Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hotel walls are boring, aka "the one where we got sick"

Welcome to my super-exciting trip report, currently known as "Hotel walls are boring, aka 'the one where we got sick'.

As I continue to feel better and more positive, the title might change.

I could probably leave the whole report at the title, honestly. But I have a few brightly colored pictures, so maybe I'll write some more.

This January trip started off as a plan for a cruise. Pre-trip report here. February 10 of last year, we disembarked our first Disney cruise, wondering if we liked cruising itself or if we liked Disney cruising. DH (Robert) and I (Molly) knew we liked Radiance of the Seas in Alaska, but that was 10 years ago. I started looking at Royal Caribbean's cruises, and found a neat itinerary. Canaveral, Cococay, at sea, San Juan, Sint Maarten, at sea, at sea, Canaveral.

Then I realized I wanted to sign up for the WDW half Marathon. So I did. Only afterwards did I realize how far apart the Half was from the cruise, but both had been booked. We flirted with the idea of coming home in between. That seemed boring to me.

I decided to get to town early to get on the right time zone. That was a highly dubious decision. Getting up that early was going to be hard anyway.

So over time it became:
DS and I get into town on Jan 4
5K with DS on the 9th
DS does Mickey Mile on the 10th
I run the Half on the 11th
Go to Daytona on the 13th to spend time with extended family
Pick up DH at the airport on the 18th, to start time at Universal
Board Freedom of the Seas on the 26th, disembark on the 2nd, fly home.

This trip was to be the last of this sort of trip, because the kiddo is now in a dance company that follows the school calendar. We had to clear this trip with them before E could accept the invitation to join the company. This was a Really Big Deal.

I had GRAND plans. I homeschool my son, and we had done some lessons on Florida history and geography, on San Juan, on St Maarten. We had done some "and this is how much things cost" lessons by looking at all the excursions to be booked through the cruiseline. We had plans that would go along with that work once we got to Florida and San Juan (both have a Ponce de Leon connection).

We didn't, couldn't, do any of the follow up work.

Because on the 6th, I got sick. Megasick. Then the kiddo got it. Then my extended family got it. Didn't ease for us until just before the cruise. Got home and both DS and I ended up with ear problems. At the time that I started writing this, we were sitting on the couch, whimpering and saying "what?" a lot. Unhappy campers, is what we were.

Now we've fast-forwarded some days since I wrote the above as a first draft. We've both seen our naturopaths and we've gotten both eastern-type help and some western medicine help. We are now feeling MUCH better. And we're barely saying "what" anymore, plus, I can talk again most of the time (I lost most of my voice). It's amazing how much more positive I am when I feel better. Hmm, go figure!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 02-19-2014 at 05:42 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to all the gory details lol
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

January 4

Our flight left at 8 or 8:30, can't remember which. We were supposed to be walking in at 6, go through security, and I was going to have a massage and then a manicure.

We got there later than that. Security was annoying. DS got TSA Prechek and I did not. The TSA guy was a poop about it when I asked a question, and seemed to be sending me away. Except that the entrance to the main line was ALSO there. So I went back, went past him, and to the next TSA guy. He looked at our boarding passes silently and pointed us to the left instead of the right. I went along with it; it was the family line. Which then linked up with the Prechek line. Bwa ha ha...

Massage place...closed? Wait, closed. It wasn't closed last October at this hour. Harumph. Didn't open until 8. Bah.

Went to Butter London for a manicure. It was OK, but after 3 days it was chipping. Wah.

Got some coffee and food, got on the plane with the kiddo! Saw this, and it made us a little jealous.

Fly fly fly, land. Get bags, go to Alamo, get a car. Got a VW Passat for the next two weeks. Drive to Pop with a stop at a Hess for snacks, water, and a Foster's for me.

I don't remember feeling sick, but I remember being a little slow in my thought process. I didn't think to ask for help in getting our bags to the room. I was a bit chilly. When the CM asked for a MagicBand to check if it was set up correctly, I couldn't remember which MB was the one for that part of the stay. That's not important to WDW, but it was, a little bit, to me.

Had to take more than one trip to our Preferred Pool View room (#1402), and while doing that (and cursing the universe for not making it obvious if there were luggage people to help) I got that feeling. You know the feeling when you KNOW you're getting a cold. Sometimes it's a funny sneeze that's just different. Sometimes it's a chill in the bones. Who knows what the feeling is, but everyone I've ever known to catch a cold or get an illness has had the experience. As we were dragging the last bunch of bags, I just felt that.

Not good.

This, however, was cool and good and unexpected!

There's my Owner Locker, just sitting there in the room! I didn't have to ask luggage services to bring it; it was just THERE. So dang cool.

I really really liked our room at Pop. The location was a bit funky when tired or dragging 1000 bags, but if not tired it would have been fine.

Coat pegs. So helpful!

Curtains from bed area to vanity area.

Vanity areas. Safe! Ironing board and iron! Ample room for hangers. Space to put stuff above...aw man, could have put some bags up there. Actually I, personally, couldn't have done so because my left shoulder was hurting something fierce by then. I was in such pain. So I couldn't have lifted it. We actually had to pack carryons differently because it was just me and Eamon; he's too short to put bags up, and I couldn't do much with my left arm.

Safe!

I thought the bathroom/shower was pretty nice.

Overtaken by stuff so quickly.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 02-18-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along!
Yay, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
Looking forward to all the gory details lol
Hoping I can remember them.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Oh, yeah. That feeling. I just had it a week ago. Thanks for the pics of Pop! I can't believe they pre-delivered your Owner's Locker-- that has never happened to us! I debated about getting ours for this week-- it's such a short trip-- but decided the sound-cancelling machine -- and any spare Fresca I have in there -- was enough of a reason. I can't justify ordering Fresca for delivery when it's just me. I live without it for 9 days when I go to Romania in the summer, so I know I'll survive--at least Disney has ICE!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I am here!!!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I had this page up and didn't load before I posted. You got an update in there!

I think that is one of my worst fears when it comes to a trip... getting "that" feeling.

Having owners locker there already sounds like a good thing considering you already were starting to feel poorly and had just dealt with all your luggage. I have been considering an owners locker. You basically get it delivered for one trip a year, right? Or it cost a bit more?

Your report is off to a great start.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
Oh, yeah. That feeling. I just had it a week ago. Thanks for the pics of Pop! I can't believe they pre-delivered your Owner's Locker-- that has never happened to us! I debated about getting ours for this week-- it's such a short trip-- but decided the sound-cancelling machine -- and any spare Fresca I have in there -- was enough of a reason. I can't justify ordering Fresca for delivery when it's just me. I live without it for 9 days when I go to Romania in the summer, so I know I'll survive--at least Disney has ICE!
Do you go to Romania every year? That's really neat!

I'm slowly starting to work out a "this is what we do" sort of trip plan. Rather than the "every time I get a whim" plan we've been doing now. Especially since we have been bit by the cruise bug BIG time, we have to plan this all out now. And we are now working inside the school system's schedule because of dance, it's gotta be planned!

This visit was an extra delivery of the OL, but I did like having it. Can't quite remember what it has in it, LOL, but I wasn't unhappy to have it, except for when I had to move it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I had this page up and didn't load before I posted. You got an update in there!

I think that is one of my worst fears when it comes to a trip... getting "that" feeling.

Having owners locker there already sounds like a good thing considering you already were starting to feel poorly and had just dealt with all your luggage. I have been considering an owners locker. You basically get it delivered for one trip a year, right? Or it cost a bit more?

Your report is off to a great start.
You get it delivered once per year for the yearly fee, and I think it was $25 for the extra delivery. [if you go even more often, though, you can get a higher level plan] Whatever I had in there made it worth it; we do tend to keep things like packets of safe hot chocolate, etc etc, in there (in zip top bags) so it saves some trips to the grocery store.

Having it sitting there was really unexpected and surprising! A bright spot.

I would have had a second post last night but I made a copy/cut/paste error and lost what I had typed. Whoops. You all know how disheartening that can be!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

rundisney is killing me.

Labor Day, Disneyland Half. Already signed up. This gets me the coasttocoast medal.

For other reasons, heading to Florida in late-ish October.
We all go home and then I fly back out for a solo or girl's trip for the Wine&Dine Nov 9. (planned, not signed up yet)

Now there's a new DLR race. Avengers themed. Eamon is kicking himself that he said "no" to signing him up for the 5K at Disneyland. Unless I'm reading the rules wrong, doing this and the Wine&Dine would get me a SECOND coasttocoast medal.

Problem? It's the weekend after Wine&Dine.

They are trying to kill me. I know they are.

(and if I got in on the inaugural year....I'd be a "legacy" for something for the first time in my life!)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

I'm SOOO with you on the RunDisney thing. Honestly, I'm seriously starting to plan my life around it. My daughter and granddaughter are trying to plan our first trip trip next year around it without impacting our park time. The problem is her DH's birthday is Feb. 25 and my grandson's is the 26th, and we don't want to miss them. Nor do we want to go over President's Day.

But this is after we go this April, John and I go in May, Molly and I go again in August with my sister and niece and John and I go again in December with our other son and DIL, who just graduated from nursing school-- oh, and we're all going to her graduation in May in Virginia too -- and Molly and I will spend a few days in Ocean City in June and possibly August-- and I'm going to my mom's in Michigan at the end of March for her 85th birthday, and my sister and I are going to take her to Chicago for a few days.

See, this is why John says I can't do more RunDisney trips this year

I loved Pop, BTW. It was perfect for me. So glad I didn't give in and shell out another $500 for a hotel room in a mod or even more for a deluxe. I had such a great time, I can't believe I actually did it!

Really enjoying your report, as always.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Aha. Registration page for DVC enter to the W&D: "Limit 1 medal per runner per calendar year."

So it seems the princess thing this year is the exception.

I'm so glad you liked Pop. If I can't secure a studio at BW for the W&D (using some of 2015 points to do so), if Pop is one of the host resorts, I'll likely stay there. It's just so cute.

I'm all done for the W&D now. Cool.

Did I tell you guys that I have this Half coming up on the 15th, and while they let everyone finish, they time it to a 13 minute mile and the police send everyone to the sidewalks if you go slower than that. I'm scared! That was on a page that wasn't complete when I signed up for it; the other page just talks about how everyone can finish blah blah. 13 minute mile. And I haven't properly run since Jan 11. Help.

Tonight I'm striving to continue writing. I'm feeling more and more positive, or at least learning-lesson-ish, about all of the events, so that's good.

Last edited by bumbershoot; 02-26-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
rundisney is killing me.

Labor Day, Disneyland Half. Already signed up. This gets me the coasttocoast medal.

For other reasons, heading to Florida in late-ish October.
We all go home and then I fly back out for a solo or girl's trip for the Wine&Dine Nov 9. (planned, not signed up yet)

Now there's a new DLR race. Avengers themed. Eamon is kicking himself that he said "no" to signing him up for the 5K at Disneyland. Unless I'm reading the rules wrong, doing this and the Wine&Dine would get me a SECOND coasttocoast medal.

Problem? It's the weekend after Wine&Dine.

They are trying to kill me. I know they are.

(and if I got in on the inaugural year....I'd be a "legacy" for something for the first time in my life!)
I know!!! RD is trying to kill me too. AND it is making me choose them over another race I really wanted to do. However... legacy... legacy would be super cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Aha. Registration page for DVC enter to the W&D: "Limit 1 medal per runner per calendar year."

So it seems the princess thing this year is the exception.

Did I tell you guys that I have this Half coming up on the 15th, and while they let everyone finish, they time it to a 13 minute mile and the police send everyone to the sidewalks if you go slower than that. I'm scared! That was on a page that wasn't complete when I signed up for it; the other page just talks about how everyone can finish blah blah. 13 minute mile. And I haven't properly run since Jan 11. Help.

Tonight I'm striving to continue writing. I'm feeling more and more positive, or at least learning-lesson-ish, about all of the events, so that's good.
Yeah I was gonna tell you that one per calendar year.

Good luck on the half!!! That is exciting!! I am sure you will do just fine. Who knows, maybe the break from running will have given you enough time to heal and your body will be like "go go go"
Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Can you be legacy for a 5K? Eamon would soooo love to do this 5K.

And by the way, they are silly. If they can do some special pink medal for doing specific races, and if THAT can go along with the other C2C, they can allow other C2C medals. Silly. No good reason.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

As I'm getting ready to head to the start this morning, I'm remembering the final "kick in the pants" moment after the WDW Half.

It was when I took OFF my compression socks (not just sleeves, but socks) and realized that they have specific sides to them, and I had put them on the wrong feet. No wonder even my feet felt wrong that day!

Oh I'm going to look a sight today...green knee-high compression socks, and black shorts, with my pale pale legs in between, LOL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: