Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Drinehart811
Got my E-ticket to paradise
 
Drinehart811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 185

Hoping for a little guidance

Hi all. A little background on me. I am 32 and have had rheumatoid arthritis since I was 8. This sept will be my 5th trip to wdw and I haven't really felt like I needed any special assistance before. That being said, my knees have been seriously acting up and I'm getting concerned. Walking isn't generally a problem, I take lots of breaks and I schedule sit down meals twice a day. What my real concern is are those times that require just stagnant standing, not necessarily ride lines-those tend to move steadily, and I try to avoid lines over 10-15 min- but waiting for shows (FotLK, Famtasmic!, LMA), and especially those resort buses. Last time I had to stand on the bus a number of times back to the resort and it was extremely difficult for me, since I have arthritis in my hands I have a difficult time holding on to those overhead poles, let alone the pressure on my knees.

I don't want to "take advantage" or anything, I just have never really had to ask disney for "help" before and I'm a little nervous as to whether or not these problems would be sufficient (I guess this is the word I'm looking for) to get assistance. I just know I've seen a lot of stuff about people taking advantage and I don't want to seem like that's me. I think I'm just concerned because I was given a hard time for taking the front row seat "generally reserved for disabilities" on the bus back from our county fair, but my knees had basically given out on me and going to the back of the school bus would have been really difficult for me!

Like I said my honest biggest concern is having to stand constantly 20 minutes or more for those resort buses, and then have to stand on the bus. Also right now I have reservation for the EPCOT Sparkling dessert party, I don't know if they have any accommodations so I wouldn't have to stand the whole time, if not I'll probably have to cancel it. Any advice on what to do or where to start would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much
Drinehart811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
bidnow5
DIS Veteran
 
bidnow5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 626

I don't think you would qualify for a DAS the standard answer from Disney for stamina and mobility issues is rent a wheelchair or ECV. I would suggest renting an ECV off site it's about half the price of Disney and you get to have it at the resort
Glen
__________________
Glen
34 trips to WDW in 26 years

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Drinehart811
Got my E-ticket to paradise
 
Drinehart811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidnow5 View Post
I don't think you would qualify for a DAS the standard answer from Disney for stamina and mobility issues is rent a wheelchair or ECV. I would suggest renting an ECV off site it's about half the price of Disney and you get to have it at the resort Glen
Yeah, I really don't want to do that. I am extremely mobile, I just can't do a ton of stagnant standing, I don't consider that either stamina or mobility. For me, an ECV or wheelchair would be a bigger hinderance than a help. I guess it sounds like I will just be SOL by the disney standard :\
Drinehart811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Gracie09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,104

Even if you qualify for a das they only work on park lines not bus lines. So you still could have to stand for the bus and then stand on the bus although you can stand aside and take the next bus of it's standing room only. An ecv or wheelchair (outside the park rental) will give you a guaranteed seat on the bus if nothing else
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Drinehart811
Got my E-ticket to paradise
 
Drinehart811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie09 View Post
Even if you qualify for a das they only work on park lines not bus lines. So you still could have to stand for the bus and then stand on the bus although you can stand aside and take the next bus of it's standing room only. An ecv or wheelchair (outside the park rental) will give you a guaranteed seat on the bus if nothing else
Yeah, I think maybe I'll just be out of luck. It seems silly to have to rent a wheelchair or something just because I can't stand on a bus (or in general a long time In a single space without being able to sit or move much), and having to wait another 20 minutes for another bus defeats the purpose of not standing on the first one.

I think I'm just feeling upset because I know one day I will need an ECV, but that is not yet, and I don't want to be forced into one years before I need to be just because I need a little help. I'm not trying to skip lines, I just don't want to blow out my knees on day 4 of a 9 day trip standing on a bus and falling or slipping because I can't physically grip the handle well enough. Or not be able to see the fireworks because I can't stand for 30 minutes to see the whole projection show and fireworks.

I guess all I can do is talk to GR at my resort, see what they have to say, and not really expect much of anything. I'm trying to not get emotional but it's difficult because it seems like disney is used to people trying to steal the whole cake and I'm just asking for a bite so to speak. I would just bring a camping stool to rest for those long unmoving waits but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed either.
Drinehart811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Gracie09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinehart811 View Post
Yeah, I think maybe I'll just be out of luck. It seems silly to have to rent a wheelchair or something just because I can't stand on a bus (or in general a long time In a single space without being able to sit or move much), and having to wait another 20 minutes for another bus defeats the purpose of not standing on the first one. I think I'm just feeling upset because I know one day I will need an ECV, but that is not yet, and I don't want to be forced into one years before I need to be just because I need a little help. I'm not trying to skip lines, I just don't want to blow out my knees on day 4 of a 9 day trip standing on a bus and falling or slipping because I can't physically grip the handle well enough. Or not be able to see the fireworks because I can't stand for 30 minutes to see the whole projection show and fireworks. I guess all I can do is talk to GR at my resort, see what they have to say, and not really expect much of anything. I'm trying to not get emotional but it's difficult because it seems like disney is used to people trying to steal the whole cake and I'm just asking for a bite so to speak. I would just bring a camping stool to rest for those long unmoving waits but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed either.
Camping stools are not allowed because they are a tripping hazard besides the lines tend to move a slow but steady pace so you wouldn't have time to set it up, sit down and then have to stand and move.
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Piper
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinehart811 View Post
Yeah, I think maybe I'll just be out of luck. It seems silly to have to rent a wheelchair or something just because I can't stand on a bus (or in general a long time In a single space without being able to sit or move much), and having to wait another 20 minutes for another bus defeats the purpose of not standing on the first one.

I think I'm just feeling upset because I know one day I will need an ECV, but that is not yet, and I don't want to be forced into one years before I need to be just because I need a little help. I'm not trying to skip lines, I just don't want to blow out my knees on day 4 of a 9 day trip standing on a bus and falling or slipping because I can't physically grip the handle well enough. Or not be able to see the fireworks because I can't stand for 30 minutes to see the whole projection show and fireworks.

I guess all I can do is talk to GR at my resort, see what they have to say, and not really expect much of anything. I'm trying to not get emotional but it's difficult because it seems like disney is used to people trying to steal the whole cake and I'm just asking for a bite so to speak. I would just bring a camping stool to rest for those long unmoving waits but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed either.
I understand where you're coming from. I had to use an ECV at WDW for several years before my doctor prescribed one for me at home. Of course, during those years, I could not go to shopping malls, museums, etc. because it was just too much. I will also admit that I said no to the ECV when my doctor first mentioned it. After I "gave in," I wished I had done it much sooner!

I don't use it in my home, I use a crutch or walker. I want to walk as long as I can. I also use a stool in my kitchen because standing even long enough to cook an egg causes a lot of pain. But the ECV allows me to do so many more things that I wouldn't have been able to do!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Coonhound
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 553

I'd rent a wheelchair because it will allow you to sit down whenever you need to, but the rest of the time you'll be able to walk and you can just throw your purse and souvenirs in the chair and won't have to carry those.
It can seem hard to accept a wheelchair but remember disney isn't everyday life: there are tons of people who'd NEVER use a wheelchair in everyday life but really need one at Disney. After all, Disney is all about standing in one place waiting, walking etc. It can be a lot harder than everyday life.
I would not expect a DAS because Disneys answer to mobility issues is to rent a wheelchair or scooter. Even if you don't want one or say you don't really need one, that will be their answer. They don't let you choose if you want one or not, they just say that's what you'll need to do. If you want a DAS, you would need to explain why your need is related to the actual waiting in line, not mobility- for example, anxiety/claustrophobia/etc
Coonhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
charmed59
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 44

If you don't have trouble walking, and your biggest issue is the resort bus lines, perhaps you can rent a car. It might even be cheaper than renting the ECV.
charmed59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,891

I would seriously look at renting a ECV from off site.

I know you can walk fairly well, but honestly this will give you the option to sit while waiting and if you need to walk, another member of your party can always drive the ECV.

Just keep in mind that there is a lot more walking involved than you might think in the parks and possibly a lot more standing, even when not in line.

This would also solve the problem of not having a seat for the dessert party.

That being said, it is possible to work with the CMs to avoid most of the standing in lines by simply having the rest of your party go through the regular line and meeting up with them at the end, just let the CM know this when entering the line.

As for the busses, there are several ways to handle this. The best way is to avoid leaving at busy times, such as park closing, parade ending, fantasmic ending, etc. Good times to leave are usually during the middle of these. For an example, if there are two showings of Fantasmic, go to the first one and then leave the parks about 10 to 15 minutes after the second show starts.

There are also benches nearby most of the bus stops, you can wait on one of them while the rest of your party goes through the line. If it's standing room only, have the rest of your party let people behind them go on, then you can get on the next bus with them and have a seat.

Additionally, you can inform the bus driver that you have arthritis and that it would not be safe for you to stand. He then should ask those sitting in the seats designated for the disabled to move as necessary to allow you to sit. On our recent trip to New York, I found out that all bus drivers are actually required to do so by federal law, although some will still try to refuse to do so. And you do not have to be in a wheelchair or have a cane for them to be required to do this.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
Gracie09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I would seriously look at renting a ECV from off site. I know you can walk fairly well, but honestly this will give you the option to sit while waiting and if you need to walk, another member of your party can always drive the ECV. Just keep in mind that there is a lot more walking involved than you might think in the parks and possibly a lot more standing, even when not in line. This would also solve the problem of not having a seat for the dessert party. That being said, it is possible to work with the CMs to avoid most of the standing in lines by simply having the rest of your party go through the regular line and meeting up with them at the end, just let the CM know this when entering the line. As for the busses, there are several ways to handle this. The best way is to avoid leaving at busy times, such as park closing, parade ending, fantasmic ending, etc. Good times to leave are usually during the middle of these. For an example, if there are two showings of Fantasmic, go to the first one and then leave the parks about 10 to 15 minutes after the second show starts. There are also benches nearby most of the bus stops, you can wait on one of them while the rest of your party goes through the line. If it's standing room only, have the rest of your party let people behind them go on, then you can get on the next bus with them and have a seat. Additionally, you can inform the bus driver that you have arthritis and that it would not be safe for you to stand. He then should ask those sitting in the seats designated for the disabled to move as necessary to allow you to sit. On our recent trip to New York, I found out that all bus drivers are actually required to do so by federal law, although some will still try to refuse to do so. And you do not have to be in a wheelchair or have a cane for them to be required to do this.
You can't meet your party at the end of the line. The lines are not set up in a way that allows for this. You would have to push your way through the line to meet up with them. Even going through the exit wouldn't work because the exit is not necessarily near where the ride loads

And a bus driver can ask people to move but can't make them.
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie09 View Post
You can't meet your party at the end of the line. The lines are not set up in a way that allows for this. You would have to push your way through the line to meet up with them. Even going through the exit wouldn't work because the exit is not necessarily near where the ride loads
That was exactly what I have heard GR advise that someone with the same situation as the OP do on several occasions. Pretty much word for word what I said by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie09 View Post
And a bus driver can ask people to move but can't make them.
Actually, he can make them move by kicking them off the bus for not complying with his instructions. Which is technically what he is required to do under federal law. This law is unfortunately not enforced, as there is no agency that enforces it. The only way would for it to be enforced would be if someone who was affected by the driver not doing this decided to sue over it. It's obviously simpler to just wait for the next bus, so this will most likely never happen. But the law is indeed on the books.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #13
Gracie09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
That was exactly what I have heard GR advise that someone with the same situation as the OP do on several occasions. Pretty much word for word what I said by the way. Actually, he can make them move by kicking them off the bus for not complying with his instructions. Which is technically what he is required to do under federal law. This law is unfortunately not enforced, as there is no agency that enforces it. The only way would for it to be enforced would be if someone who was affected by the driver not doing this decided to sue over it. It's obviously simpler to just wait for the next bus, so this will most likely never happen. But the law is indeed on the books.
How does he know the people sitting there aren't disabled as well? They can ask but not force. Just because someone doesn't look disabled doesn't mean they aren't.
And as others have said meeting someone at the end of a line is simply not practical nor possible in many rides. Regardless of what you overheard. If you ask the attraction cm they will tell you it's not possible.
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,802

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
That was exactly what I have heard GR advise that someone with the same situation as the OP do on several occasions. Pretty much word for word what I said by the way. Actually, he can make them move by kicking them off the bus for not complying with his instructions. Which is technically what he is required to do under federal law. This law is unfortunately not enforced, as there is no agency that enforces it. The only way would for it to be enforced would be if someone who was affected by the driver not doing this decided to sue over it. It's obviously simpler to just wait for the next bus, so this will most likely never happen. But the law is indeed on the books.
I'm sorry, but what law requires a bus driver to kick someone off of the bus to provide a seat for someone who can't stand? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life and completely inaccurate. No ones rights trump another persons. Busses are required to have handicap accommodations, but that doesn't include forcing people to move from regular seats.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #15
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Actually, he can make them move by kicking them off the bus for not complying with his instructions. Which is technically what he is required to do under federal law. This law is unfortunately not enforced, as there is no agency that enforces it. The only way would for it to be enforced would be if someone who was affected by the driver not doing this decided to sue over it. It's obviously simpler to just wait for the next bus, so this will most likely never happen. But the law is indeed on the books.
No, the bus driver is not required to kick anyone off the bus under federal law. He is required to ask them to move, and that's it.

Now, of course the non-disabled should move for the disabled, however, given the number of hidden disabilities, the bus driver really has no idea whether or not the already seated person also has a disability.

Quote:
Category:
Civil Rights & Accessibility
Question:
If a nondisabled person is sitting in one of the “priority” seats in the front of a bus, does that person have to move so that a person with a disability can sit there?
Answer:
Under Department of Transportation (DOT) Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations at 49 C.F.R. Section 37.167(j) bus operators are required to ask the person without a disability to move to another seat. If, after the operator asks, the person refuses to move, the regulations do not require the operator to compel this person to move. However, a transit operator can decide to adopt a policy requiring people to vacate the seats.
http://ftawebprod.fta.dot.gov/Contac...x?CategoryID=4
OurBigTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: