Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
mockmom3
Mouseketeer

diabetes and using scooter

My husband has diabetes and nerve pain in his legs that makes it difficult to walk or stand for long periods. We are going to rent a scooter to use. Can we use it while in the waiting lines and would we need a DAS card to do so? We don't mind waiting as long as he can sit while doing so.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockmom3 View Post
My husband has diabetes and nerve pain in his legs that makes it difficult to walk or stand for long periods. We are going to rent a scooter to use. Can we use it while in the waiting lines and would we need a DAS card to do so? We don't mind waiting as long as he can sit while doing so.
No. You don't need a DAS card to use an ECV or wheelchair in one.

The CM at the entrance to the attraction can see the ECV and route you where you need to go.

If he has other additional disability related needs that involve waiting in a line that are not met by having the ECV, then he would also need a DAS.
Some attractions have lines that are wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. For those, he should talk to the CM greeting at the entrance to the line before parking his ECV

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
mockmom3
Mouseketeer

ok thank you
Old 06-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
The Hunchback
Earning My Ears

Attractions that are not ECV Friendly

As was pointed out, some attractions have you transfer to a regular wheelchair for the wait in line. Those are okay. One that does not have you transfer, and should, is the Haunted Mansion. They have you bring your EVC into the stretch rooms and then hustle it out the attraction exit to park. You have to walk back in. The going from light to dark to light to dark, really gives my eyes trouble. I am half way through the attraction before I can see right and am unstressed over driving in the dark.
My suggestion for this one is to have the ECV rider sit near the entrance to the attraction and the other person go park the ECV by the attraction exit. Then get in line together, hope it is not too long, and enter standing. Pick up the ECV on the way out.
You will enjoy it more.
The Hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: