Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #181
caitty13
DIS Veteran

We were at AK this same morning then had dinner at 50's prime cafe later in the evening. I only once saw one person with a Lime green mickey on there backpack. Wednesday evening at the poly. I like reading your TR, we stayed at POR so it's fun seeing if we might have crossed path's at one time or another.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #182
Hedy
I'm 22 27 and I still kind of stammer
If you're old enough to hold a job, you're old enough to not burn popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Disney Fan View Post
Please tell me you did the "Bird Show".

I fell down immediately after getting of PW. Haven't ridden it since.

I've never done Nemo. Gotta give it a day in court next year.
Nope, I'm afraid of birds.
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*
'Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #184
Hedy

Chapter 5: Tusker House review and boing, boing!

I got to Tusker House a little before my 11:55 ADR. There were some drummers playing while I was waiting. There was this little girl in those sparkly mouse ears who was just dancing her little heart out-it was adorable. When my buzzer went off, I went up to see a guy throwing a fit that he had to wait for his ADR.

Before I get to my play-by-play, review, I’d like to summarize my thoughts. I liked Tusker House for lunch, I liked it a lot, in fact. However, I don’t think I’ll ever eat there again. It’s too pricey for lunch, imo, especially when for $5 more you can have Boma in its entire splendor. But I did like it, a lot. However, I’m thinking next time for lunch I may actually bus myself over to AKL and have a falafel sandwich and zebra domes.

Anyway, my waiter’s name was Chris, and he was excellent. I had a lousy server experience at CM’s last year, so I was wary about solo buffeting it up this time, nut Chris was great-my dirty plates were always gone by the time I returned, and he kept my cokewithnoiceplease filled and ice-free at all times.

Now, onto the chow:

Bread course: there’s “corn bread,” which was VERY good-it was like a peasant loaf studded with sweet corn. There was also chocolate mango bread, which was good, but I prefer a savory bread. The flatbread and hummus was also excellent.

Salad course: tomato cucumber salad, which was good, but I was slightly disappointed in the tomato-it wasn’t as fresh as I would have liked. There’s also an apple, blue cheese, and endive salad-I really liked it, and I’m generally not an endive person. The couscous salad was ok, but nothing spectacular. The golden raisin and rice salad was good, though.

Food itself. Chris said the samosas were a favorite among the staff. I thought they were good (I’m a big samosa fan) but nothing you couldn’t get at your local Indian restaurant, imo. The tandoori tofu was excellent-perfectly prepared and tasty. The couscous was good, better than the salad couscous, but the vegetables in it were slightly cold. The pearl couscous was ok, but slightly slimy.

More food. I had more samosas with chutney, and cornbread. I also had basmati rice (good), orzo with spinach, tomato and feta (ok), and root veggies with saffron (good).

Dessert! Chris had recommended the chocolate cake, which was good. I’d heard about the banana bread pudding from both Chris and Kevin on the podcast, and it lived up to its reputation. Thre chololate lava cake was ok, as was the passion fruit tart.

I went shopping, and picked up YoungestBrother, who I had in our family’s Christmas/Hanukah draw, an Animal Kingdom t-shirt. I then headed back to the room, where I checked my e-mail and my respective boards. I also double-checked an e-mail I had gotten from my DSIL (DisneyMSF) regarding a trip that may be occurring with them, Middlebrother, DSIL and the boys in August. I then picked up my in-room phone and booked myself a bounce-back. I’m just going down for a long weekend, as WDW isn’t my main vacation next year, but I’m so excited to finally be there the same time as my nephews. I’ll be at POP-it was cheaper than POFQ by enough that it seemed worth it, plus they’ll be at AKV or BCV. If the Swolphin does their $125 rates again and they go for BVC I may switch, but otherwise I’m good.
I downed an Excedrin migraine and headed off to MGM to meet M.

Chapter 6: Lights, lights,action
4/93-Dixie Landings*12/96-Dixie Landings*2/02-POR*DLR-8/05-Royal Stovall's Inn*3/06-POR*12/07-POFQ**8/08-POP/Dolphin*10/09-POFQSwan 12/10*Podcast cruise 12/10*AKV 8/11*AoA 1/13*AoA 4/13 Universal: 7/08 HRH, 7/09 RPR, 8/10 RPR
*A vegetarian and pescetarian do Disney dining 12/07*Hedy and the Carnivores 08/08*Hedy and Lexie Rock Vegas 12/08*

Last edited by Hedy; 12-29-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #185
Hedy

Happy Holidays, all!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #186
Hedy

It's too early to start a pre-TR for my August trip, so I'll follow in the steps of many great trip reporters and start mini-trip reporting on here. Fear not, another update is coming.
However, a few things have occurred regarding my August trip (tripette?).
1. I have received permission to loook after the boys for a night while the brothers and SILs go out. So far, thoughts include such role modelish activities are getting a kitchen sink.
2. I learned I have one more vacation day than I thought. This means the carried over day is actually two (unless I get unwaitlisted and get Monday off). Therefore, I could go Thursday-Sunday, instead of Friday-Sunday. However, I'd lose my bounceback discount, so we shall see.
3. Jet Blue flights came out. I could book now (but I'm not going to, as I'm waiting for the 7 month window to see if the rest of my party is going to be at BCV or change their dates).

Old 12-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #187
girlbomb
Mouseketeer

I'm glad to hear you booked a bounceback. Sounds like a great one, too! Especially with your plan to get a kitchen sink with your nephews. Me and DH gotta make more friends so we can order one of those one day...
Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #188
Montana Disney Fan
GAT-Master Extraordinaire
A little off topic

I've never eaten at Tusker House so it was awesome to see a detailed report on it. I think they recently "changed" it didn't they? I think it used to be counter service... :

I hear you about Boma.

I like your kitty.

I used FF Miles to book United at exactly the 11 month window for Oct 08 trip. We're all nuts!
Old 12-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #189
Hedy

Having checked my e-mail, and booked a bounceback, I was ready to head off to MGM studios to meet up with M. M and I went to high school together (she was 1 year behind me,) and she now lives in Orlando and goes to law school there-she texted me on 12/8 to say she was off to see SSE.

So I went in the gates and started soaking up the streetmosphere. I saw M sitiing on a bench near Oscar's, so I waited for her. We decided to go to RnR. As we were heading over, and discussing the merits of the single rider line. M then turned to met and said "The last time I was here last month with my mom, she didn't want me to go one this ride because she thought I'd rebreak my jaw." (M was recovering from a broken jaw, still wired and having surgery in Wednesday) Now, I'm not afraid of ignoring warning signs on rides* (heck, my late father was essentially a warning drinking game, and he was my ride partner on everything but RnR), but I was a little scared. We made our way through the queue and got in line. We told the person we were a group of 2, but there was some confusion. Anyway, we ended up in the front of the limo. We sat back, had out heads against the back of the seat, and waited. I feel sorry for the people in ride photos I'm on, in nearly all of them I'm squinting to avoid a migraine. We rode-I always forget how much I love RnR until I ride it. We then headed to the animation tour. I thought the little show was cute (it'd be good to get out of the heat), and I liked that you could meet characters.

We then headed for the GMR. I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but there was this family behind us who was singing, loudly, the entire time. Kids will be kids, but I think adult should behave in public. I found it a little annoying and unnecessary. I think the GMR could really use a revamp with the new Disney Hollywood Studios-maybe add in a Pirates scene (even add an Erol Flynn scene to counterpoint it) or another recent live action movie scene. Also, I was kind of bothered by some of the clips after it, namely the famous GWTW stairs scene.

M and I headed towards the Osborne lights. On the way, we passed what M deemed "that eggnog cart that's been all over the internet as the downfall of civilization" We did not imbibe. We headed towards the lights. They were excellent. M, however, pointed out that all the Osborne lights used to be in someone’s yard, which must have stunk for the neighbors.

Hidden kitty

Very brief video.

After that, we went on Star Tours. RnR made me fine, but Star Tours made me dizzy. We then headed back. A bus showed up. It looked not full, but I was about the eighth person in line. Someone behind me asked, and the people in front of us said there was room, but they didn’t want to stand. Should you move over or something? I figured I’d rather stand on a bus than in line, so I hopped on. Someone gave up their seat for me, which was very nice, but being that I’m from Boston, made me momentarily wonder if I smelled or something. I went back to POFQ and had dinner there, which was a pizza and beignets. I don’t think Disney pizza is as bad as everyone says (and unlike my pizza at POR last year, it was sliced well); however, my mom pointed out later in the week that they used to have slices, which would seem to me to be easier and more economical.

I then spent sometimes on the web-I know, you all are shocked. I also uploaded pictures and video, and began to wonder how I had any spare money while using film.

Next time: Is half-price Tonga toast as good?
*Just my opinion, in light of the recent EE tragedy please use good judgment. Thank you.
Chapter 7: Tonga Toast awaits!

Last edited by Hedy; 12-31-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #190
Hedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
It's too early to start a pre-TR for my August trip, so I'll follow in the steps of many great trip reporters and start mini-trip reporting on here. Fear not, another update is coming.
However, a few things have occurred regarding my August trip (tripette?).
1. I have received permission to loook after the boys for a night while the brothers and SILs go out. So far, thoughts include such role modelish activities are getting a kitchen sink.
2. I learned I have one more vacation day than I thought. This means the carried over day is actually two (unless I get unwaitlisted and get Monday off). Therefore, I could go Thursday-Sunday, instead of Friday-Sunday. However, I'd lose my bounceback discount, so we shall see.
3. Jet Blue flights came out. I could book now (but I'm not going to, as I'm waiting for the 7 month window to see if the rest of my party is going to be at BCV or change their dates).
I got Monday off (four day weekend! score!) so I'm sticking with my plans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbomb View Post
I'm glad to hear you booked a bounceback. Sounds like a great one, too! Especially with your plan to get a kitchen sink with your nephews. Me and DH gotta make more friends so we can order one of those one day...
Yepp, I'm thinking it's a good plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Disney Fan View Post
I've never eaten at Tusker House so it was awesome to see a detailed report on it. I think they recently "changed" it didn't they? I think it used to be counter service... :
Yepp, used to be a counter service. Changed it, and moved the character breakfast there.

I hear you about Boma.

I like your kitty.

Thank you. For no apparent reason she started staring up with chimney in early December...maybe she's watched too many Holiday specials.

I used FF Miles to book United at exactly the 11 month window for Oct 08 trip. We're all nuts!

I was telling my mom I was waiting until I saw if they got BCV, and she paused..."when will that be?" I forget she has a life.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:17 PM   #192
Hedy

Day 4: Hotels/Epcot

Today’s morning spreadsheet was pretty open. It was my father’s death day, so I decided to do what I felt like doing. I got up, turned on Stacey* and pondered. I’d considered today as my MGM rope drop day, but there was nothing at MGM I was in the mood for at the time. I perused my Passporter, hoping to find an idea for an off day. I opened to my Tuesday page, and found out I had been considering breakfast at Captain Cook’s. Sounded good enough to me-I popped on my Eeyore polo and headed off to catch a bus to the MK. This bus driver was the most animated I had all week, and hysterical. We all loaded on, and as we progressed to POR, the bus driver said that POR is as big as the MK. Someone next to me exclaimed something that would get him points if he posted it here. The bus driver then made the pre-programmed “Please watch your language” announcement. He then segued into mimicking various character voices, and lecturing on his days at the WDW laundry facilities. It was hysterical. He also advised you remember the first restroom you see, as it’ll be the last one you see before you leave, and as you’re waiting for your bus you don’t want to hear “I hafta go bafwoom.” LOL, and true. I disembarked at the MK, and crossed over to the monorail station. On my way, I noticed the opening of the MK was taking place. Contemporary. Someday I will have the monies to stay there.

I headed over to the monorail. When I got on, the person near me was asking about my pins (I made the foolish mistake of researching pins before I went, and I developed a voracious appetite for hidden Mickey pins.) I interpreted it (it’s one of the License plate ones). We pulled into the Contemporary, and I chatted with another woman-she noticed my Heather on my shirt (her name was Heather as well), and I pointed out my Heather Tinkerbell pin. There was this adorable little 18 month old in his parent’s arms wearing this adorable Donald Duck costume at the end of the monorail line. Entire monorail car “aww…” Woman in car “His parents should be shot! It’s got to be 90 degrees today!” I couldn’t help snickering. I fully presume Donald’s parents would be popping him into shorts later.

We finally pulled into the Poly, and I got off the monorail. I considered pausing to look at the Christmas stuff, but I decided to follow the signs to Captain Cook’s-after all, who knows who else was in on $5 Tonga Toast action? Before I left, I had read on AG Princess’ report that she had gotten Tonga Toast at Captain Cook’s. A lightbulb went on over my head. I rushed over to the restaurant board to verify this: one could have the notorious Tonga Toast, sans meat, at a counter service price? Why was this not more popular? Kona press post? Pfft…you people and your coffee. Heather does not do coffee unless it has been fully sissified for her. I was very excited about this meal. However, Captain Cook’s was kind of hard to find. I guess they figure that, unlike we pedestrians who stay at the other PO resorts, those who stay at the Poly don’t really need CS. I found Captain Cooks and got my bearings. I ordered a Tonga Toast, no meat. I got a little confused with the pay and get your buzzer deal, but I got in line. There was a little girl, 5ish, in front of me doing the OMG-I-at-WDW-OMG face stare.
Hedy “I like your Pooh’s bow.” (it had a elastic on it)
Girl “Thanks. I-put-it-there-myself-pooh-has-two-ears-but I only-had-one.”
Hedy “I like your Ariel pen. Is Ariel your favorite?”
Girl “Yes.Ariel.Is.my.favorite.I.am.going.to.meet.Ariel .today.and.she.will.sign.my.book.in.green.pen! I’m saving my pen for Ariel.” Her dad turned to me and said something along the lines of “She’s excited.” I just smiled.

I paid for my toast, got my buzzer, and got my toast. I sat down, had took pictures of my toast. And ate it. I prefer crispy French toast to slimey French toast, and this was crispy, and I liked the banana. Captain Cook’s is definitely a must-do.

After my meal, I strolled around Boutiki and the other shops. I wanted one of those red/green/jingle bell mickey scrunchies, but I didn’t see any. Actually. I originally wanted those hair things you get at the BBB, but they don’t sell them in red. What do they do for Ariels or Giselles? I took some pictures of gingerbread houses.
I paused to survey the Kona menu, and found out their Tonga Toast with meat was $10.99. I rest my case.

I boarded the monorail. I headed off the GF. I have no desire to stay at the GF, but I always go there at least once per trip. I looked at the gingerbread house and the tree.
I also found where 1900 Park Fare was, as we were having breakfast there on Saturday. I bought a shingle, but it wasn’t very good-might have been the dark chocolate. I went up to the gift shop. I’d poked around Basin, but didn’t see anything (I’d been pondering picking a little something up for too-old-for-Disney (I know, I know) Dniece13, but didn’t see anything. I love the GF’s gift shops-I always get something there. I found my scrunchie, just in time for MVMCP. I headed over to the monorail. I got in line. And waited. And waited. The woman in front of me turned to me and said something about how she thought the monorail people didn’t have to wait as long as bus people did. She was staying at ASSp. We laughed. My phone rang. It was Mom.
Mom: “Hi Dear, I have my rental car. It’s big. It’s a Chrysler 300.”
Heather: “Oh, that’s the new Concorde.” (Which we had in the late 90’s)
Mom: “It’s big.” We chatted about our plans for the day. The monorail came.

I took it to the TTC and changed for Epcot. I love how the Epcot monorail loops around Future World. I headed towards Test Track, once again the single rider line served me well. I noticed on this trip that I saw fewer people taking the single rider line and then clinging onto the ride partners, which made me happy. I got picked to hold a red tag again. While riding Test Track, I found myself pondering if it had an effect on my insistence that my new car I bought earlier this year have ABS. Hmm. Could it also be why I insisted on a non-US brand car? I traded with a Test track CM for a Luigi pin. I popped in Test Track’s gift shop-is it just me or did they used to have a lot more car stuff in this shop? I didn’t see anything for Sally the Versa (who has ABS ). Also, can we discuss the lake of diversity in the Cars merchandise? I stopped every time I had the chance looking for Sally stuff for Sally (natch) or myself, or Guido (his favorite car) stuff for YoungestBrother, but couldn’t find anything. They had the Sally small car, which I already have, and a Luigi/Guido small car set, which seems silly to get a grown man, plus I figured I could get that off-property. I didn’t even see any Sally pins on any lanyards.

I then headed off to World Showcase. Since I wanted to take pictures, I took my camera case out of my string backpack and tied it onto a belt loop. I was trying to switch off my LL Bean bag and my String backpack as I have problems with my back and I thought switching bags might help me the way switching shoes help my feet. I had found, however, that with my backpack on my back I felt awkward swinging it around to get my camera. As I passed the tree, I saw a couple in LSU t-shirts having their picture by the tree. The woman had dark hair and a hot pink bagallini. Since SR Janet’s picture of herself included a red bagallini, I thought the color might be off, plus she had dark hair is from Lousiana. I stared a little more, surmised it was not SR Janet, and headed to Mexico. Somewhere in LA, there’s a couple talking about how this weird redhead in a Red Sox hat kept on staring at them. I rode the Tres Caballeros ride. I liked it more than I liked the old ride (although part of it was me being all “Oh, Xochimilco! A Donald boat!” which might have effected my opinion.) I got out, and reached for my camera. It had fallen out, but I got it back. I had wanted to stop and chat with those making the alebrijes, as I lived in Oaxaca, but I chickened out. As I strolled along, I ran into Snow White in Germany-she was an excellent Snow White. Belle’s my favorite princess (Ariel was until BATB came out), but Snow White was my first movie in the theatres, so I have a soft spot for her.
I enjoy how HSM is the US’ big cultural contribution…and Beckham, apparently. The Statue of Liberty Minnies they had the last time I was here were more après pos. I headed towards Morroco, and stopped there for lunch.

Up next: The two longest lines I stood in all week…and they aren’t where you’d think, and MVMCP.

*Sidenote-am I alone in loving Stacey-I mean, you can watch CNN anywhere, but where else can you get Stacey yapping her head off?

Last edited by Hedy; 01-08-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #193
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

I love Stacey. I play her non stop.....You're not at WDW unless you've got WDW TV on 24/7. I do occasionally try and catch the Weather Channel...
Old 12-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #194
Hedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
I love Stacey. I play her non stop.....You're not at WDW unless you've got WDW TV on 24/7. I do occasionally try and catch the Weather Channel...
Same here!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #195
girlbomb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
There was a little girl, 5ish, in front of me doing the OMG-I-at-WDW-OMG face stare.
Hedy “I like your Pooh’s bow.” (it had a elastic on it)
Girl “Thanks. I-put-it-there-myself-pooh-has-two-ears-but I only-had-one.”
Hedy “I like your Ariel pen. Is Ariel your favorite?”
Girl “Yes.Ariel.Is.my.favorite.I.am.going.to.meet.Ariel .today.and.she.will.sign.my.book.in.green.pen! I’m saving my pen for Ariel.” Her dad turned to me and said something along the lines of “She’s excited.” I just smiled.
The "OMG-I'm-at-WDW-OMG" face is brilliant. I love seeing that face!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: