Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #1351
lynninpa

Help yourself! I just made a few new batches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnell View Post
I just got the Delicious Disney cookbook. Do we already have all of these recipes?
I guess the only way to see what recipes we already have posted from that cookbook is to compare it to the index on page one. Looking forward to seeing your posts, sconnell!
lynninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #1352
lynninpa

Question Fried Boursin

Sometimes I get so busy reading posts, searching for recipes & updating recipe lists that I forget to ask questions I have!
I have a couple of questions about making Fried Boursin like they serve at the PTC. Is this something that needs to be eaten soon or can it be allowed to sit like at a cocktail party? Also, has anyone tried this recipe with the apple & cranberry Boursin? I thought that would be a nice evening treat.

Last edited by lynninpa; 02-08-2008 at 10:47 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #1353
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Flame Tree BBQ Sauce & Rub review

I haven't made the fried Boursin but I did make the Flame Tree BBQ Sauce & Rub for an oven baked chicken tonight. It's a really yummy sauce and the only thing I might change is using less Worcestershire sauce as the taste is quite strong.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 PM   #1354
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnell View Post
I just got the Delicious Disney cookbook. Do we already have all of these recipes?
I started to post the ones that are not found online and posted some where the version was different than what was online but haven't done them all by a long shot. Thanks for offering to post the missing ones

Old 02-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #1355
bnf2
DIS Veteran

Help! Cinnamon Roll Qs

A few Qs for anyone that has made the Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Rolls.

I consider myself fairly good in the kitchen, but I'm not a baker- aside from simple cakes, pies, etc. So if it's not in my bread machine- yeast projects are never attempted! I got up at 7:30 to start these and need a little help/clarification while this is fresh in my mind:

1. When you mix the pudding, do you mix it until it's really thick like pudding? It just seemed so strange to me- almost taking on a curdled look when the flour started going in.

2. My standard Kitchen Aid mixer w/the dough hook is what I used... not big enough! Did you all just mix by hand? Anyone use their bread machine?

3. Anyone start them the night before and put in fridge before the first rise? Again, I'm not a yeast baker.

OK, that's all for now. I'm sure I'll be back with more Qs later They are in the first rise right now... told the kids to eat a bowl of cereal and we'd have them for lunch!

Natalie

DH & Me , DD 11 , DS 11
March 1973 & September 1976- Ft. Wilderness; September 1979- Polynesian; June 1996 Old Key West; October 2004-Coronado Springs (first trip as a parent & surprise b-day trip for the twins w/my entire family!); September 2006- Pop; December 2007- Christmas trip w/2 other Disney-Crazy Families, offsite- Bonnet Creek; October 2011- Twins turn 12 Port Orleans- French Quarter
bnf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #1356
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnf2 View Post
A few Qs for anyone that has made the Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Rolls.

I consider myself fairly good in the kitchen, but I'm not a baker- aside from simple cakes, pies, etc. So if it's not in my bread machine- yeast projects are never attempted! I got up at 7:30 to start these and need a little help/clarification while this is fresh in my mind:

1. When you mix the pudding, do you mix it until it's really thick like pudding? It just seemed so strange to me- almost taking on a curdled look when the flour started going in.

2. My standard Kitchen Aid mixer w/the dough hook is what I used... not big enough! Did you all just mix by hand? Anyone use their bread machine?

3. Anyone start them the night before and put in fridge before the first rise? Again, I'm not a yeast baker.

OK, that's all for now. I'm sure I'll be back with more Qs later They are in the first rise right now... told the kids to eat a bowl of cereal and we'd have them for lunch!

Natalie
By this time, you have probably already gobbled up the cinnamon buns yet I will answer your questions anyway going by my experience when I made them a few weeks ago. By the way, they came out great!

1. I mixed the milk & pudding mix with a hand mixer until well blended but not too thick, about 2 minutes as it says on the package.

2. I used a very large bowl and mixed the ingredients at first with a hand mixer. I then mixed by hand until well blended and the dough was smooth.

3. I started in the morning. The yeast bloomed beautifully. The water temp and the sugar are key!

What did you think of the frosting, bnf2? Please let us know how they turned out!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #1357
bnf2
DIS Veteran

Cin. Buns & Maui Potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
By this time, you have probably already gobbled up the cinnamon buns yet I will answer your questions anyway going by my experience when I made them a few weeks ago. By the way, they came out great!

1. I mixed the milk & pudding mix with a hand mixer until well blended but not too thick, about 2 minutes as it says on the package.

2. I used a very large bowl and mixed the ingredients at first with a hand mixer. I then mixed by hand until well blended and the dough was smooth.

3. I started in the morning. The yeast bloomed beautifully. The water temp and the sugar are key!

What did you think of the frosting, bnf2? Please let us know how they turned out!
Actually... no. They are in the oven now; didn't rise very quickly. They look amazing- about 10 min. left to go.

The pudding- yep, that's what I did- about 2 min.

Yeast seemed fine and I know the water temp was good.

Now I'm mad because I *always* have cream cheese... so I didn't buy any... I'm out!!! Now we'll have just plain icing

I think next time I will make them the night before- to the point of rising after rolling- put them in the fridge, and pull out the next morning to rise the last time. My bunch is patient- we made muffins for breakfast and will now have a cinnamon roll before lunch

I'll be back in bit to report on the finished product.

Oh- made the Maui Scalloped Potatoes for dinner last night... big hit!

DH & Me , DD 11 , DS 11
March 1973 & September 1976- Ft. Wilderness; September 1979- Polynesian; June 1996 Old Key West; October 2004-Coronado Springs (first trip as a parent & surprise b-day trip for the twins w/my entire family!); September 2006- Pop; December 2007- Christmas trip w/2 other Disney-Crazy Families, offsite- Bonnet Creek; October 2011- Twins turn 12 Port Orleans- French Quarter

Last edited by bnf2; 02-09-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #1358
bnf2
DIS Veteran

Cin. Roll Pics/Review

Yummy! The Main Street Bakery Cinnmon Rolls are a hit! I think the rolls are missing something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Had to make do with regular powdered sugar icing as I was out of cream cheese (maybe that's the something!)

My kiddos... still in jammies at 1:00... enjoying the cinnamon rolls The rolls were huge... as big as saucers-and they had the *small* ones!

DH & Me , DD 11 , DS 11
Old 02-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #1359
lynninpa

Quote:
Yummy! The Main Street Bakery Cinnmon Rolls are a hit! I think the rolls are missing something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Had to make do with regular powdered sugar icing as I was out of cream cheese (maybe that's the something!)
Looking at the pic of your children I can tell they were a big hit! I used the cream cheese frosting and although it was good, I think I will use the traditonal powdered sugar icing next time.
How many rolls did your recipe make? I actually cut the recipe in half and made them a bit smaller and ended up with 12 yummy rolls.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #1360
bnf2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
How many rolls did your recipe make? I actually cut the recipe in half and made them a bit smaller and ended up with 12 yummy rolls.
I made the full batch and ended up with 17 saucer sized ones and 2 about half that size (the end pieces). I think next time I'll just make half- maybe then my mixer can handle it!

I didn't frost the whole batch so I can store them easier... will put cream cheese frosting on a few tomorrow morning.

OK- now off to make sure I have everything for tonight's dinner: San Angel's Pollo A Las Rajas & the Sopa de Elote Had both of those on our December trip...it's a Disney food weekend here!

DH & Me , DD 11 , DS 11
Old 02-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #1361
lynninpa

Quote:

...it's a Disney food weekend here!
Cool! I was planning on making a couple of recipes this weekend, too, but looks like I am coming down with the flu. Please let us know how tonight's dinner comes out, bnf2!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #1362
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
I did make the Flame Tree BBQ Sauce & Rub for an oven baked chicken tonight. It's a really yummy sauce and the only thing I might change is using less Worcestershire sauce as the taste is quite strong.
Thanks for your tip on the Worcestershire sauce, Tatania! I have always thought that it can "make or break" a dish.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #1363
hardingk
DVC Member since 2007 AKV & BLT

Does anyone have the receipe for the Sweet Potato Pancakes at Boatwright's? They are Dh's FAVORITE!! We have to eat there everytime we visit!
WDW:7/13 AKVK, 6/3 BWV, 12/12 AKVK, 11/12 BLT, 9/12 AKVJ, 2/12 AKVJ, 12/11 SSR, 11/11 AKV, 10/11 BLT & VWL, 9/11 AKVJ, 3/11 VBR & AKVK, 8/10 AKVK, 7/10 POFQ, 5/10 AKVK, 1/10 AKVJ, 12/09 OKW, 11/09 AKVK, 9/09 BLT, 8/09 POP, 5/09 AKVK, 1/09 AKVJ, 12/08 AKVJ, 11/08 OKW, 04/08 SSR, 9/07 WL, 8/07 CBR, 7/07 SSR & POP, 05/07 POR, 4/07 CSR, 5/05 CSR, 1/03 AS Sports, 7/90 CR, 7/86 POLY, 7/83 CR, 7/79. DLR: 7/11 PPH & VGC, 7/09 GCH, 3/07 DCL: 9/11 Dream, 8/12 Magic, 9/12 Fantasy, 2/13 B2B Wonder, 12/13 Dream
Cast: Me , DH , DD
hardingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #1364
lynninpa

Boatwright's: Sweet Potato Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardingk View Post
Does anyone have the receipe for the Sweet Potato Pancakes at Boatwright's? They are Dh's FAVORITE!! We have to eat there everytime we visit!
Here you go, hardingk! Enjoy!

Boatwright's: Sweet Potato Pancakes

Yield:
12-15 pancakes

Pancakes:
1 & 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 & 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12-ounce can sweet potato, mashed

Pecan Honey Butter:
1 stick butter (at room temperature)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup toasted pecans

To make pecan honey butter, combine butter, honey and toasted pecans. Set aside.

To make the pancakes, combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir in
milk and beaten eggs. Add oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Fold in
the mashed sweet potatoes (should result in a lumpy texture). In a small
nonstick frying pan, heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil over medium heat.
Pour in batter to desired size. Cook until dark brown (sweet potato
pancakes take a little longer to cook than regular pancakes because
of the density of the sweet potatoes). Serve pancakes warm with pecan
honey butter.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #1365
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:

My kiddos... still in jammies at 1:00... enjoying the cinnamon rolls The rolls were huge... as big as saucers-and they had the *small* ones!
How adorable. I love seeing pictures of Disney food as much as I love reading the recipe reviews. I have yet to try the Cinnamon buns and have added all your comments to my files.

I'm going to have to remember to take pics next weekend as well, when I do the all DISNEY birthday dinner for DS and familly. I've decided to stick primarily to Poly resort recipes and have the Narcoossee's cheescake for dessert. I want to make that light fluffy bread with the honey butter they serve at the Kona cafe to go with the Kona salad.

Looking forward to hearing how the Mexican dishes turn out.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: