Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #121
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
We went to Planet Hollywood in HAwaii. I ordered a pasta dish. It was not spicy. but, by the end of dinner. I was swaeting and started to hallucinate. I hated it. Dh laughed because he knew the ingredients would "build" up. He never told me.
That's a guy for you
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 17,2008 Wonder B2B - triple dip to CC
Aug 22, 2009 Magic western
Aug 22, 2010 Wonder & WDW
Ski-and-Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #122
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

I got him back. I told him we would be able to walk to Diamond Head. It was not too far. ( He hates walking!) He wanted to kill me after 2 hours of walking up hill and we still weren't there.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 PM   #123
soccermom10
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I got him back. I told him we would be able to walk to Diamond Head. It was not too far. ( He hates walking!) He wanted to kill me after 2 hours of walking up hill and we still weren't there.

Good for you....paybacks are the best
soccermom10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #124
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom10 View Post
Good for you....paybacks are the best
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 03-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #125
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-and-Sea View Post
Good to see you back.

Woodbridge is a bit too far for us to go. Plus, with the price of gas I'm just not willing to drive very far to go out to eat anymore.

But I do loooooove good chips. Yeah, I'm not too much of a salsa person myself.

Speaking of hot food.....last night our school district had its biggest fundraiser - a chilli cookoff. Twenty two entrants. Never did get around to try them all but there was one I totally regretted. The teachers union had an entry and their chilli was so hot I actually was crying and I thought my tongue had burned off.

Don't understand the need to make something so hot that you can't enjoy the flavors.

Did try a yummy one that had chocolate and pineapples in it.

And my dentist always enters. Last year he was one of the top winners. Sadly he didn't win this year - he had a turkey chilli this year. But a friend of ours was the top winner.
My eldest should enter one of those. He makes (or so I am told, I don't do chili) a kick-butt chili. He doesn't make it too spicey that you cry though!!
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #126
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
My eldest should enter one of those. He makes (or so I am told, I don't do chili) a kick-butt chili. He doesn't make it too spicey that you cry though!!
The only hot chili I tried was the teacher's one. That will be the last time I try any of their chili.

The cook-off is such a great fundraiser because the dress is casual, you get to try all the chili and run your silent auctions/basket raffles/50-50 raffles as well. So lots for people for do. The biggest problem is it sells out very quickly.

Its a massive undertaking - takes about 50 people to run it and months to plan.

But they raise ridiculous amount of money.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 04-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #127
fluffy bunny
Mouseketeer

Hi All, just been catching up on the last few weeks exchanges. We are also a scouting family. I am a cub scout leader (have been for over 20 years now, so you can tell the madness has really set in ) Maza is currently our quartermaster and both the girls are currently scouts, so that all takes up a fair amount of our free time. Looks like this years holiday may be a weeks scout camp either in Scotland or Norfolk. Roll on August 2009.

Just reading about you cook-off and it's potential for fund raising, as we are always looking for more money for both the scout group and the girls school as we help on the PTA there as well. It's something I have heard of, but don't have a clue on how it's works. I don't want to bore everybody with an explanation on this thread, but would appreciate a PM with some basic details on how it works. It may be something new we can try over here, as people get fed up with doing the same things every year.
Not over keen on spicy hot food myself, much prefer to actually taste what I'm eating rather than remove skin from my taste buds.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #128
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

DH and DS are planning on attending the BSA National Jamboree in 2010.
Dh is planning on volunteering so he can go.

DD just had her first cookie sale. They did fantastic. They are using someof the money to spend the night at a hotel with a waterpark. All the girls are looking forward to it. I am probably going.

The last time I chaperoned an overnight , it was at a gymnastics placewith all the troops in our neighborhood. About 100 scouts. They asked what time we wanted them to go to bed, I said midnight. Did they take our suggestions? NO!! They stopped using the equipment at 3:30AM. We had to get up at 6AM to leave.

Last week, DH and DS had WEbelos den meeting on Monday, Tuesday-DD and I Brownie meeting, Wednesday-DH and DS outing to Zap ZOne Laser Tag, Sunday-DD and I went ice skating with the neighborhood troops. 75 scouts.

Fluffy Bunny-
are your scouts mixes male and female?
We have friends that live in Canada and they are combined.
We keep hearing rumors that this could happen in USA, but so far rumors.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #129
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Fluffy Bunny

DH is interseted in doing a patch swap with you. Council strips, or patrol badges, or 100 years of scouting stuff.

He was a Cub Scout and Boy scout. He just went to Wood badge training in the FAll. Our Pack is commited to sending 2 leaders from our Pack each year.

I don't know enjoys scouts more DH or DS.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #130
Ski-and-Sea
DIS Veteran

How interesting so many of us are involved with Scouts.

Our Council sells cookies in the fall. A few years ago our Council started a program where we ask our customers to buy boxes to donate to a charity picked by each troop. Its been incredibly sucessful because a lot of people watch their diet and won't buy cookies but they will buy a box if its going to be donated to a needy group.

Regarding hosting a chili cook-off.....ours was a mixture of professional entrants and local "amateurs". Area caterers/restaurants/grocery stores were invited to participate as well as individuals.

I believe each group had to prepare six gallons worth of chili and provide all their own equipment to heat/serve the chili. That included plastic cups/spoons so people can sample your chili.

I think the organizers supplied the tables and they found a venue big enough to hold it in.

Tickets were sold in advance and every ticket gives you a gold coin and you go around sampling the chili and then give the gold coin to the people who's chili you liked the most. At the end of the night the coins are counted and a winner announced.

The tickets were priced so that all the drinks and alcohol were included.

Local businesses donated soda and water and the local wine stores discounted the price of the alcohol.

This was an adult only event.
Aug 2005 Wonder & WDW;
Aug 2006 DCL Double Dip;
Aug 2007 Wonder & WDW;
Old 04-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #131
fluffy bunny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Fluffy Bunny-
are your scouts mixes male and female?
We have friends that live in Canada and they are combined.
We keep hearing rumors that this could happen in USA, but so far rumors.
Yes our scouts have been able to be mixed for a good few years now and as of this year, scout groups have to take girls should they ask to join a group. Our eldest has been through the Beavers, Cubs and Scouts and is about to join the Explorers which is the 14-18 year group. Our youngest started in the Brownies, but decided to come to scouts rather than continue on with Guides.I know I am biased having two girls, but I feel that mixed groups work really well.

Badge Swap sounds like a plan. I will get some stuff together for next year. Lets hope I remember to bring it with me.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #132
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Ski- That sounds like a terrfic fundraiser. I know it took alot of people to pull it off. I use to be very invovled in the PTA.. I was the Presidenet for a year. DS attended the school around the block for K and 1st.

We decided to change schools.

Both kids go to a Charter school. It focus in performaning arts. It has been in the top three charter school in MIchigan for the last three years. DS's teacher last year was Mi teacher of the year. The staff is excellent. They have drama, tap, orchestra, mural painting, creative writing etc. as elective classes for 3rd-6th grade.

What we really like is the building is two years old. They just built the high school addition over the summer. They will not have to switch schools. Both kids hate that they have to wear a uniform.

It is wonderful to have so many of us interested in scouting.
I think that over time we will have mixed troops. It is hard to get parents involved in scouting. We are lucky our Pack has 50 boys. When they cross over, they move into the Troop, then Venturing. We will push DD into venturing.

Fluffy Bunny- DH will be excited about Badge Swap. I'll have to remind him, too. If we forget them, we can always mail them.
It
Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #133
fluffy bunny
Mouseketeer

Ski-and-Sea

thanks for the info on the cook-off. Sounds like a great idea, but I am not sure whether it would work over here. I can't see many businesses wanting to take part, but you never know. May just have to stick to the summar fair's and chocolate bingo.

stsomewhere, 50 kids in one pack! We have a maximum of 24, mainly due to the number of leaders and the size of the school hall we meet in, and that seems like to many at times. I know what you mean with regards getting parents to help. We have a few which are always there helping transport kit to camps, summar fairs etc, but most just drop the kids off and pick them up later. Saying that, we had nearly 100 at our family camp last September (two weeks after we got off the Wonder), made up of Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Parents. Thankfully we have a strong leadership team at the moment, which means we don't have to rely on parents to help at our weekly meetings.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #134
trimix
DIS Veteran

Twelve years ago I first dreamed of a Disney cruise and, unfortunately, life has very effectively prevented me from taking a cruise. Until now! In late February, discussing the subject with my DW, she agreed to let me book a cruise for summer 2009 - it will give us ample time to save everything needed beyond the deposit.

I cannot tell you all how happy I have been for the last few weeks, as I have known that I will finally be taking a cruise and returning to some of my favorite dive locations!

Is anybody here besides me an avid diver? My DW likes to say "I'm not afraid of the water, I'm afraid of what's in the water!" DD-14 is not interested in diving, and DS-6 is too young. I won't be doing any technical diving on this trip; as tempting as it is to visit the ancient beach 300 feet below the sea off Grand Cayman, I don't want an elevated risk of DCS to cut the trip short. So if you are an active recreational diver, let me know!

I am looking forward to getting to know you all, and meeting you on the cruise!
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #135
soccermom10
Earning My Ears

Welcome Trimix!

Congrats on finally booking your trip You and your family are going to love it!
soccermom10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: