Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #526
lynninpa

Help yourself! I just made a few new batches!

Brown Derby: Thai Noodle Bowl

Brown Derby: Thai Noodle Bowl

3 oz baby bok choy
½ oz shiitake mushroom
4 oz yellow Thai noodles
6 oz miso broth (see below)
1 oz shredded coconut meat
4 oz tofu, firm
1 oz lemon grass
1 & ½ oz red curry
1 & ¼ oz snow pea pod, fresh
½ oz scallion

Bread the tofu with coconut and pan fry. In a separate pan, add the bok choy, shiitake, carrots and deglaze with the miso broth. Finish with the noodles and summer curry, now place the nori* in a coupe bowl add the noodles and broth mixture, top with the tofu, garnish with lemon grass.

*Nori is not listed in the ingredients for some reason. Nori a sheet of seaweed, used in sushi as a wrap. Recipe is not dependent on nori for flavor.

Flavored Miso Broth:
2 qts water
2 oz miso
¼ each jalapeno-rough chopped and seeded
1 fluid oz soy sauce
1 fluid oz rice wine vinegar Marukan
½ oz ginger root, unpeeled rough chop
¼ oz lemon grass, rough chopped
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 oz garlic-smashed
6 fl oz tomato juice (fresh)

Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a slow simmer for one hour. Strain and serve.

Last edited by lynninpa; 12-03-2007 at 09:30 PM.
lynninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #527
lynninpa

Just wondering if anyone has made the NY Strip Steaks with Jack Daniels Glaze from Yachtsman Steakhouse? It is on my list of Disney recipes to try-sounds delish!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2007, 01:00 AM   #528
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynninpa View Post
Just wondering if anyone has made the NY Strip Steaks with Jack Daniels Glaze from Yachtsman Steakhouse? It is on my list of Disney recipes to try-sounds delish!
I made them last summer and here were the comments I wrote at the time:

The glaze is on the sweet side and I added chives for balance. Marinade and glaze are very good if you like a sweeter taste.
Tatania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:09 AM   #529
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Dulce De Leche

Made this tonight and it's fast and very good.

Dulce De Leche, Caramelized Milk Pudding
Epcot Food and Wine Festival, Argentina
Seves 6

4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I sifted it)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup Dulce de Leche Cream
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds, for garnish

Preheat oven to 300°F and generously butter 8- inch cake pan. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale in color. Fold the flour into the egg mixture in 3 batches, adding the melted butter with the last batch. Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Set the cake aside to cool on a wire rack.
In a small saucepan, combine Dulce de Leche Cream, coconut milk, and whole milk and bring to a boil. Set aside to cool slightly.
Cut the sponge cake into 1" inch cubes and divide them among 6 ramekins. Pour the warm Dulce de Leche Cream over the sponge cubes in each ramekin. Garnish each serving with a teaspoon of toasted almonds on top. Refrigerate for two hours and serve chilled.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 PM   #530
Lu Ann
Afternoon Tea Hostess

LTT Griddled Pumpkin Bread

I received this recipe from WDW today. It's the Griddled Pumpkin Bread that is no longer being served at the Liberty Tree Tavern. It was served with the Cider-cured Salmon, which is no longer on the menu.

Pumpkin Bread
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp Kosher salt
2 tsps baking soda
3 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 TBS water
1 cup canola oil
4 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin

Blend dry ingredients together. Blend all wet ingredients together. Slowly add wet to dry ingredients. Portion into 4 oz "biscuits." Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. If toothpick comes out dry, "Bread" is done.

Husband's first trip to WDW was to the Preview Center, prior to the park opening in 1971
We are both 5th-Generation Native Floridians!

Engaged at WDW 1984
Honeymooned at WDW 1985

Last WDW Trip: September 30, 2012
Next WDW Trip: December 9-14, 2012
Lu Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 AM   #531
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Ripe Plantain Casserole with Avocado

Thanks for the new recipe Lu -Ann. It's always exciting to read and collect a new one because I have most of the ones in the cookbooks or circulating online.

Quote:
Ripe Plantain Casserole with Avocado
Epcot Food and Wine Festival, Dominican Republic
Serves 4
I made the above casserole tonight (p. 28) even though, after a week of trying to force-ripen them, 5 out of 6 plantains were still green and hard. However,the other ingredients - also purchased a week ago- were going, so I went ahead.
With soft, ripe plantains this is potentially a very good recipe. It's like layering mashed potatoes with fried vegetables and cheese. With the mashed vegetable making up a good part of the dish (my plantains were large), it's important that their texture be right. Since mine were still so green, the "mash" was drier and crumblier than it should have been. I could probably have added a lot more butter to make it creamier, but I didn't want the extra calories.
I mashed the avocado garnish so it was like the dish that reader Lu-Ann had in Epcot. All in all, a good recipe and my son had a huge helping. I'll make it again if I can find some very soft and ripe plantains.

I booked the restaurants I wanted today for WDW, and I guess there's something to be said for traveling solo and in low season because I easily got everything I wanted. I've booked Boma, Whispering Canyon, California Grill, and Le Cellier. For the rest, I plan to just drop by (if I'm hungry), and take my chances.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:29 AM   #532
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Chocolate Lava Cake

Chocolate Lava Cake
California Grill, Disney's Contemporary Resort
Serves 6

8 1-ounce squares semisweet chocolate, chopped, or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (the restaurant uses Valrhona)
1 cup (2 sticks) of butter
5 egg yolks
4 whole eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly buttered sides of 6 individual (3/4 cup) ramekins. Lightly coat was sugar, then shake out excess.
Melt chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler set over simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from over water and cool 10 minutes.
Beat egg yolks and the whole eggs together in a large bowl. Add sugar and beat about 2 minutes, until thick and light. Fold in chocolate mixture. Sift flour, then fold into batter, mixing until smooth. Divide batter among prepared cups, filling 3/4 full. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 35 to 40 minutes, or until sides of cakes are set and middle is still soft. Do not overbake.
Using a small knife, cut around sides of cake to loosen. Invert onto plates and serve with your favorite ice cream. The restaurant uses different ice creams like Strawberry, house-made White Coffee Ice Cream, Cappuccino Anglaise, White Chocolate etc.
Cooks Note: you can also use muffin tin; recipe makes 12. Bake for 15 minutes, or until set and middle is still soft.

Last edited by Tatania; 12-23-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #533
lynninpa

Thank you for posting more great recipes, Tatania!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #534
lynninpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu Ann View Post
LTT: Griddled Pumpkin Bread
I am so happy that you received this recipe, Lu Ann-I know how much you wanted it! And, of course, thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Last edited by lynninpa; 12-05-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #535
lynninpa

F&W Festival: Italy: Tortellini di Formaggio

F&W Festival: Italy: Tortellini di Formaggio

(serves 4)

10 oz spinach tortellini
10 oz cheese tortellini
10 oz Bechamelle Sauce: 2 cups milk, 3oz butter, 3oz flour, 1 pinch nutmeg
3 oz. button mushrooms
3 oz parmigiano cheese
4 oz prosciutto ham
5 leaves fresh sage

Clean and slice mushrooms in thin slices and sauté in a small amount of olive oil. Slice the prosciutto in small 3/4 inch strips (julienne). Grate your parmigano cheese into a bowl. Make your bechameele sauce: Bring milk to a boil with a pinch of nutmeg. In a separate skillet melt the butter and stir the flour in obtaining a roux. Whisk in milk, stirring constantly. Cook on low heat 20-25 minutes. Boil the tortellini in salted water. Drain and combine with prosciutto, mushrooms, and bechamelle together with the sage and parmigiano in a skillet on low flame.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #536
lynninpa

I hope everyone is enjoying The Disney Recipe Exchange!
If you have tried a recipe, please do come back and let us know how it turned out!
Or if you have any questions or other comments, let's chat!

Last edited by lynninpa; 12-06-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #537
PNWmom
Mouseketeer

Barley-Lentil Salad question

I want to try this recipe but there seems to be a time missing or maybe I'm not reading it right...

"Add the barley and lentils and cook for an additional ____ minutes, or until the greens are well coated in oil."

Also are "the greens" mentioned the lentils or the scallions?

Thanks,

Join the fun at MouseScrappers.com.
PNWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #538
lynninpa

F&W Festival: Mexico: Chilaquiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Rd. Lady View Post
Still waiting for the Food and Wine festival recipe or can you tell me where to buy the cookbook?
Could this be the chicken recipe that you are looking for, Camp Rd. Lady? Let me know!

F&W Festival: Mexico: Chilaquiles

1 pound skinned boneless chicken breasts
½ cup thinly sliced onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
Sat to taste
1 ½ cups water
10 ounces corn chips
1 ½ pounds Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Put the water, salt, garlic, onion and chicken breasts in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer until chicken breasts are tender. Remove from broth and shred the chicken breasts when they are cool enough to handle. Set aside. Divide the corn chips among 8 individual ramekins and spoon one tablespoon of Green sauce in each ramekin. Divide the chicken among the ramekins, and top with the cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with a spoonful of sour cream, drizzle with green sauce, sour cream and sprinkle with green onions.

Green Sauce
2 pounds tomatillos, outer skin removed
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded
1 cup water
3 T. olive oil
1/3 cup onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste

In a medium sized pan cook the tomatillos, peppers and water until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until the tomatillos are tender-cool. When cool, place in blender and puree. In a sauté pan, heat the oil and add the onions, garlic and tomatillo puree-sauté for 10 minutes and add cilantro and salt.

Garnish
8 ounces sour cream
Green onion finely sliced

Last edited by lynninpa; 12-06-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:57 AM   #539
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWmom View Post
I want to try this recipe but there seems to be a time missing or maybe I'm not reading it right...

"Add the barley and lentils and cook for an additional ____ minutes, or until the greens are well coated in oil."

Also are "the greens" mentioned the lentils or the scallions?

Thanks,
"Heat half the oil in a 3 - 4 quart heavy pot over moderate heat and add the scallion, squash and cayenne, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the barley and lentils and cook for an additional minute, or until the grains are well coated in oil.
Stir in the stock and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all the liquid is absorbed and the grains are tender, about 30 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining oil, vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper."

Ack, above is the corrected sentence. I didn't catch the error after I typed it from the cookbook because the Spellcheck wasn't indicating that the words were a mistake.

This is such a tastely salad or side dish and I'm going to go back and make sure there's no other mistakes in the recipe.

So sorry about that

Last edited by Tatania; 12-07-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #540
Tatania
Disney Foodie

Chicken Drums Glazed with Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Chicken Drums Glazed with Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Epcot Food and Wine Festival, Hops & Barley Market
Serves 6

3 pounds chicken drums

FOR THE GLAZE
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 bottle Samuel Adams Boston Lager
1 cup chili-garlic sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

FOR THE BLUE CHEESE DRESSING
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and cook the shallot and garlic until soft. Add the beer and the remaining glaze ingredients and bring liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by half. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
Arrange the chicken drums in a baking dish, large enough to hold the drums in one layer. Pour the cooled beer glaze over the chicken and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, basting occasionally.
In the meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the blue cheese dressing in a small bowl. Taste for seasoning and divide the sauce among six small ramekins.
To serve, divide the drums among six plates, drizzle with a little of the glaze and place a ramekin of blue cheese dressing on the side for dipping the chicken.

This is the last of 3 recipes for the Hops & Barley Market section of the 2007cookbook.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: