plantain Fried Catfish. The entire family loved the fish when we ate at GG & couldn't wait for the recipe! It was very plain - just ground corn flakes & plantain chips - and really didn't have the flavor we remembered from GG. I'm not sure if they left out something in what they sent to me or I think it may be more that the oil in their fryer is used for other things & picks up flavor from that. I suspect you can't get the same taste at home.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #94
annie1995
I have not used mine outside the house yet
CM's always tell me that's not how it works

We love the Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup from LeCellier. Yum!!! We've made it twice now
Old 05-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #95
kimis
DIS Veteran

I made the Grapefruit cake from Hollywood Brown Derby and it turned out great.
I have a need though. I have looked everywhere for the
"PEAR AND ENDIVE SALAD" from Norcosses. Does anyone have it. I would totally appreciate a copy of it. Thank you so much!
2007-DL Paradise Pier
2007-DL Candy cane Inn
2007-DL Portofino Inn
2006-POR 2005-POR 2005- DL Paradise Pier 1999-Dixie Landings (1st of many trips-I hope!) 1999- DL Holiday Inn and many more DL trips
kimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #96
Olaf
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minie_meese View Post
DH couldn't go with us to Disney World last year. We ate at Artist Point and fell in love with the Smoky Portobello Mushroom Soup. I made it when we came home and DH agreed it was the best mushroom soup he'd had. He is joining us this year and we have reservations at Artist Point to try out some of the other things on their menu.

We loved this soup as well, but that recipe looks extremely complicated. I'm impressed that you were able to duplicate it.

I like to make the mashed potatoes http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/15482 from Chef Mickey's--easy and yummy.

Just got back from Disneyland and purchased the book, Delicious Disney by Pam Brandon and it's chock full of great recipes. http://www.disney-marketplace.com/se...-by-Pam/Detail
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #97
piratesmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimis View Post
<snip>
I have a need though. I have looked everywhere for the "PEAR AND ENDIVE SALAD" from Norcosses. Does anyone have it. I would totally appreciate a copy of it. Thank you so much!
I'm adding this to the "recipe exchange" thread since we keep a list of requests. Sadly, this recipe has not already been posted.

This is a link to our index: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1777635 The list of requests in in post #5 and in post #4 are some helpful tips & links for requesting recipes.

This is a link to the actual recipe exchange thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post25502356

I hope some of you will share over there!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #98
Tatania
Disney Foodie

I primarily make Disney recipes and post my reviews and suggestions on the Disney recipe exchange. I normally don't like to duplicate post but since we do have a separate thread for recipes we have tried - here are the latest 2 I made.

I made the California Grill Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli (p. 12) - a dish that I tried last time in Disney World. The recipe wasn't nearly as complicated to make as I thought but I do have a few comments to pass on.
1. There is more filling than needed for 8 eggroll wrappers, so have extra wrappers on hand.
2. For the ravioli edges to stick together easily, brush the top wrapper with the egg wash just before sticking them together. Then cut them into 4squares right away and push the edges together. If you follow the recipe instructions, you have to moisten each ravioli's edges to make sure they stick together.
3. The Clear Tomato Broth didn't work at all. I put my coarsely chopped tomatoes in a sieve lined with a double layer of damp cheesecloth and after sitting in the fridge for 24 hours all I had was some clear, water-like liquid in a bowl and lots of tomato sitting on top which I wasn't about to throw out.
I put it all in the juicer - but that didn't work very well to make tomato juice. I then cooked the whole mess and made sort of a tomato sauce. There's no point in making this Broth because it's much easier to buy tomato juice cocktail and serve the ravioli in that.

Shrimp Prosciutto Penne Pasta (Grand Floridian Café) (p. 66)

This was a very tasty, quick dinner. If you're using frozen shrimp, make sure they are completely thawed and all the water is drained off before you start.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #99
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimis View Post
I made the Grapefruit cake from Hollywood Brown Derby and it turned out great.
I have a need though. I have looked everywhere for the
"PEAR AND ENDIVE SALAD" from Norcosses. Does anyone have it. I would totally appreciate a copy of it. Thank you so much!
Posted this for you on the Recipe Exchange.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #100
DizneyDogs
Mouseketeer
Scrapbooking Diva

Be sure to take pictures of the Disney recipes you made at home and post them at the thread below so we can all drool over them!

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1733597
Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #101
Piglet's Momma
Mouseketeer

Nice thread! I like hearing if peoples' recipes turned out. I've made the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup from a recipe we got when we ate there. So delicious!

I also picked up the Delicious Disney cookbook last time we were there. Lots of really terrific-looking recipes. I've made the Kona Salad once, and it was much better than I thought it would be- I really liked the sweet/salty combination.

Interestingly enough, though, I've made more recipes from DLR than WDW, although I've never been to Disneyland. The Monte Cristo (good!) and the Loaded Baked Potato Soup (just okay-- my own recipe's better). Next up, I want to try the Stilton Cheesecake from Victoria and Albert's.

1978-1985: Three times as a kid in Florida
7/2003: First time with my kids! Caribbean Beach Resort
6/2005: Coronado Springs
5/2006: Port Orleans Riverside
11/2006: 15th Anniversary stay at CBR!
11/26-12/1, 2007: our 16th Anniversary stay at the Poly!
****Hoping to go back in October!! Cross your fingers!!****
Piglet's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #102
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!

Made the Basil Tomatoe Soup from the Grand Floridian for my appitizer for dinner tonight. Yummmy

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #103
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Here is what I made in the past week:

Scalloped Potatoes from Narcoosee’s - people who have had these at the restaurant raved about them and with all the butter and cheese in the recipe - it's no wonder. This is a very rich (and little too rich for me) dish that turns out well. But to me, scalloped potatoes are not something I go crazy about.

Tamarind BBQ Sauce from Boma - the Teriyaki sauce that gets mixed into this is spectacularly good. The Tamarind sauce has a very strong taste and I would use a little more Teriyaki than the 50/50 split the recipe calls for. All in all, a very interesting and good tasting sauce.

Carrot Salad - Top of the World (1986 cookbook) - I'm not sure if I like this as much as the Coconut Carrot salad from Boma but the carrots/pineapple/raisin combination works very well together. This is not a salad you want to have sitting around for more than 2 days as it doesn't keep very well. My mom loved this one.

Ghana Roast Chicken Salad (Boma) & Mediterranean Salad (Hollywood & Vine) - reviewed in the recipe exchange thread.

Saratoga Springs House Salad (from Delicious Disney) - Wow, this is a spectacular tasting salad and the dressing is outstanding. The salad ingredients are a perfect mix and it might even be better to divvy them up individually on the plates so they're distributed evenly. The salad could be served at a very fancy dinner.

Mango Mousse (Boma) - now we're talking my kind of food! Desserts are my favorite part of the meal and this one is extremely good. I didn't bother with the tart shells (I don't like eating pastry and I don't need the calories) and they weren't missed because the Mousse is very light with a tangy, fruity taste. Perfect for the summer.

Pina Coolava - made the raspberry purée out of fresh raspberries (uncooked) and made the piña colada from scratch using the Razz Rum instead of white rum. My girlfriend who never drinks cocktails tried this one and ended up loving it.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #104
DizneyDogs
Mouseketeer
Scrapbooking Diva

Tatania -any pics to post over on the pic thread of all the yummy disney food you made?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #105
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyDogs View Post
Tatania -any pics to post over on the pic thread of all the yummy disney food you made?
I very rarely take pictures of the food I make. The digital camera I have is old and doesn't take good pictures indoors - especially not at night. When I'm cooking and getting some ready for dinner, I just don't have time to stop and take pictures of it and even the times I've remember to take my camera up to the kitchen, I forget to take the picture.
It also takes too much time to load it to the computer, edit it, upload it to photobucket, etc.

Anyway, because you asked - I took a picture of the Steakhouse Salad from Concourse Steakouse (Delicious Disney) and am posting it.

I made this salad last night and it's delicious. The only thing that bothers me is the cup of oil that goes into the dressing because I cringe when I think of all those calories. I cut back and used about 2/3 of a cup and it was just fine. This a great dinner salad for the summer and I'll post the recipe in the recipe section when I've got time to transcribe it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: