Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

solo trip report!

Hello, I'm Molly, and perhaps I should belong to Disney Anonymous. If I were TRULY a member of that I would have to sneak an e on the end of anonymous, wouldn't I? So I'm OK, right? Not really in need of an intervention before I go again?

Well in this case, it was an intervention if sorts that caused my solo trip. An intervention of "you are getting more tired and crabby every day, I don't think you should wait until April, maybe we can make a quick trip happen" from my hubby. And I was tired. We had a vacay in December, and you can read that report somewhere on this page or perhaps the second one in to the trip reports. About 1.5 days in DLR with my 3 year old, then at midnight hubby arrived, we spent 2.5 days all together in the parks, then hubby left around 2pm on that third day of his trip, to go back home to work the next day. My brother arrived later that day, and DS and I spent nine days in San Diego, in a ChildFree home. My brother and SIL love my son, but he was grating on everyone's nerves.

And that, my friends, was because I was selfish with a capital S. So, um, Selfish. I wanted to visit my bro and be away from WA for 9 days, so that's what I planned, the feelings of my boy be gosh-gollied! Selfish. I was also selfish at DLR, wanting everyone to get up and go when I did, being bothered when Every Single Day I was "late" getting there. But when I did try to just go and let them sleep in, they pitched their own sorts of fits.

So I got home very cranky. Perhaps I should scan, or take a picture of, the picture Eamon drew of me when we were on the plane...he does the age-perfect figures of people. BIIIIIG head, legs going straight down from the head, sometimes there are arms...the expression on his self-portrait is a smile. On DH's portrait it's a smile. On mine, his beloved mother, is a really nasty, grim, mean expression. He said "that's you, Mowy!" whimper.

And so...DH said "let's make this happen." And happen it did.

Friday the 25th I caught my 7:50am flight. Switched planes in Sacramento and sat myself, kerplunk, right behind a newly-3 year old girl who was going to...where? where could this 3 year old possibly be going while on a flight from Sac'to to Orange county? oh you're good, you got it! Disneyland! Disneyland! Disneyland! That's what she kept saying, loudly and excitedly. And then she played peekaboo with me, and her mother tried to stop her until I told mom it was OK, just like I do with DS when he plays peekaboo with people on planes...stop them unless you're told it's OK.

So, um, hi, guilt? Yeah hi, I see you stopped in....go away!

I've never been away from DS, not even in sleep, before. I mean, not overnight. DH is quite proficient at parenting the boy, so I do get out. I even let my friend watch him one afternoon, while I went to a baby shower. But overnight? nope. So this was rough.

I got in, went to SuperShuttle at the ground transportation area. Oh, by the way, I liked the OC airport (aka SNA in airport code speak). Cute, just big enough, just small enough...pleasant.

The drive was fast and pleasant, with a conventioneer from Wisconsin who has never been to a Disney park, and never plans to go to a Disney park. Yowza.

I stayed at the Carousel. I had a good rate. Or so I thought. 48 hours before my stay, when I would have had to cancel at 72 hours out per either Carousel or Travelocity, I noticed that Paradise Pier had a $139 rate for their AP5 promo. More than Carousel, but with MM. And HoJo had released more Entertainment Rate rooms at $20 less than I was paying for the Carousel.

But...Carousel is closer, and even though I knew I'd be traveling with The Herd, I did feel safer on this solo trip staying as close to the park as possible.

Carousel and Anabella are the same company, so don't be surprised that they look just the same inside their rooms. I didn't know they were the same so I was a bit weirded out! I liked Anabella better, though...service is better at Anabee, and they have a proper restaurant instead of Quizno's on speeddial.

Unzoomed view from right outside my 4th floor room.

Zoomyzoom...man, that hotel back there is ugly! They should really renovate it or something. I've heard it's haunted.

The room.

I'm editing in info here, because I feel better about them after having sleep since last night. The edited in stuff will be italicized.

Review of Carousel! Meh. The continental breakfast is really sad. Donuts, fruit, bleah coffee in tiny cups with no lids. Some sort of juice in a machine, cereals... They did have the option to buy warmed-over breakfast Sammies from Quiznos, but they had meat in them. You could also buy lattes and such. But I was paying $20 more than I would have at hojos if I had know HJ had released the Entertainment rate so late in the game! I checked and checked, and a week out I got busy and forgot, and I lost. I didn't want to pay money to supplement a sad "free" b'fast.

The breakfast...I have an expectation with a continental b'fast, and that is pastries, not donuts. Or pastries AND donuts. But still, pastries. Some goopy danish that I never eat anywhere else. And that wasn't met.

Also, honestly, I was running late so I could only have a small amount of coffee due to their cup sizes. If I had been on time I could have had refills.

When I got back to the hotel late that night, a shower with hot water (the water got VERY wonderfully hot!) to help sore feet (I was going to take a bath but ewwww, not in that tub...it was actually better than apartment tubs I've lived with, but at least in those apartments I knew that I was indeed cleaning them, and that if it was scummy looking, at least it was clean but scummy looking) caused the smoke detector to go off. Repeatedly. If anyone here was nearby, I do apologize. One does not expect steam to set off a smoke detector. At least, I didn't. Now I do.

If I hadn't been alone, that wouldn't have happened. A companion would have told me it was getting steamy, or would have turned on the a/c. So that only happened because I was alone. Now, should it have gotten that steamy? I don't know.

The bed was very very comfy, and I slept like a rock. I woke up in the exact same position that I fell to sleep in, which was flat on my back, and that's not my normal sleeping pose. I'm a side-sleeper, but it was so comfy and I was so tired that I just passed out! The sheets are soft and pretty (I'm a sucker for white sheets).

There was a fridge and a microwave in the big bureau. They were both to the right; I didn't know there was a microwave until I got curious and opened the cabinet above the fridge. I assume there was a TV and drawers on the left, but I never looked.

They did very kindly keep my one and only bag for me the next day, when I checked out around 7:30am, and they let me rummage around in it when I got there after 5pm to wait for my shuttle. They did not, however, let me know that the shuttle had arrived, as they said they would. Harumph.

By the way, here's the view to the right directly upon hitting the sidewalk outside the Carousel. I did use a little bit of zoom on that picture. I remembered that while getting to sleep last night. Not much, and you could read the sign with the naked eye, but there is a bit of zoom. You can see a guy walking, and to give perspective, he's walking across the street between HoJo and Mimi's...that crosswalk is a big one, but it looks small in the picture.

That's right. You can see the HJ sign. Nothing's *that* far away (well, until the nighttime walk back, but that's just relative distance, ha ha). My feelings about the Carousel were too colored by annoyance at the "deal" not being as good as I could have gotten elsewhere at the last minute. I booked through Travelocity at a AAA rate that I could have gotten through them, but I was wanting to get Sunshine Rewards credits for booking through Travelocity (and I did) so I went through them instead of direct. I don't know who set the policy, but my reservation required cancellation before 72 hours out, and I had forgotten it was that far in advance, so that was my fault and I shouldn't blame Carousel.

Their b'fast room is smaller than it appears online, but has a great view! Watching fireworks from there would be incredible, even though you wouldn't hear the "story" or see the stuff on the castle or IASW.

Next...I go across the street!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 01-28-2008 at 01:10 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: