Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report *updated 8/24*

Pre Trip Report: Part 1 - Introductions

Hello everyone - welcome to my first Pre-Trip Report!

I just finished up my first ever trip report and figured with idle hands being the devil's workshop it was my moral obligation to do something with them ... and thus this Pre-Trip Report was born

Brief introduction, here are a couple of picture of the family from our last trip which was this past October:

Those pictures represent the last trip the four of us will take by ourselves ... because we are currently expecting child number 3!

This upcoming trip came about because of my deft logic I used with my wife, Judi. Here is how I laid out the arguments in my head (sorry to those who have read this story before):

A) We always try to get the new child down to Florida to meet Judi's family, especially her grandmother who doesn't travel to cold weather locals anymore

B) Given (A) it would be weird to go to Florida and not go to Disney World

C) So if we assume (A) and (B) then it definitely makes sense to go while my Annual Pass and TiW are still valid ... so before mid October

D) Well, taking (C) into account and combine with the fact the past few years they have had good room only discounts for mid August through the end of September, and knowing that Olivia starts Kindergarten after Labor Day, the end of August through Labor Day Weekend makes the most sense

E) I actually am taking off a lot of time when the new baby is born as last year I hit 10 years with my company and when that happens I get an extra one time use 4 weeks of vacation to use (I actually realized I have 48 days of vacation to use this year including carryovers from last year). The last week of August would be the last week I was thinking of taking off

So A + B + C + D + E = we would be foolish and irresponsible NOT to go

And here is how the conversation with Judi actually went:

Me: So I was wondering if you were planning on bringing the new baby down to Florida to meet your grandmother

Judi: Yeah, definitely will want to at some point

Me: Well, if we are going down anyway, maybe we could fit in a quick Disney Trip?

Judi: Oh yeah, that totally makes sense, sounds good

Me: Do you want to hear my other 4 points of argument or should I just quit while I am ahead?

So with that it was agreed

Next post: Details of the trip so far

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09

Last edited by TheMaxRebo; 08-24-2014 at 05:27 PM.
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Pre Trip Report: Part 2 - Initial Plans

Pre Trip Report: Part 2 - Initial Plans

Ok, so now that you know who we are, here are some details of the trip, so far...

We settled on going the last week of August as that is the last full week before my daughter, Olivia, starts Kindergarten and also the last week I was planning to take off for the new baby - my company rewards its employees with an extra 4 weeks of vacation to use when they hit 10 years with the company and I hit that last year so I had a ton of time to take off this year, so that worked out well.

After looking at room rates and flights we saw it would be much cheaper to only be there during the week, so we agreed to go:

Monday, August 25th to Friday, August 29th

As far as where to stay, part of the reason to go then was the room only discounts they have run in the past that time for either AP holders or Disney Visa holders. Well, those aren't out yet (assuming they do them again) but I wanted to get something booked so that we could get the planning started.

So for now, we are booked in:

a Garden View Royal Room at Port Orleans Riverside.

I figure worst case scenario the rooms seem really nice and Olivia will love them. If the discounts do come out we may stay there or may look to move to a monorail resort as we figure that will be easier with the stroller. Given the heavy construction that will be going on at the Polynesian at that time, that probably means the Contemporary. But we shall see.

By the way it looks pretty funny in the My Disney Experience when you have to indicate for a child that is not born yet as you have to enter everyone in your group:

Ok, so now we could get down to planning our days ... which of course means spreadsheet!

So I compile all the info I can about crowd calendars, etc. and map our proposed days with desired ADRs to make ... and today was the day to make them. Given we will have the new baby we are planning to take it pretty easy with lots of breaks, etc. so we didn't plan a ton, but I was able to get almost everything I wanted:
  • Monday Dinner: Fantasmic! dinner package at the Hollywood Brown Derby (new for us!)
  • Tuesday Breakfast: Tusker House
  • Tuesday Dinner: 'Ohana
  • Wednesday Breakfast: Cinderella's Royal Table (new for us!)
  • Wednesday Evening: Wishes Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party (new for us!)
  • Thursday Dinner: Garden Grill (new for us!)

Only thing I wasn't able to get and was interested in was Be Our Guest for dinner. We've done lunch there before and can do that again, but I thought dinner would be nice. Oh well.

So that is basically it for now. I am not sure how often I will update this, but any major developments and I will be sure to make a post.

Also, we are planning to attend the DISmeet in Hersey, PA this June so I will probably post here about that.

TTFN!

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I'm glad that you started your PTR!!!

Exciting stuff! Again, I'm sad that the first time in 4 years we will not be there the same week.

Just wait for it... those summer room discounts and AP rates will be released later. At least they always are.

Olivia will love CRT.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I'm glad that you started your PTR!!!

Exciting stuff! Again, I'm sad that the first time in 4 years we will not be there the same week.

Just wait for it... those summer room discounts and AP rates will be released later. At least they always are.

Olivia will love CRT.
Thanks Brenda - I'm glad that you are glad

Definitely bummed that our vacations don't overlap ... some year

Yeah, I figure they will be but the paranoid part of me felt more comfortable booking for now a room I am more "OK" paying full rate for. Also, I figure the less people book a monorail resort now the more motivation there is for Disney to offer up those discounts and to make them bigger

I hope Olivia enjoys CRT ... even in review/dining reports where I read some negative experiences there the kids seem to still be captivated by it

Old 02-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
guinness408
Mouseketeer

Really enjoyed your trip report and looking forward to this PTR as we'll be in disney the same week in august. I think your daughter will love CRT. This is the first trip we're skipping it and doing CP instead as my 10 year old is a pooh fanatic. My 14 year old daughter is bummed to skip CRT!

guinness408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness408 View Post
Really enjoyed your trip report and looking forward to this PTR as we'll be in disney the same week in august. I think your daughter will love CRT. This is the first trip we're skipping it and doing CP instead as my 10 year old is a pooh fanatic. My 14 year old daughter is bummed to skip CRT!
Oh cool! Starting to see a few of us that will be there that week ... maybe we can try to plan a mini-DISmeet!

We love CP - well, we loved the puffed French toast - and meeting Pooh and the gang are fun too!

Figured this was the best time to do CRT as we will be 5 people, but 2 are under 3 years old so only have to pay for 3 people and we still have the TIW card. I think Olivia will love it

Old 03-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
guinness408
Mouseketeer

Beautiful name! Congrats on your new princess to be!

guinness408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
poison ivy
DIS Veteran

Checking in to say hello. I'm just wrapping up your trip report. Love that cars land race set you bought you son for Christmas and have finally figured out how/where to get this for my grandson.

So thank you for that video!

Congratulations on your new baby girl. I wish you all the best.

Glad to hear you are planning another trip. Believe it or not, I'm psuedo at the world that same week w/ 2 nts midweek at the Marriott world center for a convention. Can't decide which side of that week to tack on a Disney stay.

Love your dining plans so far. In all my years of Disney, I have yet to do a MK breakfast pre-opening and really appreciated your review of the crystal palace. (I was bummed when we had to cancel an 8am at the CP last oct. Just couldn't rouse the group out of the treehouse that early!)

Regarding the royal guest rooms vs contemporary. That's a tough call.
We've done both. We had the garden wing at the Contemporary and I never cared for it. I personally loved the royal rooms. Also the BLT pool can be unforgiving in the hot sun. Not sure about the main pool at the Contemporary.

Of course so much depends on your touring plans and transportation needs.
Especially with 3 young children in tow. Convenience is key!!

can't wait to hear more.
poison ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie170 View Post
Lovely name! I love how she'll have her own magic band, too!
Thank you! .... it is kinda funny that she will have a band, and even Peter, despite that they don't need tickets or anything. At the very least it is a "free" souvenir

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness408 View Post
Beautiful name! Congrats on your new princess to be!
Thank you on both counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison ivy View Post
Checking in to say hello. I'm just wrapping up your trip report. Love that cars land race set you bought you son for Christmas and have finally figured out how/where to get this for my grandson.

So thank you for that video!

Congratulations on your new baby girl. I wish you all the best.

Glad to hear you are planning another trip. Believe it or not, I'm psuedo at the world that same week w/ 2 nts midweek at the Marriott world center for a convention. Can't decide which side of that week to tack on a Disney stay.

Love your dining plans so far. In all my years of Disney, I have yet to do a MK breakfast pre-opening and really appreciated your review of the crystal palace. (I was bummed when we had to cancel an 8am at the CP last oct. Just couldn't rouse the group out of the treehouse that early!)

Regarding the royal guest rooms vs contemporary. That's a tough call.
We've done both. We had the garden wing at the Contemporary and I never cared for it. I personally loved the royal rooms. Also the BLT pool can be unforgiving in the hot sun. Not sure about the main pool at the Contemporary.

Of course so much depends on your touring plans and transportation needs.
Especially with 3 young children in tow. Convenience is key!!

can't wait to hear more.
Welcome and thank you! Keep me posted on your touring plans!

We love the pre-park opening ADRs and I think will help a lot in trying to do a bit in the morning and allowing for a sizable break in the middle of the day - plus we love the photo opportunities at that time in the morning with next to no one around (course, who knows what the Hub construction will make photo backgrounds look like come August)

I very much appreciate your thoughts on resorts. I think all things being equal we would stay with the POR Royal Room - but the thought of being that close to MK and being on a monorail line with the 3 kids and at least one stroller, etc. is very tempting. But I know at times the resort Monorail doesn't run so that removes that benefit and if we stayed at the Contemporary we probably would want to be in the main tower potentially with MK views (so we can relax but still be "there") but then even with the discounts it's still pretty pricey so just trying to determine if it would be worth it

Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Wowwwww! I want to see that show so much, thank you for your review! Very detailed. It sounds like a great show for sure (although I understand what you're saying about the ending, that's too bad.)

And, returning to an earlier post I'd missed, YAYY for AP magic bands!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
amberg93
DIS Veteran

I got my AP magic band too! Only now I'm in a bit of a bind because we've already connected all our FP+ ressies to the bands that we were getting for staying on site? So I have no clue what's going to happen. I guess they could just not give us the others or whatever but I kinda want the others. I got a different color each time because Marie and I wanted to own all the colors :P

And sounds like you had a great time seeing Aladdin! I'd love to see a Disney show on Broadway but for one thing, I don't live anywhere near NYC and for another, I'm going to be starting school soon so money will have to be responsible lol

November 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter "Fine! We can go to Disney, but I'm not happy about it!" First Trip + MVMCP
October 2013 - All Star Music PTR "It's So Much Fun Not Knowing Where We're Goin" Post-Chemo + MNSSHP
May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter
amberg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
khaleesi
Life is a Special Occasion

So glad you included the Aladdin review!!! Sounds like a great time and Olivia is just so cute. What a fun day! (Minus the rain, of course.)

I'm sure it will be years before it gets here... we just got Rock of Ages last year. I think it's awesome that a lot of these shows do the touring shows so people outside of NYC can see them. Even though a trip to NYC is on my teacup list, I doubt that I'll actually ever make it to Broadway.

Trying hard to figure out a way to get to The World in December 2015. Stay tuned!

Love and pixie dust,
Sue
khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Wowwwww! I want to see that show so much, thank you for your review! Very detailed. It sounds like a great show for sure (although I understand what you're saying about the ending, that's too bad.)

And, returning to an earlier post I'd missed, YAYY for AP magic bands!
Your welcome, glad you enjoyed the review. And the ending definitely wasn't bad, just didn't build to a huge ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg93 View Post
I got my AP magic band too! Only now I'm in a bit of a bind because we've already connected all our FP+ ressies to the bands that we were getting for staying on site? So I have no clue what's going to happen. I guess they could just not give us the others or whatever but I kinda want the others. I got a different color each time because Marie and I wanted to own all the colors :P
yeah for Mickey Mail! Yeah, I am with you - not really sure how having multiple bands works. I still have my trip band connected to that reservation, so not really sure how to handle the AP band.

Owning all the colors - definitely good to have goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg93 View Post
And sounds like you had a great time seeing Aladdin! I'd love to see a Disney show on Broadway but for one thing, I don't live anywhere near NYC and for another, I'm going to be starting school soon so money will have to be responsible lol
We did have a great time! Hopefully you do get to Broadway at some point. Definitely not the cheapest of outings but something to definitely do at least once. Plus there are other things to do in NYC if you ever make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleesi View Post
So glad you included the Aladdin review!!! Sounds like a great time and Olivia is just so cute. What a fun day! (Minus the rain, of course.)

I'm sure it will be years before it gets here... we just got Rock of Ages last year. I think it's awesome that a lot of these shows do the touring shows so people outside of NYC can see them. Even though a trip to NYC is on my teacup list, I doubt that I'll actually ever make it to Broadway.
Thank you - we did have a good time, the the rain was a bummer and I even got sick the next day (which may just be due to a bug going around, but I'm sure the rain didn't help).

I could definitely see them doing Aladdin as a touring show int he future. I think they had a form of it playing in Seattle and the Broadway show ran in Toronto before coming to Broadway so I figure it can travel to some extent.

Definitely hope you get to NYC at some point - so much to see and do. Plus, if you aren't picky about which show to see, there are tons of ways to get reasonably priced tickets to various shows that are playing.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

What a great way to celebrate your birthday! Sounds like a great production and I loved your observations of the main character's performances. I can't help but think of the Disney's California Adventure Hyperion Theater version of Aladdin. The best parts are watching the interaction with Genie and the audience. Hilarious. I'm glad to see that the Broadway version is so immersive for the audience with the sets and all.

And... how exciting that you received your AP magic band. I'm beginning to doubt Disney remembers that I have a trip coming up and I NEED my MB! If that's my only problem in life, I don't have too many worries.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #15
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison ivy

I think if you have the advantage of the 60 day window you should be fine. Most of this rush seems to be within a closer proximity.

I would probably grab the first two as soon as the window opens, and just take any other two FP+ picks/times that come up. Then go right back in to grab your next two.

Is it required to have one for the baby?
My understanding is that if they don't need a ticket they don't need a FP+ so neither Peter nor the baby will need one

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: