DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
jhornbeck
Earning My Ears

Buying same month use or not

I own SSR with use month of Feb, do I buy my add on for the same month or not?? Do I buy SSR or buy different resort?? Advantages and disadvantages please. TIA
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
antshelby
Earning My Ears

It is easier to keep track of if you buy the sad use year. Also it will go under your same member number. I would buy at the resort you love to stay at.
antshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhornbeck View Post
I own SSR with use month of Feb, do I buy my add on for the same month or not?? Do I buy SSR or buy different resort?? Advantages and disadvantages please. TIA
I know many people have multiple Use Years and have no problem managing them. I feel like why make it harder when you don't have to?

If you add on at your home resort of SSR you should have the same UY to make using your points seamless.

Advantages to buying at a different resort will give you the 11 month booking window at someplace you really want to stay and have not much chance at 7 months. Same UY means that at 7 months you won't have to transfer points from one contract to another to book a stay anywhere.

Disadvantages are that you will have to transfer points from one contract to another to combine points to book a stay. Different UYs mean different banking deadlines. Again, this may not be an issue for some but can get confusing for others.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
drusba

DIS Veteran

if you purchase through Disney, it will sell you only your current use year unless you purchase the minimal points required to be purchased a new rather than existing DVC member.

Getting a different use year is the same as being a different member. You get separate annual statements, your dues are billed separately, if you do automatic monthly withdrawal from your bank account for dues, they will be taken in separate transactions, you will have separate banking dates, and the points from one use year cannot be mixed with the points from another use year to reserve any one single night. To combine the points for a single trip, you either have to transfer points from one use year to the other, or instead book some nights with one use year and the remaining nights with the other and then have MS link the reservations so you do not have to change rooms. in that situation, you would still have two separate reservations when it comes to when you can first make restaurant reservations or do FP+.

We have two use years and do not consider it difficult, confusing, or a disadvantage. The advantage is that we can avoid having trips in the last four months of one of the use years, when you risk not being able to bank points if you have to cancel, by booking using the other use year.

As to two resorts, that is mainly the 11 month booking issue. Do you want another resort and room classification that requires booking 11 months out, e.g., boardwalk standard view? We have two but followed a rule that we would not purchase a second resort until we had enough points for one resort to get a 2BR for a week during magic season at 11 months out in any given year since that was usually our minimal stay and room category that we wanted once a year.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusba View Post
We have two but followed a rule that we would not purchase a second resort until we had enough points for one resort to get a 2BR for a week during magic season at 11 months out in any given year since that was usually our minimal stay and room category that we wanted once a year.
I find this very smart. I have decided if we ever do add more points it will be to our existing BCV contract since we only have 160, not even enough to stay in a 1 bedroom for a week in Sept.

Honestly, I do understand that people will buy small contracts to get into a desirable resort for a couple of days every year but it really gets tedious moving after those couple of days and interrupts my vacation. Banking and borrowing to stay longer every couple of years? Forget about it. I don't have enough restraint to do that because I will use those points for another resort to go NOW.

As always, that's just me and YMMV.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: