Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #1111
lynninpa

Help yourself! I just made a few new batches!

Contemporary Resort: Sticky Mickeys

Just wondering if anyone has ever had or made these? I think they would be get on a lazy Sunday morning!

Contemporary Resort: Sticky Mickeys

Yield: 1 1/2 dozen

1 cup water (warm)
4 teaspoon yeast
4 eggs
1 stick butter
5 cups bread flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons milk powder
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup cinnamon sugar
Sugar Icing (see below)
Caramel sauce for serving (see below)

1. Heat oven to 380 F. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Let bloom for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except last butter and cinnamon sugar, and mix at low speed with electric mixer until smooth and elastic, about 10-12 minutes.
2. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch dough down, and cut into 56 (1-ounce) pieces using a scale. Roll dough into small balls.
3. Take three balls, hold together, dunk in melted butter, and press into cinnamon sugar. Place in large muffin pan, sugar side down. Let proof in warm area, until dough is doubled in size again. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown. Take out of muffin pan while still warm. Cool, and cover with icing.
4. To serve, place a Sticky Mickey on a plate. Slit down into the Mickey. Pour caramel sauce into slit.

How to make sugar icing: Mix 1 cup powdered sugar with 1 to 2 tablespoons water until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth and runs in a ribbon when poured from a spoon.
How to make caramel sauce: Melt 1/2 stick butter in pan on medium heat. Stir in 3/4 cup brown sugar; mix well. Add 3/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and continuously stir for 5 minutes. Stir with a whip and slowly add 1 cup heavy whipping cream. Once cream is added, continue to cook for 5 minutes. Keep warm.
lynninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #1112
disney54us
SHE'S GONE, OH MY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
That sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe and your tips, disney54us! We have been invited to a "Beat The Winter Blues" Party with a tropical theme-this sounds perfect to bring, doesn't it?!
I think that would work. Love the "Beat The Winter Blues" party idea, that would work too. Sticky Mickey's never had them, but they do sound good.

I've been unbirthday'd

tiggerfan1

THERE IS A DREAM IN PA MISSING
THERE SHE GOES! WAITING
SPARTANS NEVER DIE

1929-2008
disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #1113
glennsgirl762
My Heart Belongs To Disney!! I Am A Member of The Dopey Five

Just found this thread and love it so I'm subscribing Yummmmmmmmmmm!
2001-Tropical Palms 2003-Vistana
2004-CBR 2005-CSR 2006-CBR 2007-POFQ
2010-POR 2012-AKL 2014 ASMu

WE DON'T STOP LAUGHING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD, WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP LAUGHING!
glennsgirl762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #1114
lynninpa

Yacht & Beach Club: Hurricane Hanna

Yacht & Beach Club: Hurricane Hanna

Yield: 1 serving.

1 ounce Myers's Rum
3/4 ounce peach schnapps
3 ounces orange juice
Splash grenadine
1/2 ounce Bacardi 151 Rum
Cherry and orange slice for garnish

Fill hurricane glass with ice. Combine Myers's rum, schnapps, orange juice and grenadine. Pour over ice. Top off with Bacardi 151 rum. Garnish with cherry and orange slice.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #1115
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsgirl762 View Post
Just found this thread and love it so I'm subscribing Yummmmmmmmmmm!
Welcome to the Recipe Exchange, glennsgirl!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #1116
disney54us
SHE'S GONE, OH MY!

Here's another!

Hoop-Dee-Doo-Musical Revue Cornbread
Recipe serving size: A whole pan (We ain't fancy at the fort.)

3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk

1. blend flour, cornmeal, salt baking powder and sugar in a mixing bowl.

2. In a separate bowl, blend milk, eggs and oil with a hand-held mixer.

3. Using that same mixer, slowly add the blended liquid to the dry
ingredients prepared in step 1, , mixing just enough to incorporate the
wet and dry ingredients.

4. Spray a 9x13 inch cake pan with non-stick food spray, and pour the
batter into the into the pan, spreading evenly.

5. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until
bread is golden brown.

6. Allow to cool. Then cut, eat, sing and throw your hands in the air like
you just don't care. (or just eat, your call)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnf2
One note: the ingredient list does not list the 2 eggs needed.

I've been unbirthday'd

tiggerfan1

THERE SHE GOES! WAITING
SPARTANS NEVER DIE

1929-2008

Last edited by piratesmate; 04-09-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added note re: missing ingredient
Old 01-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #1117
lynninpa

We now have 300 recipes here on the Disney Recipe Exchange!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #1118
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney54us View Post
Hoop-Dee-Doo-Musical Revue Cornbread
301 recipes and counting-thanks, disney54us! I wonder how long it will take us to reach 500 recipes?!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #1119
disney54us
SHE'S GONE, OH MY!

Great Job! So glad I was told about this thread
I've be going through the pages (in no particular order), just enjoy reading the recipes and hint's. Even DH who usually shakes his head when he sees me on the boards, found it interesting when I told him about this thread and how you've indexed it and put it together. So thanks again for putting this all together and all the people that seem to work magic w/the chef's to get so many recipes.

I've been unbirthday'd

tiggerfan1

THERE SHE GOES! WAITING
SPARTANS NEVER DIE

1929-2008
Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 PM   #1120
lynninpa

Quote:
Great Job! So glad I was told about this thread
I've be going through the pages (in no particular order), just enjoy reading the recipes and hint's. Even DH who usually shakes his head when he sees me on the boards, found it interesting when I told him about this thread and how you've indexed it and put it together. So thanks again for putting this all together and all the people that seem to work magic w/the chef's to get so many recipes.
And a "Thank You," to you , too, my fellow Disney Foodie! It's a team effort and you have posted some great recipes!!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #1121
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
PORK TENDERLOIN
Served at The Edmund's Family Low-Country Boil at
Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbs. garlic powder
2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 lbs. pork tenderloin

*Dissolve brown sugar in apple cider vinegar. Add spices and mix thoroughly.

*Stir in oil, and pour mixture over tenderloin in a baking pan. Marinate the pork for at least 4 hours (24 hours is best).

*Once marinated, either remove the pork from the pan and grill to desired temp. (150F recommended), or keep it in the pan and roast in oven, uncovered, at 350F for 25 minutes (or until meat reaches 150F).

*While cooking the meat, reduce the excess marinade in a saucepan at a medium-low setting. The marinade will boil and then foam as it cooks. Stir often, and be careful to protect against any boil-over, Pour finished glaze over the sliced pork, or use it to accompany vegetables.
That sounds very good and I'll be trying it out. I haven't been able to find out much about the history of that restaurant because currently the Hilton Head Resort only has snack bar type places and no sit-down restaurant.

First visit to WDW in 1976. Many times since then.

Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #1122
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Review of Jiko: Cucumber, Tomato & Red Onion Salad

Review of Jiko: Cucumber, Tomato & Red Onion Salad page 54

The salad part is basically a Greek -type salad with arugula on top. The concept of two dressings is interesting however. I wasn't wild about the Vanilla dressing as it was a little too "vinegary" but I bet if one uses a first class white balsamic (instead of something from Safeway) this might change. I've tasted top aged balsamics in Italy that are so sweet you hardly know it's vinegar!

The Melon dressing was odd for me because I rarely do fruit dressings but it works when the two dressings blend as they inevitably do while eating the salad. Not sure I'd serve this one for a dinner party. For me it's a 3 out of 5.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #1123
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Le Cellier - Duck Confit

On the Menu as:
Duck Confit - with crispy prosciutto ham and **pomegranate molasses.
Le Cellier, courtesy of Sous Chef Albert Riviello

12 duck legs
1/2 pound parsley
1/2 pound rosemary
1/2 pound thyme
4 ounces peppercorn
1 ounce star anise
5 bay leaves
6 ounces course or Kosher salt
3 pounds duck fat (cost as 1/3)

On a drying rack lined with cheesecloth large enough to hold the duck legs in a single layer, sprinkle all herbs, peppercorns, and spices, saving some of the salt for the next step. Salt and pepper the duck legs completely on all sides. Arrange the duck, skin-side up, over the herb/salt mixture.

Place another piece of cheesecloth on top of the product. Cover and weight the duck for 72 hours. Rinse the duck of all salt and pepper and dry thoroughly. Preheat the oven to 225°F. Melt the duck fat in a saucepan. Arrange the duck legs in a single snug layer in a high-sided baking dish or ovenproof saucepan. Cover with fat. Pour the melted fat over the duck (the duck pieces should be covered by fat) and place the confit in the oven. Cook the confit slowly at a very slow simmer — just an occasional bubble — until the duck is tender and can be easily pulled from the bone – 2 - 3 hours. Remove the confit from the oven. Cool and store the duck in the fat. (The confit will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.)

To serve confit:
Lift the duck legs out of the fat and wipe off most but not quite all of it with kitchen paper. Put them skin-side up onto a rack resting over a roasting tin and roast for 15-20 minutes until the skin is crisp and golden and the meat has heated through. Alternatively, sauté the legs in a frying pan over a medium heat until crisp, golden and heated through. Or place Duck Legs in an oven dish skin side down under a hot grill for about 5 minutes, turn over and allow to thoroughly heat through and the skin to crisp and brown.
It is served whole and warm on a bed of mixed greens. The proscuitto and pomegranate mixture are sprinkled over the top of the duck.

NB: Strain and reserve the duck fat for later use. Keep it cool. In Jan. ‘08 this was served with crispy prosciutto ham and pomegranate molasses as an appetizer.

Prep. Note: Other standard recipes say you can use a container large enough to hold the duck legs in a single layer. They also say to sprinkle only half the herbs and salt on the bottom and the rest on top of the duck. The other recipes cover and refrigerate the meat for 1-2 days. Epicurious uses about 5 TBSP. salt for that amount of duck because too much salt makes the duck too tough and salty to use in anything but stews.

"Once esteemed as a preservation method, cooking and keeping duck in its rendered fat results in meltingly tender, moist, and extremely flavorful meat which can be used in a variety of simple preparations. Can be served hot or cold. Sear the duck legs in a hot skillet or shred the meat and add it to salads (tempers the saltiness), stews or duck rillettes. Just remember the duck must be salted a day before you plan to cook it."

**Pomegranate molasses is used primarily in Mediterranean cooking. It is also called pomegranate syrup, because of it's consistency.
Expert Paula Wolfert, says: "Pomegranate molasses is an essential ingredient...has a wonderful flavor and a heady aroma, and its thickness and dark color make food look very appealing. It keeps almost indefinitely in the refrigerator. The uses for this thick, tangy, piquant syrup are many. It blends well with walnuts, adds a tart and pungent flavor to beans, sharpens the taste of poultry, gives a clean, tart taste to fish, gives an astringent edge to salads and vegetables, and is a great tenderizer for lamb and pork. It can also be diluted and used for sharp drinks and tart sorbets."

Sold by the bottle.

Last edited by Tatania; 01-28-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 PM   #1124
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Cassoulet

Another recipe with Duck confit.

Cassoulet
Epcot International Food and Wine Festival, France

Beans:
4 cups dry White Navy Beans
½ lb. fresh Pork Fat
½ tbsp. Salt
½ lb. fresh Pork Rinds, tied in a bundle
1 medium-sized Carrot
1 medium-sized Onion, stuck with
1 Clove
Bouquet Garni: Parsley, sprig of thyme,
½ bay leaf, 3 garlic cloves
Meat:
1¾ lb. Smoked Ham
4 pieces of Duck Confit
Salt & pepper
4 medium-sized Onions, chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
Bouquet Garni
5 tbsp. thick Tomato Puree
½ lb. uncooked Garlic Sausage
2 tbsp. fresh Bread Crumbs

Beans:
Soak 4 cups white navy beans in cold water for two hours; drain. Place in saucepan with 4 quarts cold water, add pork fat. Heat slowly to boiling point, skim & boil for 5 minutes; drain. Rinse the pan and return the beans & pork fat into it along with 2 quarts of water, salt, pork rinds, carrot, onion and the bouquet garni. Cook over low heat.
The beans should remain whole and be perfectly cooked without being mushy.

Meat:
Place some drippings in a skillet and brown the ham, season with salt & pepper. When the ham is well browned put it in a large skillet containing onion, bouquet garni, and garlic. Add the tomato puree, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Moisten with some stock from the stock pot.
When the beans are almost cooked remove the vegetables and the bouquet garni and add the ham, onions, garlic sausage, duck confit, and simmer gently for one hour. Remove all the meat from the beans and drain, reserving the rind.
Cut the meat into equal size pieces. Cut the rind into rectangles and layer the rind in an earthenware dish. Add a layer of beans, meats, then beans again; seasoning each layer with pepper. On top of the final layer place pieces of the fat, the remaining rind and some sliced sausage. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and duck fat.
Cook gently in the oven at 300° for 2 hours. Remove the cover 15 minutes before to brown.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #1125
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatania View Post
Le Cellier: Duck Confit and F&WF: Cassoulet
Thank you, Tatania! I have never cooked duck before-I just might give it a try!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: